Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
but how do i solder good then?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Pierson posted:

Is flux stone treated like gems/other ores and I get pop-ups about it that I can zoom to? I know the furnace will let me know if I don't have it but I definitely embarked on a flux stone layer and have dug out a poo poo-ton of space and not seen any so far. Could be just unlucky I guess.

In addition to what others mentioned, be aware that flux is found almost exclusively close to the surface, in my experience between 0-20 layers below the soil layer.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Go to the Units menu and look at the tab with all the animals, and check the box with the meat cleaver for the ones you want to turn into steaks, then go tell the butcher workshop to get chopping.

That last part isn’t even necessary in my experience, any animals tagged for slaughter will be led to the butcher and put down as soon as there’s a dwarf available to do the hauling.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Arts and crafts anger management program for dwarf kindergarten military. Everyone with a helmet on gets a workshop.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Gooses and Geeses posted:

I'm confused by the behaviour of my marksdwarves.

1. They all have the correct clothing I've set for them.
2. They all have crossbows.
3. They all have quivers with the correct ammo.

Yet, when I station them behind fortifications, with enemies on the other side, they do all they can to climb through (??) the fortifications and engage in hand to hand.

Is this normal? What am I doing wrong?

I'm gonna go ahead and guess there's no ceiling and they're straight up jumping/climbing over the wall, build a staircase up another z-level and construct some floors above, that should keep them in place, place a hatch over the stairs on the upper level and lock it if you wanna be sure and are still having trouble. Most creatures can climb at least two z levels so something to bear in mind when constructing your defences. They shouldn't be able move through the fortification itself though so if it's set up as I described, I'm sorry but I have no idea what's happening that sounds more like a bug.

Only other thing I can think of is, are they actually training with the crossbows at an archery range? If they don't have any training with them they'll often prefer to bite or wrestle or use the weapon as a blunt instrument, though that still shouldn't let them teleport through walls but they should shoot through them assuming they know which end of the crossbow to point toward the enemy.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?

AnarkiJ posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and guess there's no ceiling and they're straight up jumping/climbing over the wall, build a staircase up another z-level and construct some floors above, that should keep them in place, place a hatch over the stairs on the upper level and lock it if you wanna be sure and are still having trouble. Most creatures can climb at least two z levels so something to bear in mind when constructing your defences.

Ah! I think this is going to be the problem.

Thank you! I'll get to building.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Archers are just also super broken from my experience so good luck getting them to actually fire an arrow

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Comrade Koba posted:

That last part isn’t even necessary in my experience, any animals tagged for slaughter will be led to the butcher and put down as soon as there’s a dwarf available to do the hauling.

There's a toggle for this (and a ton of other very useful things) in the "Standing Orders" tab of the labor menu :eng101:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I use a burrow to have the archers positioned right at the battlements, too, not a station command. It worked alright in one goblin invasion. The roof is definitely key though. I also roofed around the outside square so nothing can climb up.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Big Mackson posted:

how do i butcher things? it says i need a corpse but i dont know how to kill my own animals help, my family is starving

10 boulders
3 iron ore
50 wood
195732 stone mugs
If you are playing windowed you may need to drag the window wider to see the option to butcher/geld animals on the units list. I certainly had to.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Zereth posted:

Don't cut gems except Large ones not have quality? It's the setting them that generates quality? So you should swap the levels of Cutter and Setter.

Worth noting that sometimes cutting a gem will produce an item like a scepter/amulet/other craft instead of a gem, and gem cutter does affect quality in that case. Might not be worth investing in early though, since mostly you just get cut gems.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Redeye Flight posted:

Ooh, and that even looks nice, too. How're you getting the power out of those ones, though, they don't look like they're hooked up to anything?

Griz posted:

both tiles of the pump can transmit and receive power, and will connect to other machine parts vertically

Yup, on those I had channels above them with gear assemblies connected to axles running to the stuff they powered.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004
Automine is phenomenal until suddenly it's not, drat. Started a new fort on a map with a lonely limestone outcropping sticking up out of the dirt. Got a notification I'd discovered a cave, and sure enough in the face of this outcropping there's an entrance. I decided to use it as the entrance to my fort, going au naturel with no stairs, just the upward/downward ramps of the cave as the path through my fortress. Set up my usual rooms and workshops, things are going great.

Some exploratory digging later I chance upon noticing that my miner toiling away in the depths is starving, dehydrated, and "hunting for small animals". It seems that although inching my way downwards in the cave and tagging all the silver, gold, and gems I could find with the automine option seemed like a good way to check out the lower levels, that feature can have the miner accidentally wipe out of existence the upward ramp that provides their path back to the surface (i.e. booze). I scrambled to dig new access to get them back, and although it was tense I managed to save the day! Most importantly, of course, I learned a valuable lesson and took it to heart.

Just kidding it happened again and they died.

From the surface level of -1, I had made it down to -104 and had the game running in the background waiting for the fog of war to lift when the miners got close enough. After a suspicious lack of progress I checked and found both dwarves listed as missing, after which I manually scrolled through Z levels to find their washed out, sad little corpses myself. I can't see the actual up/down ramp that's missing this time, so either it's just hard to see or I really did get greedy and dig too deep, so far that they couldn't get back to the food and drink in time. Neither would surprise me.

I have fewer than 30 dwarves so far, and hadn't planned on burial chambers just yet, but no time like the present! Stupid mistakes still put a smile on my face after all these years, and I still cannot believe how much I love to suck at this game.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I need to make a malachite statue for my mayor and I have 20 malachite, including a piece in the stockpile directly outside my stoneworker. They will not start it, canceling the job over and over for "needs malachite." Any way of troubleshooting this?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is the workshop set to only take stone from a different pile?

Is the pile set to only give stone to another workshop?

e: oh yeah, malachite is an ore, not a regular stone. Not sure they’ll do that, you may have an impossible mandate. I think you might be able to put malachite studs on a statue and it’ll count?

e: vvv there ya go

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

emdash posted:

I need to make a malachite statue for my mayor and I have 20 malachite, including a piece in the stockpile directly outside my stoneworker. They will not start it, canceling the job over and over for "needs malachite." Any way of troubleshooting this?

Malachite is an ore for copper and thus starts off restricted from any craft uses (I think, Im at work and cant check). Go to the stone submenu and remove the restriction.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

emdash posted:

Is the workshop set to take from a specific stockpile? If it is, it will not take from anywhere else.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Telsa Cola posted:

Malachite is an ore for copper and thus starts off restricted from any craft uses (I think, Im at work and cant check). Go to the stone submenu and remove the restriction.

Awesome, that worked, thank you

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Gooses and Geeses posted:

I'm confused by the behaviour of my marksdwarves.

1. They all have the correct clothing I've set for them.
2. They all have crossbows.
3. They all have quivers with the correct ammo.

Yet, when I station them behind fortifications, with enemies on the other side, they do all they can to climb through (??) the fortifications and engage in hand to hand.

Is this normal? What am I doing wrong?

Marksdwarves need to be of a skill level of accomplished or higher to fire through fortifications unless they are right next to it. I would make a gently caress ton of bone bolts and set up a range or capture enemies for target practice as you gain a huge amount more firing at a live enemy then you do at targets.

Not super helpful in the mean time though.

A lot of folk will make arenas where they will strip captured goblins or put hostile creatures in the pit and then have their military practice fighting with them since you gain a poo poo ton more combat skills through actual combat over training. If you are worried about the cave bear mauling your dwarves you can have a pit zone set up and drop them in from a height which should break a few bones on them.

With marks dwarves you can just have them across a gap or something.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 2, 2023

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Pierson posted:

Is flux stone treated like gems/other ores and I get pop-ups about it that I can zoom to? I know the furnace will let me know if I don't have it but I definitely embarked on a flux stone layer and have dug out a poo poo-ton of space and not seen any so far. Could be just unlucky I guess.

Flux stone is all considered economic stone, I forget if you get an announcement for it but you can set up a small economic stone only stockpile near your forge and that way your dwarves can haul poo poo there and you can see at a glance what you got. If they put poo poo there it's either a flux stone, a source of coal, used for porcelain, or used to make plaster. You can fine tune as you need.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Are targets still in the game or do you just throw down a range?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Benagain posted:

Are targets still in the game or do you just throw down a range?

I think they are under the military building tab. But you need the zone too.

I don't know if they patched it or not, but I remember it being more efficient (had to do with how the task/training got assigned) to have a narrow range assigned to each target rather than one large range with several targets. But I might just have been imagining things.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Crackmaster posted:

Automine is phenomenal until suddenly it's not, drat. Started a new fort on a map with a lonely limestone outcropping sticking up out of the dirt. Got a notification I'd discovered a cave, and sure enough in the face of this outcropping there's an entrance. I decided to use it as the entrance to my fort, going au naturel with no stairs, just the upward/downward ramps of the cave as the path through my fortress. Set up my usual rooms and workshops, things are going great.

Some exploratory digging later I chance upon noticing that my miner toiling away in the depths is starving, dehydrated, and "hunting for small animals". It seems that although inching my way downwards in the cave and tagging all the silver, gold, and gems I could find with the automine option seemed like a good way to check out the lower levels, that feature can have the miner accidentally wipe out of existence the upward ramp that provides their path back to the surface (i.e. booze). I scrambled to dig new access to get them back, and although it was tense I managed to save the day! Most importantly, of course, I learned a valuable lesson and took it to heart.

Just kidding it happened again and they died.

From the surface level of -1, I had made it down to -104 and had the game running in the background waiting for the fog of war to lift when the miners got close enough. After a suspicious lack of progress I checked and found both dwarves listed as missing, after which I manually scrolled through Z levels to find their washed out, sad little corpses myself. I can't see the actual up/down ramp that's missing this time, so either it's just hard to see or I really did get greedy and dig too deep, so far that they couldn't get back to the food and drink in time. Neither would surprise me.

I have fewer than 30 dwarves so far, and hadn't planned on burial chambers just yet, but no time like the present! Stupid mistakes still put a smile on my face after all these years, and I still cannot believe how much I love to suck at this game.

I'm curious how you did the designations, because I've not yet had a dwarf follow a vein "down"-- they've only followed automine designations horizontally, and I don't know if that means I got lucky with no veins running across z-levels or what

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'm curious how you did the designations, because I've not yet had a dwarf follow a vein "down"-- they've only followed automine designations horizontally, and I don't know if that means I got lucky with no veins running across z-levels or what

To be fair I sort of designated a few individual tiles and moved on, then came back later to discover the issue, but as I recall their digging only ever expanded horizontally, they never moved up or down. The problem I think is that on the same level there was a naturally occurring upward ramp that was made of the same material I wanted them to mine (I moused over the walls but never really paid attention to what the floors were made of). I had expected automine to only give out "dig" designations, not the kind that eliminate ramps or carved stairs, but I think I was wrong.

If it's not that then I'm doing some other dumb thing, which honestly I wouldn't put past me.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Crackmaster posted:

To be fair I sort of designated a few individual tiles and moved on, then came back later to discover the issue, but as I recall their digging only ever expanded horizontally, they never moved up or down. The problem I think is that on the same level there was a naturally occurring upward ramp that was made of the same material I wanted them to mine (I moused over the walls but never really paid attention to what the floors were made of). I had expected automine to only give out "dig" designations, not the kind that eliminate ramps or carved stairs, but I think I was wrong.

If it's not that then I'm doing some other dumb thing, which honestly I wouldn't put past me.

I forget exactly how it works (probably on the wiki) but if you dig out certain normal squares around ramps it reverts the ramp to an open/nonramp space. Which is possibly what happened.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 2, 2023

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Auto will mine out anything the normal mining designation will get rid of, so not stairs

What auto will happily do is mine out damp/warm stone that you already know about, I barely stopped my miners from breaching a volcano because a hematite vein stretched 70 tiles from where it started

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

wait, there's auto mine? gently caress

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Some tasks you can look up additional information on with the magnifying glass in the Citizens tab. Specific performance information is hilariously over detailed.

Oh. Sure, yeah, I see.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Azhais posted:

Auto will mine out anything the normal mining designation will get rid of, so not stairs

What auto will happily do is mine out damp/warm stone that you already know about, I barely stopped my miners from breaching a volcano because a hematite vein stretched 70 tiles from where it started

Yeah, they'll also drill right into the caverns which is something to watch out for if you keep them walled off. I pretty much only use automine if I'm going to actively keep an eye on what they're doing.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Azhais posted:

why the gently caress will automine dig those out, but there's no option to say "yes I know you're one z-level above the magma sea, please for the love of god just dig this hallway out without me having to lock you in and babysit you"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I do kind of wish there was a mining mode which would let you automine any stone, not just economic stones. Like you don't want to have the autominer be able to select granite by default but I'd love to be able to declare bauxite and kimberlite autominable to get at the gems they're hiding.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You can always use the advanced form of automine: designating a non-auto mining box around an entire floor :getin:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The described interaction can occur with purely horizontal digging. If you're using ramps to move between Z-levels, it is very possible for your automine designation to remove the walls around the ramp. This not only makes it unusable, but usually makes it cease to exist.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It doesn't make you fully immune to automine shenannigans but recently I've been creating a mineshaft entrance separate from my base, that way if anything goes wrong, it's easy to just seal the entire thing off and dig in somewhere else.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can always just make a pocket around the stairwell when you dig out a level, very easy to wall up if something should go wrong.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

why the gently caress will automine dig those out, but there's no option to say "yes I know you're one z-level above the magma sea, please for the love of god just dig this hallway out without me having to lock you in and babysit you"

please god yes this was a nightmare when I was making my magma gun setup

on another topic, this minotaur has no chill

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Horizontal hall way after like 20 or so levels full of traps and doors you can lock, hallway leads to another shaft down. Also decent place to stage a squad if a big bad is coming up.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Only known dangerous stones. It'll stop same as normal mining if it uncovers a new warm stone. Volcanos mark the whole shaft as warm stone the second you embark so it's extra dangerous to auto (fortunately 99% of those blocks are obsidian and won't get auto mined, I just happened to have a z-level with 4 hematite blocks as volcano wall)

e: also auto doesn't seem to mine out tiles marked as blueprints

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
Most recent fort is my most successful yet. Danger-wise, there have been no raids, no monsters, and no plague of agitated wildlife for over three years. Occasionally, a human or two will defy us to keep him from something called the Anvilworks, and we always manage to kill them quite handily.

Naturally, I'm going to start building up my military to raid surrounding areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Just had a weird bug. Noticed some merchants meandering around a field, upset for having not done [everything] in a long time. Then I realized I hadn't had merchants (or migrants) visit in ages. Checked my trade depot and it was full of goods that were not mine. Destroyed it and built a new one and lo and behold I finally got some migrants soon after. Hope nobody gets mad I stole their forgotten wares!