Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
Just ran into the first ranged zealot i've played with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
They just need to bring back the green circles, that's all people really want.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Fishstick posted:

Its a big enough pop to play games, but so many of the game's systems incentivise easy, guaranteed runs on Malice instead of playing for skill. That, and the existing bugs don't make playing top end a lot of fun, tbh.
Yeah I like playing on Heresy (haven't tried Damnation yet) but between the crashes, latency issues (ghost bullets, input dropping, that thing where you swap weapons but it just swaps you back), and the fact that they've reintroduced the green dust issue where the supposed "common" currency is your crafting bottleneck if you play on higher difficulties has all meant that I mostly just stick to chill Malice runs with the occasional foray into Heresy in order to avoid being frustrated.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The amount I've been playing has dropped off substantially due to a few issues.

1. Disconnects. I regularly (as in, about every third or fourth mission) lose connection to the server and am booted back to the main menu, wasting however much time I had spent in the mission.

2. Load times are horrendous, which makes point 1 worse.

3. Leveling feels like it's taking ages. 20-30 minutes for a single mission, 3-4 missions on difficulty 2 to get a level.

I also feel like my zealot is increasingly pointless. I keep landing in groups where veterans murder everything at range, ogryn wipe out everything in close, and psykers have big area effect attacks. I feel like I'm constantly left to just pick off stragglers or get a wave that spawned in a direction no one else was looking.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I also feel like my zealot is increasingly pointless. I keep landing in groups where veterans murder everything at range, ogryn wipe out everything in close, and psykers have big area effect attacks. I feel like I'm constantly left to just pick off stragglers or get a wave that spawned in a direction no one else was looking.

Use a flamethower, even if the others could have killed stuff it's fun to spew flame everywhere

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Cythereal posted:

3. Leveling feels like it's taking ages. 20-30 minutes for a single mission, 3-4 missions on difficulty 2 to get a level.

Is there a reason you're not playing on a higher difficulty like Malice?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

a dmc delorean posted:

Is there a reason you're not playing on a higher difficulty like Malice?

I assumed that was for when I was at higher levels with better gear. I'm at level 18 or so.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I assumed that was for when I was at higher levels with better gear. I'm at level 18 or so.

You can probably play Heresy (t4)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cythereal posted:

I started on malice at a lower level, try the higher difficulties

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I dove in VT2 after enjoying but being frustrated by DT, and it’s great! The Skittergate set piece is very cool and dramatic compared to, popping your hundredth demonic growth.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Cythereal posted:

If you find yourself staying alive on 3 and arent taking a ton of (currently survivable) damage, you can probably move up. Power rating for damage will help, but knowing how to not take damage is way more important.

wedgie deliverer posted:

I dove in VT2 after enjoying but being frustrated by DT, and it’s great! The Skittergate set piece is very cool and dramatic compared to, popping your hundredth demonic growth.

Yeah as much hate as skittergate got (mostly for its length and occasional buggy boss spawns at the end), it's an amazing and memorable map. The rickety scaffolding start, the port to norsca, the masses of fuckin' blightstormers on the snow area, seeing how fast you can ruin the day of Gatekeeper Naglfahr, the generator destruction and dash back through the portal and then a unique boss?

Compared to running Shotgun mcShieldy in his iron grate house over and over i'd take skittergate any day.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 2, 2023

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
If there's one thing that'll make me put Darktide down, it's Speedload.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Is there a consensus on the best Zealot melee weapons? I'm really enjoying the thunder hammer, but I've only got one profane (grey) one and drops seem exceedingly rare. As I level up and the other weapons in the shop get higher ratings, I imagine I'll need to switch to something more boring eventually. Is it worth saving up money from the weekly challenges for a limited time acquisition if I (ever) see a good hammer there, or would I be better served getting something else entirely? I can only afford a limited time acquisition once every few weeks even if I play a fair amount, so I'd hate to waste that money.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Is there a consensus on the best Zealot melee weapons? I'm really enjoying the thunder hammer, but I've only got one profane (grey) one and drops seem exceedingly rare. As I level up and the other weapons in the shop get higher ratings, I imagine I'll need to switch to something more boring eventually. Is it worth saving up money from the weekly challenges for a limited time acquisition if I (ever) see a good hammer there, or would I be better served getting something else entirely? I can only afford a limited time acquisition once every few weeks even if I play a fair amount, so I'd hate to waste that money.

Knife w/ lacerate and bleed talents 100%

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

It's only worth spending melk bucks at level 30 imo, so just keep saving those up till then. You'll generally find a better version eventually, and if you haven't gotten to play around with all the weapons yet leveling is a good time to try them out.

IMO I like the Eviscaretor and Crusher most, but I generally enjoy horde control as my melee weapon choice.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I've been taking heavy blades into damnation lately and they've rapidly become my favorites, but they need a high level headtaker blessing (pretty much a straight up 50-62.5% damage increase) to be competitive.

Most notably their vanguard type light attacks all deal really good cleave damage and can hit up to 8(!) targets, which makes the Turtolsky MkIX a real pox walker blender since it has all vanguard attacks on its lights. They're also really good at dealing with Ragers since the special attack can stunlock them, plus you get high dodge distance to back off from their combos if there's multiple of them.

uncalled for!
Dec 26, 2006

Cognac McCarthy posted:

if you're picking critical hit-focused feats, seek out a knife/axe with a talent that maximizes crits or bleeding. otherwise, I typically rotate between the maul, the hammer and the eviscerator. That said, I haven't used the maul ever since the emperor gifted me an autogun with cadian roulette.

As for what to spend your Melk bucks on: look for a weapon with a moveset you love with 350+ stats and perfectly synchronized blessings. Or spend them on something that's just pretty good and see a weapon with perfect rolls come up right after

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Antax Axe hits heads on every swing. Brutal Momentum turns it into a horde clear weapon. An autogun with Crucian Roulette and an empty clip gives you a ridiculous crit rate, so you can still run the crit/bleed/damage resist build.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Is there a consensus on the best Zealot melee weapons?

Nice thing about Zealot is he has a lot of good options, it isn't like Veteran where the power sword eclipses the other options or Psyker with 3 viable staves and a couple unique melee weapons, you can point to almost every weapon they have and someone will tell you it's their favorite weapon.

For me, I've been spamming lacerate dagger and power sliding into giant hordes of gunners without taking a scratch and feel like I got a lot of viable ranged options to go along with it, either flamer when the hordes get too thick for the rest of the team who can't dodge backwards 5 miles out of danger with the downside of slow equip speed, shotgun for when I need to stagger a disabler or shooter before it attacks within 0.2 seconds, or revolver for instant snipes.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Is there a consensus on the best Zealot melee weapons? I'm really enjoying the thunder hammer, but I've only got one profane (grey) one and drops seem exceedingly rare.

There isn't as zealot can make a lot of weapons work.

Eviscerator is really good, it has good horde clear and good single target although that requires combo management and the special action respectively.

Crusher is also good, the special can chain CC crowds and specials.

The thunder hammer isn't great but should be pretty good after the buffs. I'm not a fan of how hard it is to use the special attack on the right enemy but it sure does a lot of damage when you do hit.

Combat blade bleed build is good but I think you need a good second blessing to keep the damage competitive. I've heard haymaker is really good and the weak point damage one looks good but without blessing crafting, I can't make a good combat blade.

Antax axe is really good with brutal momentum.

I haven't tried the other weapons much.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Problem with the ant axe is that, on higher difficulties, you ideally want a blessing that lets you build power on your attacks. It's the only way to one-shot the tougher scabs and dregs. It's hard to find an axe with both.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cognac McCarthy posted:

It really depends on what you like, almost any of the weapons are viable. The crit/bleed builds with knives or axes are really strong, but the playstyle with those is pretty frantic with tons and tons of rapid clicking. Eviscerator is kind of a best of all worlds choice, with strong crowd killing potential and a strong anti-elite attack. The swords are good for crowd killing but tend to lack the oomph to take down heavily armored stuff. The crusher is better at crowd control than the thunder hammer, but it is less effective at killing elites. The thunder hammer is really good at managing crowds, but not as good at killing them. It has the strongest single target damage potential of any of the weapons, though.

Your gun choice can also help balance out your melee weapon choice. For example, if you use a melee weapon that lacks punch against armored enemies, you can take a bolter with its focus on destroying armored enemies to give you flexibility.

You might consider what it is about the hammer that you enjoy, then experiment with other weapons that offer similar benefits or play in a similar fashion. The eviscerator is probably the closest analogue, with slightly more complex attack patterns, more cleave damage, and a lesser but still extremely powerful special attack that operates similarly. I personally love the hammer and have used it successfully at all difficult levels.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Enjoy posted:

You can probably play Heresy (t4)

PSA: do not play heresy sub level 20 unless you're actually good at the game. Probably best to wait until 30

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Pro zealot tip: your ranged weapon ignores armor for the duration of chastise the wicked. It's enough to kill a crusher and a half usually.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

combine that tip with the autopistol for some truly stupid shenanigans

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I didn't know that you could get the same weekly twice

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I didn't know that you could get the same weekly twice

You have five unique weeklies, though? :confused:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Kith posted:

You have five unique weeklies, though? :confused:

Somehow I got scabs and dregs mixed up, probably because i have to melee both

How!
Oct 29, 2009

What should I be looking for in a fencing sword? I’ve been aiming at maxing out critical chance and critical damage so far.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Psyker talk' Brain burst is too slow and doesn't do enough damage, and I feel like I'm made of tissue even though I have 4 wounds. What is the meta supposed to be exactly?

Void staff is the only good feeling staff so far, but I've only gotten to try 3 out if the 4 (the sith lightning one and the starter staff).
What perks best synergize with the force sword/void staff? Also, what are the recommended perks/blessings for this weapon combo?

For curios, is it toughness stacking that should be prioritized?

Are there any ideal choices in feat selection for this weapon combo?

If this has been answered already please let me know whose post history to check.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I like doing a health curio, a Stam curio, and either another health or a wounds. I don't know if toughness is good for everyone because it is a renewable resource, while health is not. This is just me spitballing, theory rafting might have already figured out the optimal spread

And yeah brain burst is not great on Heresy or Damnation. Needs some reworking

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Are poxwalkers considered dregs for the purposes of weekly challenges? Or are they their own thing altogether? Also, I came across a Reddit post that mentions that your teammates' ranged and melee kills count towards your progress on those challenges, which is extremely helpful (and helpful to know) but not explained anywhere at all, from what I can tell.

E: Also, thanks for the helpful responses re: my Zealot melee weapons question. It's really useful to have an idea of what base weapon rating I should be looking for

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Are poxwalkers considered dregs for the purposes of weekly challenges? Or are they their own thing altogether?

Based on Penances, there are three factions: dregs, scabs, and terrors of the warp. Poxwalkers are terrors.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Poxwalkers are neither dregs nor scabs iirc.

And yes, anyone on your teams kills will contribute towards your weeklies. Makes the kill ones go by very quickly.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Ah! I had no idea there was a third category, interesting. I haven't really paid any attention to penances yet

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Carew posted:

Just ran into the first ranged zealot i've played with

Legit, was considering trying something like that myself. I run with my bolter up most of the time, so having it chunk people closer to me faster while still being able to deal from range would suit how I play.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Oh wow so devs won't even make an announcement until next week and thats a maybe so potentially 2+ weeks of more silence after completely failing to deliver on the crafting system.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Got a link?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

It makes sense if they have been off for the holidays, but it might just be worth it to say “Our staff crunched to get this game ready for Christmas. We know we have a lot of work to do, but we needed to rest and recharge after a long development cycle. We look forward to delivering XYZ soon.”

Then again I have no experience in gamer public Relations and this might be unrealistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If the game released in this state, that's on management. I don't want to see the devs killing themselves to fix poo poo they already knew was broken or missing. As always, communication skills at Fatshark are in short supply, so people are rightfully getting antsy.