Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hamhandler posted:

I can't think of any other examples, but I think it's probably an inversion of "elves as nobility" that is pretty easy to come to.

IMO the suspicious things is the Grey Wardens being cribbed from Witchers. Monster hunters created via ritual that kills bunch of them via imbibing elements of their enemies in order to become widely reviled but needed members of society seems a little on the nose.

Back in the day I started Dragon Age literally the day after finishing The Witcher, and my first thoughts were something along the lines of "are you making GBS threads me"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

IceG posted:

So this may be seen as terrible but I think I accidentally autofailed his side quest when i did some story quest...he seemed like a bro most of the time though?!

skipmyseashells posted:

thought he was really funny with how much of a hater he is and then really liked him after he told his backstory

bit of a thread meme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTJAc0COA3k

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I do beleive that this phrase came from here, and then I used it in a few interviews so now it's out in the wild. Great line from whomever came up with it, kudos.

searching for the phrase in this thread pulls up this as the first hit on May 25th 2015 which would've been a week after the game released:

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah the Magic Yrden is great, it farts lightning every second or so at enemies within the radius.

Unrelated, but I don't really get people complaining about the setting. Yeah it's pretty grimdark but holy poo poo this feels like Witcher 3: Peasant Misery Simulator. There are a ton of sidequests everywhere and none of them feel of the shallow MMO "go kill dudes and collect bear asses" or other generic mold. There are all these villages dotted everywhere with a kinda believably-sized peasant population and the quests somehow manage to always feel pretty meaningful and do a lot of world-building.

Edit: like, I kinda care about these poor miserable fuckers.

doesn't really matter where it came from, it's a good descriptor of Velen and like was said, Skellige. Really the whole game.

this thread is probably one of the more active W3 discussion places on the internet I'd guess? it's still going strong after 7+ years

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Whoever loving thought the crones fight was a good idea should be punched in the loving dick.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
My sword has been blessed with the power of Pierogis. :pray:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

NieR Occomata posted:

Whoever loving thought the crones fight was a good idea should be punched in the loving dick.

What was wrong with the Crone's fight? I also don't get the issue with the Caretaker, all his attacks are super telegraphed so you never get hit. His only gimmick is that he steals life and you gotta kill the souls he summons so he doesn't get healed too much.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I had more problems with Iris and targeting the painting. You don't even really need to kill the souls Caretaker summons I guess, I think I just ground him down. The key is to not get hit so he can't lifesteal. It's a bit tedious of a fight but "don't get hit" is your main combat move anyway.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

On the other hand the finale was pretty cool.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

steinrokkan posted:

Back in the day I started Dragon Age literally the day after finishing The Witcher, and my first thoughts were something along the lines of "are you making GBS threads me"

I love Dragon Age, but this. By the time Dragon Age came out I’d beaten The Witcher 3 or 4 times, and loved it. With Dragon Age’s constant talk as being “dark fantasy,” I expected another game similar in tone to The Witcher with a party of characters like in Baldur’s Gate. And while I appreciate it much more now, I was very disappointed at first, because I felt the game was no darker than the average Forgotten Realms story. The tone of Dragon Age Origins is essentially The Witcher: brought to you by Disney’s Marvel and directed by Joss Whedon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's the Marilyn Manson trailer for me, honestly.

Origins came out right as EA was going into its extreme edgelord advertising phase and its pretty hilarious watching the Origins trailer playing up the sex and violence with its ugly visuals while blasting This Is The New poo poo.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 2, 2023

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

I love dragon age inquisition but it was served really well by coming out 6 months before witcher 3

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I didn't finish inquisition because it felt too much like an mmo

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
DA:I is pretty much the ultimate lovely open world game

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
DA:I is a much better game once you just cheat at it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
One thing I still haven't gotten used to is that you don't automatically ready your weapon when entering combat, so like 10% of the time Geralt is trying to fist fight a ghost.

Seemingly actions don't queue either so you have to wait for the attack animation to end before you can pull out a sword.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Oh, this is a fun new development! The past several crashes on PS5 have all caused the game to forget that I ever played it, despite the presence of multiple save files, meaning I have to recalibrate my display and re-do all of my preferred options every single time it happens, which is about once a day at this point. There are some talented people work at CDProjekt. They are not in the coding department. :thumbsup:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fritz the Horse posted:

I didn't finish inquisition because it felt too much like an mmo

It's weird because ever since NWN1/KOTOR Bioware were innovating hard in the RPG space. You get Mass Effect 1 and Dragon Age. Then Mass Effect optimises for 'fun action shooter with a story' and lets the RPG bits slide, while Dragon Age 2 tries to be Mass Effect but is a disaster for other reasons. Then for some reason both Mass Effect and Inquisition become MMOs, despite the fact that traditional MMOs were on the way out and nobody has ever actually liked the open world bit of MMOs, it's all about dungeons.

e: like, consciously or not the Witcher games take the lesson of the Mass Effect series to heart, which is that if the story is compelling and the action is good enough to make you identify with the player character, then the class building and gear bit of the game can take a hard backseat and people will notice but nobody will care. Meanwhile Bioware decided that what they really needed was RNG loot.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 3, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Most ancient swords sucking is at least canon to the witcher books, where the best sword Gerqlt sees is a newly forged one with the most advanced alloys and manufacturing techniques.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

infernal machines posted:

One thing I still haven't gotten used to is that you don't automatically ready your weapon when entering combat, so like 10% of the time Geralt is trying to fist fight a ghost.

There should be an option in the gameplay menu that makes you automatically draw your sword at the start of combat rather than doing it manually.

Tunicate posted:

Most ancient swords sucking is at least canon to the Witcher books, where the best sword Geralt sees is a newly forged one with the most advanced alloys and manufacturing techniques.

This is a big part of the Witcher setting that I love. It's one of the few medieval fantasy settings I've read that is emphatically not stuck in a static timeframe. The world changes, science advances, progress marches on. Places that were small one day are huge decades later, and nothing ever stays the same.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dragon Age is okay. It doesn't really blow you away, but it's not annoying or boring. The main threat isn't very complicated, and there's not really anything particularly unique about the gameplay or setting. It's fine. I get the impression that you can sort of see some of the decay happening to the studio under EA's guidance, but I can't say anything for sure.

The one biggest gimmick is the separate starting chapters, but also some of the origins are written much better than others, and the human origin that most people default to felt the most boring to me. Play as a dwarf.

Tunicate posted:

Most ancient swords sucking is at least canon to the witcher books, where the best sword Gerqlt sees is a newly forged one with the most advanced alloys and manufacturing techniques.

But I want to use the cheese sword!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Origins had been in development for nearly 5 years by the time Bioware had been bought out by EA. DA2 had about 2 years of development post-EA acquisition and it shows.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

infernal machines posted:

Everybody knows this only works if you also aggressively hum the Ghostbusters theme.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So once you go back to Kaer Mohren it really feels like the plot gets super on rails and manufactured in a way that’s fairly inorganic even though they’re paying off plot threads. It kinda has the mass effect 3 problem where suddenly everyone wants to meet you and resolve their personal/long-running issues, except it’s all concentrated for after the entire narrative thrust of the game up until that point had been well and truly resolved.

Like, up until that point the game was really good at balancing political intrigue from the different needs of the Empire, the Redanians, the Temerians/freedom fighters, the Isles, and had this really great mix of scaled stories from the super personal to the hugely impactful. Once you get Ciri it’s just like bam bam bam bam bam rushing headlong to the end in a way that feels really at odds with the sort of tone and pacing of the 170ish hours up until that point. And you can argue that’s because the game suddenly has a sense of urgency and while that’s kind of true, it feels more like the game should’ve paced all the stuff that happens immediately after Kaer Mohren to be immediately before, since you immediately go from this gigantic epic battle for Ciri’s soul to going across the world dotting all the I’s and crossing all the t’s.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 3, 2023

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Arc Hammer posted:

Origins had been in development for nearly 5 years by the time Bioware had been bought out by EA. DA2 had about 2 years of development post-EA acquisition and it shows.

Is that what happened? Jesus it makes so much more sense now

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Farming infinitely respawning hanse bandits to buy materials for grandmaster upgrades because I'm loving sick of crafting the materials to craft the materials that will let me craft the materials I need to craft the materials for my grandmaster upgrades. I'd rather just kill poo poo and buy it from the merchant. I've got time.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I beat Witcher 3. All I have left is BaW but man, gently caress, I’m super burned out on this game. I played it for nearly 190 hours and I’ve done virtually everything one can do - all non-BaW sidequests, all optional quests, all contracts, etc - and I just don’t think I have it in me for another like 20 hours of Witcher. I’ve witched. I’m done witching.

How important/good is BaW? Because I’m right on the border here. I loving loved this game but the combat got so tiresome by the end and it’s a complete loving technical mess somehow, eight years later.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

NieR Occomata posted:

I beat Witcher 3. All I have left is BaW but man, gently caress, I’m super burned out on this game. I played it for nearly 190 hours and I’ve done virtually everything one can do - all non-BaW sidequests, all optional quests, all contracts, etc - and I just don’t think I have it in me for another like 20 hours of Witcher. I’ve witched. I’m done witching.

How important/good is BaW? Because I’m right on the border here. I loving loved this game but the combat got so tiresome by the end and it’s a complete loving technical mess somehow, eight years later.

Why not just start it and go to the new area and see if it pulls you in? Also, if you’ve read the books, there’s a very good draw a little ways into the main quest.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

NieR Occomata posted:

I beat it earlier today and was in the same boat, but having started BaW, I am actually finding it quite refreshing. Part of it is the setting, which is absolutely gorgeous both in the countryside and in settlements and seems a purposeful contrast to the main game's primary pallette of muck, mire, and grime. It's also where the most absolutely busted stuff in the game can be found; Grandmaster Witcher Gear and Mutations, which I just unlocked. The game stopped being hard a good while ago but I do still enjoy seeing just how much of a superhuman killing machine Geralt can become.

Plus, you get a nice house with a cool butler. I know not everyone is into it, but I like having a house in these sorts of games and being able to deck it out and fix it up into a cozy little home. :3:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Personally I think Blood & Wine is the best part of the game, but if you're feeling burned out then that's unlikely to change just because of the more pleasant scenery and (mostly) lighter tone. I'd say start it and see if it intrigues you, and if you still feel burned out then there's no harm in stepping away for a while and jumping straight into B&W somewhere down the line.

Edit: And for sure, one of the big appeals for me is the house. Gonna build those armor and weapon display stands as fast as possible.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Blood and Wine is amazing in its own right, probably the best DLC ever. The setting is tons of fun, and the story is genuinely a great time

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

NieR Occomata posted:

The atmosphere of Blood and Wine is just lighter and more whimsical. Maybe just throw it on sword and story and dick around?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Okay I guess I’ll give BaW the old college try. It’s just like…man, it’s crazy just how much the end of Witcher 3 was so draining. It feels like it could and should’ve been paced so much better; it’s just so insane that the game goes from the battle of kaer mohren to literally 8 hours of what is essentially busywork despite often being events that are payoffs to game-long plots. Like it’s so weird that the game waits until after the battle of kaer mohren to be like “okay, now we are gonna deal with radovid, we have waited a sufficiently long amount of time to resolve this issue”. Or like, “okay now we are gonna address the sorceress’ lodge and/or Philippa Eilhart”. Like…why wait? Why did they pace out all this stuff that was super interesting when I was playing through the game but now seems like a vaguely irritating distraction from what the main thing is?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I dunno, I have no idea what you’re talking about personally. I understand very little of the criticism of the game in this thread

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
it's also fair that there is a LOT of witcher 3

but yes, B&W is very tonally different and is a love letter to the rest of the Witcher series, very self-referential and also a lot of pop cultur references

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sounds like BaW is to Witcher 3 what Citadel was to ME3. This will motivate me to carry on and finish it up if I view it like that.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

NieR Occomata posted:

Sounds like BaW is to Witcher 3 what Citadel was to ME3. This will motivate me to carry on and finish it up if I view it like that.

This is honestly a very solid comparison. Though, of course, BaW is much much larger than Citadel.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
everyone has corny French accents and it's all very bright and over-saturated colors

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

NieR Occomata posted:

yes, but also much much larger. B&W is larger than many stand alone games at the same $20 price point

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

B&W felt like desert after a meal that left you overly stuffed. I took a break before going back and playing it later, and that worked well for me. It ended up being my favorite part of the entire game by far, and maybe that's just because of the palate / mood change. But I'm glad I took a break.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

NieR Occomata posted:

Take a break. It is just more Witchering. More contracts, more witcher detectiving, more combat. The only thing that might spice up the gameplay is new mutagen enhancements that can alter combat gameplay styles. No reason to put a barrier to you and what is a good full length xpac with burnout. The game takes place some years after the events of the base game anyways when you are kinda retired either humping Triss on cold Kovir nights or slamming Yen and not waking up till noon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

NieR Occomata posted:

Okay I guess I’ll give BaW the old college try. It’s just like…man, it’s crazy just how much the end of Witcher 3 was so draining. It feels like it could and should’ve been paced so much better; it’s just so insane that the game goes from the battle of kaer mohren to literally 8 hours of what is essentially busywork despite often being events that are payoffs to game-long plots. Like it’s so weird that the game waits until after the battle of kaer mohren to be like “okay, now we are gonna deal with radovid, we have waited a sufficiently long amount of time to resolve this issue”. Or like, “okay now we are gonna address the sorceress’ lodge and/or Philippa Eilhart”. Like…why wait? Why did they pace out all this stuff that was super interesting when I was playing through the game but now seems like a vaguely irritating distraction from what the main thing is?

Yeah the problem is Kaer Morhen is your classic RPG climax, get all your allies together for a big last stand against the big bad. But in the Witcher 3, while it still has the tone of that, it's essentially only half way into the game. But because it hits everyone of those climax notes it seems like it makes people anxiously await the credits to drop for the next entire half of the game, which definitely sounds exhausting. Similar problem to Return of the King, but if the Return of the King also had like 2 more huge battle scenes.