Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Oh, you definitely can! It's a creative work that you created and own the copyright to, unless to sell/transfer it.

...what a snipe :/

e:

quote:

(i.) Assignment

In exchange for use of the Platform, and to the extent that your contributions through use of the Platform give rise to any intellectual property right interest, hereunder copyright, patent rights, design rights etc., you hereby assign all rights worldwide to the content generated by you to LEGO, meaning that LEGO and co-marketing partners can use your contributions in any way and for any purpose, including to reproduce, manufacture, copy, adapt, modify, perform, display, publish, sell, broadcast, transmit, or communicate to the public by any means whether now known or unknown and distribute your contributions for the whole duration of protection granted to intellectual property rights by applicable laws and international conventions.

Although you are assigning the rights above, you may continue to share and promote your work. Accordingly, LEGO grants each submitter a limited, revocable license to make use of their submitted Product Idea or Contest Entry for any of the following non-commercial uses:

- Posting pictures or other information about a submitted Product Idea or Contest Entry on the submitter’s own website or social media pages;
- Displaying a model based on a submitted Product Idea or Contest Entry at a public event such as a LEGO fan convention;
- Permitting a photograph or other content or information about a submitted Product Idea or Contest Entry to be published in a magazine or book, or in an online forum such as a fan website or a blog, provided that no compensation is paid to the submitter;
- Inclusion of pictures or other information or content about a submitted Product Idea or Contest Entry in a portfolio of the submitter’s creative works;
- Entering content or LEGO models from one’s inactive (for example expired, archived, or not approved) Product Idea or Contest Entry any other contest, crowdsourcing program, or open innovation initiative offered by the LEGO Group, if allowed by that initiative’s rules;
- Using any of the above methods to gain support on the LEGO Ideas platform, or to promote the submitter’s skill and talent.

You may not sell any items, physical or digital, related to either the Product Ideas or Contest Entries submitted to the platform. If we learn you are selling images, building instructions, custom kits, or anything related to ideas you have submitted to the platform, your materials may be deleted from the LEGO Ideas platform without further notice to you or (in some cases) we may need to pursue legal proceedings.

https://ideas.lego.com/terms

IIRC the german designer of the viking long boat who is currently in the entries with the mushroom house gave away the instructions for free after not getting picked, and Lego was cool with that

tuo fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

PacMan is a bad model, like they didn’t know how to use curved pieces.

I don’t know Thunderbirds at all but that is pretty cool considering it is micro scale.

JWST is cool but not sure about the folding since the whole sunscreen unrolls in real life and the Lego one can’t.

Community I could see them doing, unless they got burned by the Queer Eye set not selling.

Majority of them are “that looks cool on display at a Lego convention” sets and almost no one would buy them at the price and they should just go directly to the Bricklink program.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

tuo posted:

Oh, you definitely can! It's a creative work that you created and own the copyright to, unless to sell/transfer it.

...what a snipe :/

e:

https://ideas.lego.com/terms

IIRC the german designer of the viking long boat who is currently in the entries with the mushroom house gave away the instructions for free after not getting picked, and Lego was cool with that

I looked it up: Despite processes and systems explicitly not being copyrightable, this doesn't extend to instructions.
Ingredients (a parts list? INAL), however, are not copyrightable.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

That's true, but the design of the set itself, the idea how to create something out of said ingredients, should be copyrightable, imo. I mean it takes a lot of creativity to come up with these sets.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have a vague memory that lego tried to sue chinese knockoffs on the basis of set designs (ie, instructions) and failed at it. They had to go after them for logo and brand violations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
^^^ you might be thinking of the case against Lepin that Lego actually won, which had more to do with China wanting to play nice with Lego more than actual law, because China is at the 19th century United States stage of IP law mostly (steal from everyone else and produce goods to build economy without caring about licensing things that are protected in other countries too much)

It’s the idea-expression dichotomy. You can copyright the way the information is presented but not the information itself.

You could sue someone for reproducing the instructions in the same form or as a derivative work, but you couldn’t sue them for following the instructions.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 2, 2023

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

xzzy posted:

I have a vague memory that lego tried to sue chinese knockoffs on the basis of set designs (ie, instructions) and failed at it. They had to go after them for logo and brand violations.

I don't know, I see both the design of a set as well as the instructions similar to any other work like a painting, or a piece of music. The ingredients are well known and available to all, but the creative aspect of rearranging said components to create something new should be something that the creator holds the copyright to. If the designers choose to release them for free, it's their choice and cool and good, but they should definitely have a say in who can use them and should be attributed if they want to...in an ideal world, of course, as IANAL also.

e: added quote to the post I'm refereing to

tuo fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 2, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

tuo posted:

I don't know, I see both the design of a set as well as the instructions similar to any other work like a painting, or a piece of music. The ingredients are well known and available to all, but the creative aspect of rearranging said components to create something new should be something that the creator holds the copyright to. If the designers choose to release them for free, it's their choice and cool and good, but they should definitely have a say in who can use them and should be attributed if they want to...in an ideal world, of course, as IANAL also.

I AM a lawyer, but this is not legal advice and my interest in this area is a couple classes in school and hobby only.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Dogen posted:

I AM a lawyer, but this is not legal advice and my interest in this area is a couple classes in school and hobby only.

Sorry, my reply was to the post above yours, will fix!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I can see them doing the Travel Suitcase or the flip clock maybe. Everything else looks way too big and ornate.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

tuo posted:

Sorry, my reply was to the post above yours, will fix!

Haha that wasn’t directed at you particularly, no worries.

Also of course what I know is limited to the US for the most part and a little how we differ from Europe (eg moral rights of the author).

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Zoo is interesting to me because with the addition of a few electric fences it could make for a nice Jurassic Park.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Take this thread on a tour of all the subforums imo, only move it to the next when someone makes a build themed for the current subforum.

I think this thread would react poorly to another roadtrip but I love this idea. Perhaps a traveling lego roadtrip thread is in order?

corgski fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 2, 2023

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

For whatever reason I am going to give my thoughts on each idea quickly(ish):
1) Not bad, probably a bit of a high piece count, might be a bit of a dull build.
2) Could be fun, but feels too close to stuff they already have/put out (Haunted House)
3) Love it, but almost certainly not happening
4) IP, probably not happening, plus it feels like there's too many of these styles of submission
5) IP, probably a bunch of stability issues with the balloon part
6) Not bad, but sort of feel like it doesnt have a strong appeal
7) Didn't realize it was a whole baseplate at first, probably would be better as a similar concept scaled down.
8) Fun idea, too big/high piece count, similar to folding storybook already done.
9) IP, big, kind of boring looking
10) Like this one, but maybe an IP issue?
11) IP. But heck if I don't want this one. Scale looks good, feels like a good balance of things without being overdone. But pretty sure Thunderbirds stuff has been rejected in the past.
12) I don't know what this thing is. It looks like it'd be boring to build though.
13) Pretty, but a little big/blobby/high piece count.
14) Like this one, simple and interesting.
15) Cool diorama, but feels a touch bloated for a production set - probably too close to City line.
16) Similar to above, feels more interesting though.
17) Would there be an IP issue? Seems like a decent model.
18) IP. Boring. But then again, the Office Set happened.
19) IP. Kinda boring/simple.
20) Fun, interesting, Could maybe happen, unless Lego is planning to do something akin to the other anniversary sets for Cowboys.
21) Cool? But way too big.
22) IP, but kind of fun?
23) I cant see Lego doing a modular through IDEAS.
24) Big, boring, busy mess. Great for a fan model, awful for a product
25) Cute, if a bit simple? Can't really seeing it make it.
26) What? Had to click through to find out it's IP that doesn't immediately evoke the IP unless you know the IP.
27) IP, Fun model, probably not a great set.
28) Interesting, maybe a touch big, would probably get trimmed down as a product to remove the baseplate.
29) Neat, feels like one of the more reasonable models, not sure how much appeal it has though.
30) Fun concept, probably a bit impractical of a production model due to printing or stickering needed, as well as it just makes no sense to actually run the thing as a real clock.
31) Cute, neat, maybe a more reasonable model.
32) Cute, creative, neat. Not a bad model
33) IP, but could see a version that maybe trims down/out the house in favor of more mini-builds.
34) IP that is probably not very popular or well know. A neat model, but seems impractical as a product. (All the various little rooms are cute
35) IP I've not heard of before? Big bulky, Lego just sold a big rear end castle, not happening.
36) A bit big, but fairly unique and a fun idea. Could see this idea being retooled a bit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How good at vote farming are people getting that they're having multiple submissions through the same review?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

xzzy posted:

How good at vote farming are people getting that they're having multiple submissions through the same review?

It's a very broken system at this point. LEGO really needs to rework it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I wonder if any submission has made it through on vote farming then proceeded to flop commercially.

Like, do we know if any particular IDEAS sets that got released that went on to sell particularly poorly?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Queer eye. Adventure time. Both those looked like flops based on how quickly LEGO put them on clearance.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
The crazy priced 21337 Table Football that came out in November was discounted before the new year, from what I understand it was put on sale at unprecedented speed.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Was that ideas? I thought it was BAD ideas! hohoho

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hNp-45OFFg

Racing Bricks has an interview with the designer of the Speed Champions line detailing the new cars and new parts.

This is really good, it’s basically “the designer monologues about 2023 Speed Champions for 30 minutes”. Explains all the new parts and shows the presumably 3D printed prototypes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Waltzing Along posted:

Queer eye. Adventure time. Both those looked like flops based on how quickly LEGO put them on clearance.

Adventure Time was rough because instead of the various traditional minifigure-scale or microscale location submissions, the one that won and was produced was an odd BrickHeadz-esque submission.

It had some cute builds, but even as a huge fan of the show I felt zero need to own it until I found it on deep clearance.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
if i'm buying a licensed set i want it to have little guys I can take to my other sets

such that it could be Finn and Jake are in a spaceship, ferris wheel etc. come on lego this is simple math

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm kind of expecting a One Piece set to come along sooner or later. You'd think that the biggest/most popular anime/manga ever would do well.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's IP + Pirate ship. Kinda weird it hasn't happened

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Could be a licensing thing. But if you've been in Japan and seen how much stuff has One Piece plastered on it or just the sheer amount of toys and figures and other doo-dads, that argument doesn't seem to have merit.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
The speed champions modern super cars are all boring and samey looking. I’m still tempted to pick up the Countach, give me like a Miura or a 350 GTO

Arcella fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 3, 2023

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Countach is a fun little build and my kid loving loves the model. He drives that thing around constantly.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Evil Dude: Behold my latest creation, the Clutchipede!

Evil Dude: Each limb has the power to break apart reality!

Evil Dude: Yes, my pet! Destroy the Ghostbusters Firehouse! Muahaha!

Peter: Our Proton Packs are no match for it's destructive capability.

Batman: Fear not, chums! Your friends won't abandon you in your hour of need.
Joker: You tricked me, Batman! I only came because you said there'd be lots of "orange wedges!"
Eleven: I thought he said "Eggos."
Aragorn: This day, we fight!

Evil Dude:NOOO! CURSE YOU! CURSE YOU ALL!
Captain America: Avengers, disassemble.

deoju fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 3, 2023

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Arcella posted:

The speed champions modern super cars are all bring and samey looking. I’m still tempted to pick up the Countach, give me like a Miura or a 350 GTO

The Countach and the little Ferrari are definitely fun builds.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Oxyclean posted:

I wonder if any submission has made it through on vote farming then proceeded to flop commercially.

Like, do we know if any particular IDEAS sets that got released that went on to sell particularly poorly?

The Pooh set hit clearance pretty quickly.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lego did do a Doctor Who set in 2015, plus two Dimension packs. But other than the various Console Rooms, and the Third Doctor's roadster "Bessie", I don't really know what other things they can do.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Davros1 posted:

Lego did do a Doctor Who set in 2015, plus two Dimension packs. But other than the various Console Rooms, and the Third Doctor's roadster "Bessie", I don't really know what other things they can do.

UCS Sonic Screwdriver.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

UCS Tardis Pool

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm kind of expecting a One Piece set to come along sooner or later. You'd think that the biggest/most popular anime/manga ever would do well.
Lowest piece count of any set :dadjoke:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I would do dark terrible things for an, official, Thousand Sunny or Going Merry set

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Flipperwaldt posted:

Lowest piece count of any set :dadjoke:
Just barely nudging out the champion!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Literally A Person posted:

Countach is a fun little build and my kid loving loves the model. He drives that thing around constantly.

…dad?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Are minifigs considered 1, 3 or 9 pieces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

HootTheOwl posted:

Are minifigs considered 1, 3 or 9 pieces?
3 at a bare minimum: head, torso assembly, leg assembly. Add a hair or helmet and it's 4. Even though hands are considered an element (and, in the past, people have even been able to order just the hands through PaB), when they're all together with arms and a torso, those 5 connected bits are considered 1 element.