Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crispix posted:

i'm using a newly upgraded home-computer and i haven't installed an adblocker yet and youtube is showing me pregnancy testing kit adverts

The Algorithm knows you well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

muslim singles

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Microplastics posted:

I can't wait for my kid to go back to nursery on Thursday and collect the latest round of diseases from Christmas family mixings

Just kill me now

Mine went into nursery for the first half day session today.

No bugs (I hope), but he didn't eat or sleep at all for the 4 odd hours he was there.

Meanwhile wife also had to go to hospital for a drip as her morning sickness went extreme yesterday afternoon and she's not been able to keep anything down.

The freedom to take her to the hospital that the nursery provided was pretty nice, but not when I found out he hadn't eaten or slept. He even sobbed himself to sleep when I got him home/fed which was about 7 hours after his breakfast.

Please tell me nursery gets easier! We're both back at work tomorrow, but today has felt like a complete car crash. Tomorrow is a longer session and now I'm worried he won't eat anything all day (he's only 13 months).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Kin posted:

Please tell me nursery gets easier! We're both back at work tomorrow, but today has felt like a complete car crash. Tomorrow is a longer session and now I'm worried he won't eat anything all day (he's only 13 months).

Ours is 14 months so we're pretty much in the same boat. I have a sneaking suspicion though: it does not get easier

I'm also wondering how he's gonna fare at nursery :ohdear:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
For most kids, there's a bit of a hump to get over when they start nursery, particularly if they've had limited time around strangers in the past. There's quite a wide range on how long that hump is, so I'd suggest talking to you child's nursery if you think it's taking too long.
Also, what you see when you drop them off isn't necessarily what they're like once you've gone. The separation can be pretty hard to deal with, but a lot of the time the kid settles within a few minutes and mostly forgets about you until they see you at home time or they hurt themselves.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I swear youtube knows i've blocked the poo poo out of their ads on my laptop because when i rarely play something through their phone app they sure try to make up for all the ones i've skipped.

Or have things decended to the point where you're supposed to get 5 ad breaks on a 15 min video?

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Microplastics posted:

Ours is 14 months so we're pretty much in the same boat. I have a sneaking suspicion though: it does not get easier

I'm also wondering how he's gonna fare at nursery :ohdear:

Our daughter started at 10 months and would cry terribly every morning when we handed her over which was awful. When we picked her up they did say she spent most of the day clinging to one of the nurses but did eat at least eat and sleep.

She's 14 months now and loves it - since starting to walk she waddles into her room when I open the door with open arms to be picked up by her 'key person'. So yes - it does get easier. As I have found with most things baby rearing related, you just gotta get through those though periods!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Vetitum posted:

Our daughter started at 10 months and would cry terribly every morning when we handed her over which was awful. When we picked her up they did say she spent most of the day clinging to one of the nurses but did eat at least eat and sleep.

She's 14 months now and loves it - since starting to walk she waddles into her room when I open the door with open arms to be picked up by her 'key person'. So yes - it does get easier. As I have found with most things baby rearing related, you just gotta get through those though periods!

Ah same for me. I should clarify - he's already been at nursery but he'll be going back after a 2 week break and I really need him to not have a hissy fit about that (maybe he'll be relieved though because his dad - riddled with virus - is currently a very boring person to be around)

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Mr Phillby posted:

I swear youtube knows i've blocked the poo poo out of their ads on my laptop because when i rarely play something through their phone app they sure try to make up for all the ones i've skipped.

Or have things decended to the point where you're supposed to get 5 ad breaks on a 15 min video?

This is why I've got YouTube premium. You can get a subscription via Turkey (doesn't lead to any extra Turkish videos being played) that's much cheaper. £2.66 a month for family which can be shared with 5. Half that for an individual subscription.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Sad Panda posted:

This is why I've got YouTube premium. You can get a subscription via Turkey (doesn't lead to any extra Turkish videos being played) that's much cheaper. £2.66 a month for family which can be shared with 5. Half that for an individual subscription.

How did you get it? Did you have to use a vpn?

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Microplastics posted:

Ah same for me. I should clarify - he's already been at nursery but he'll be going back after a 2 week break and I really need him to not have a hissy fit about that (maybe he'll be relieved though because his dad - riddled with virus - is currently a very boring person to be around)

Oh don't worry I was mostly trying to reassure Kin, I'm sure he much prefers being at home even with a sickly dad! Also not sure if you've found the same but since hitting about 14 months mine has just been so loving hilarious.

The increase in mobility paired with actual communication skills means I'm looking at this person who is 100% no longer a baby.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
He definitely is hilarious. Even his tantrum is hilarious: lie completely face down on the floor and cry.

My favourite thing at the moment is when he wants me to read a book to him, he goes and carefully chooses one and chucks it at me while going "UH! UH!"

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

killerwhat posted:

How did you get it? Did you have to use a vpn?

I used Windscribe as a free VPN. Paid using my Starling card as it lets you do foreign currency payments without a fee. Hotukdeals has a thread about it from a while ago but still valid. Just the price went up in Octoberish to that price I mentioned earlier.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/youtube-premium-turkeyvpn-ps853-year-3937394#comments

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

I keep getting these ones that are usually like some woman radio host claiming to offer 'relationship advice' but under the thin veneer of that it's all reactionary garbage, like how you have to fill some narrow range of roles or all women will leave you or feminists are untrustworthy or whatever.

I'm not even sure who this poo poo is for, I'm guessing men whose bullshit detectors kick in automatically when they see some divorced domestic violence enthusiast or conspiracy theory gym bro alpha claiming to know 'what women want' but still fall for the pretty Fox news anchor propagating utter shite?

There must be a market for it because there are so many of them, maybe the more 'intellectual' incel.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Microplastics posted:

Whoever recommended hot ribena, I love you

:tipshat:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Mr Phillby posted:

https://newpipe.net/

https://freetubeapp.io/

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

My daughter absolutely hated nursery and after a couple of weeks of persevering we just gave up on it for six months or so before sending her to a different place which she liked much more when she was a bit older. Hard to say if it was the place or the olderness that helped more. I appreciate not everyone has the luxury of being able to have one parent at home doing full-time kid rearing poo poo, though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

some nurseries just be like that, I know my sister was transferred from the rural one to the one in town because it just had bad vibes

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

bessantj posted:

Just been caught in a YouTube Shorts rabbit hole for the last 2 hours. Only started the first vid because it was one of those Alex Jones 40k edits and gently caress me it was a diet of Joe Rogan, Peterson, that Andrew Tate fella and some assorted people with opinions on women. If you listen to these people the only thing men have to offer in a relationship is money and the only thing women have is their virginity. If there are young men out there that agree with these people then really they're calling their own mothers and/or sisters whores.

I've never watched a YouTube short in my life, but I keep getting recommended one about a pretty blonde lass that plays for West Ham (can't remember her name). I have no interest in West Ham and aren't signed into YouTube on the TV so no idea where they get that from.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

This one looks really interesting as a teacher. I assume you've used it? Tempted to ask IT to install it for teachers so we can show YouTube videos without the constant adverts popping up. My YT Premium can't cover my school account.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bessantj posted:

There must be a market for it because there are so many of them, maybe the more 'intellectual' incel.
I get big divorced dads vibes, like men who are less about some wannabe Chad saying "you got to get swole and cocky and buy these supplements to get pussy" and more a pretty lady reassuring them "college educated women end 300% of relationships because feminism teaches them to hate the family", but I can see crossover with the more 'intellectual' incel and, far worse, with young men who have been told to listen to women when it comes to dating advice but don't yet have a working terrible advice filter (although it's probably a bit boring for them).

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I'm guessing the more prominent incel chumps are funded/corralled like the terfs and anti-choice groups are

cogent left wing debating isn't going to affect that kind of poo poo

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Sad Panda posted:

This one looks really interesting as a teacher. I assume you've used it? Tempted to ask IT to install it for teachers so we can show YouTube videos without the constant adverts popping up. My YT Premium can't cover my school account.

I've used it, it's great. The searching for new content isn't as good as on Youtube, but if you know which video you want it will find it.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Sad Panda posted:

I used Windscribe as a free VPN. Paid using my Starling card as it lets you do foreign currency payments without a fee. Hotukdeals has a thread about it from a while ago but still valid. Just the price went up in Octoberish to that price I mentioned earlier.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/youtube-premium-turkeyvpn-ps853-year-3937394#comments

Thanks! I’ll give it a try :)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Vetitum posted:

Oh don't worry I was mostly trying to reassure Kin, I'm sure he much prefers being at home even with a sickly dad! Also not sure if you've found the same but since hitting about 14 months mine has just been so loving hilarious.

The increase in mobility paired with actual communication skills means I'm looking at this person who is 100% no longer a baby.

Thanks. I think there were maybe a few things that specifically exacerbated today.

My wife can't remember if she's detailed what our sons specific diet's been so far (he really doesn't like hard food yet and is pretty fussy about what he eats). It's mostly been those baby pouches as we've progressed through the months. I know there's more "bits" in the 12 month+ stuff, but they're still pretty soft.

I think the hardest/chewiest thing he's eaten is toast or pear. Meat or stringer veg is more or less a no go.

Other than that he's still getting formula before he goes to sleep and that's what they didn't give him today.

I fed him his porridge at half 8; Dropped him off at 10; he probably started to get sleepy/cranky as usual at 11, they tried to feed him their nice sounding menu. He refused it, then hit a combo of tired and hungry.

Apparently they tried a few more things from their menu while trying to get him to sleep but he refused it all and only slept for maybe 15 minutes at about 12:45.

I wasnt able to pick him up until half 2 and when I got him home he guzzled a full bottle and slept for about 2 hours.

If they'd tried giving him the formula we provided I dunno if they'd have had more luck getting him to sleep, but I think his hunger definitely wasn't helping.

We're hoping that they can help gradually introduce more food types for him on a way we've not been able to.

But yeah, I've read that it just takes time. He's gonna be in there 4 days a week so hopefully he gets used to it quickly.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Yeah probably every 5th YouTube short that ends up on my feed is fash or fash adjecent creey mra poo poo. Going to check now how quickly they come up.

Discovered that Spanish drummer through it though who is absolutely loving amazing.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

killerwhat posted:

Thanks! I’ll give it a try :)

Welcome! It's not just YouTube where you can save money if you're 'abroad'. Netlifx and Spotify also have the same situation I believe.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Weirdly my YT Shorts dont end in fash terrority, even though I watch a lot of political stuff.
Instead I get weird India/Pakistan ones where its fuzzy static what sounds like Bollywood music over random pics themselves or random vid clips.
Or rear end in a top hat clickbait 'you wont believe this' where nothing happens.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Tesseraction posted:

some nurseries just be like that, I know my sister was transferred from the rural one to the one in town because it just had bad vibes

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

happyhippy posted:

Weirdly my YT Shorts dont end in fash terrority, even though I watch a lot of political stuff.
Instead I get weird India/Pakistan ones where its fuzzy static what sounds like Bollywood music over random pics themselves or random vid clips.
Or rear end in a top hat clickbait 'you wont believe this' where nothing happens.

YouTube believes I am deeply interested in shorts about chess, science, comedy skits based on language, and standup comedy clips where the comedian asks audience members questions and then riffs on that for a bit.

In fairness it’s pretty much 100% right on that, but I think I’ve been engaging with the holy algorithm long enough that it has a very solid idea of my interests. Every now and then it starts pushing a video from some random creator on me really hard, like it’s at the top of my “watch next” for like a week straight, and after I end up breaking down, watching it, and enjoying it enough to subscribe I imagine the little gnome insider the AI black box smugly yelling “I loving told you so” in my general direction.

One thing I found really interesting was it used to recommend me tons of Louis Rossman videos, a guy who is a right to repair campaigner with a fairly inoffensively techbro libertarian bent. He was one of the few people I watched whose videos would touch on political topics while coming from a political direction different from my own, and since the areas we disagreed on were never the focus of the channel I never had an issue with that. But then he waded into some controversy over free speech vs fascism on twitter (I’ve long since forgotten the specifics) with a take that was very ill-informed, and YouTube dropped him from my recommendations that very same day. I didn’t have to say “don’t show me this any more”, I didn’t have to deliberately ignore recommendations or anything like that, it was like that one video with the dumb take pushed him over some threshold into a “right wing political” category and YouTube instantly yeeted him out of my recommendations for that.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

You mean to say your shorts aren't exclusively all Cug eating unhealthy food, CallmeKris being cute and speaking to my inner introvert or Liam culturally appropriating Germany?

"A whollle neeewww woooorld"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Diet Crack posted:

You mean to say your shorts aren't exclusively all Cug eating unhealthy food, CallmeKris being cute and speaking to my inner introvert or Liam culturally appropriating Germany?

"A whollle neeewww woooorld"

Delighted I don't have a fucken clue what any of that means

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Sad Panda posted:

Ask IT to install uBlock on your browsers instead?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Thought I had my recommendations fairly locked down again, watched one, loving one video on a historic knife design and half my recommendations for the last day or two have been about "every day carry kit" or "bug out kits" that look to be 97% assorted weapons by weight

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

DesperateDan posted:

Thought I had my recommendations fairly locked down again, watched one, loving one video on a historic knife design and half my recommendations for the last day or two have been about "every day carry kit" or "bug out kits" that look to be 97% assorted weapons by weight

It is kind of funny how exposed the reccommendation algorithms are and how poor they are sometimes when stuff like this happens. I watched a couple of videos that were clips from American Psycho, because I was trying to find one specific line. For the next few days, I then got tons of recommendations I hadn't been getting previously for videos about Quentin Tarantino films, and guys making the thinking face in the thumbnail doing deep analysis and breakdowns of Quentin Tarantino films. I can only assume that I'd been put into some "violent films that guys love talking about online" basket based on those couple of vids, and QT films were what that led to.

Edit: It actually reminds me of my Dad, where if you mention something once in passing then he'll assume you're interested in it and will keep bringing it up, sometimes for years if it particularly intrigued or amused him regardless of whether it's something you are interested in yourself or not.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 3, 2023

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
One curious case of YouTuber madness is Wranglerstar, who used to post interesting but possibly anachronistic US Forestry Service tool maintenance shorts but has recently descended into or revealed an astonishing level of sovcit/prepper madness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJWvd_JWevE

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

We have a problem with team evaluations at work - we've got good team/middle management and so mostly honestly respond with "good" or "fine" or some variation thereof, whereas some other teams go all "oh yeah I absolutely love going to work, can't get enough of it!!!!" and then we look bad, even though we're actually significantly less miserable by all accounts.

Something something modern working environment. To be fair we've been trying to 'express more enthusiasm' since the above was indirectly communicated to us I think.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 3, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Private Speech posted:

We have a problem with team evaluations at work - we've got good team/middle management and so mostly honestly respond with "good" or "fine" or some variation thereof, whereas some other teams go all "oh yeah I absolutely love going to work, can't get enough of it!!!!" and then we look bad, even though we're actually significantly less miserable by all accounts.

Something something modern working environment. To be fair we've been trying to 'express more enthusiasm' since the above was indirectly communicated to us I think.

I remember this dilemma last time I was in a Proper Job. We had this wretched 'engagement' survey to complete every few months and they always said you should answer with regard to your direct line management but many of us felt that this would give a misleading impression to the inhabitants of The Tower of Power. There didn't seem to be any way of indicating that while we may have been totally happy with your own line manager, we were enormously dissatisfied with the ToP bods.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

domhal posted:

One curious case of YouTuber madness is Wranglerstar, who used to post interesting but possibly anachronistic US Forestry Service tool maintenance shorts but has recently descended into or revealed an astonishing level of sovcit/prepper madness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJWvd_JWevE

Oh I had crazy prepper vibes from him for a while. Feel quite validated on my werid politics radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

whomst amongst us doesn't plug our bed into the wall socket just in case