Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

There is a negative chance of the 16 owners with home game being willing to cancel and refund those tickets.

yeah, i know. I felt kind of dumb for even floating it even if it's a good idea in my head. I'm also tired and not getting any sleep tonight after all this so it's probably incredibly stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
This game is missing from the playoff generator...

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

TheKevman posted:

Just do HORSE with the field goal kickers winner get the W.

This but the coaches kick

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
I feel like calling a tie is the most reasonable move.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
ryan clark is such a goddamn professional

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Burrow vs. Allen in that Dr. Pepper scholarship game.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

pyrotek posted:

Burrow vs. Allen in that Dr. Pepper scholarship game.

It's a tie! They both win!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
If you call it a tie it does give the division to BAL. That'd be incredibly generous and classy of CIN.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Ghoulish

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Let the record show that the Bengals were kicking the poo poo out of the Bills before all this happened

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

aperion posted:

yeah, i know. I felt kind of dumb for even floating it even if it's a good idea in my head. I'm also tired and not getting any sleep tonight after all this so it's probably incredibly stupid.

Cancel this week, move this game to next Sunday and then play all the rest of the games a week from Thursday? Push the SB to President's day weekend which is what the NFL wants anyways.

OR go top 10 in each Conference, go loving wild.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/JoeBuscaglia/status/1610144895972380672

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The NFL won't announce anything until they know what the prognosis is, at least in the short term. The NFL is gonna be on maximum PR tour tomorrow morning and they won't want a game played the day before a funeral impacting that. If he's fine, they can pretend like nothing happened and applaud the on field team etc etc.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Feel like Clark and SVP deserve a daytime emmy for the last few hours.

I cannot get over how amazing Clark's commentary is. How did they just immediately get this guy out of nowhere and he's spitting the realest poo poo I've ever heard

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TheKevman posted:

Underprivileged and underserved kids get toys, in one way or another.

A new drive might be required, there’s a date on that gofundme and “100%” go to purchasing toys. I suspect this daycare does not have the capability of handling that much of a windfall.

Tiny nonprofits/charities asking for like $1000 and getting $1mil can actually be a surprisingly large problem for them.

I’d wait for the family to communicate something.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

I'm sure the broadcast made that poo poo up and the players went out to warm up because... They were bored?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

You can't just move entire weeks of football and the playoffs this late. Logistically and for the venues alone you can't really do it. It's either a tie or a make up game / schedule the least possible number of games to take place a day or two later / earlier.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Well vibrations hit peoples ear drums that were interpreted by our brains as exactly that being said.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Docjowles posted:

I cannot get over how amazing Clark's commentary is. How did they just immediately get this guy out of nowhere and he's spitting the realest poo poo I've ever heard

ryan clark has been on espn for years doing nfl breakdowns

e: he was in the building because he does post-mnf stuff with SVP sportscenter after the game and has also done this for years

graph fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 3, 2023

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheKevman posted:

Mostly Suzy Kolber with her eulogy-esque cut ins from commercial breaks.

At least 2 times I thought she was breaking the fact that he had died.

She and Booger seemed especially shook.

I have to say, that for the most part I'm OK with how ESPN is handling this. I know it seems like it's just going on and on and on, but remember we've been watching since that horrible poo poo happened. There are plenty of people who are just hearing about it now, so they're going to keep going over what happened and what is known.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The NFL will go on like nothing happened and will take the easiest path to that. Games (outside of tonights) will not be cancelled, and they will not move playoff games either. At most the Bills and Bengals scheds will get rearranged but the NFL won't want this story continuing beyond week 18 cause optics. They're ghouls, and nothing will change that.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Docjowles posted:

He’s been with ESPN since he retired in 2015, and was often the guy they had with SVP after MNF to talk about the game on SportsCenter, along with their other NFL stuff. It’s kind of a crazy coincidence that he’s arguably the best ex-NFL player in the media to be on hand to talk about a life and death situation like this.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I wonder if it was something like the refs stating the rules with the intention of just getting a firm “hell no” they could forward to the league office.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

I wonder if it was something like the refs stating the rules with the intention of just getting a firm “hell no” they could forward to the league office.

this is what i'm thinking. the refs were just going by the book and had no talks with new york, who, per vincent, hadn't talked about it.

both can be right.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm sure the broadcast made that poo poo up and the players went out to warm up because... They were bored?

I think "bored" is not really right word. I'd say more keyed up with anxiety and uncertainty. They're already amped up from the game and then this terrible, awful thing is playing out in front of them. I'm a lot of that was just moving around to burn off energy and distract themselves.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Pretty easy to believe that five minutes came from the refs because that's what they'd usually do for a long injury break, no?

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The NFL will go on like nothing happened and will take the easiest path to that. Games (outside of tonights) will not be cancelled, and they will not move playoff games either. At most the Bills and Bengals scheds will get rearranged but the NFL won't want this story continuing beyond week 18 cause optics. They're ghouls, and nothing will change that.

Yeah, it's very much this. I'm sure they'll give players the option to sit out if necessary, but this game has to get played in some compacity unless both teams are willing to declare a tie.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-chasing-ms-foundation-community-toy-drive

Up to $1.7m now!
EDIT: $1.8m, holy poo poo
EDIT 2: $1.9m!

Lifespan fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 3, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah I think the ESPN coverage has been really solid. Kolber’s cut ins scared me but I can’t even begin to say that’s her fault, it’s just a weird circumstance.

I never knew Ryan Clark but he rules.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Let the record show that the Bengals were kicking the poo poo out of the Bills before all this happened

Hey man shut the gently caress up with this?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Its' not that crazy. The refs say you get a five minute break before the game resumes. Coaches ask to get the team into the locker room, some players ask to just stay warm and keep moving and deal with poo poo in their own way. Situation changes and the coaches decide its best if the game doesn't continue.

It's perfectly reasonable ..

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ok my bad I obviously do not watch much ESPN. Regardless, Clark is crushing it tonight

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 3, 2023

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Hey man shut the gently caress up with this?

????

Don We Now
Apr 18, 2005

For those of you who don't habla espanola, "El Poptart" is Spanish for.... The Poptart.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

They were killing em!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've been posting in TFF for a decade now and I've never seen this place so shaken.

gently caress man. I'm still in shock.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Don We Now posted:

They were killing em!

come on man

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Don We Now posted:

They were killing em!

BOOOOOOOOO!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I think the bare minimum level of respect even for this dumb website would be "Maybe the start of the game they played doesn't matter in the larger scheme of this situation?"

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

aperion posted:

Option 6: Cancel week 18 entirely, play this game next weekend or do one of the above to finish the regular season, go into the playoffs as normal. I don't think other teams will go for this, but it's probably the best option, really. It'd even garner a lot more goodwill than just trying to force everything to happen on their schedule and going on as if nothing happened.

I don't see a scenario where the ONLY teams that have to play are the Bills and Bengals

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I think the bare minimum level of respect even for this dumb website would be "Maybe the start of the game they played doesn't matter in the larger scheme of this situation?"

For what it's worth, when something similar has happened in hockey, the game was started from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

For what it's worth, when something similar has happened in hockey, the game was started from the beginning.

My point is less like, the circumstances at all. I don't care if the Bills have to forfeit (as a Bills fan.) My point is that it just feels gross for that to be part of the conversation. Maybe I'm just being aggro because of the emotion of the situation, sorry.