Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Infinitum posted:

I LOVE MY CAR, IS THIS NORMAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllll...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Edit: safari refresh fail

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1610135872925564930

Please cyber bully Elon Musk harder, as he's obviously not getting it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nobody who cried about how damaging Twitter was to their mental health ever quit or even reduced their usage one iota

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Twitter is elons findom.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

To be fair if they were Teslas 50% of them would have bricked themselves before they could start and most of the others would have been rendered undrivable before reaching that freeway.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

a pipe smoking dog posted:

To be fair if they were Teslas 50% of them would have bricked themselves before they could start and most of the others would have been rendered undrivable before reaching that freeway.

The OP was suggesting the boring tunnels I think. Not that they would solve anything even if Musky managed to actually dig them.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

The OP was suggesting the boring tunnels I think. Not that they would solve anything even if Musky managed to actually dig them.

It could solve a problem, in that it’s a handy place for burned teslas to be buried :v:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Icon Of Sin posted:

It could solve a problem, in that it’s a handy place for burned teslas to be buried :v:

I think you're supposed to get them stuck deep underground in a tunnel with no escape options and THEN they start burning.

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021

Icon Of Sin posted:

The Teslas burning through the road into the tunnels is a feature!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Has musk ever made any further tunnels other than the Las Vegas one? Is the boring company completely dead, or are they still pretending to do something?

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Gonna call bullshit on this one. If it was so notorious, Elon would've programmed the car to account for it.

Also you're not supposed to put 4 people in a car, that's on you for voiding the warranty.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

The Saddest Rhino posted:

That's a known issue with teslas

see you should feel lucky that only your windows spontaneously exploded

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

steinrokkan posted:

Has musk ever made any further tunnels other than the Las Vegas one? Is the boring company completely dead, or are they still pretending to do something?

As far as I know, they put in low bids to get contracts, then fail to build tunnels in order to prevent mass transit from being implemented instead.

So Elon is basically Judge Doom from Roger Rabbit.

[Edit] On further thought, being a toon in an ill-fitting human suit might explain some things.

TVs Ian fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 3, 2023

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're failing to dig tunnels and not getting sued into oblivion because all government contracts are toothless as gently caress.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

Vegas was the only one that really got complete and it was an embarrassing failure.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Wasn't The Boring Company marketing trying to hype up the idea that they had found some new way to dig tunnels that was much faster a few years ago? Like, they had found a non-defined way to use far more power while tunneling or some nonsense? I swear I remember hearing about it a lot a few years ago and then not a word since the Las Vegas tunnel opened.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

Wasn't The Boring Company marketing trying to hype up the idea that they had found some new way to dig tunnels that was much faster a few years ago? Like, they had found a non-defined way to use far more power while tunneling or some nonsense? I swear I remember hearing about it a lot a few years ago and then not a word since the Las Vegas tunnel opened.

They did appear to have improved tunnel boring some, but the problem remained that tunnels are still a massive headache and cars in tunnels just lead to traffic jams in tunnels.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They claimed to be able to dig 10s of times faster than normal methods, but all of the advanced techniques they described were techniques already in use, so nobody could work out how.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
they didn't improve poo poo, they just made a bunch of claims that were completely disconnected from reality. there's a reason why the tunnel stuff is totally DOA

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

When was the last time there was any sort of breakthrough in how to bore tunnels? The Channel Tunnel between England and France? I'm not an expert on the subject, but I think since then all we've got is marginal improvements on existing techniques/technology.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
People have been digging tunnels for millennia, it's a very well explored problem.

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009
The channel tunnel was 5 miles per year.

Vegas loop 0.5 miles per year.

Digging speed

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

goatface posted:

People have been digging tunnels for millennia, it's a very well explored problem.

*Elon taking notes on guy digging a sideways hole with a stick*

Interesting

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Oh, boring! I thought everyone was just calling Musk's companies boring

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

goatface posted:

The problem is that Musk is basically proposing subways but with cars, which is several levels of stupid.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

MiracleFlare posted:

Oh, boring! I thought everyone was just calling Musk's companies boring

Boering

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I imagine they tested their non-innovative methods on a simple sample area and thought they could just apply that broadly without accounting for other sediment types because if there’s one think Musk companies seem to be bad at, it’s extrapolating time estimates for anything.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Mynameismud posted:

Digging speed

edit, my bad

FreeRangeHexagon fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 3, 2023

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

i wanna know what happens to those little car tunnels when there's an earthquake

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

yeah, but there have to be differences in the geology that make it not a 1 to 1 comparison, plus one tunnel had an English Channels worth of seawater on top of it, which is its own engineering challenge that probably slowed down construction. Anyway, my point was that *I think* the Channel Tunnel was the first time modern TBMs had been used on such a large project, and since then we've just been getting improved versions of what is fundamentally the same sort of machine.

5 miles per year with older tech and more engineering challenges... did you even read the post youre quoting

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mynameismud posted:

Digging speed

Yes, but the Vegas Tunnel (or Vunnel) is meant for a single Tesla. The Chunnel takes multiple trains. So really, you should be adjusting that dig rate to compare miles per year per Tesla.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

500excf type r posted:

5 miles per year with older tech and more engineering challenges... did you even read the post youre quoting

I guess not because the fact that Elon has made tunnels 10 times slower to build was too stupid of an idea to really register.

FreeRangeHexagon fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 3, 2023

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Infinitum posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1610135872925564930

Please cyber bully Elon Musk harder, as he's obviously not getting it

No don't this is his kink and we're all participants

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Is there a good reason the Vegas Tunnel was that much slower. Because I know that tunnelling projects in places like New York and London tend to be super slow because those cities have a huge maze of tunnels, pipes, and cables beneath them, so you have to be super careful not to hit anything. I don't think Vegas has anything of similar scale. But I don't want to dunk on Elon if there actually is a legit reason why the tunnel took so long.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they were tunnelling through something bastard hard and heterogenous? I dunno what Vegas geology is like.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

Is there a good reason the Vegas Tunnel was that much slower. Because I know that tunnelling projects in places like New York and London tend to be super slow because those cities have a huge maze of tunnels, pipes, and cables beneath them, so you have to be super careful not to hit anything. I don't think Vegas has anything of similar scale. But I don't want to dunk on Elon if there actually is a legit reason why the tunnel took so long.

Wasn't it bored that slow to keep the hyperloop . . . hype going for as long as possible? What I heard (grain of salt) was that they wanted to kill any public transit alternatives in the works, so completing the tunnel quickly would make it very apparent that the hyperloop wouldn't solve anything, and new public transit was still needed. With it going on for so long, new initiatives in public transit were stalled and abandoned because, "the hyperloop is coming any day now", so money that could have been allocated to trains, busses, etc. were used elsewhere.

Just what I heard, don't cite me.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I still don't understand how he wasn't completely raked over the coals for that. He admitted that he just wanted to gently caress over public transport and everything!

It's an America thing, isn't it

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Musk: Okay, digging tech is obsolete and slow, let's do it better.

Later

Musk: I call this a digging stick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Libra posted:

I still don't understand how he wasn't completely raked over the coals for that. He admitted that he just wanted to gently caress over public transport and everything!

It's an America thing, isn't it

Because it's America, and public transit is for commie-homo-hippies, and everyone who has the power to take him to task is getting paid to make sure public transit never really takes off.