Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SirPablo posted:

Reminds me of an event that happened in Minnesota - 14 year old Patrick Schoonover just collapsed on the ice during a hockey game, dead.

https://twitter.com/playforpatrick?lang=en

Mooseontheloose posted:

I remember in the late 90s or early 2000s somethign similar in the boston area, kid got checked at the wrong time and collapsed on the ice.

Boston posters / olds may remember Reggie Lewis, too. Celtics player who died on the court during practice of sudden heart failure.

bucksmash posted:

Fair enough. From the perspective of someone who has never seen something like this, the dawning realization that I may have seen someone die in real time made my stomach lurch a bit.

I am extremely grateful that I happened to step out of the room for 5 minutes like 10 seconds before the hit happened. Walked back in to an ambulance on the field and the most human emotion I have ever heard out of Buck :smith:

Fate Accomplice posted:

drat, GFM errored twice but went through the third time, and now I get email receipts for all three donations.

works for me, donated 3x my planned amount, feels OK.

Some dude in another discord I'm on claims to work for GoFundMe and says they are getting annihilated by traffic tonight because of this, had to page people to respond to the demand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

whos that broooown posted:

Please don't post Charlie Kirk in this thread, tia

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

TheKevman posted:

In happier news, according to my projections, Damar Hamlin's Go Fund Me will reach 10 million in the next few hours.

E: currently 1.2M

It's possible now that SVP just featured it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

fsif posted:

And a bit odd. Why would Mike Brown be there?

The owners all know each other. Mike is known for having friendly relationships with the players and it wouldn't surprise me if Terry was the same way.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I have no idea what all the playoff qualifying scenarios are, but the only way I could see the NFL allowing that is if there wasn't a bubble team that wouldn't be hurt by a Buffalo/Cincy tie.

The Bills also have to play the Pats next week to and its a win and in scenario and I am sure the Bills players might not be up to it considering what may happen. Do you just say, gently caress the last week the standings are what they are?

Is there a real solution here? Like have the Pats play the Dolphins again? Allow for an 8 seed this one time?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Docjowles posted:

Boston posters / olds may remember Reggie Lewis, too. Celtics player who died on the court during practice of sudden heart failure.

Remembering hearing he died on WBZ and my family told me to notice that they kept saying they are waiting for the family before they give an update, which meant nothing good.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Docjowles posted:

Korey Stringer died in training camp of heat exhaustion. Teddy Bridgewater's knee nearly came off during a routine practice.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/espn/status/1610138872935059456

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1610138378380673024

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

xarph posted:

Damar Hamlin has to live now because he has to wake up to learn that his little toy drive, that he was hoping to reach $2500, has raised a million.

thats gonna make a poo poo ton of difference for a lot of sto-rox kids

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Feel like Clark and SVP deserve a daytime emmy for the last few hours.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Mooseontheloose posted:

The Bills also have to play the Pats next week to and its a win and in scenario and I am sure the Bills players might not be up to it considering what may happen. Do you just say, gently caress the last week the standings are what they are?

Is there a real solution here? Like have the Pats play the Dolphins again? Allow for an 8 seed this one time?

i mean...yea, i don't have a good solution for this. no one does. what i know is it is not reasonable to have the bills or bengals play in five days. that's got to be the one criterion they have to make sure of.

go from there and figure out what works.

maybe the entire nfl takes the week off next week and pushes everything out a week? super bowl still happens at its normal time, but there's no longer the week gap before it?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1610140522890289158

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

abelwingnut posted:

i mean...yea, i don't have a good solution for this. no one does. what i know is it is not reasonable to have the bills or bengals play in five days. that's got to be the one criterion they have to make sure of.

go from there and figure out what works.

maybe the entire nfl takes the week off next week and pushes everything out a week? super bowl still happens at its normal time, but there's no longer the week gap before it?

Honestly, just shooting from the hip and not thinking things through really, but due to the severity of this injury and this being a first, I think this makes really good sense. An added bye of sorts.

"Logistics" and such, but man...unenviable spot, to be sure.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Probably about the status of the game or lack there of.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

They should just play the game on line wednesday and flex both teams into an MNF double header or something. Either that or these two teams both effectively take a tie. You can't skip a week of football. or push back a playoff schedule.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
They aren't going to announce anything serious over the phone.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Mooseontheloose posted:

I have no idea. I'm just glad I'm not the one I charge of sorting it all out.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Just call it tie

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

BlindSite posted:

They should just play the game on line wednesday and flex both teams into an MNF double header or something. Either that or these two teams both effectively take a tie. You can't skip a week of football. or push back a playoff schedule.

Play Wednesday, Play Next Tuesday, Playoff games for them on Monday

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

BlindSite posted:

You're probably right but the human in me says that a lot of players who, up until this point maybe hadn't really seen an injury that actually questioned mortality, might be having second thoughts about suiting up.

We see concussions and stuff multiple times every weekend and it's gross how we've normalized them as just part of the game, like an ankle sprain, but this was far, far different.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
You can calculate standings short a game and avoid any of this. depending on the week 18 result the Bengals would have a .75 or .69 win percentage and the Bills would have either a .82 or .75 win percentage. You can calculate their ownership of a particular seed or place in division against the win percentage of their opponent. Anyone who claims this would be some sort of competitive advantage should be fired into the sun.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

TheKevman posted:

You're probably right but the human in me says that a lot of players who, up until this point maybe hadn't really seen an injury that actually questioned mortality, might be having second thoughts about suiting up.

We see concussions and stuff multiple times every weekend and it's gross how we've normalized them as just part of the game, like an ankle sprain, but this was far, far different.

I'm not denying that this situation is different and I'm not trying to handwave what Hamlin is going through - by any means, but the league doesn't and won't just stop. I'm not talking about whats right or what I would do. I'm just talking about what the league may do.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
AFCN title being possibly decided by this game makes it pretty weird to just not play honestly don't know what nfl should do

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

Hopefully whatever the league decides, they let Skip know first because this is really, really serious stuff, and I need to know what he thinks about it.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

BlindSite posted:

I'm not denying that this situation is different and I'm not trying to handwave what Hamlin is going through - by any means, but the league doesn't and won't just stop. I'm not talking about whats right or what I would do. I'm just talking about what the league may do.

Yea I totally get that and you're right. The machine keeps rolling.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

nfl call is happening now.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

$1.45m for the GFM! Dang!

It doubled since I donated! Crazy!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The reason we don't know what's going to happen to this game yet is probably because the league needs to consult with the Bills/Bengals but also with the NFLPA and likely all other 30 teams in the league because this will set a precedent. it might be sometime before we get a full statement.

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1610142123558412290?s=20&t=XKp9U3oIJZR4J-4FJDBvQg well that doesn't sound too good

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

TheKevman posted:

$1.45m for the GFM! Dang!

It doubled since I donated! Crazy!

So apparently that toy drive was from 2020. Wonder what happens here.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The hospital said they're not releasing any info and the family is probably focused on one thing only. Its not good new but it's not bad either. it's just no news.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I imagine the only people who actually know anything are the hospital and they said they aren't saying anything else tonight

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

wandler20 posted:

So apparently that toy drive was from 2020. Wonder what happens here.

Underprivileged and underserved kids get toys, in one way or another.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
It's all Calvinball at this point. There's a lot of options to be had, the NFL just need to go forward with something. Off the top of my head, with one week left after this then playoffs, here's what I got:

Option 1: The two teams are told to play tomorrow, then go on with week 18 as planned. This can only really happen if there's spectacularly good news, and even then it's dubious at best. I don't think the NFL is going to do this at all, but if they're really tone-deaf about the situation, they could try.

Option 2: Cancel this game, have the teams go in for next week and go off win percentages.

Option 3: Declare a tie for this game.

Option 4: Coin flip this game.

Option 5: Push everything back a week.

Option 6: Cancel week 18 entirely, play this game next weekend or do one of the above to finish the regular season, go into the playoffs as normal. I don't think other teams will go for this, but it's probably the best option, really. It'd even garner a lot more goodwill than just trying to force everything to happen on their schedule and going on as if nothing happened.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Twice in recent memory the NHL has had players have heart attacks and collapse on the bench. Once in 2005 for Jiri Fischer (which led to defibrillators at all arenas) and once in 2014 with Rich Peverley. Both player survived.

Both games were suspended and completed at a later date. Both teams played their next games (2 and 3 days later).

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
CNN and msnbc just showing the footage including the collapse over and over and over. Ghoulish.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

aperion posted:

Option 3: Declare a tie for this game.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

aperion posted:

Option 6: Cancel week 18 entirely, play this game next weekend or do one of the above to finish the regular season, go into the playoffs as normal. I don't think other teams will go for this, but it's probably the best option, really. It'd even garner a lot more goodwill than just trying to force everything to happen on their schedule and going on as if nothing happened.

There is a negative chance of the 16 owners with home games being willing to cancel and refund those tickets. Let alone the givebacks to advertisers in both stadiums and from television.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I wouldn't read anything into the hospital not releasing an update. Even in a best-case scenario, Hamlin won't be conscious until tomorrow morning. Then he'll have weeks of close medical supervision to determine if his heart, brain, and other vital organs are damaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

Just do HORSE with the field goal kickers winner get the W.