Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Clarste posted:

People who like NFTs don't care what they are, they just want them to go up in value so they can sell them. They are also not especially good at judging what will go up in value.

Anything they have, from appearance to utility, is purely there to increase the value when they sell (or, more likely, are used as collateral to get loans). No-one wants to actually own them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Somfin posted:

Anything they have, from appearance to utility, is purely there to increase the value when they sell (or, more likely, are used as collateral to get loans). No-one wants to actually own them.

That's not true, some nfts are designed for people to actually own them (because they give access to a ponzi-like income stream fueled by other people buying more nfts or nft derivatives). This is how axie infinity worked for example.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So NFT trading has fallen 97% since January. Yet they keep pushing this stuff.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Lammasu posted:

But that would mean having to admit they were wrong!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
They're just treating it like the stock market; it's when it hits the bottom that you should buy in, it can only go up from here!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

That's not true, some nfts are designed for people to actually own them (because they give access to a ponzi-like income stream fueled by other people buying more nfts or nft derivatives). This is how axie infinity worked for example.

If axie infinity could have sold its NFTs without an underlying game, it would have done so in a heartbeat. The game was a shallow grindfest and existed exclusively to pump up the value of the NFTs and their associated crypto.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Lammasu posted:

A lot of them almost certainly started their plans to get in on this stuff while it was at its peak. Now that it's fallen so far they have two options: give up, and get no money, or release it anyway, and get some money (even if it isn't enough to make a profit). They'd rather get some money than no money.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Press F to Buy The Dip

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Metaverse project Decentaland had 38 active users.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

I like the "Vaporverse" term and hope that it sticks.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/symbiogenesisPR/status/1588034548591341568

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Why are they still doing this? Gamers didn't want NFTs, only speculators did, and most of them got out when the market collapsed.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Lammasu posted:

Why are they still doing this? Gamers didn't want NFTs, only speculators did, and most of them got out when the market collapsed.

Corporate projects take forever to happen, and this probably got started during the hype

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Anticheese posted:

Corporate projects take forever to happen, and this probably got started during the hype

Can't they just cancel it? I mean Discovery canceled the Batgirl and Scooby Doo movies.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Is it even a game?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Lammasu posted:

Can't they just cancel it? I mean Discovery canceled the Batgirl and Scooby Doo movies.

Its the president of Square Enix's pet project, and they sold off a bunch of popular franchises to fund it. No way is he going to admit he majorly hosed up.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Lammasu posted:

Sure, but they may have done so much work on it that it makes more financial sense to finish it and reap whatever meagre revenue they can get out of it. Then there’s the sunk cost fallacy, which might cause them to do that even if it makes more financial sense to scrap the project and cut their losses.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Its the president of Square Enix's pet project, and they sold off a bunch of popular franchises to fund it. No way is he going to admit he majorly hosed up.

They did not, and would have done this project even if they didn't sell Eidos

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I imagine whoever sold them on the idea in the first place has convinced them that the backlash from gamers is no different than it was when Oblivion sold Horse Armor

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

They did not, and would have done this project even if they didn't sell Eidos

Tomb Raider and Deus Ex are pretty huge (plus some other notable IPs, but they are a bit niche), licensing them out to developers would give a larger return than selling them at firesale prices.

Winding down their overseas offices might make financial sense though. SE still have a ton of games in development. It's hard to say without having more insight into their financials.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

Tomb Raider and Deus Ex are pretty huge (plus some other notable IPs, but they are a bit niche), licensing them out to developers would give a larger return than selling them at firesale prices.

Winding down their overseas offices might make financial sense though. SE still have a ton of games in development. It's hard to say without having more insight into their financials.

This might very well be but then they come out with their 2022 annual report and the following statement:

quote:

“Achieving major growth in the game industry is difficult now for companies that compete primarily in the Japanese market, given its graying demographics. As such, it is critical for our business that we produce hit titles that speak to the global market, which offers greater scale in terms of both customers and sales volumes,” Square Enix added (thanks, NME).

https://www.eurogamer.net/square-enix-wants-to-make-global-hit-titles-and-believes-blockchain-will-play-a-key-part-in-future-growth

It seems they suddenly realized that number can''t get higher in Japan so they need to sell more in the west. You would think that this is easier with one or two already established studios and franchises.
I'm really curious how FF16 is gonna turn out. With the disaster of Babylons Fall and the insistence to stick with NFT projects, the company seems as clueless as back in 2010 when FF14 initially released.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Stuff like Forspoken, the FF7 remake and Harvestella should have pretty broad appeal, I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with some more crossover titles in 2023. But SE sometimes make extremely weird decisions, so maybe I'm just trying to impose rational decision making on something which really isn't.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The entire east/west split was bad for both Eidos and Square Enix and getting rid of them was the best for both parties

The CEO's love of NFT is separate to that, like the Million Arthur NFT thing they did that probably brought them like ten dollars total

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

I imagine whoever sold them on the idea in the first place has convinced them that the backlash from gamers is no different than it was when Oblivion sold Horse Armor

Did horse armor make lots of money? I thought that bombed as the early scapegoat but later iterations of microtransactions/DLC created our modern gaming hellscape

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

ninjewtsu posted:

Did horse armor make lots of money? I thought that bombed as the early scapegoat but later iterations of microtransactions/DLC created our modern gaming hellscape

Probably not but it was the harbinger of microtransactions in gaming, SE might expect a lot of negative backlash but if they can get in early on what they see as the continuation of the microtransaction trend it could be worth it.

We can only hope the wider public continues to reject this garbage.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The market for NFTs cratered earlier this year so it's looking good for the anti- side.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think my fear with this stuff is that somehow someway companies are going to make this happen, it's just another way to nickle and dime consumers and if they can just get people to begrudgingly accept it by building it into a product they already use it oculd just become the norm like microtransactions.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I think microtransactions had way more of a case for "this might be helpful or beneficial at some point" than NFTs

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Eurogamer: Blockchain technology key to Square Enix's growth, financial results show

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
What an awful article.
Summary: "huh, sales and revenue are shrinking for everything besides FF14. Now I will list some random blockchain plans squenix has and make no attempt to tie them to the title or to write a conclusion."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah, uh, there's nothing in that article that supports the leading statement of the headline.

"Square is in a sales slump" and "Square is investing heavily into blockchain" does not mean "Blockchain is key to Square's growth".

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Year in Review

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What an utter, disgusting poo poo show this loving poo poo was. God, when I think of how much time was spent on trying to push this uselessness onto games, which added NOTHING to the functionality of a loving game.

Idiotic!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Meanwhile, Square Enix continues to insist that blockchain is a good idea and all the pie-in-the-sky ideas about nft games will happen in 2023.

lmao

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I can't help but wonder how much of it is an attempt to save face. Because the alternative is someone saying "yeah, we sold off Tomb Raider and Deus Ex and a bunch of other poo poo for pennies on the dollar so we could plow it into this thing that, haha whoops, is a lovely boondoggle that customers loathe," and I think that's a severe enough admission that you wouldn't get to keep your golden parachute.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Smart move would be to just stop talking about it, let it quietly die while telling any braindead investor that asks about it that it's 'still in development'. (And then never finish it.) Slowly try to rebuild your brands and get your business back on track.

But that requires forward thinking, and most top level executives can't stop fellating their 'quarterly reports' to allow their brains oxygen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What game of squares will have their first nft?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
No idea but this makes me super happy they lost Hitman several years ago. Imagine if every item in your inventory was an NFT...

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

I said come in! posted:

What game of squares will have their first nft?

I think the first one was last year, tied to an FF7R figurine.

This is not a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Drakenel posted:

Smart move would be to just stop talking about it, let it quietly die while telling any braindead investor that asks about it that it's 'still in development'. (And then never finish it.) Slowly try to rebuild your brands and get your business back on track.

But that requires forward thinking, and most top level executives can't stop fellating their 'quarterly reports' to allow their brains oxygen.

Isn't this what Ubisoft is doing? I haven't heard about their NFT stuff in long long while.