Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Are there any games that give you the same joy as getting into your second cup of coffee on a Monday morning? It's a complex kind of joy ..

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

External Organs posted:

Are there any games that give you the same joy as getting into your second cup of coffee on a Monday morning? It's a complex kind of joy ..

I was going to say Dragon Quest, but that's more of a tea game

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've gotten Transiruby, Far Lone Sails, and Picross S Sega Genesis on switch

just waiting to see what's in the humble choice tomorrow and then i'll grab some steam sale stuff before it ends

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Jerusalem posted:

Been playing Resident Evil 2, I've now finished up both Leon and Claire's first runs and readying up for the second. The boss fights are kinda trash and the basic gun is awful against even standard zombies (you do get plenty of ammo for it at least) but man the game looks great and there's something compelling about how cheesily earnest it is.

Annette Birkin is a piece of poo poo though, nothing's changing my mind on that :colbert:

The basic gun absolutely sucks, but idk I kinda like that? RE2 is one of the few games I've seen that actually sells zombies as a legitimate threat; it might be a slow moving shambler, but it's just so difficult to actually kill one of the drat things.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Jerusalem posted:

Annette Birkin is a piece of poo poo though, nothing's changing my mind on that :colbert:

It's a universal truth

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Escobarbarian posted:

I have a lot of games to play but the ones I really want to play the most are all the narrative ones (NORCO, Citizen Sleeper, Perfect Tides, finally getting all the way through Disco Elysium) but I’m worried I will burn out on them if I just play that style so I need to pace them out with more gamey games

less talk-ey games, more do-ey games

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

My 2023 list based on playing a few hours of both:

1. Pentiment
2. Grapple Dog

good year so far tbh

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mine

1. Elden Ring
2. Armored Core For Answer

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
So far in 2022 I've played bits of

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Chorvs

And a little bit of

TMNT: Shedder's Revenge
Overcooked: All You Can Eat

with the other half

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

So far I've played Marvel Snap. I'm excited for FE: Engage though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waffleman_ posted:

Mine

1. Elden Ring
2. Armored Core For Answer

4a is still pretty solid

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've watched a couple of horror films and started on atelier sophie 2

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m playing Tunic for the first time and it pretty good. I just figured out how to level up and found the grappling hook, combat is fun for now

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
so far my goty list for 2023 consists of Batman: Arkham Knight and Yakuza Zero

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Neon White is the best and worst game I’ve played all year

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

4a is still pretty solid

Robot go nyoom.

The high level PvP games I've seen footage of are like the best Dragon Ball Z game ever made.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

Neon White is the best and worst game I’ve played all year

sonic frontiers handily won that prize for me

i'd call it a blueprint for a great sequel but i also don't trust sonic team to actually follow through on that

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waffleman_ posted:

Robot go nyoom.

The high level PvP games I've seen footage of are like the best Dragon Ball Z game ever made.

Fun fact: most arms forts are too lovely too outrun dumbfire rockets

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm waiting for the QD-OLED monitor I ordered after Christmas to arrive before I play anything that looks too nice, so I've mostly been working on escalation missions in Hitman 3 and finishing Pillars of Eternity 2. Once it arrives I'm going to play RDR2, RE:Village, and finish Far Cry 6. I've never seen a proper HDR screen (let alone OLED) up close outside of insanely brightly lit stores before so I'm quite excited.

Volte fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 2, 2023

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

I guess I can understand that they set this in motion before the total collapse of Apes but who's left that's gonna buy into this horseshit at this point

The jig is up

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
My 2023 GotY list so far is
1. Fortnite

:rms:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Monkey Fracas posted:

I guess I can understand that they set this in motion before the total collapse of Apes but who's left that's gonna buy into this horseshit at this point

The jig is up

It's cause of how large Japanese Companies work, the President is basically a king and all the management people he interacts with are sycophants who will never gainsay him until he retires or dies.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

The jig is up

i think this is less "SE is going to be run into the ground by insane tyrant matsuda" and more that pivoting away immediately from a clearly unprofitable direction is a great way to spook investors, who have typically invested in you because they thought that direction was going to profitable and may still be holding out hope

i'm sure it'll be quietly dropped over the next 2 years and never mentioned again

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

he who runs from securities fraud has no honor! must die by the ape...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NFTs also have a different perception in Japan, less insane crypto bros and more 'oh this is just like the personalised cards you can scan in Japanese arcades for stuff'.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Got Xenoblade Chronicles 3 for Christmas. I have a feeling I may still be playing by next Christmas...

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Mr Hootington posted:

My 2023 GotY list so far is
1. Fortnite

:rms:

I accidentally looked at some Fortnite gameplay footage earlier today and thought "that looks sort of okay"

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Sakurazuka posted:

NFTs also have a different perception in Japan, less insane crypto bros and more 'oh this is just like the personalised cards you can scan in Japanese arcades for stuff'.

From what I read about what the Square-man actually said, there's apparently some big Digitalization thing being pushed by the Japanese government so there might be some sweet government subsidies in it for Squeenix

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I dont like how Fortnite feels to play but I'm sure its just a skill issue

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i don't like how fortnite looks and my eyes are as strong as they get

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

bone emulator posted:

I accidentally looked at some Fortnite gameplay footage earlier today and thought "that looks sort of okay"

Give no-build fortnite a try. It is pretty good.

Of course if you do not like 3rd person shooters or BRs you most likely will not like no-build.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

IMO as a person who has not played it and only outside looking in'd a bit via some youtubers I watch touching it briefly:

Fortnite is a BR bouyed up by being one of the OG f2p BRs with a (fairly) unique gimmick that went on to viscously exploit kids for as much money as they could while building a brand and enough money to start getting mainstream celebrities, franchises and brand names in it to keep boosting itself up even higher.

Unfortunately it did not stop its predatory practices and instead made them even worse, and now Epic is getting rightly clapped by the FTC for horrendously breaking COPPA over its knee.

Maybe Fortnite is actually a decent to good game now but I certainly couldn't play it in good faith.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Fortnite font still pisses me off for no rational reason

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fartshite

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i would have happily played a bunch of Fortnite if originally had a no build mode

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I would play it but I don't have two weeks to spare on one entire game

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i would have happily played a bunch of Fortnite if originally had a no build mode

Yeah I originally quit after getting tired of the building and wishing for a no-build mode. Now we have the no-build and epic made tons of improvements to movement and gunplay so the game feels great to play. I've been enjoying it quite a bit.

RBA Starblade posted:

The Fortnite font still pisses me off for no rational reason

That is ok. There is a car dealership in my area that has a type of font that irritates me.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 2, 2023

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Sat in bed playing the GBA version of Final Fantasy 1.
This rocks. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

What's your party?