Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

VideoGames posted:

Sat in bed playing the GBA version of Final Fantasy 1.
This rocks. :3:

The Year of the JRPG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have a warrior, a red mage, a white mage and a black mage. We have beaten garland, sorted out the pirates and now I am on my way to the western keep :3:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The black mage is called Rarity :science:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Black Mage is always a valid choice, in everything

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The Year of the JRPG

Been saying this

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is the anchor weapon in Elden Ring fun to play with?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

Been saying this

I ignored you at my peril :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Arzaac posted:

The basic gun absolutely sucks, but idk I kinda like that? RE2 is one of the few games I've seen that actually sells zombies as a legitimate threat; it might be a slow moving shambler, but it's just so difficult to actually kill one of the drat things.

I actually figured out late into my Claire run that it's actually faster and more efficient to DISMEMBER the zombies than it is to kill them with headshots :psyduck:

That way they're just torsos lying on the ground groaning but not actually able to do anything to get at you!

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

FirstAidKite posted:

Is the anchor weapon in Elden Ring fun to play with?

I used it for a good while before switching playstyles and had no problem with it. Was fun unleashing my inner May on fools.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

poking through the recent TAS videos uploads has revealed this absolute gem of a genesis game ending, and i'm wondering how many poor kids got traumatized for life playing this poo poo

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I've spent many years joking about how I have gaming ADHD as I often just bounce rapidly between games without finishing any of them.

Turns out no, I probably have actual ADHD, been through a few rounds of assessments now with a big one this morning, and now have a final appointment booked end of March for a final diagnosis and treatment plan.
Feeling some very mixed feelings about finding this out at age 36 and my brain is trying to cope with it by going "hey, well, maybe you'll finish more games now".

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mode 7 posted:

I've spent many years joking about how I have gaming ADHD as I often just bounce rapidly between games without finishing any of them.

Turns out no, I probably have actual ADHD, been through a few rounds of assessments now with a big one this morning, and now have a final appointment booked end of March for a final diagnosis and treatment plan.
Feeling some very mixed feelings about finding this out at age 36 and my brain is trying to cope with it by going "hey, well, maybe you'll finish more games now".

congratulations, and i hope the treatment goes smoothly

speaking as a fellow ADHDer: pay attention to the type of stimulant medication they'll likely prescribe. there's two main branches - amphetamine-based (adderall, vyvanse) and methylphenidate-based (ritalin, foquest) - that get prescribed the most frequently, with differences in both how they affect brain chemistry and how they're metabolized by the body. if you get prescribed one branch and it ain't working after the dose gets ratcheted up a few times, request to try the other and see if that one works better

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mode 7 posted:

Hello! I was a bit older than you at diagnosis. Two years later I'm still figuring out everything it means for me. It's complicated and it's okay to feel any way at all about it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I actually figured out late into my Claire run that it's actually faster and more efficient to DISMEMBER the zombies than it is to kill them with headshots :psyduck:

That way they're just torsos lying on the ground groaning but not actually able to do anything to get at you!

Sort of. Headshots don't do any extra damage to zombies compared to body shots, but their critical hit effect is to destroy the head for a guaranteed permanent kill. If you just want to knock a zombie down to get it out of your way, headshots work just fine and have a chance to make it really stick.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I backtrack a lot so I forget which I've killed and which I just put down or avoided while running past, so it's good (for me!) to know when I've put one down for good.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I had the strange sensation that I was being watched, kept feeling like something was looking at me in my peripheral vision.

Turns out I was being watched. By me. My left eye was partially reflecting back at me in my glasses. It was like someone had overlaid my vision with an almosy gossamer image of an eye gazing back at me.

Turn my glasses on?????

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FirstAidKite posted:

I had the strange sensation that I was being watched, kept feeling like something was looking at me in my peripheral vision.

Turns out I was being watched. By me. My left eye was partially reflecting back at me in my glasses. It was like someone had overlaid my vision with an almosy gossamer image of an eye gazing back at me.

Turn my glasses on?????

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ship of Harkinian is an awesome port, I was just assuming I would need to futz with it to get it to recognize my ps5 controller or to tweak this or that but it comes fully loaded with everything you'd want and more. I tweaked the controls a little bit, and then was wondering if I could easily swap controls for playing ocarina and they just had the option to switch to alt controls there automatically, dpad works perfectly for that. Also little gameplay tweaks and QOL options, goofy cosmetics and changing your tunic to whatever, built-in cheats/save editor. I haven't beaten Master Quest so the dungeons are all new to me, and I have myself the mask of truth so I could read the gossip stones as I found them rather than near the end of the game when I don't need to go anywhere anymore.

I love how well it does creating atmosphere and the feeling of this large magical world using just blurry texture walls and and lumpy objects. I will say I'm not scared of the mummies or redead anymore, they're more annoying than terrifying now. The wolfos and lizalfos fights were always fun fights to me as a kid but now that I know the terrible secret of crouchstab it's funny how fast they die.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

my 2023 so far:

1. monster hunter world
2. xivsim.com, which is a browser simulator for savage raid mechanics in FF14 and what our raid night was spent in instead of the actual video game

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I've been playing River City Girls 2 (off the cuff assessment: better than the first game, still flawed) and Walkabout Minigolf VR, the best VR game ever made.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What's a good browser based tower defense game?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/7dHAIgl.mp4

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Bubs Starbeam

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

conversely watch some play throughs of prime 1 and 2 the other day and you could really tell how muc hthey'd benefit from some modern hardware and graphic tech. they made do but you can tell their vision exceeded what the contemporary hardware could muster.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Khanstant posted:

conversely watch some play throughs of prime 1 and 2 the other day and you could really tell how muc hthey'd benefit from some modern hardware and graphic tech. they made do but you can tell their vision exceeded what the contemporary hardware could muster.

Incredible games though, drat.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

How did Metroid Prime 4 turn out? I remember people were really excited for it but I guess it must've been a dud

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ever since learning last month that we could have had a metroid xcom-inspired spinoff I've been yearning for what could have been

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

FirstAidKite posted:

Ever since learning last month that we could have had a metroid xcom-inspired spinoff I've been yearning for what could have been

What??

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FirstAidKite posted:

I would like to know more

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I would like to know more

37 seconds into this vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ8xa4drduQ&t=37s

Metroid Tactics, a Retro Studios game aimed at the wii. It was pitched as a prequel to the entire series about Samus first starting her bounty hunting gig by teaming up with the federation and other bounty hunters to fight off space pirates. The player would be handling grid-based combat using their loadout of soldiers and bounty hunters and managing their base by recruiting/outfitting generic soldiers and unique bounty hunters as well as selling off any space pirate loot from battles. You would have played as Galactic Federation Commander Justin Bailey.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Khanstant posted:

When Samus' visor is affected by interference, they wanted a static effect, but they didn't have enough space for a full screen texture and if they had done a lower resolution one it would have been all blurry, so what they did was they just rendered the actual code of the game and used the machine code as a static noise texture.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve never played the Metroid Prime games but I got PrimeHack working on the Deck so they are on the list for this year!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Star MMO
https://twitter.com/jgerighty/status/1609657216868487169

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aren’t they meant to be doing that Avatar game

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Robot go nyoom.

The high level PvP games I've seen footage of are like the best Dragon Ball Z game ever made.

Got some examples of this?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

my medium hot take for the day: vampire survivors is a significant bellwether for the game industry - but not for games, for gamers

specifically, dopamine poisoning across gaming and social media has become so normalized that an entire game (and now, genre) built around slot machine psychology was destined for widespread success

number go up? player happy

flashing lights go boom? player happy

unlocks and achievements galore? player happy

my opinion on this is almost entirely divorced from the game itself (which is decent) or the genre gold rush (some of which are decent)

it's more just bemusement at how these types of mechanics aren't just encouraged or embraced, they're actively demanded by players, who will complain if a game doesn't have enough grind and isn't repayable for infinity hours

I suppose the success of auto battlers and idle games was sort of a hint at this already, and VS' ability to run on a toaster and an incredibly low cost both helped to grease the tracks

looking forward to Ubisoft or Actibliz's open world AAA clone with loot crates, a battle pass and a cosmetic shop. maybe some nfts.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you think that's bad, wait til you hear about this thing called a "high score"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
half of survivors’ appeal was its incredibly low price and steady content rollout, the usual AAA cruft would only detract from the concept. the big players will probably try to take their own shot at it but I don’t think it’ll mark a sea change or anything

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think Elden Ring and Vampire Survivors being two of the biggest games of 2022 shows that there’s a lot of different styles out there and a lot of different people who can enjoy lots of things. I played an absolute ton of Vampire Survivors but that doesn’t mean I want every game to be a dopamine button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think a lot of people just struggle with the idea of others deriving natural pleasure from repetition and optimization and thus have to see this as some sort of industry wide mind control instead of something that has been around in video games from the very beginning. Making a number go higher than it was before is good, I shouldn't have to explain why this is awesome, it's a shame that many companies employ it to predatory extremes but that's not my problem!