Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

For what it's worth, when something similar has happened in hockey, the game was started from the beginning.

Sort of. Detroit was still down 1-0 even though they played the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Any updates on health will come from family, team, or Hamlin's agent. Hospital cannot give out any medical information because it directly will get them in trouble with the feds. Him being intubated and sedated is standard and if he's stable that's good. poo poo is absolutely wild

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Kvantum posted:

Has sports ever had a day like this, ever?

In terms of multiple disasters, maybe not. But in terms of traumatic impact, yeah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Gathers#Heart_condition_and_death

The footage of it is awful, similar to tonight except you can see Gathers' face since it's basketball and back then they ran that poo poo over and over.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-chasing-ms-foundation-community-toy-drive

$2.34m. It will definitely hit 1000x the goal tonight. Faith restored in sports fans.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Bills sideline reporter giving some debriefs
https://twitter.com/SalSports/status/1610150401218600960

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The NFL, NHL, and MLB have each had one player die from an injury or heart attack during a game. Each league changed their policies to prevent it from happening again.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Jeez, that was rough sporting news to wake up to. Reminded me immediately of Christian Eriksen's collapse on the pitch in 2021 soccer Euros, followed by CPR and transport to hospital. UEFA being UEFA the game was continued after a while - NFLPA / NFL fortunately seem to have more sense.

Hopefully Hamlin gets better. With Eriksen the situation was dramatic, but year and a half later he's still playing professional ball.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Chamale posted:

The NFL, NHL, and MLB have each had one player die from an injury or heart attack during a game. Each league changed their policies to prevent it from happening again.

I am all for this but what do you actually change to stop this? It appears to be an absolute freak accident unless the dude had a known heart condition or something.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Holy poo poo, $2.56m! 1000x the goal. So loving awesome. https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-chasing-ms-foundation-community-toy-drive

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Docjowles posted:

I am all for this but what do you actually change to stop this? It appears to be an absolute freak accident unless the dude had a known heart condition or something.

After Chuck Hughes' heart attack, the NFL ensured that every game would have paramedics and an ambulance next to the field, and that policy may have saved Hamlin's life. I think there's nothing they could change in the rules of the game to prevent this, other than changing it to flag football.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Chamale posted:

After Chuck Hughes' heart attack, the NFL ensured that every game would have paramedics and an ambulance next to the field, and that policy may have saved Hamlin's life. I think there's nothing they could change in the rules of the game to prevent this, other than changing it to flag football.

Sad but true. Maybe an improvement to chest guards, but I doubt there will be any big changes.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Chamale posted:

If it is what has been speculated (cardiac arrest caused by blunt force applied at a very specific time of the cardiac rythym), maybe there could be some kind of redesign of the shoulder/chest pads to help spread the force out more so less is applied to the heart?

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

It's catching loving fire. In the span of you posting this til me writing this it jumped to almost 2.7m

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight. Seeing Hamlin go limp and drop like a sack of rocks brought back the vivid memories of my three-day-old, after getting his first exam at the pediatrician, going limp in my arms because being placed on a cold scale in a cold room triggered something. Thank god we were *at* the pediatrician and they brought him back but I'm just so loving.... thousand yard staring right now.

Its heartening to see the GoFundMe up over 1000% now: https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-chasing-ms-foundation-community-toy-drive

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Griselda, do your job

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

In terms of multiple disasters, maybe not. But in terms of traumatic impact, yeah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Gathers#Heart_condition_and_death

The footage of it is awful, similar to tonight except you can see Gathers' face since it's basketball and back then they ran that poo poo over and over.

I was trying so hard to remember who this was. All I could remember was that it was a college basketball player and it happened so long ago that it was where I learned what "collapsed" meant because I was that young.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Who needs to sleep when you can doom scroll about football.

Happy the charity is doing well and hope they can find something good to do with the money.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

fartknocker posted:

He’s been with ESPN since he retired in 2015, and was often the guy they had with SVP after MNF to talk about the game on SportsCenter, along with their other NFL stuff. It’s kind of a crazy coincidence that he’s arguably the best ex-NFL player in the media to be on hand to talk about a life and death situation like this.

Since I didn't see it posted elsewhere, for those who don't know:

Wikipedia posted:

During a 2007 game against the Denver Broncos at Invesco Field at Mile High, Clark developed severe pain in his left side and had to be rushed to the hospital. It turned out that Clark had suffered a splenic infarction due to the sickle cell trait from which he has suffered since he was a child; these are usually a risk at high altitudes. Clark had to have his spleen and gall bladder removed, ending his season. He lost 30 pounds after the removal, but returned to the Steelers in 2008. Although Clark was medically cleared to play in Denver's thin air without any complications, the Steelers took the precautionary measure of deactivating him for the four games played in Denver thereafter during Clark's career with the team—a 2009 Monday Night game, a 2010 preseason game, a 2011 playoff game and the 2012 season opener.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
https://twitter.com/BuffaloBills/status/1610166228559052801

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

God drat, what a weird night. I was expecting to be in the post mnf thread hyped about a Burrow vs Allen shootout not dealing with strange, complex emotions over the status of a 24 year old guy who nearly died on a football field.

Hope everyone itt is doing alright. That sounds kinda goofy to say since we’re just goons shitposting about football, but yeah. If you feel uncomfortable, upset, angry whatever that’s normal. Feel it. It’s kind of corny or some would say unfortunate but I think it’s really beautiful how people come together and get real when something really difficult to process happens. Even if it feels like poo poo let those feelings run through.

my 2 am stoned emotional about football thoughts

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight. Seeing Hamlin go limp and drop like a sack of rocks brought back the vivid memories of my three-day-old, after getting his first exam at the pediatrician, going limp in my arms because being placed on a cold scale in a cold room triggered something. Thank god we were *at* the pediatrician and they brought him back but I'm just so loving.... thousand yard staring right now.

Its heartening to see the GoFundMe up over 1000% now: https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-chasing-ms-foundation-community-toy-drive

drat, dude. I’m glad your son is okay. Sorry you had to go through that. A thing like tonight can really rattle us and bring a lot up we might not want to think about or feel. I don’t think that’s an inherently bad thing, but it is a hard thing.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

medical stuff. I'm sure LeeMajors has hit a bunch of these points

cardiac arrest due to blunt trauma is the cause of this. plenty of accurate vids circulating explaining what happened from a cardiac rhythm standpoint

assuming he received ACLS on the field. thats compressions, air, AED (shocks if appropriate), and chemicals. to move someone from the field to a higher level of care, you have to achieve return of spontaneous circulation, ROSC. essentially you have to have evidence that the heart is beating on its own.

Now that can be a judgement call, and if he's got enough chemicals in him (epi and amio) eventually he'll have SOMETHING a Para/supervising physician can point to and call ROSC. Especially in a situation like this because obviously they're not calling it on the field. and every code i've worked in the ER had the head doc eventually just stopping it and saying the heart wasn't actually doing anything.

blood has 6ish minutes of oxygen in it. CPR is just about keeping the blood moving through the arteries. neuro damage kicks in in roughly 2 minutes at a small lvl, 4-6 minutes bad stuff, then after that you start having conversations with family about expectations. they did ACLS for 9 minutes. not only is it not as efficient as the real thing (obviously) but you're not clearing CO2, so you're becoming acidic, and that can causes a whole host of other problems. If you hold your breath, you don't pass out because a lack of oxygen; you pass out because you're not clearing CO2.

not sure about specific state laws, but in nc for example to diagnose "brain dead" you have to do a slew of tests, then repeat them in 12 hours, all of this with the understanding of family, then signed off by the entire hospital board. I have assisted in these tests. it's basically going through several reflexes, then decreasing their ventilator support to see if they have any compensatory breathing changes as their CO2 rises

prognosis

based on what we know and the timeline, it's grim.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Major league (and probably all forms of) football will not and should not exist within 20 years. There really is just no way to safely play the sport where every single play has impact and trauma by design, and all the safety gear in the world only makes that worse because they'll never stop g-forces and players feeling more protected which counterintuitively makes them destroy their bodies more.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

cardiac arrest due to blunt trauma is the cause of this. plenty of accurate vids circulating explaining what happened from a cardiac rhythm standpoint

assuming he received ACLS on the field. thats compressions, air, AED (shocks if appropriate), and chemicals. to move someone from the field to a higher level of care, you have to achieve return of spontaneous circulation, ROSC. essentially you have to have evidence that the heart is beating on its own.

Now that can be a judgement call, and if he's got enough chemicals in him (epi and amio) eventually he'll have SOMETHING a Para/supervising physician can point to and call ROSC. Especially in a situation like this because obviously they're not calling it on the field. and every code i've worked in the ER had the head doc eventually just stopping it and saying the heart wasn't actually doing anything.

blood has 6ish minutes of oxygen in it. CPR is just about keeping the blood moving through the arteries. neuro damage kicks in in roughly 2 minutes at a small lvl, 4-6 minutes bad stuff, then after that you start having conversations with family about expectations. they did ACLS for 9 minutes. not only is it not as efficient as the real thing (obviously) but you're not clearing CO2, so you're becoming acidic, and that can causes a whole host of other problems. If you hold your breath, you don't pass out because a lack of oxygen; you pass out because you're not clearing CO2.

not sure about specific state laws, but in nc for example to diagnose "brain dead" you have to do a slew of tests, then repeat them in 12 hours, all of this with the understanding of family, then signed off by the entire hospital board. I have assisted in these tests. it's basically going through several reflexes, then decreasing their ventilator support to see if they have any compensatory breathing changes as their CO2 rises

prognosis

whats the difference between something like this and fabrice muamba being relatively okay after his heart stopped for 78 minutes?

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

fartknocker posted:

He’s been with ESPN since he retired in 2015, and was often the guy they had with SVP after MNF to talk about the game on SportsCenter, along with their other NFL stuff. It’s kind of a crazy coincidence that he’s arguably the best ex-NFL player in the media to be on hand to talk about a life and death situation like this.

Yeah, he's on Get Up! A few days a week to talk about football too, and he always comes off as having very well-thought out and knowledgeable points to make.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Wolfy posted:

whats the difference between something like this and fabrice muamba being relatively okay after his heart stopped for 78 minutes?

https://www.procpr.org/blog/training/cpr-length/amp

There is no hard time limit for CPR. The world record is 2 hours and 50 minutes.

The real bad sign is that he isn’t breathing on his own. That’s usually the last part of the brain to go. But there could be other causes for that besides brain death.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 3, 2023

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

fwiw

quote:

Jeff Miller, NFL executive vice president of communications, public affairs & policy, to a question about the future of the game: "There’s nothing in consideration right now. Our concern is for the player and his well-being. At the appropriate time, I’m sure that we’ll have a conversation around the next steps regarding the game."

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Wolfy posted:

He’s a miracle case. Literally everything went right in Muamba’s situation down to a drat expert cardiologist fan rushing down from the stands to make the ambulance go to his farther, but much better hospital, and even then there was virtually no expectation that the guy would have any sort of quality of life if he lived.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

please be ok.

e: spoiler this because while its' not graphic its certainly upsetting . It's not the hit on him but the players reactions as they administer CPR. Never seen anything like it, just collapsing in tears unable to watch. Also explains some of what Buck et al were saying in the booth as they could see this but it was never shown on the TV broadcast.

https://twitter.com/jacksettleman/status/1610094128968212481

adaz fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 3, 2023

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Bottom Liner posted:

Major league (and probably all forms of) football will not and should not exist within 20 years. There really is just no way to safely play the sport where every single play has impact and trauma by design, and all the safety gear in the world only makes that worse because they'll never stop g-forces and players feeling more protected which counterintuitively makes them destroy their bodies more.

This isn’t going to have any effect on the longevity of professional football. It was a freak medical occurrence. It’s tragic but basically unrelated to all of the reasons football is bad for people.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

YOLOsubmarine posted:

This isn’t going to have any effect on the longevity of professional football. It was a freak medical occurrence. It’s tragic but basically unrelated to all of the reasons football is bad for people.

This.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yeah as it stands there isn't anything about this the NFL could possibly have done to prevent short of mandatory cardiac mri for all players that get covid? Complete speculation on my part, but if he had covid 6 weeks ago and presumably myocarditis, I could see a high risk of blunt trauma causing a deadly rhythm disturbance cause the conduction chain is all hosed up from the inflammation.

I'm feeling pretty good on his likelihood of recovery considering how fast he got proper medical care. Probably won't know much for a couple days as they go through TTM protocol.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Also, just for reassurance, ABC double-checked with GoFundMe's staff and confirmed that the GoFundMe that everyone's been pouring money into was indeed started by Hamlin. So there's no mistakes or foolery going on there.

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery

Redeye Flight posted:

Also, just for reassurance, ABC double-checked with GoFundMe's staff and confirmed that the GoFundMe that everyone's been pouring money into was indeed started by Hamlin. So there's no mistakes or foolery going on there.

And it’s at nearly $3.2M. Heartening to see some good in the world right now.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

graph posted:

thats gonna make a poo poo ton of difference for a lot of sto-rox kids

for real, that neighborhood really really needs this support

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I went to sleep and someone thinks posting Charlie Kirk in this thread is a good idea. I know it’s from a few pages back, but let’s keep bullshit vaccine disinformation, and hot takes from randos on Twitter (including Skip Bayless) out of this thread. We don’t need to get our 2 minutes of hate in here.

I don’t exactly flex my little IK muscles very often, but if I see poo poo like that, you’re getting a 6 hour break. Let’s keep this thread more positive and posting actual news.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Well this was a hosed thing to wake up to. Wow.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Bird in a Blender posted:

I went to sleep and someone thinks posting Charlie Kirk in this thread is a good idea. I know it’s from a few pages back, but let’s keep bullshit vaccine disinformation, and hot takes from randos on Twitter (including Skip Bayless) out of this thread. We don’t need to get our 2 minutes of hate in here.

I don’t exactly flex my little IK muscles very often, but if I see poo poo like that, you’re getting a 6 hour break. Let’s keep this thread more positive and posting actual news.

Unfortunately, we are going to get A LOT of media laundering this loving reprehensible garbage today.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

prognosis

Another point id add here but cardiac arrest is intensely bad for your other organ systems, especially your kidneys—so depending on how long he was in arrest, he can have significant complications in recovery.

Manual, or even mechanical, chest compressions are really only effective at perfusing your heart and brain, but very specifically for perfusing your coronary arteries. It’s rudimentary but it works.

ACLS rhythms are either “shockable” or not. The sort of R-on-T cardiac arrest we witnessed is most likely shockable ventricular fibrillation or ventricular tachycardia, which has the best chance for rapid reorganization by electricity or “defibrillation.”

It’s a good sign they got pulses back on the field but even 5+ min of CPR without defibrillation can cause serious neurological deficits in addition to whatever other medical complications could arise.

Luckily it seems like he got really competent care immediately and bystander CPR really saves lives. With his baseline level of health and proximity of resources he has about the best possible opportunity for recovery.

But to be a complete realist out of hospital cardiac arrest generally has something like a 0.4% survival rate.

Vengarr posted:

https://www.procpr.org/blog/training/cpr-length/amp

There is no hard time limit for CPR. The world record is 2 hours and 50 minutes.

The real bad sign is that he isn’t breathing on his own. That’s usually the last part of the brain to go. But there could be other causes for that besides brain death.

I agree, with the caveat that we tend to paralyze and sedate these folks post-arrest so we can keep the advanced airway in place to optimize ventilations. I’ve had folks wake up immediately and rip their airway out, so we do this aggressively.

So yes, a lack of resp effort can be grim and indicate neuro damage but we aren’t going to get information at that level of granularity.

Id like to know if his pupils are reactive.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 3, 2023

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Asproigerosis posted:

Unfortunately, we are going to get A LOT of media laundering this loving reprehensible garbage today.

Possibly, but even more reason to keep it out of here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

davecrazy posted:

Well this was a hosed thing to wake up to. Wow.