Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The other backups were
  • Ally: Sir Amanda Maillard, S'more Paladin
  • Siobhan: Bitternight Darknibs, Sugarless Chocolate Walock/Fighter
  • Murph: Bubblegum Monster, a construct of unknown class
  • Lou: Murdo Brer, Molasses Necromancy Wizard
Maillard and Bitternight got mentioned briefly in-game. If Bitternight had entered play she would've been revealed as General Rococoa, Amethar's oldest sister, who sold her sugar to the Hungry One and returned as a revenant to seek revenge.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Still love that he spent three combats deliberately trying to kill Lou's character and the party managed to thwart that.

Blood Keep is one of the best side quests. It's such a perfect little package, and that they thwart his final battle because they become work best friends is so delightful.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Rescue at Buzzybrook is one of the best episodes of the season, and a large part of that is Saccharina. There's a huge amount of catharsis from their first major victory, after an exhausting season of tension it's so cool for them to pop off. Saccharina's opening turn is iconic but it's also such a great episode for Liam, this is where they go full Candalorian and start dropping outrageous amounts of single-target damage. I really like though at the end when they're starting to press their luck, the golems come out and shut it down quickly.

By contrast the two-part battle finale got away from Brennan a bit. The homebrew army rules they were using applied pretty crazy buffs to their squads as long as they stayed with them and the morale penalties for casualties were relatively easy to inflict, so with the action economy of an entire buffed squad of 15-20 soldiers they were able to alpha strike and rout the too-even forces pretty easily. It was kind of a letdown after the best season of Dimension 20 combat ever. Not to say that there weren't incredible moments, because holy poo poo.

"What's the last part of my title? Say it."

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

blackcross posted:

Emily did nothing wrong in creating this character and she shouldn't have gotten the backlash from it but it made it very difficult for me to make it through the back half of the season.

She got backlash for it? I suppose it shouldn't be too surprising, but it's still disheartening even to hear about, so I can't imagine how dispiriting it is to actually live with. The worst I've heard in her particular case is when Murph gave her NaDDPod campaign 3 character a load of homebrew spells based off older edition spells as a present (Christmas, I think?) because Emily loves spells so much, and they got so many complaints after only a week or two during which she'd only used a couple of them that she stopped using them. How loving disgusting is it that she basically had to tell her husband she was going to stop using spells because assholes online were complaining about her having fun using them? :smith:

blackcross
Apr 10, 2005

tsob posted:

She got backlash for it? I suppose it shouldn't be too surprising, but it's still disheartening even to hear about, so I can't imagine how dispiriting it is to actually live with. The worst I've heard in her particular case is when Murph gave her NaDDPod campaign 3 character a load of homebrew spells based off older edition spells as a present (Christmas, I think?) because Emily loves spells so much, and they got so many complaints after only a week or two during which she'd only used a couple of them that she stopped using them. How loving disgusting is it that she basically had to tell her husband she was going to stop using spells because assholes online were complaining about her having fun using them? :smith:

Oh yeah. She had to stop using twitter because it was so bad.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
https://twitter.com/eaxford/status/1281101270976102401?s=20&t=dvZt4mWvRdU3kyFSE0XRng

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The animation for A Court of Fey & Flowers that just dropped is fun.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's entirely not her fault, but the story does narratively leave the original characters annoyingly behind by the end of it. Issue is in how strong the first half is and how invested you get in Amathar that it becomes disappointing when he becomes a borderline background character.

Same thing kind of happened with that magic school season they did with Brennan's character. It's just very hard to work around a dnd character who has an inherit 'importance' that other characters don't. Worked for Amathar initially because that's where the story started, and the other characters ties to him made it all related.

tl;dr blame Brennan he's clearly the worst dem ever and should be ashamed of himself.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I finally committed the time to watch the Lou Adventuring Academy and god drat if the second half of that isn't the most unhinged thing I've ever watched.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It's entirely not her fault, but the story does narratively leave the original characters annoyingly behind by the end of it. Issue is in how strong the first half is and how invested you get in Amathar that it becomes disappointing when he becomes a borderline background character.

Same thing kind of happened with that magic school season they did with Brennan's character. It's just very hard to work around a dnd character who has an inherit 'importance' that other characters don't. Worked for Amathar initially because that's where the story started, and the other characters ties to him made it all related.

tl;dr blame Brennan he's clearly the worst dem ever and should be ashamed of himself.

I'm not trying to be the Brennan apologist at large here but I'm confused by the notion that Amether took a back seat in the plot. I guess he didn't have as much to do with the Sugarplum fairy stuff but that was a pretty small section packed with character growth for a lot of players.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

My D20 hot take is the Crown of Candy wasn’t that good.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
my hot take is that I think that a Crown of Candy rocks (pun intended).

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Did AcoC come out before GoT ended or did it just predict the coming Danarys twist

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

My hot take is the first half of CoC is as good as Game of Thrones was. Pitch loving perfect complex aristocracy drama.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
New neverafter is up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I finally committed the time to watch the Lou Adventuring Academy and god drat if the second half of that isn't the most unhinged thing I've ever watched.

Lou's always good. The Foundry where Brennan forced him to build an overpowered Chungledown Bim for him to eventually face in the future was a cracker.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
The back half of A Crown Of Candy was cut short because Covid started popping off during filming. Lots of narrative stuff that could have been handled gently had to be brute forced in order to get the show out the door.

Saccharina immediately taking over the entire narrative just by existing is the problem the internet fixated on because it's an excuse to yell at a woman.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Froghammer posted:

The back half of A Crown Of Candy was cut short because Covid started popping off during filming. Lots of narrative stuff that could have been handled gently had to be brute forced in order to get the show out the door.

Saccharina immediately taking over the entire narrative just by existing is the problem the internet fixated on because it's an excuse to yell at a woman.

Not to defend internet assholes here, but "COVID production problems" probably isn't something most people know about; especially when it's not entirely clear when a show is taped, the show tends to film several episodes at a time and the season was already roughly the length of a normal full season anyway. It's clear in hindsight that it's an episode shorter, but that wouldn't be clear as the show is airing. A lot of the people giving out about it probably wouldn't have known that the production had been hit by COVID/lockdown stuff when giving out. A lot of them also wouldn't have cared, and I don't think anyone publicly yelling about it was likely to be concerned about anything beyond the excuse anyway, but I doubt most of them knew regardless.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Froghammer posted:

i thought fantasy high season 2 was the one airing when covid hit, since the last episode is over zoom

edit: it appears i am correct, but crown of candy started in april 2020, so its plausible that they were recording crown of candy at the same time they were streaming sophomore year, but considering they would have to disassemble and reassemble the set for that to be the case i doubt it

second edit: “The season was filmed in August 2019 and is one shortest and busiest filming schedules of Dimension 20, taking approximately 18 days total. The first 11 episodes were filmed in just six days.[3]
The season was intended to be 20-21 episodes long, and included additional battle sets for both a pleasure lounge in Comida/Fructera and a coliseum battle in Carne, the capital of the Meat Lands, before the Los Angeles Fire Marshal prohibited them from operating out of their current venue a week before filming was scheduled to start.
The crew often makes jokes during the episodes about being "in a freezing cold warehouse at 2am" due to their new location and compressed work schedule.”

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 23, 2022

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I still really like A Crown of Candy despite the obvious rushing toward the end. Saccharina was fine as a character, but because she came in so late she basically had to be the focus of the narrative - doubly so when she was going around wrecking shop in every encounter.

I do still hope we get Unsleeping City season 3, I want to see more of Cody being the worst thing to happen to Ricky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HlSxG41siU

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

So, this week's Game Changer is up. It's certainly something.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I'm glad that someone did eventually try "How many you got?" even if Sam said that it would be extremely unwise.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
perfect episode closer. I’m hungie!

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I hope they have footage of the post wrap and the pizza.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I mean, if you stay past the credits, she's just lying there, eating the pizza.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Dunno how i missed it, thanks.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

"start lower, I beg of you" has to be one of the most menacing things Sam said on this show.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Actual Play Alums Form New TTRPG Podcast Worlds Beyond Number
Dimension 20 and Critical Role veterans strike out to make their own creator-owned thing.

quote:

The tabletop roleplaying space has plenty of Actual Play series to grab the attention of fans of the medium, and Dimension 20 is one of the larger series out there. Through over a dozen seasons, the Dropout series has allowed a fairly rotating roster of cast members to stretch their chops in the space and dip into other TTRPGs beyond Dungeons & Dragons. And for a handful of those actors, they’re now branching off to create their own specific, non-corporate space in the Actual Play world.

After being teased throughout the last week of 2022, the new tabletop RPG podcast Worlds Beyond Number was formally announced. Headlining the cast are Brennan Lee Mulligan, Erika Ishii, Aabria Iyengar, and Lou Wilson, who’ve all been on multiple seasons of D20 and also Critical Role, and Fortunate Horse creative director Taylor Moore. Per the website, the new creator-owned series will be about “playing games and making up stories with your friends. Across genres, across worlds, from immersive, years-long cinematic epics to wild, chaotic one-shots, the possibilities are...a lot.”

Right now, it’s not known how this’ll effect Dimension 20 going forward—Mulligan co-created the show and is a frequent Game Master, as is Iyengar, who held that role in the recently concluded A Court of Fey & Flowers. The show’s current season Neverafter stars Wilson and has Mulligan back as DM (both of whom were also in Court), but in recent seasons such as Coffin Run and 2021's Shriek Week, neither have appeared in any capacity. With Worlds now thrown into the equation, it may be that Dimension 20 will bring in more “new” GMs and actors so its more recurring cast members aren’t burnt out on all things tabletop.

Following character and world reveals throughout the month of January, February will see the launch of Worlds Beyond Number’s Patreon. Patrons will get access to episodes a week before public subscribers, in addition to other benefits. Finally, the first episode of the first story will be made available for free to the public in March. It’s unclear what the release schedule will be for episodes going forward.

That sounds neat, but the title is weirdly close but not identical to Worlds Without Number, which is a very popular OSR system. (Both of its books are in the DTRPG Top 20 Bestsellers' List atm and both were at the top spot when they came out.) Are they using the system and chose a title that's confusing similar to the system they're using? Are they gonna be playing other games and the show just so happens to have a title that's almost identical to a popular game's title? Either way it's a bit weird, tbh.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Huh, I would have thought that Dimension 20 was already Brennan's baby, but I assume this new venture is outside of Dropout, so perhaps it's something he'd have more creative control over; though I wouldn't have thought he'd have been notably limited with what he could do with Dimension 20 either, at the same time. It perhaps sounds a bit grubby to say that it could just be down to simple economics, and a new creator owned venture means he, along with Aabria, Erika and Lou would have a greater cut of profits from anything they do but I genuinely don't mean it to sound that way. I wonder what that means for D20; will they have others DM a bit more on it going forward?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I suspect this might be "Brennan gets to just sit back and relax as a player, while also being the big name draw" podcast.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

tsob posted:

Huh, I would have thought that Dimension 20 was already Brennan's baby, but I assume this new venture is outside of Dropout, so perhaps it's something he'd have more creative control over; though I wouldn't have thought he'd have been notably limited with what he could do with Dimension 20 either, at the same time. It perhaps sounds a bit grubby to say that it could just be down to simple economics, and a new creator owned venture means he, along with Aabria, Erika and Lou would have a greater cut of profits from anything they do but I genuinely don't mean it to sound that way. I wonder what that means for D20; will they have others DM a bit more on it going forward?

i think it being a podcast network already makes it pretty distinct from dropout’s video network format

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Murph and Emily have set the rule, you're allowed to participate in two actual plays, but no more than that. (For all I know they actually do more. I'm just making stuff up.)

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Froghammer posted:

Anyone ragging on her is a jerk, and any grief she got over it is a bummer.

When I watched it, there was a real whiplash as the narrative spotlight left Amathar and drifted over to her character. At least for me that came from how incredibly strong the story had been on the king in exile running away with his family and few trusted servants. The character showing up halfway through that tale, having the next couple missions be errands for the character, then being given a nuclear dragon and iirc making the ultimate choice of what happens with the kingdom... it was just a bit much.

It's the same issue they ran into with Brennan's character in that Harry Potter season, kinda, where one player becomes the clear narrative focus, but compounded by the whole mid-season thing.

Very well might flow better on a watch where you aren't watching week to week. Or if someone doesn't dig the first half as much as I did. Need to re-watch it one of these days.

Megazver posted:

Actual Play Alums Form New TTRPG Podcast Worlds Beyond Number
Dimension 20 and Critical Role veterans strike out to make their own creator-owned thing.

Can't imagine D20 w/o Brennan, and would be surprised if he left the umbrella of CH given how much leeway they clearly give him for projects. Sure why not tho, get into podcasts golden boy.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 3, 2023

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

there's a website : https://worldsbeyondnumber.com

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The latest Game Changer is yet another Improv thing that I didn't know existed, and am in total awe of. (Although I would say it's more impressive than it is enjoyable.)

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I dunno the entire cereal bit had me rolling.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Gonna be honest, i am not a fan of these types of thing. This and make some noise just don't do it for me. As a quick skit or something it's bearable but when it gets stretched out into an entire show I just switch off.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I love Make Some Noise, but yeah, I made it about five minutes into this game changer and realized it suuuuper was not for me. Like, hell yeah, enjoy yourselves shakespeare enjoyers, but whew I can't do it

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I was also gonna shut it off after five but honestly it gets into a groove after like ten minutes when the prompts were more specific. Certainly not the one of the best episodes but it wasn't bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Not the new Game Changer, but watching a few random Breaking News episodes and I just.. how is Amy real? It's amazing and all but still.