Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

And I think he's lying about his intent between the last post talking about it being up for hours before his post and no use of the quote function to clarify the subject matter he's referring to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Danann posted:

And I think he's lying about his intent between the last post talking about it being up for hours before his post and no use of the quote function to clarify the subject matter he's referring to.

:rolleyes:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Majorian posted:

That's true, but even so, it would probably be fair to acknowledge that Al-Saqr was right on this one.

Admittedly, it didn't help he was crowing about American super technology when the Russians did the very same thing. It is a war and everything but come on.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 09:54 on Jan 3, 2023

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, it didn't help he was crowing about American super technology when the Russians did the very same thing. It is a war and everything but come on.

Seems like it would be wiser to ding him on the hypocrisy, and not on his grasp of the facts, but hey, I'm just backseat driving here.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Al-Saqr immediately posted this after someone else posted a video of a ukranian building get pancaked by a russian missile strike on live TV.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Majorian posted:

Seems like it would be wiser to ding him on the hypocrisy, and not on his grasp of the facts, but hey, I'm just backseat driving here.

It doesn't help it was already posted earlier than both sides hit each other.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I’m not really sure he can be right for that post: the first half is an opinion (an impressive strike) and the second half is a very debatable point (Russians are incapable of dealing with American satellites)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Vomik posted:

I’m not really sure he can be right for that post: the first half is an opinion (an impressive strike) and the second half is a very debatable point (Russians are incapable of dealing with American satellites)

I guess the point is that the Ukraine did hit a barracks (not depicted in the video), but again, I don't know why the Ukrainians hitting a barracks shows notable technological superiority (considering not only the latest strike but the same there has been constant Russian strikes for a month plus).

It was also pushed earlier that Russians are suppose to be extraordinarily inaccurate even though they clearly have been hitting all types of targets with different systems.

If anything it shows how little is going on beyond calculated daily carnage (who has the high score etc).

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:18 on Jan 3, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well once we have our autonomous robot legions of doom (tm) we won't have barracks or command posts. Just self replicating Screamers (1995). Which will be great until a bad firmware upgrade sets them loose and the friend or foe code stops working.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DancingShade posted:

Well once we have our autonomous robot legions of doom (tm) we won't have barracks or command posts. Just self replicating Screamers (1995). Which will be great until a bad firmware upgrade sets them loose and the friend or foe code stops working.

Honestly, I don't know if humanity will actually make it there the way things are going. It seems like terminator is a bit out of our reach tbh.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Once again we fail at reaching the vistas james cameron set for us.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ardennes posted:

Honestly, I don't know if humanity will actually make it there the way things are going. It seems like terminator is a bit out of our reach tbh.

terminator no, but we can absolutely make it to sort of working robots that are able to kill people indiscriminately

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zodium posted:

terminator no, but we can absolutely make it to sort of working robots that are able to kill people indiscriminately

Humanity has achieved the “Maximum Overdrive” ending, sweet.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Ardennes posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKYNET_(surveillance_program)

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Some Guy TT posted:

why would that offend anyone if banderas a cool dude were supposed to admire

Worried they might mean a Hispanic dude.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

Humanity has achieved the “Maximum Overdrive” ending, sweet.

A fair call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLKOzDvmoI8

I kind of like the Terran Conflict version because of this lovely trailer from yesterdecade.

It's all about those Von Neumann probes man.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Frosted Flake posted:

The Great Schism isn’t over heresy but administration, specifically regarding the status of Rome relative the rest of the Pentarchy.

oh yeah? well filioque to you, fucker!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
filioque deez nuts

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zodium posted:

I feel like the hard limit to this sort of thing, at least for the foreseeable future, is providing wireless energy to robots. Batteries just don't seem to be there yet. So you can make robots that can do all sorts of wild poo poo, but only for like 30 minutes or whatever if they aren't plugged into something.

Actually, why don't they just make the robots gas-powered? Like take one if those fancy Boston Dynamics robots and fuel it with diesel. There's probably some reason to not do this.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like the hard limit to this sort of thing, at least for the foreseeable future, is providing wireless energy to robots. Batteries just don't seem to be there yet. So you can make robots that can do all sorts of wild poo poo, but only for like 30 minutes or whatever if they aren't plugged into something.

Actually, why don't they just make the robots gas-powered? Like take one if those fancy Boston Dynamics robots and fuel it with diesel. There's probably some reason to not do this.

Diesel powered robots is actually fine apart from the noise. Those diesel engines aren't exactly quiet. Turns out being next to a walking noise pollution machine on a battlefield may be a hazard, nobody guessed though.

The magical mythical promised land technology of fusion batteries or whatever isn't quite there yet. We may need to read more 1950s sci-fi novels for that.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
sodium-doped glass and there's another one that's escaping me - for future battery tech that can maybe have the density and material availability to do this stuff.

because we live in the Kojima universe one of these is helmed by a Dr. Goodenough.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Buffer posted:

sodium-doped glass and there's another one that's escaping me - for future battery tech that can maybe have the density and material availability to do this stuff.

because we live in the Kojima universe one of these is helmed by a Dr. Goodenough.

I was thinking a bit of Andre Norton and Space Patrol where we're all collectively a space posse in our space ship that gets marooned on the ruins of what was once Earth and we have a laser gunfight at the saloon with the green blobbly aliens over who gets to claim the ruins of the former last human city to live out the long cold night.

Also this takes place in Ukraine I guess. Got to keep it contemporary.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

DancingShade posted:

I was thinking a bit of Andre Norton and Space Patrol where we're all collectively a space posse in our space ship that gets marooned on the ruins of what was once Earth and we have a laser gunfight at the saloon with the green blobbly aliens over who gets to claim the ruins of the former last human city to live out the long cold night.

Also this takes place in Ukraine I guess. Got to keep it contemporary.

ok that's way better than 5-10 years to a robot dog that mostly clears homeless camps.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DancingShade posted:

Diesel powered robots is actually fine apart from the noise. Those diesel engines aren't exactly quiet. Turns out being next to a walking noise pollution machine on a battlefield may be a hazard, nobody guessed though.

The magical mythical promised land technology of fusion batteries or whatever isn't quite there yet. We may need to read more 1950s sci-fi novels for that.

Yeah but in that case it would probably just be a more efficiently designed drone tank, with similar limits on range, and if they went haywire you just wait until they run out of ammo or gas. That said, you would also need to wait until your AI software was good enough it doesn’t accidentally whack your own soldiers if they forgot their IR tag.

Also, to be honest, it is really pretty cheap to brainwash people and stick them in there anyway especially if there are ways to manipulate the AI against you (taping up its cameras etc).

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The US should give Bolo tanks to Ukraine

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

sudden image in my head of zelenskyy wearing a bolo tie

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Weka posted:

Lol it's hand crafted artisinal shells at a rate of less than one shell per worker per day.

Yeah just looking at that video that factory looks like a shitshow. Just so many manual actions on a per shell basis my god.

Actually let's do some maths. They say tens of thousands a year. So let's say 50k, likely it's less then that, but let's say. 365 days of 24 hours and 60 minutes = 525600 minutes. So that's nearly 10 minutes per shell. Even if we round up to 100K shells a year it'd be 5 minutes per shell. When I visited the now defunct (not profitable enough) GM auto plant in Antwerp during my studies they proudly told us they produced an entire car per minute.

How the gently caress is a shell 5 or even 10 times more time consuming to produce than a car?

Don't have the data but real curious how this would stack up in terms of man-hours.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 14:03 on Jan 3, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

Australia to send Bob Semple tanks to Ukraine

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah just looking at that video that factory looks like a shitshow. Just so many manual actions on a per shell basis my god.

Actually let's do some maths. They say tens of thousands a year. So let's say 50k, likely it's less then that, but let's say. 365 days of 24 hours and 60 minutes = 525600 minutes. So that's nearly 10 minutes per shell. Even if we round up to 100K shells a year it'd be 5 minutes per shell. When I visited the now defunct (not profitable enough) GM auto plant in Antwerp during my studies they proudly told us they produced an entire car per minute.

How the gently caress is a shell 5 or even 10 times more time consuming to produce than a car?

Don't have the data but real curious how this would stack up in terms of man-hours.

don't shame my horrible factorio throughput, ok!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1609886512694595584?t=yr3HOiD-hapZyblW9VT1yA&s=19

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
ukraine said it was gonna be big israel, but russia will become biggest israel

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Israel is storming Al Aqsa mosque, and Israel is calling in it's firm ally Ukraine to do battle with insurgents.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/US_Stormwatch/status/1609829457292066818?t=D4EBiTxDDk4KaI340SS97A&s=19

Europeans won't need to worry about running out of gas in winter if Europe doesn't have winter anymore.

Another failed gamble by Putin.

This is the opposite of good for literally everything lol

Thank God AC doesn't use any energy

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/US_Stormwatch/status/1609829457292066818?t=D4EBiTxDDk4KaI340SS97A&s=19

Europeans won't need to worry about running out of gas in winter if Europe doesn't have winter anymore.

they can just cool off with a nice warm beer

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

DancingShade posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCRHR-BwuDw

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
what does a robot murder offer me as compared to just getting murdered by a human the old fashioned way?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Vomik posted:

what does a robot murder offer me as compared to just getting murdered by a human the old fashioned way?

Think of the efficiency!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

i saw a quote tweet of someone saying this was probably making Putin real mad because a lack of a really cold winter meant that the Ukrainians could go back on the offensive sooner

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

i saw a quote tweet of someone saying this was probably making Putin real mad because a lack of a really cold winter meant that the Ukrainians could go back on the offensive sooner

It would be pretty metal if it got warm enough in winter for all the mud to dry out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

War just doesn't fit with the :justpost: ethos.

It's slow and boring, and all the cool big explosions are actually just average and routine most of the time.

Everyone needs to get their hot take in and guess about the next big thing to happen, while in reality it's just going to be more of the same poo poo.

In these conditions posting discipline and morale is sure to suffer.