Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I had been trying to reach lawyers and as soon as I posted that I finally got a call back…

For anyone else wondering what to do in FL, once the death certificate is filed you contact the property appraisers office and they switch the name over. For a car title you contact the tax collectors office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Edit: Stream's over.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 20, 2022

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

zelah posted:

For a car title you contact the tax collectors office.

That's surprising to me. Maybe it is just a Florida thing, but I thougth for sure you would contact your state DMV. Or is the DMV part of the tax collectors office?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

SkunkDuster posted:

That's surprising to me. Maybe it is just a Florida thing, but I thougth for sure you would contact your state DMV. Or is the DMV part of the tax collectors office?

County tax collectors offices in FL serve as an agent for just about every state agency.
Gun permits, hunting/fishing license, drivers licenses, license plates and so on.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bird with big dick posted:

Debtor withdrew their plan and I guess will try again (this will be the third try).

Our relief from stay was granted so I assume we'll get a trial date assigned next week maybe, hoping for some time in the 1st quarter of next year.

Defendant has a new PI attorney, not sure if he was assigned someone new by his car insurance company or if he decided he needed to cut ties and pay out of pocket for someone, I'll ask my attorney which it is. I wonder if they'll be any more successful at getting him to make a semi reasonable settlement offer.

Once we have a trial date again I think I need to ask my attorney exactly what the strategy at trial is because it seems like there's some precedent for a defendant saying "Hey I had an unforeseeable medical event, this isn't my fault" and getting off scot-free. I think there's some pretty good ways to attack that argument but I want to make sure that she agrees and that she's developing them. If I don't get any answers or don't like the answers I guess I shop for a new attorney, I've been waiting until the BK poo poo was resolved as it didn't seem like it would be a great idea to switch horses in the middle of that stream.

Defendant's new attorney is because the old one retired, emphasis on old that mofo was like 80.

Still don't have a trial date but should know soon, court records show that the motion for reinstatement has happened and "trial date to be set." After that there's an entry that says "Notice-Compliance" not sure what that means but assume its not important.

BK Trustee has filed a motion to convert the debtor from chapter 13 to 7. This will be good news for me I think because I believe he'll lose all control over his assets and then we just wait for getting a good judgment (hopefully) and let the liquidation commence. If the BK gets dismissed (which I assume his attorney is going to argue for because it seems it would be better for him than immediately going to chapter 7) I'm not sure exactly what will happen other than I'm sure he'll immediately spend the hundreds of thousands of cash he has. Worried that he'll refile for one chapter or another on the eve of the trial and delay things again. I'm sure he would ultimately be unsuccessful but any delay at all is going to screw me because I have to drive 13 hours to the trial location. Lawyer would have to be a complete scumbag to do this though given his two failed BKs so far and maybe there'd be some sort of automatic rejection given the two recent BK attempts & failures?

Trustee's motion includes the phrases "debtor is causing an unreasonably delay prejudicial to creditors" and talks about the debtors records not being accurate and "not filed in good faith" and "debtors have misrepresented information" and "failed to disclose all assets" I assume the judge will love that stuff when he rules on the trustee's motion a month from now.

My BK attorney says we could pay to file our own motion or adjoining the existing motion to try and make sure it converts to chapter 7 but says he doesn't think its necessary since the trustee is already recommending it and I'm pretty sure the judge knows we want it converted to chapter 7.

Cheers legal thread

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 30, 2022

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Is this a good place to ask about unemployment in Oregon?

My job has gotten too toxic for me and I need to know what to cite and how to quit to have the best chance of being able to collect unemployment. The state website says :

"If you resigned from your job, in order to be eligible to receive benefits, you must show that you had good cause to quit. Good cause for quitting work generally requires that the reason for leaving be so serious that a reasonable person, exercising ordinary common sense, would have no alternative but to quit work."

I work at a retirement community under the contract of a dining company. My boss is a doofus, I wasn't trained well enough, and they forced us to switch to vendors who cannot get us the supplies we need to fulfill the contract, he's putting false info into the inventory system. I've been at it six months.

My boss has told me to accomplish what the community wants within a budget, but the community keeps asking for more, he keeps caving, and I don't believe it is going to be possible.

How good a reason do I need? Is there any way to be sure I can get unemployment before quitting? I have no savings left and I'm the breadwinner for wife and baby. I keep looking for a telephone pole to plow into on the way to work. Is that good enough cause?

Thanks for any advice.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

do a bad job while looking for a different job. either you get a new job, or get fired.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Not a lawyer - your situation is probably specific enough that you won't get a lot of help from the real ones. I'd guess the fact that you're asking the question instead of telling us that you already quit means you're not at "no alternative but to quit work" from the perspective of the bureaucracy. It may end up that way, but until then I'd be hitting up everyone you know trying to find leads on a better job somewhere else.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Sounds like you should be job hunting. I don't know how much you get paid but surely you can find a lateral move in to another kitchen job that will just be a different kind of hell. It doesn't sound like you're going to qualify for unemployment if you quit because your boss is really poo poo and the jobs stupid.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
"my boss is falsifying documents" is definitely a thing to run by your employment attorney

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

This seems like a you just keep doing your job until everything explodes situation and then you’ll probably get unemployment.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Javid posted:

"my boss is falsifying documents" is definitely a thing to run by your employment attorney

If they're falsifying documents and ripping off the government get some sweet whistleblower money (talk to your employment lawyer).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bird with good news

:unsmith:

BBQ Dave posted:

Is this a good place to ask about unemployment in Oregon?

My job has gotten too toxic for me and I need to know what to cite and how to quit to have the best chance of being able to collect unemployment. The state website says :

"If you resigned from your job, in order to be eligible to receive benefits, you must show that you had good cause to quit. Good cause for quitting work generally requires that the reason for leaving be so serious that a reasonable person, exercising ordinary common sense, would have no alternative but to quit work."

I work at a retirement community under the contract of a dining company. My boss is a doofus, I wasn't trained well enough, and they forced us to switch to vendors who cannot get us the supplies we need to fulfill the contract, he's putting false info into the inventory system. I've been at it six months.

My boss has told me to accomplish what the community wants within a budget, but the community keeps asking for more, he keeps caving, and I don't believe it is going to be possible.

How good a reason do I need? Is there any way to be sure I can get unemployment before quitting? I have no savings left and I'm the breadwinner for wife and baby. I keep looking for a telephone pole to plow into on the way to work. Is that good enough cause?

Thanks for any advice.

I Anal and give lovely advice, but, as I understand it, constructive dismissal is the business equivalent of me putting my hand up to your face while shouting "I'M NOT TOUCHING YOU! I'M NOT TOUCHING YOU!" It's meant to handle the idea that your job is trying to fire you, but won't actually fire you directly, they just want you to "quit." "This job sucks and I loving hate it" isn't necessarily enough, they generally have to be violating employment law or doing something egregious like changing your schedule to an overnight when they know you're not available to work nights, meaning that you "quit" because you won't cover the new shifts. I'm guessing that your boss loving with inventory isn't necessarily enough, but it might be worth asking an employment lawyer for a 15 minute consult to see if you could have a case based on something I'm not smart enough to ask about.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Unemployment is going to be very state specific, so a consultation is a good idea if you don't just line up a better job in the meantime. In general, constructive discharge claims are an uphill battle, with heavy emphasis often being put on "a reasonable person" having "no alternative" but to quit. The problem is that many people have poo poo bosses who make unreasonable demands.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

OK thanks, everyone.

I've been looking for a new job since a month after I got here, the pay is really good and I can't find anything comparable and things have been expensive. I'm on indeed every day, I apply every day had three good interviews but nothing.

Not the thread for the whole story here. Thanks again, everyone.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BBQ Dave posted:

OK thanks, everyone.

I've been looking for a new job since a month after I got here, the pay is really good and I can't find anything comparable and things have been expensive. I'm on indeed every day, I apply every day had three good interviews but nothing.

Not the thread for the whole story here. Thanks again, everyone.

remember it’s really easy to get fired, people do it all the time, and people who get fired generally get unemployment

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

I wasn't going to post again but tonight a resident used a racist slur on my supervisor.

About to send this email to the community manager and my regional ops director...

<community manager> & <RDO>-

<Racist resident's> to-go orders got lost and before I could offer to put something together he started yelling at us. I was letting him say his piece until he called <my new supervisor> a "boy" which is a derogative racist term.

<RDO>, <my new supervisor> is black / a person of color.

<Racist resident> had to wait a few minutes and it appears his to-go email was deleted without being recorded sometime before <terminated employee> (<X>'s predecessor) left. <Racist resident> got the food he wanted.

This is unacceptable and I'd like him permanently banned from the Dining room. I spoke with <my new supervisor> a couple hours later and he felt it was racist and was offended.

Happy New Year,
<a sad, angry goon>

Might as well do something worth doing on the way out, eh?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
This is gonna be light on details because I don't have them, but I'm trying to help my "sister in law" avoid making any mistakes. She's been unhappy in her marriage for a long time, but the husband hasn't done anything wrong per se, he just sucks. They live in Florida and have no nearby family to help. She has always been a stay at home mom to 3 kids, and hasn't worked until the last couple of years, a low wage job.

She's decided to get a divorce, and he has told her he wants her out of their apartment asap as a result. She has decided to stay with my girlfriend and I in North Carolina short term. At what point does this count as child abandonment? What steps can she take to avoid the court seeing it that way? Right now they're trying to keep lawyers out of it, which I think is crazy, but they don't have a ton of money. To be clear, she is a great mom who absolutely does not want to leave her kids, but he's making it a hostile environment for her right now, and there's just not enough money to get her own place, certainly not on short notice. He's also opposed to her taking the kids with, and even forbidding her from asking the kids what they want (which, again, I would really like her to get a lawyer, but it's not my decision).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

She needs to consult a florida family law attorney in whatever county her kids and ex are in. Since she has no money, she will probably qualify for various legal aid services.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

They can't resolve anything amicably without a lawyer if he's kicked her out of her home and forbidden her from asking her kids their opinions. If there was ever a time they could handle this without a lawyer, that time is long past.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

BBQ Dave posted:

I wasn't going to post again but tonight a resident used a racist slur on my supervisor.

About to send this email to the community manager and my regional ops director...

<community manager> & <RDO>-

<Racist resident's> to-go orders got lost and before I could offer to put something together he started yelling at us. I was letting him say his piece until he called <my new supervisor> a "boy" which is a derogative racist term.

<RDO>, <my new supervisor> is black / a person of color.

<Racist resident> had to wait a few minutes and it appears his to-go email was deleted without being recorded sometime before <terminated employee> (<X>'s predecessor) left. <Racist resident> got the food he wanted.

This is unacceptable and I'd like him permanently banned from the Dining room. I spoke with <my new supervisor> a couple hours later and he felt it was racist and was offended.

Happy New Year,
<a sad, angry goon>

Might as well do something worth doing on the way out, eh?

if you're really lucky, you'll anger someone high up with this email, get fired, get unemployment, and then on top of it pursue a righteous retaliation claim under EEO laws.

Or maybe they'll do the right thing and you'll find a better job anyways :shrug:

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
The preferred lawyer in my life was just informed that one of their clients that they got an acquittal for last year was re-arrested for the same crime. At the same place. Where they should know there are working security cameras because that featured prominently in their trial. Happy New Year's! :toot:

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Don't see the problem here. A client who keeps bringing you work is a good client to have.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Brennanite posted:

The preferred lawyer in my life was just informed that one of their clients that they got an acquittal for last year was re-arrested for the same crime. At the same place. Where they should know there are working security cameras because that featured prominently in their trial. Happy New Year's! :toot:

Sounds like a vote of confidence for the lawyer.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
They're a starry-eyed idealist whose clients are mainly poor teens of color, so they prefer not to have repeat business.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Sounds like a personal problem

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Brennanite posted:

They're a starry-eyed idealist whose clients are mainly poor teens of color, so they prefer not to have repeat business.

remember, there is a solution

you'll need to remember that in about 5-6 years

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

EwokEntourage posted:

remember, there is a solution

you'll need to remember that in about 5-6 years

Is it drugs? All my clients think the solution is drugs

Who am I to argue with so many independent thinkers?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I've got a friend and there's only one place where they do STD testing in the town where he lives. They are refusing to provide medical care for him because they say that he gets STD tested way more frequently than is necessary and they suspect that he is receiving some sort of sexual gratification from when they insert the testing swab into his urethra. What sort of legal recourse does he have here? He could get tertiary syphilis due to them refusing to provide him with the medical testing that would promptly diagnose it!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I've got a friend and there's only one place where they do STD testing in the town where he lives. They are refusing to provide medical care for him because they say that he gets STD tested way more frequently than is necessary and they suspect that he is receiving some sort of sexual gratification from when they insert the testing swab into his urethra. What sort of legal recourse does he have here? He could get tertiary syphilis due to them refusing to provide him with the medical testing that would promptly diagnose it!

They don't swab for STD testing anymore you just pee in a cup or give a blood sample. If he's going in there demanding them to shove a q-tip in his dick he does have problems.

Also some COVID MRNA vaccines can give false positives on some syphilis tests.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Maybe he just wants them to be thorough.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SA forums poster bird with big DICK posted:

I've got a friend

sexual gratification

insert ... into his urethra

"Friend"

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
bird with big urethra

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Get your “friend” this to help with his frequent “testing.”
https://duckduckgo.com/y.js?ad_doma...DDevEx%2C5073.1

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I have a stupid TV related hypothetical. Please note I do not own a TV production and am in no way involved with reality entertainment, unless you count my OF where I dress up like a lumberjack

I'm watching this TV show called Alone where they drop these poor schmucks in the middle of nowhere and tell them to survive. Whoever stays out in the wilderness the longest wins a bunch of money.

Now presumably they have a bunch of support you don't see on camera, but there is a nonzero probability that one of these people dies, possibly on camera! I watched one guy almost smoosh himself with his own dead fall trap.

My questions are A) what happens to the footage in such a case? The production would probably bury it for PR reasons, but is there any legal issue with showing the footage if they were ghoulish enough?

B) are there typical clauses in reality TV contracts that govern what happens in such a situation?

C) have there ever been wrongful death suits from the family for situations like that? Has something like this ever happened before?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
It’s made up, OP.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Just off the top of my head, Steve Irwin died while filming (his own) reality show, and a guy had a heart attack on camera on Deadliest Catch. Apparently this also happened and 3 people died not on camera, but during the time period of filming season 2. Also, you know, the football thing yesterday and a lot of other sports occurrences.

For more background, I've watched a lot of Alone (although not the last couple seasons). They don't pick randos, the contestants all have experience with wilderness or survival skills. The show also puts them through a couple weeks of training for their specific location, and iirc they don't let anyone go if they don't pass the tests. When they're on site, every week medics come out and check them to make sure they're okay to continue, and the medics have the final say.

The contestants all have a panic button. They can hit the panic button at any time and a boat of medics will appear to take them back to civilization. People on Alone have definitely used it in medical emergencies (like the woman with a fishhook in her hand). In the earlier seasons, the distance was one of the things they fudged, and the evacuation boat could show up really quickly. In other seasons, like in the example, it seems like they really did have to travel far before getting to comprehensive medical care.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Anything that makes it to air has also been edited for maximum drama, and was unlikely to have been as dangerous as depicted

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Javid posted:

Anything that makes it to air has also been edited for maximum drama, and was unlikely to have been as dangerous as depicted

Yes, I get that, it's way overproduced, but these people are still in situations where they could get hypothetically get maimed. Hence the hypothetical. I do appreciate you pointing out that reality TV isn't real though. I would never have known otherwise.

therobit posted:

It’s made up, OP.

Oh no poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

i. am. awakened.