Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

SubponticatePoster posted:

It's so weird to see a fired bullet with no deformation. I guess some jackhole fired a gun into the air, bullet hit its apex and then just terminal velocity and weight sent it through your roof like a hot knife through butter and it didn't hit anything but shingle and plywood or whatever the ceiling is made from.

Pretty close! From what I've read and half-remembered from an old Mythbusters episode, if they go up and down then it starts tumbling and hits pretty weakly, but if it is fired at an angle, it can keep spinning and keep the force. Judging by the round shape of the hole and oblong shape of my bruise, that's what happened and it smacked me sideways. If there had been attic, it probably would've stopped there. Billion to one shot!

Edit: what a :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
You're lucky to not be dead, jesus christ.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there a bullet resistant roofing material? I feel like those scalloped clay tiles would do well.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Not to distract from the bullet chat, but any idea what this is in the below pictures? I found it in a laundry room with a lot of white wire racking.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
For your hang dry/lay flat to dry stuff, assuming it all assembles into something.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Not to distract from the bullet chat, but any idea what this is in the below pictures? I found it in a laundry room with a lot of white wire racking.

I think it goes inside your dryer. Might be this: https://www.maytag.com/accessories/laundry-accessories/dryer/p.dryer-drying-rack,-white.8577312a.html

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
It looks like it goes inside the dryer. Look at the lower part of the dryer where the door seals to it, I bet you find 2 little divots it sits in.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Friend posted:

Pretty close! From what I've read and half-remembered from an old Mythbusters episode, if they go up and down then it starts tumbling and hits pretty weakly, but if it is fired at an angle, it can keep spinning and keep the force. Judging by the round shape of the hole and oblong shape of my bruise, that's what happened and it smacked me sideways. If there had been attic, it probably would've stopped there. Billion to one shot!

Pic got cross posted to TFR and we're curious if you could measure it and tell us the caliber.

But yeah I'd guess it got fired at a high angle and lost a lot of energy from going a long distance but retained stability before piercing your roof and starting to tumble just before hitting you.

I once got into an argument on twitter about the danger of a bullet going terminal velocity and we did the math on a .30 cal bullet (2-3x the weight of that if it's a .223/5.56mm) and I came to the conclusion that falling straight down at terminal velocity it'd probably hurt like hell but not kill you. So a lighter projectile almost certainly wouldn't pierce a roof at terminal velocity even if it happened to land pointing straight into the surface.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 3, 2023

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Great, thanks all.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
It goes inside to dryer to dry stuff that you don’t want to tumble.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Is the water coming from the walls around the edge of your house or straight up out of the floor?

My first house had a thankfully unfinished basement, was 120 years old, and during spring or big snow melts we'd literally have water come up from the concrete floor. Getting gutters after our first year of ownership helped tremendously there and limited the water to one corner of the house that needed to be regraded.

It's seeping out where the wall meets the floor. I've lived next to a creek that floods up to the foundation regularly for ten years, this is the first time I've had unexplained seepage. We just had a record freeze so maybe a seam opened in the concrete or something, I dunno. Houses suck.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Home Zone: Bullet Holes and Painted Moulds

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Do they make kevlar shingles?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

His Divine Shadow posted:

Do they make kevlar shingles?

Not quite the same but I found a company that makes ballistic panels for homes

https://fortifiedestate.com/

E: I ordered their 1 sqft sample

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 3, 2023

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

SpartanIvy posted:

Not quite the same but I found a company that makes ballistic panels for homes

https://fortifiedestate.com/

E: I ordered their 1 sqft sample

Fortified Estate dot com

Weird way to spell "compound"

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Hmm my sump pit inlet drains are full of orange stuff, is that supposed to happen?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

PerniciousKnid posted:

Hmm my sump pit inlet drains are full of orange stuff, is that supposed to happen?

Have a picture?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Qwijib0 posted:

Fortified Estate dot com

Weird way to spell "compound"

These types of fortified compounds are common among moneyed families outside the western world from what I understand.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

SourKraut posted:

Have a picture?

I tried to attach it and gave up, but I guess it's silt. Apparently you're supposed to clear drain tile periodically, nobody ever told me!

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

PerniciousKnid posted:

I tried to attach it and gave up, but I guess it's silt. Apparently you're supposed to clear drain tile periodically, nobody ever told me!

Double check and make sure that it is in fact silt and not iron ochre, which is slimier and stains any clothing it comes into contact with. Iron ochre can clog sump pumps and drainage lines.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
I'm currently in a rental house with an older kitchen, and having an issue.

The top cabinets here are pulling away from the wall and I'm not sure how to fix it.

There are six square head screws that seem to be what is holding it to the wall on the right. I tried taking an impact wrench to them and it didn't seem to do much. Any other ideas for securing this before I try and yell at my landlord?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Network42 posted:

I'm currently in a rental

Network42 posted:

I'm not sure how to fix it.

You don’t.

Network42 posted:

yell at my landlord?

There you go.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Seconding the advice to yell at your landlord. Your only responsibility is to the stuff that you bring into the apartment. Everything else is their business, up until they hear that you messed with it, at which point they'll try to pin all the blame (and expense of fixing it) on you.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yes I would 1000% never mention that you touched it to the landlord. And get everything that you reasonably can in writing.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

Yes I would 1000% never mention that you touched it to the landlord. And get everything that you reasonably can in writing.

And don't store anything you care about in/around it. You do have renters insurance right?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Hard to tell from the pic but is the drywall missing behind the cabinet?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

NomNomNom posted:

I thought so too but I think it's there:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

NomNomNom posted:

Might've been a different color that didn't get repainted with the rest of the room.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
So bets on if those screws missed the studs?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

NomNomNom posted:

I'm guessing there's one single screw that's been doing a fuckton of work

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

NomNomNom posted:

Plastic anchors say they're rated for 50lbs each, it'll hold!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NomNomNom posted:

That appears to be a spiral plastic anchor that pulled out. So.....100%.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Drywall anchors for the loss win

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ssb posted:

Speaking of fireplaces, how hard is it to replace the front of a wood burning fireplace? The one we have is from the 80's and ugly as sin.

All the stonework is fine, it's just the brass or whatever that is, plus I prefer a chain curtain to glass.

We had that exact same fireplace when I was a kid.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/Levijameshere/status/1610711812000956419?s=20&t=LJoZ9UcDJPwD-WHHEBJYOA

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Friend posted:

Is your roof made out of cotton candy?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Any drawbacks to slide-in style ranges?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

You get a little gap between your range and the counter on both sides that you will invariably drip pasta sauce or drop some toothpicks down.

I'm in the design phase of my kitchen remodel and would love to do a drop in induction cooktop with in-cabinet oven under it but that combo over a slide-in is 2-3x the price. I haven't really found any other negatives for the slide-in style, generally they are more affordable, easier to service, and there is more variety to choose from.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Nicer slide ins have top surfaces that extend over the gaps to the left and right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Infinotize posted:

Nicer slide ins have top surfaces that extend over the gaps to the left and right

Do you know a specific model that does this? I'm just trying to figure out what this would be called, when I search for anything with "gap" or "covers" it just gives me the aftermarket filler strip type.