Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDZEP0SH7Jc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Really happy with how my MkIIIs upscaled to match the new MkVIs are turning out.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 23, 2022

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Stephenls posted:

Really happy with how my MkIIIs upscaled to match the new MkVIs are turning out.

Is it just a torso spacer?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

JcDent posted:

Is it just a torso spacer?

Yup.

1.5mm plasticard rectangle added to the little recess the MkIIIs have in the torso side of their waist ball joint, like so:

Then add a bit of green stuff around it and press it into the legs and let the green stuff cure, which gets you this:

Once that's done, pull it off the legs and add a dab of superglue then put it back on, then work a sausage of green stuff into the gap:

...which looks like poo poo because MkIII Space Marines shouldn't have the proportions of a slim-waisted bodybuilder wearing his belt too high.

So add stowage and crap around his waist, carving off bits of the trim from the upper edges of the thigh plates so they can fit flush there. End result is this:

Properly chonky Mark III Space Marines, like Blanche intended.

You'd have to figure out something else to hang off their asses if you don't want to give them chainswords like I have here. Also the kit doesn't come with enough holsters and magazines to outfit all of them, so I grabbed extra from bits resellers, and it doesn't come with grenades to hang off the belts at all, so I'm looting the ones from 40k tactical marine kits -- those come with little pairs of grenades which I'm chopping in half and mounting to the left and right of the loincloth armor things. They look really bad without those grenades, because it becomes obvious how big the gap between their belt and upper thigh armor is.

(My original plan for this involved using a spacer at the neck, too, but I find it makes them look slimmer, which I don't want, and also pushes their height up past the Mark VIs, which I also don't want, so that worked out well.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 23, 2022

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Nice work Stephenls. It looks great! If you're not willing to go with tuga bodies that's a pretty good plastic alternative. The extra space around the torso is particularly nice for hanging all that extra equipment, gives it a nice silhouette. Your boiz are shaping up very well.

AndyElusive posted:

That's a sick White Scar. Your army is gonna look dope.

Cheers!

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 25, 2022

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Since you reminded me with that, a word of warning I've discovered: some of Tortuga's bodies (confirmed so far for both Mk II bionic body sets, I have some others not primed yet) end up with surface defects that are invisible before you start painting them. I ended up with bodies that look 3D printed because of obvious ridges that weren't visible with or without primer, until I laid down a coat of metallic.

So uh... metallic scheme users, maybe sand the flat surfaces, maybe avoid? Visible below with one thin coat of Vallejo Exhaust Manifold, especially visible on the belt and the sides of the torso.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

BULBASAUR posted:

Nice work Stephenls. It looks great! If you're not willing to go with tuga bodies that's a pretty good plastic alternative. The extra space around the torso is particularly nice for hanging all that extra equipment, gives it a nice silhouette. Your boiz are shaping up very well.

Thanks!

I'm not a huge fan of the Tortuga bodies; they're a bit too tall and also they have a sort of, I dunno, bulbous quality? Like there's something about them that makes them look a bit like inflated balloons, they like to make cylindrical shapes that are wider in the middle than at the edges, rather than straight cylinders.

(Also I already had these; they're from an ancient purchase of the Burning of Prospero box. And I already had the plasticard. And the green stuff. Everything here is using stuff I already had handy; I even bought the extra magazines and sidearms ages ago when I realized that no matter what I eventually did with these MkIII bodies I'd probably want more gubbins for them.)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

SkyeAuroline posted:

Since you reminded me with that, a word of warning I've discovered: some of Tortuga's bodies (confirmed so far for both Mk II bionic body sets, I have some others not primed yet) end up with surface defects that are invisible before you start painting them. I ended up with bodies that look 3D printed because of obvious ridges that weren't visible with or without primer, until I laid down a coat of metallic.

So uh... metallic scheme users, maybe sand the flat surfaces, maybe avoid? Visible below with one thin coat of Vallejo Exhaust Manifold, especially visible on the belt and the sides of the torso.

Try a thicker primer?

Gesso primer might be a thought.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Z the IVth posted:

Try a thicker primer?

Gesso primer might be a thought.

Might be the first time "thicker primer" has ever been recommended. I'll figure it out one way or another.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
I got a couple of those holiday Custodes boxes for Christmas, and I want to use them to play Custodes in 30k. I know the bikes aren't the same, and the Terminators are different, but what's the best way to build the 30 Custodes Guard I have on my lap?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I don't think anybody would mind if you ran the plastic GW custodes bikes and terminators as their Forgeworld versions. The only issue I can really see is that the plastic terminators have axes whereas the resin ones have fists, but that's just a simple counts-as conversation to have with whoever you play with.

As for the regular dudes, I think the only thing to keep in mind is that in 30k the guys with the shields and the guys with the spears are in separate units, rather than mixed together like they are in 40k IIRC.

Also I'm almost certain you've got at least 2,000 points just with those models :v:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

SkyeAuroline posted:

Might be the first time "thicker primer" has ever been recommended. I'll figure it out one way or another.

The solution to FDM print lines is literally "coat it in acrylic resin".

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Z the IVth posted:

The solution to FDM print lines is literally "coat it in acrylic resin".

It's especially funny because they're not even printed, unless they printed the masters for these and hosed up the mold they're cast from.

In good news, a Leviathan showed up for Christmas, so now I don't have to invest in artillery (since I won't have the slots for it anyway) any time soon. Just have to wait for the melee arms to come back into stock, or commit to the bit and pick up a melee Leviathan too.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've got some PVC Mantic terrain with printing striations. It happens more than you'd think!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Those tide marks are one of my top complaints about the Tuga models. My assumption is that they printed the masters and then cast them with the marks rather than taking the time to remove them before casting.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Making masters of prints that have print lines on them is just bad. If you're just making a single master surely it's worth it to crank the resolution as high as it will go to eliminate the lines?

Having said that GW is/was guilty of the same I recall so they're following industry standards at least.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
FW has the same issue, but I was corrected that its for different reasons: they machine their molds out of metal. So they're cut lines from a drill bit rather than tide marks. Both suck to deal with though.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
GW released a teaser for unannounced 2023 models

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/12/29/looking-ahead-to-2023-warhammer-the-horus-heresy/

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Plastic jetbikes, let's go

moths
Aug 25, 2004

gently caress yeah Siege of Terra in 2023. I thought 2025 at the soonest.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

moths posted:

gently caress yeah Siege of Terra in 2023. I thought 2025 at the soonest.

Part 1 (of 2???)

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Part 1 (of 2???)

The last Siege of Terra “book” is The End and the Death but it’s actually two books because they’re splitting it in half, yeah.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh poo poo wait I thought that was for the game, not the novel.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Is that a Cerberus Heavy Tank Destroyer in silhouette in the video or was there another variant it could be?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Looks like a Cerberus, a vigilator, a new assassin, a librarian type, and plastic bikes

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Plastic jetbikes, let's go

Price of a WS army now only half a mortgage payment!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I do not think that’s a new assassin type since we just got all their datasheets. Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s a sisters of silence character

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I do not think that’s a new assassin type since we just got all their datasheets. Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s a sisters of silence character

They teased traitor assassins. I'm leaning that way.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
The Vigilator is probably Exodus. Exodus has his own entry in Liber Hereticus despite not having a miniature of his own; that's the sort of thing they'd do if they had a figure due out for him soon.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Has the Alpha Legion crest thing going on as well. I'm set on that being Exodus.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Oh, that one is definitely Exodus. Good news for people like me who already converted Exodus: you can field more than one!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I’d really like a generic Legion Librarian, so that’s what I’m hoping for

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Happy new years

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Good poo poo

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

This year I'm finally building my AoD box and doing testers and painting a legal force of a new legion :unsmith:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

ijyt posted:

This year I'm finally building my AoD box and doing testers and painting a legal force of a new legion :unsmith:

:hmmyes:

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

ijyt posted:

:same:

I think I've built maybe 20 Marine since I got my boxes, and have only primed a single mini.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Broken Record Talk posted:

:same:

I think I've built maybe 20 Marine since I got my boxes, and have only primed a single mini.

I'm a bit ahead of there, but not by a ton (1 siege breaker, 10 tacticals, 5 melta TSS, 1 out of 5 Tyrants, and a Contemptor are all I've managed to finish so far). Hoping to finish this box... eventually, at least, along with supplemental stuff. Working on Seekers today, but it's a lot of back and forth between painting and breaks right now. Got a lot of models ready for priming and bits to make even more work, but it's taking a while to get through the last stages.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I've built everything in the AoD box, my goal is to finalize my main 3k list and get all of the infantry/dreadnoughts painted. After that I can focus on special projects/additions.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I had two resin Spartans I wanted to finish before I got the AoD box and had a plastic one tempting me.

I sawed off the feed gates!

But I have stayed strong and not done poo poo with the plastic one, so maaaaaaybe I can keep that part of the promise to myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Because I wanted to, and because I wanted to see if I could, I've been assembling a squad of five tactical support marines armed with volkite chargers. They're not on any army list I've put together, this is mostly just for fun. I only have the thirty Mark III marines that came with the Burning of Prospero box I bought about five years ago, twenty of which I've made into a big tactical squad blob, and five and a half of which remain on sprue. The remaining four and a half consist of one fully painted heavy bolter marine for last edition of 40k kill team that I never built the rest of the kill team for, one fully built true-scale experiment I didn't like because I put a spacer at the neck so he came off as too tall and slender, and two and a half other marines I built either fully or halfway in order to test heights against other models. Instead of using the five on sprue, I decided to track down, disassemble, and strip the four and a half test marines and use them for the charger squad.

Why chargers? Well, partially because I read a bit about how calivers are kind of a bad choice because a heavy support squad armed with culverines is significantly better for barely more points, but mostly because a) I wanted to reproduce the appearance of a Crusade-era tactical squad from during the period when the Imperium was experimenting with using volkite as the default marine loadout instead of bolters, and b) I thought equipping big heavy stompy up-scaled Mark III marines with short snub-nosed volkite chargers would look funnier.

Mark III marines have an interesting assembly that lets the Phobos bolter from their kit sit perfectly in place on a little ridge at their right wrist without gluing, which means you can easily use a loose plastic Phobos bolter to ensure the arms are glued to the shoulders with plastic cement and then pull the bolter out aftewards once the weld is set. This is the current state of all the marines in my tactical squad (except the sergeant and augury scanner guy who are holding their bolters one-handed), with the bolters glued to a little bolter tree so I can paint them separately:

(Inspired by a bit in I think the Horus Heresy Masterclass book where they show how the Warhammer World dropsite massacre diorama was done, with hundreds of bolters painted separately like this.)

Anyway the point is I assembled the Mark III charger squad using this method, with a bolter used to pose the arms but not glued:

(The resin shoulder pads are because I've used a few MkIII shoulder pads here and there since buying the Prospero box, and the MkIII kit doesn't come with extras; I have to make up the difference somehow and I had a set of ten MkIII Raven Guard pads I bought from ForgeWorld ages and ages ago. The sergeant doesn't have one because, uh, I couldn't separate the shoulder from the arm of one of the glued-together marines I disassembled for this project. I'll give him a command decal or something on that shoulder. Also the guy in the middle doesn't have a waist spacer because I couldn't pull his torso and waist apart.)

I then carefully cut the hands from the bodies of the chargers...

...and it works. Mostly.

That's five Mark III Marines holding plastic volkite chargers from the Mark VI Special Weapon Upgrades set, effectively reproducing the appearance of a Crusade-era volkite-equipped tactical squad. I think it's pretty cool. The left hands cover up the bit where I cut the hands off the guns, and even from behind it doesn't really show any damage from that. It should work fine for any of the other weapons in the set... with the possible exception of the rotor cannons, since they're underslung. I don't know how the various heavy weapon sets would work.

The only catch is the lower edge of the charger body is slightly lower in relation to the right hand than it is on the plastic Phobos bolters, so if you use the method I used to glue the hands in place, the barrel of the charger will point upwards at a slight angle. I solved this problem by carving a bit more off the bottoms of two of the charger bodies, for the arms that are supposed to be holding them level, and then just not caring for the bodies where the chargers are being held at an upward or downward angle. The Mark III kit has four arm poses -- gun levelled but held low to the torso (three of 'em), gun leveled at eye-level (three again), gun held at upward angle (two) and gun held at lower angle (two).

(Not pictured above: I also cut the soft ribbing from the wrists of the chargers so the guns could fit flush with the right wrists of the MkIII arms.)

I thought I should pose this here in case anyone had anything to learn from my attempt to get the MkVI special weapons to work on MkIII armor.

EDIT: Okay they're done. I've got my Crusade-era boarding-action volkite Raven Guard.

(I'm sure that vexilla won't catch on the roofs of any spaceship hallways....)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 3, 2023