Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I have a 5600x running with the stock cooler. Under a gaming load I'll peak at ~90 with normal temps fluctuating between 75 and 85. Idle is below 45. However a full use stress test is *supposed to* hit 95 and stay there.

My opinion is while you will get more out of the chip with an aftermarket cooler, seeing 95C in gaming is not normal even on the stock cooler and indicative of a physical installation problem. The stock cooler is perfectly adequate for normal loads with this CPU.

Not that it will damage the chip - the way they're designed these days it won't let you go too high temp without throttling down... but that's exactly the problem, every time you hit the thermal limit the chip will limit its performance to keep itself within acceptable temps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It could also easily be an airflow problem. If the PC is a closed-off hotbox, then the CPU will overheat quite easily with the stock cooler.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

It may be a cooler installation problem, which would probably be the first time this happened for me (always had normal temps).

The case is a Phanteks P400 - two 140 fans in front, one 120 in back, glass side, ventilated top without a fan. It was just dusted inside and out. No temperature issues with the previous Wraith and 2600x.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

small butter posted:

It may be a cooler installation problem, which would probably be the first time this happened for me (always had normal temps).

The case is a Phanteks P400 - two 140 fans in front, one 120 in back, glass side, ventilated top without a fan. It was just dusted inside and out. No temperature issues with the previous Wraith and 2600x.

Solid or mesh front panel? I had a P400 with a solid front panel and four or five 120mm fans in it and it still overheated with a 5600X because of how little ventilation that front panel offered. If you have a solid front panel, you can get the mesh front panel for like $20 from phanteks' site.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Solid.

However, the temperatures with the old stock cooler on the 2600x were fine. It was warmer than I would have liked, but I don't recall anything past 80, let alone 100.

I'll try the cooler I bought and see what happens.

Edit: changed the watt limit to 65 and it's around 85 on full GPU + CPU load. Will still switch coolers.

small butter fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 2, 2023

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://youtu.be/vWtPDCCkHko

:flashfap:

Just found out Fractal made another case. Nothing fancy but wood slats on the front with gold accents on the external ports goddamn.

Only issue for me is if I'm weak and end up getting a 4080, will any of them actually fit length and width wise. That being said I never really considered having a lit set up in the interior of a PC before but that finished build is sexy as hell.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Jiro posted:

https://youtu.be/vWtPDCCkHko

:flashfap:

Just found out Fractal made another case. Nothing fancy but wood slats on the front with gold accents on the external ports goddamn.

Only issue for me is if I'm weak and end up getting a 4080, will any of them actually fit length and width wise. That being said I never really considered having a lit set up in the interior of a PC before but that finished build is sexy as hell.

He shows a 4090 fitting. Just get a cable extension / right angle connector for the GPU power cable.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

My temps dropped like 15c swapping my 3900x out to my 5800x3d. I used the swipe method for covering the CPU. Last time I used the pea method and it looked like it didn't cover the whole thing when I took the CPU cooler off. Either way I'm very happy.

I swapped my AIO to the top of the case as well. Either way I've doubled my FPS in WoW all the way across the board. I get 100fps in Valdrakken and 250fps in dungeons at 3440x1440 ultra wide. Very very happy.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I’m having a hell of a time finding an ATX 3.0 psu. Who even makes them right now?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I've only seen MSI I think.

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009
Looking for advice on whether it would be better to upgrade my current system or just start over with a new build

Current system:
Ryzen 2400g
GTX 980
2x8GB 3200MHz DDR4
Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H
Seasonic Focus Gold 550W

Realistically I'm just looking to play stuff nicely at 1080p60 and have a video going at the same time on a second monitor without the whole system chugging. I've been out of the loop for years but it looks like I can just drop something like a 5700x and a better gpu in there? What would be a good gpu that wouldn't be completely overkill? Or would it just be better to start with a 13600 or w/e and build something new around that. All this stuff changes so fast so I'm pretty lost on this lol. No hard budget but I'm only looking to throw a max of about $1000 at it (not including monitors/peripherals) unless spending a bit more would be real worth it

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dave Matthews Big Fan! posted:

Looking for advice on whether it would be better to upgrade my current system or just start over with a new build

Current system:
Ryzen 2400g
GTX 980
2x8GB 3200MHz DDR4
Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H
Seasonic Focus Gold 550W

Realistically I'm just looking to play stuff nicely at 1080p60 and have a video going at the same time on a second monitor without the whole system chugging. I've been out of the loop for years but it looks like I can just drop something like a 5700x and a better gpu in there? What would be a good gpu that wouldn't be completely overkill? Or would it just be better to start with a 13600 or w/e and build something new around that. All this stuff changes so fast so I'm pretty lost on this lol. No hard budget but I'm only looking to throw a max of about $1000 at it (not including monitors/peripherals) unless spending a bit more would be real worth it

What is your case like, and how is the ventilation?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Alright, I'm looking to get back into desktop builds after a cozy 15 years of mid-end laptop enjoyment. Mostly because I went to uni, wanted a portable machine (at the time I still took notes on paper, so it was mostly so I could ferry it around when visiting the parents) and never looked back. Since then I've kept getting midrange laptops for the most part. My current laptop is a 2016 model and starting to show its age - the 1060 6GB is struggling with the more demanding games I'm playing, the 500GB SSD is too small and I'd like a non-external upgrade, the i7-7700 is struggling to handle multiple twitch streams at this point, a couple of the keys are coming off the keyboard, etc. I've recently settled down into a fairly well-paying job and will be spending more time in one place, so I figure it's about the right time.

What country are you in? Norway
Do you live near Microcenter? N/A
What are you using the system for? Browsing, watching poo poo, gaming - including some more demanding games
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. I'm hoping to spend ~$1800 max on the system. I will also need 2 decent monitors and a keyboard since I'm using a laptop atm, and can budget them separately. I'm hoping not to spend more than about ~$200-250 per monitor ideally.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Seriously answer this. It drastically changes the recommendations you will get. Alright so, the most important thing for me is stable framerate. I don't play a single game where I care about pushing refresh rate - it's mostly RPGs and action-adventure games at the highend, with the games that really kind of sucked playing being stuff like Cyberpunk (abandoned my first playthrough partly due to poo poo framerate even, but mostly because of buuuugs) and Elden Ring in the past couple years. Even Path of Exile has brought my PC to its knees occasionally, albeit I suspect that's a lot on the CPU as well. I'm looking to play Starfield, Armored Core, etc coming up. I've never really played shooters and after ruining my wrists on Starcraft 2 ranked back in 2012-14 or so, I don't have the body for it anyway. What I want is a build that can sustain 60FPS Ultra on 1440p ideally in the upcoming games mentioned - granted they don't have specs out yet but you know. Higher FPS is a bonus, and I can survive High settings now and then - not like I'm used to anything other than throwing all the settings to low on startup. 4K isn't interesting to me, probably won't have large enough monitors to take advantage of it on my budget anyway. I have never had a monitor with refresh rate above 75Hz, and other than my work setup every machine I've had has been 1080p resolution since the last time I built a PC (I was 15, my cousin did like 70% of the work).

If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? Not really applicable, I do some coding stuff for work and hobby but nothing really involving heavy GPU, storage or processor work - the only exception is AI since it takes a lot of resources to train even simple neural networks but I just used Google Colab for that last I tinkered with it about 10 months ago.

I would like a solid PSU and motherboard for potential future upgrades as well. Also a decent amount of storage - a lot of my storage currently is going to media files and a surprising number of very low resource-required games (think adventure games, casual games like Slay the Spire, emulation of GBA/DS games - got back into Pokemon recently - etc) so I dunno if I should grab an SSD + HD split, or just go for one big SSD. I haven't actually experienced a HDD in like 11 years at this point so I don't remember how poo poo it feels.

My biggest challenge for building has been living in Norway. That means most common online resources for building are extremely tedious to use because the prices and availability feel like they rarely match US very well - components that are good value over there are often priced quite differently compared to its competitors here. Prices are also generally higher, although not consistently so - for example, I see fresh 4080s are quite a bit more expensive over here, ranging from $1500 at the cheapest to ~$2400 for the majority. But 3080s look more similarly priced - a couple cheap ones at ~$1000, which matches the cheapest I see on pcpartpicker. That is still probably too much for one component though - would rather build a solid system with a slightly lower-range GPU and upgrade the GPU again in 12-30 months or whatever. Second biggest challenge is simply compatibility - I've been out of the building game for like 17 years now and haven't paid attention to this kind of stuff at all, so I'm purely relying on external feedback to figure out what components work together and fit on my motherboard/in my case, etc.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 2, 2023

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

What is your case like, and how is the ventilation?

Oh yea my bad, case is a Thermaltake Core V21 with just the large intake fan it comes with. It's got a ton of room for more fans, I just never got around to adding more in (lazy). I def will if I decide to keep using it though

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’d say a 5600 and 6600XT/6700XT would be a nice upgrade. I wonder if the CPU upgrade alone would be enough too. You could spring for the 5700X but I doubt it’s necessary in your case.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If you're good on waiting a little longer AMD should be announcing the 3D versions of their new CPUs soon, which could be compelling.
Any estimation on how long until they're available for purchase? Does '3D' mean anything beyond just being a newer / better model.

Should I be planning around an X670 mobo instead of a 570? And how much RAM should I be looking to get for the next few years of gaming, 32 or 64GB?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

literally this big posted:

Any estimation on how long until they're available for purchase? Does '3D' mean anything beyond just being a newer / better model.

Should I be planning around an X670 mobo instead of a 570? And how much RAM should I be looking to get for the next few years of gaming, 32 or 64GB?

The "3D" is because they stack more cache on top of them, and they tend to dramatically over perform for gaming. They might also be pretty expensive, and tend not to clock as high so they may not be much faster for non-gaming loads.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

literally this big posted:

With a budget like you proposed I would definitely be eyeing up an AM5 or 13th Gen Intel build. I don’t think you should be too concerned about getting an X3D chip, but if you want to see what gets announced at CES, it won’t hurt.

B650 might do all you need if you’re put off by X670/Z790 prices.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The next-gen X3D parts are not expected to be announced at CES, but maybe AMD will surprise us. I think they're a few months out still.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Good to know, thanks. I was planning on the TUFF X570 before, so I'll probably go with a TUFF X670E.

A bunch more questions:
-I see some higher-end motherboards have 10GB/s ethernet ports, versus the regular 2.5. Is there any practical benefit to that?
-Supported DDR5 RAM speed range from 4800 to 6400. Is there much practical benefit to going with 6400 RAM, or where is the practical sweet spot?
-How much (if at all) should I care amount CAS, latency, and/or timings?
-For the 'foreseeable future' of gaming, should I be aiming for 32, 64, or 128 GB of RAM?
-Similarly, how many cores should I be aiming for? For gaming, it it worth it to spring for the Ryzen 7900 / 7950, over the 7700?
-I'm thinking about spending a little extra for a top-line NVMe SSD for installing the OS and key programs. The Samsung 980 Pro looks ideal, with a WD 770 as extra storage for 'secondary' programs.
-For PSU ratings, what's the difference between Gold, Platinum, and Titanium?

That's all I can think of for now, thanks. :v:

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

My nephews are turning 12 and I would like to look into buying/building them a pc they can game with for their birthday. Right now they like what I assume are not graphically intensive games that are physics based like Totally Accurate Battle Simulator or whatever youtubers play to create content with. Nothing AAA within like the last decade since they have a PS4 for that and don't really like that poo poo anyway. It looks like pcpartpicker has an Intel and AMD entry level gaming desktop they recommend. I like that the AMD build does not appear to require a GPU which would make it easier to upgrade them in a year or two and is what I am leaning towards.

Are both of these goodish for their stated purpose? The GPU on the intel build is ~$250. Could I get away with something cheaper to get it closer to the AMD build (if going Intel is overall preferable)? Any tweaks to either build that make sense?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

My nephews are turning 12 and I would like to look into buying/building them a pc they can game with for their birthday. Right now they like what I assume are not graphically intensive games that are physics based like Totally Accurate Battle Simulator or whatever youtubers play to create content with. Nothing AAA within like the last decade since they have a PS4 for that and don't really like that poo poo anyway. It looks like pcpartpicker has an Intel and AMD entry level gaming desktop they recommend. I like that the AMD build does not appear to require a GPU which would make it easier to upgrade them in a year or two and is what I am leaning towards.

Are both of these goodish for their stated purpose? The GPU on the intel build is ~$250. Could I get away with something cheaper to get it closer to the AMD build (if going Intel is overall preferable)? Any tweaks to either build that make sense?

The entry AMD one absolutely not, the 5600G is basically only good for the lowest of low spec games and in what I believe is a fairly CPU intensive game like TABS it'll struggle. You could build a decent system for them with a 5600 (non-X) CPU and a 6600 (non-XT) GPU for reasonably cheap right now. Both last gen parts that are getting nice and cheap (the 6600 has been seen for under $200 lately though it seems to be around $250 right now). Something like this (consider the GPU to just be any 6600 you can find for a decent price, I just put the XFX there because I like how it looks).
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FrjqMb

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
If you live near a micro center you might be able to take advantage of their deal to get a 3600 + mobo for 120 bucks, it’d save you 100 over the list above. It’s not as good as the 5600 though https://www.microcenter.com/product/5006114/amd-ryzen-5-3600-with-wraith-stealth-cooler,-gigabyte-b450m-ds3h-wifi,-cpu-motherboard-combo

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

JackBandit posted:

If you live near a micro center you might be able to take advantage of their deal to get a 3600 + mobo for 120 bucks, it’d save you 100 over the list above. It’s not as good as the 5600 though https://www.microcenter.com/product/5006114/amd-ryzen-5-3600-with-wraith-stealth-cooler,-gigabyte-b450m-ds3h-wifi,-cpu-motherboard-combo

I was going to suggest something like that, but didn't have the time to really put together an example build on PCPartpicker right now. My secondary machine built around hand-me-downs from my primary machine is a 3600X and 2070 Super on a B550 with 32GB of 3200 C16 and is more than competent.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

JackBandit posted:

I hope they keep these/similar AM4 deals up, this would be perfect for a friend's build but she won't be available for an upgrade for a few more months.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

JackBandit posted:

Yep - I snagged this just last week at $130 to be the base of a system slapped together with parts I had laying around. It’s not impressive, but is a perfectly stable and performant solution. No stability issues or weirdness to report - it supports ReBAR and above 4GB decoding, has NVMe, and its only real limitation is PCIe 3.0. But at the price, why complain?

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
For whatever reason I keep crashing playing Cyberpunk/Halo Infinite.

And since I've kinda been plagued by issues since I got my 5600x I kinda want to just upgrade now. I'm wondering if I should try and snag a MicroCenter deal before the end of the week or just keep living with my quirks until new stuff drops and DDR5 is even cheaper.

Also, has Intel committed anything to motherboard reusability?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Whitest Russian posted:

For whatever reason I keep crashing playing Cyberpunk/Halo Infinite.

And since I've kinda been plagued by issues since I got my 5600x I kinda want to just upgrade now. I'm wondering if I should try and snag a MicroCenter deal before the end of the week or just keep living with my quirks until new stuff drops and DDR5 is even cheaper.

Also, has Intel committed anything to motherboard reusability?

Have you memchecked the RAM?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

njsykora posted:

The entry AMD one absolutely not, the 5600G is basically only good for the lowest of low spec games and in what I believe is a fairly CPU intensive game like TABS it'll struggle. You could build a decent system for them with a 5600 (non-X) CPU and a 6600 (non-XT) GPU for reasonably cheap right now. Both last gen parts that are getting nice and cheap (the 6600 has been seen for under $200 lately though it seems to be around $250 right now). Something like this (consider the GPU to just be any 6600 you can find for a decent price, I just put the XFX there because I like how it looks).
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FrjqMb

Thanks for running through that with me. Is the Intel chip they use as bad or is the 5600 more equivalent to the i3?

JackBandit posted:

I wish :/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Thanks for running through that with me. Is the Intel chip they use as bad or is the 5600 more equivalent to the i3?

The 12100 isn't bad at all, it was the budget CPU king before Ryzen 5000 prices started to fall hard so now they're the same price you might as well get the 5600. Though with the Intel motherboard socket you could upgrade it to a 13xxx CPU further down the line, whereas any upgrade on the AMD path would be minor or require a whole motherboard and RAM replacement.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Have you memchecked the RAM?

I just did, the memory kit is fine.

I'm tired of chasing down AMD issues.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

I just built two computers using the Fractal North case last night and noticed that I'm not getting an LED light around the front panel, neither the power button nor the strip/line. I saw an image from Guru3D that looks like this:

I'm pretty that that there was an LED front panel connector there. Does anyone have this case and are you getting an LED light like above?

EDIT: Just noticed the same image on the official site. I probably plugged the LED front panel in wrong.

EDIT 2: My motherboard (Gigabyte Aorus Master B650E) has two sets of power led pins, one with 2 pins and one with 3 pins. I put in the two pins into the three pins "section" of the front panel connector, which was wrong.

small butter fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 4, 2023

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I've got a Ryzen 5600 in a NR200 (mesh panel) with a B550m-ITX and i'm currently running the stock cooler which is fine as i'm not OC'ing but it's pretty loud and want something a bit quieter.

Is there a list anywhere that contains compatible coolers?

Thirteenth Step fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 4, 2023

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Thirteenth Step posted:

I've got a Ryzen 5600 in a NR200 (mesh panel) with a B550m-ITX and i'm currently running the stock cooler which is fine as i'm not OC'ing but it's pretty loud and want something a bit quieter.

Is there a list anywhere that contains compatible coolers that will fit?

Check out the Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 if you want to stick with low profile, I'm using it on a 5600X and it's dead quiet. Otherwise most tower coolers under 155mm should fit

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Was able to snag one of those msi atx 3.0 power supplies last night at 2 am. Those things sell out so fast. Now on to the motherboard.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

small butter posted:

I just built two computers using the Fractal North case last night and noticed that I'm not getting an LED light around the front panel, neither the power button nor the strip/line. I saw an image from Guru3D that looks like this:

I'm pretty that that there was an LED front panel connector there. Does anyone have this case and are you getting an LED light like above?

EDIT: Just noticed the same image on the official site. I probably plugged the LED front panel in wrong.

I've been looking online to see how much those cases are going for. Can I ask where you managed to snag two?

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Thirteenth Step posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NR200/comments/oqrmf9/nr200_air_cooler_compatibility_list/

The old recommendation was the Fuma 2, but its kind of spendy now for just a 5600. I used the id cooling 226-xt, but its not really a great buy at 50 bucks now either. I think if I wanted a budget cooler for the nr200 right now I'd go with a Thermalright Assassin King 120 SE, which is 22.90 right now on Amazon. https://tinyurl.com/mfnj6hk5 edit: The white RGB is only 19.52 currently. https://tinyurl.com/3yhaenbb

Canna Happy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 4, 2023

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m probably going to get a 3080 and I kinda want a neat lookin case this time, any ideas?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Invalid Validation posted:

I’m probably going to get a 3080 and I kinda want a neat lookin case this time, any ideas?

Whatever looks the nicest to you from fractal design. I love my meshify series case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Thirteenth Step posted:

ID-COOLING IS-50X V2 is on sale at 20$ on Amazon ATM and is pretty good.