Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

E Depois do Adeus posted:

NFL players have chest protectors, right? How long does it take to access a player's chest to do CPR/ apply an AED or leads?

They tie/fasten together at the sternum. They can be cut easily to get to the chest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

E Depois do Adeus posted:

NFL players have chest protectors, right? How long does it take to access a player's chest to do CPR/ apply an AED or leads?

they wear shoulder pads, unless you have fractured ribs you don't wear anything to protect your chest specifically

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Strobe posted:

This is literally what CPR is supposed to do, and why you keep doing it for 5/10/15/30 minutes until you get the person to somewhere that can take over.

Oddly enough, CPR training no longer calls for rescue breaths. It's compression-only now. But that's training for non professionals, and I'm assuming the professionals quickly started him on manual breathing plus oxygen. However, the period of assessment, AED application, and AED shock was probably without breaths/oxygen.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

fartknocker posted:

Yes, he's forgiven :jerkbag:

gently caress that guy and I hope ESPN fires him tonight

he isn't a real person it's a fake account

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

i hope everyone here is doing okay tonight

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

fartknocker posted:

Yes, he's forgiven :jerkbag:

gently caress that guy and I hope ESPN fires him tonight
he doesn't work for ESPN, it's a fake account

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Spaced God posted:

between this and ken block dying it's been a fuckin weird one

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Schefter just mentioned this on ESPN. It's over $900K now.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Donate. Now up to 905k.

https://gofund.me/01e78364

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Malloc Voidstar posted:

he doesn't work for ESPN, it's a fake account

Then can Jesus fire him?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

fartknocker posted:

Schefter just mentioned this on ESPN. It's over $900K now.

OVER $900K?!?!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

JAMOOOL posted:

really thought the first time there was a life-or-death situation on the NFL field it would be on a much more vicious hit than that. would not be surprised to see some more shocking player retirements in the next couple years.

A player named Chuck Hughes died of an on-field heart attack in 1971. After that, the NFL made sure to always have an ambulance and paramedics ready at the games. If Hamlin pulls through, it'll be because he was able to get prompt CPR.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Sorry you didn't read my tweets right

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Spaced God posted:

thank you. in times like this I always say "look for the helpers" and here you are, I appreciate it in this trying time

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

indigi posted:

they wear shoulder pads, unless you have fractured ribs you don't wear anything to protect your chest specifically

shoulderpads nearly always encompass pads for the front of the chest

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Dango Bango posted:

OVER $900K?!?!

Thankfully humanity still has the capacity for goodness.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Guys are still at the stadium. I have to wonder if they've just yet to cancel things.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

FistEnergy posted:

Oddly enough, CPR training no longer calls for rescue breaths. It's compression-only now. But that's training for non professionals, and I'm assuming the professionals quickly started him on manual breathing plus oxygen. However, the period of assessment, AED application, and AED shock was probably without breaths/oxygen.

You are supposed to do 2 minutes of CPR before AED. Granted, my First Responder license expired 4 years ago...

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

shoulderpads nearly always encompass pads for the front of the chest

Wow cool. Didn’t know that

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Just tossed some $ this way too.

https://gofund.me/2bcf043e reposting the link for anyone else interested

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

gently caress

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ain't nobody here named Christ, rear end in a top hat.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

kidcoelacanth posted:

between this and ken block dying it's been a fuckin weird one

I did not know that, wow. Tonight kinda sucks.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Man all those Bills players definitely saw some poo poo surrounding him. Get them to their families ASAP by any means. What a hosed up night.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

FistEnergy posted:

Yeah, bystander CPR now emphasizes chest compressions as recent evidence has shown that outside an airway and ambubag you ate likely giving ineffective breaths and it’s better to get SOME oxygen circulating rather than none.

If the CPR was good, there was probably minimal time lost between compressions and using the AED.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

everyone keep yelling at that fake twitter account who can't see your posts

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Jesus Christ, anyone else really shaken up by this? I don't even play sports recreationally but I ended up calling my parents just to tell them how much I value them.

My Dad compared it to the Challenger explosion.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Tomorrow is the 15th anniversary of my friend dying from cardiac arrest in front of me at work at age 23. I'll never forget the way he fell to the floor or watching coworkers perform CPR on him. Even before I got the news that he didn't make it I couldn't function. I'm glad the coaches and players stepped up and said no to continuing to play.

I hope Damar pulls through and that everyone involved can get help with the emotional trauma they've just experienced.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

acidx posted:

I did not know that, wow. Tonight kinda sucks.

it was announced within the same half hour

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jesus, the shot of the bills players crying is gutting.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Diggs is at the hospital

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

gently caress it, I'm in for a few dollars. Almost to a million.

Is anyone on twitter real anymore?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Jesus, the shot of the bills players crying is gutting.

Definitely lost it at that as well

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I’m television detective Ben Baby.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Narcissus1916 posted:

Jesus Christ, anyone else really shaken up by this? I don't even play sports recreationally but I ended up calling my parents just to tell them how much I value them.

Yep. The way it all went down was so unspectacular and so disturbing that I don't feel like I'm going to sleep at all tonight.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

FistEnergy posted:

He was almost certainly getting oxygen and bagged within seconds of the ambulance being on the field.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

Yeah, I'm real glad I work from home tomorrow. Jesus.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

sharknado slashfic posted:

gently caress it, I'm in for a few dollars. Almost to a million.

No one real should be on twitter anymore. just let it fade away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

sharknado slashfic posted:

Twitter people are especially not-real