Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Dark Web - X-Men #2

Forge is so done with this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

TwoPair posted:

Dark Web - X-Men #2

Forge is so done with this poo poo

lol, that's great

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think you can call war crime beast out of character, it’s how he’s been written for 30 years at this point

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

at this point i'm starting to doubt if he was ever actually written the way people remember him being in the comics and instead people are just thinking of the X-Men 92 cartoon

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Age of Apocalypse Beast was the truest Beast all along. And much later Morrison introduced The Sublime, which was basically super evil Beast. Maybe the character is simply more appealing as a monstrous rear end in a top hat, or the writers wouldn't continue to use his fuckups as plot movers.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

posting nextwave in this thread feels like cheating but still

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

davidspackage posted:

lol, that's great

I know, mustard on a hot dog like a proper person!

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

arsenicCatnip posted:

posting nextwave in this thread feels like cheating but still

The odds of this thread not containing a complete scan of Nextwave just a function of time decreasing toward zero.

(Always post Nextwave)

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 2, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Selachian posted:

This stuff is all kind of depressing since I grew up with the wacky, fun, "oh my stars and garters" Beast. I'm not really sure what the writers thought they were gaining by turning him into a shittier Reed Richards.

The super biz is like that, you know

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Slashrat posted:

The odds of this thread not containing a complete scan of Nextwave just a function of time decreasing toward zero.

(Always post Nextwave)

Very true. I shall instead post from comic runs I love but I hear nobody else ever talk about, like

Foolkiller (2016)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Endless Mike posted:

It wasn't even a "science experiment." He was just being an rear end in a top hat to his ex and tried to justify it after the fact.

He looks like sonic in that top one

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Captain Atom #78 (1965)

Fantastic Four #127 (1972)

arsenicCatnip posted:

Very true. I shall instead post from comic runs I love but I hear nobody else ever talk about, like

Foolkiller (2016)

What a coincidence!

Foolkiller #1 (2017)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Alaois posted:

at this point i'm starting to doubt if he was ever actually written the way people remember him being in the comics and instead people are just thinking of the X-Men 92 cartoon

When he was an Avenger he was just a techie smartass

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Avengers #200

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Wait, isn't Avengers 200 the one where Carol gives birth to her own rapist?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
That's the one.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
eventful issue overall, then

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
When you gently caress up the sexual politics of a comic so bad you call in Chris Claremont to fix it, you've done hosed up.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

DC Special Series #6 (1977)

Adam Strange Future Quest #1 (2017)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the return of big gay logan

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Skwirl posted:

When you gently caress up the sexual politics of a comic so bad you call in Chris Claremont to fix it, you've done hosed up.

They didn’t call Chris in he was just a fan who had written Ms Marvel comics before and was horrified at what they did to her

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Mind control rape is one thing, but 'incestuous mind control rape'!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

"this is disgusting! She doesn't even have any tenticles!"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

There has never been any rape in those issues y’all are weird

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Darthemed posted:

DC Special Series #6 (1977)

Reminder: This doesn't work if you're not Batman.

http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/9p16/

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Claremont was horny but, most of the time, in a far more respectful way than the non-horny generic chauvinism of many of his contemporaries. He was on Ms. Marvel for years before he was on X-Men and is the writer responsible for most of the lodestones of her modern characterisation. And, as evidenced from the fact that he loathed Avengers #200 and went out of his way to address it, he was one of the few writers at Marvel in that era who had the level of social literacy necessary to understand that stories glorifying the sexual violation of women were a problem to begin with.

Like, yeah, Claremont's Uncanny can be horny and paraphilic, but a) he hits male characters with the horny stick too and b) the female characters have so much more agency than the vast majority of their comic book peers that it's preferable to the limp sexism of many of the books being published at the same time. Claremont was writing Storm and Kitty Pryde while many other books were writing their female superheroes strictly as flat, ineffectual love interests.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Claremont is known to have a thing for dominant, strong women (also clear indicators of him being familiar with the kinkier club scene of the time), which led to some real fetishistic stuff but also female characters with significantly more agency and independence than others during that era. He did also just write women as people, which was more than could be said of some other writers at the time. I'd read Claremont's female characters over, say, Marv Wolfman's. Nothing wrong with having kinks, nothing necessarily wrong with writing while slightly horny. Claremont was just a little bit obvious at times.

Some of his works have aged like milk and he's cranky old man nowadays, but he was still an overall positive influence on the mainstream superhero comics scene in many ways.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Suleman posted:

Claremont is known to have a thing for dominant, strong women (also clear indicators of him being familiar with the kinkier club scene of the time), which led to some real fetishistic stuff but also female characters with significantly more agency and independence than others during that era. He did also just write women as people, which was more than could be said of some other writers at the time. I'd read Claremont's female characters over, say, Marv Wolfman's. Nothing wrong with having kinks, nothing necessarily wrong with writing while slightly horny. Claremont was just a little bit obvious at times.

Some of his works have aged like milk and he's cranky old man nowadays, but he was still an overall positive influence on the mainstream superhero comics scene in many ways.

When I was a kid, the local rags were publishing Byrne Fantastic Four and Claremont-Byrne-Austin X-Men so I grew up thinking it was perfectly normal for children's entertainment to be about 70% shiny tits and arse.

I mean sure I had already been exposed to Natacha but she wasn't as shiny. e: Oh and Paulette.

e: I just GISed the Natacha-creator and he looks exactly like one would imagine the author of a good girl comic to look (e: not judging):

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 4, 2023

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Dude looks like he was drawn by Uderzo.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Defenders #70 (1979)

PunisherMax #6 (2010)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

"...hey wait if Castle is aging in real time shouldn't you be dea-" and then Kingpin keels over from about five heartattacks at once.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Darthemed posted:

PunisherMax #6 (2010)

To be fair, one of Kingpin's superpowers is gently caress You Money.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Darthemed posted:

PunisherMax #6 (2010)

That is a clarification whose necessity tells a story.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So this is Jason Aaron's follow up Punisher Max series. It's confusing out of context, because his writing is close enough to Ennis and it's Dillon art, but it doesn't follow the central conceit of the Ennis series where Frank is a Vietnam vet aged in real time to the mid 2000s. It's a decent series with a kinda new take on the Kingpin.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Bruceski posted:

That is a clarification whose necessity tells a story.

Bullseye is a really weird dude

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

site posted:

Bullseye is a really weird dude

Max Bullseye in particular is absolute bugnuts and probably does need the clarification

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I feel betrayed every time Bullseye isn't given a big, dirty Irish accent.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So, remember when Emma Frost looked in Cap's mind at the Gala and was horrified that she reminded him of his mother?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Dareon posted:

So, remember when Emma Frost looked in Cap's mind at the Gala and was horrified that she reminded him of his mother?

I thought the blonde in these panels was supposwd to be Emma and was really confused by the lack of cleavage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

I thought the blonde in these panels was supposwd to be Emma and was really confused by the lack of cleavage.

No that's Sharon Carter, the hot blonde who Steve does want to hook up with