Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Laterite posted:

luv to modify critical automobile safety functionality deep in the settings menu

i also love handbrakes with no tactile feedback and engage lag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

In all seriousness, there must be a reason soccer moms do. Were people forgetting their brakes were on?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Frosted Flake posted:

In all seriousness, there must be a reason soccer moms do. Were people forgetting their brakes were on?

Yes. Especially when they were loading in like 2 kids and groceries.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Which movie will beat Avatar at the box office? Plane??

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Nonsense posted:

he thought it was in park, it wasn't. All because Chrysler designed this stupid dial, which I don't think they changed and continue to produce.

https://macsmotorcitygarage.com/the-motor-citys-push-button-age/

All the excesses of 1950s and 1960s American automotive engineering are back.

Nonsense posted:

it’s like that celebrity who crushed himself on his own gate because he decided to actually keep the Chrysler vehicle given to him.

Anton Yelchin. He played Chekov in the first Abrams Star Trek movie.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36572649

Eric Cantonese has issued a correction as of 02:43 on Jan 3, 2023

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I like the off button in my Prius cause it only works if the car is at a standstill with the brake applied and automatically puts the car in park, engages the hand brake, and unlocks the doors. when I drive another car I get annoyed that I have to put it in park and put the handbrake on manually AND THEN turn the thing off. it's simple people!!!!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

one thing i really like about players is that organizm is obviously on the spectrum but this basically never comes up because people are so used to thinking of being on the spectrum as a disability they literally cant process the idea that someone on the spectrum can be both hypercompetent but also incredibly infuriating to deal with on a personal level thats not intended as malicious but is almost impossible to interpret any other way when you need clear communication and just arent getting any

i really dislike the extent to which being on the spectrum is pathologized in general its not like impossible to learn social skills it just requires more effort the same way some people have to put in more effort to learn math i really have to wonder to what extent our societal discord is being exacerbated by the extent to which no one thinks communication is an improvable skill i mean hell thats like the one thing trump is good at is doing is communicating and hes basically the one eyed man in the land of the blind at this point because hes the only politician who even seems to understand that you need to play to an audience anymore

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
knowing math comes up much less often and learning it is much less important than social skills if you are trying to exist among neurotypicals so comparing the two kind of trivializes how difficult of a journey (some) people on the spectrum have to go through

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Soup du Jour posted:

I wish I could have heard this news through an app dedicated to jeremy renner updates

the Trolls ruined it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

my point is that schools dont just give up trying to teach algebra if a student doesnt understand it but theres not even a baseline for acceptable social skills because theyre not considered something you can learn this is a recent social change mostly because you cant standardize test social skills

like basically all the conflict in players revolves around organizm not having teamplay skills something he could probably learn pretty easily if someone would just take the trouble to coach him on them instead of expecting him to figure it out on his own

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
When the star trek guy died, I kept haphazardly seeing the name Chekhov everywhere and got excited because I thought it was going to be something about Anton Chekhov, the Russian writer. Then I was able to read an article. And then wasn't.

In retrospect, I lived through a very good Anton Chekhov short story.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I watched Avatar 2 yesterday. I thought it was quite good. At three hours the story really gets to breathe without having to rush through anything, and the build-up of the outcast whale culminating in his completely massacring that Aussie whaler gently caress was extremely cathartic

all the water effects and "graphics" looked really good

the worst thing I will say about it is that the use of the Papyrus font was jarring

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
in modern parlance, being political means your game/show has women in it

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

in modern parlance, being political means your game/show has women in it

oh lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

one thing i really like about players is that organizm is obviously on the spectrum but this basically never comes up because people are so used to thinking of being on the spectrum as a disability they literally cant process the idea that someone on the spectrum can be both hypercompetent but also incredibly infuriating to deal with on a personal level thats not intended as malicious but is almost impossible to interpret any other way when you need clear communication and just arent getting any

i really dislike the extent to which being on the spectrum is pathologized in general its not like impossible to learn social skills it just requires more effort the same way some people have to put in more effort to learn math i really have to wonder to what extent our societal discord is being exacerbated by the extent to which no one thinks communication is an improvable skill i mean hell thats like the one thing trump is good at is doing is communicating and hes basically the one eyed man in the land of the blind at this point because hes the only politician who even seems to understand that you need to play to an audience anymore

The trick is a shitload of neurotypical people have absolute garbage social skills as well, while being completely ignorant of it, and are quite often just as bad or worse at communicating clearly

Also a shitload of social problems come from how children, especially boys, are basically just not taught social skills. At all. Literally like My Little Pony episodes are the closest thing to structured and specific lessons about how to get along with people and communicate that they're ever going to get.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

a lot of it comes down to intent like you can clearly tell organizm is way different from the other obnoxious characters on players because hes super quiet and shy but everyone keeps interpreting his actions like hes this epic dude laying down sick owns at moments of maximum impact because aggressive rear end in a top hat behavior is so normalized in the league of legends gaming culture the idea that hes being offensive unintentionally is just entirely beyond people

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

It was funny when they decided Mission Impossible was going to be a Jeremy Renner franchise, then realized midway through the film that no, Tom Cruise is just going to do them in perpetuity.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Nichael posted:

It was funny when they decided Mission Impossible was going to be a Jeremy Renner franchise, then realized midway through the film that no, Tom Cruise is just going to do them in perpetuity.
didn't they also try this with the Bourne saga

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nichael posted:

FFT posted:

didn't they also try this with the Bourne saga

yeah, Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol in 2011 had Cruise and Renner together, with just enough of a dangling plotline to make it look like they could hand it off to Renner if it looked like there was enough interest to take it in that direction. It seems like there wasn't, and there's been two more Mission Impossible movies since then, with another two already in the books for 2023 and 2024

Matt Damon did the original Bourne Identity trilogy in 2002, 2004, and 2007

in 2012, they made "The Bourne Legacy", which put Renner in the role of another Bourne-like agent that has to survive his own Bourne-like super-soldier program getting shut down. Supposedly this movie performed well enough at the box office, but they made another Jason Bourne movie in 2016 that put Damon back in the lead role. The difference though is that it looks like there's not going to be any more after that one

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Renner just isn't charismatic enough to be a leading man. Also he's ugly, which doesn't help

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

McCloud posted:

Renner just isn't charismatic enough to be a leading man. Also he's ugly, which doesn't help

He looks like the leading man clone they made right before they dialed in the machine enough to make Daniel Craig and the Hemsworths

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

He looks like the leading man clone they made right before they dialed in the machine enough to make Daniel Craig and the Hemsworths

more like jeremy rennerup

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

McCloud posted:

turning his leg into a twizzler isn't going to help either.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Top Boat Flicks:

Speed 2: Cruise Control
K-19: The Widowmaker
Master & Commander
White Squall
The Perfect Storm
Titanic
That one scene in Indiana Jones

Das Boot

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
i liked dead calm, it has baby nicole kidman and her terrible baby wigs, sam neill and billy zane are always a delight, and it has a lot of that 1989 crunchiness to it while still being fun

it also has a lot of really good boat shots

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

i think the rock did several jungle movies and it featured no boats

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

DoombatINC posted:

man Im watchin Burke & Hare (1972), a british adaptation of the story of the real-life 19th century serial killers and corpse wholesalers, and it would be a forgettable nothing if it weren't so tonally bizarre. its got plenty of violence, nudity, and general amorality, but the impeccably tidy period clothes, overlit and overdressed sets and bouncy, playful soundtrack gives the whole thing the feel of a live-action Disney movie from the sixties. all the filmmaking language being used is that of a comedy but its not in any way funny - like get a load of this loving themesong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5Dme5Uc_Uc

really an odd duck of a flick

Isn't this just all Hammer Horror?

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
if it weren't for gary oldman christopher lee would 100% still be the best dracula

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nonsense posted:

turning his leg into a twizzler isn't going to help either.

Jeremy Rendered

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

i think the rock did several jungle movies and it featured no boats

he was in a jungle movie called jungle cruise

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Count of Monte Cristo post, probably second-to-last: I'm basically done with this book. Danglars has been punished and the only remaining plot thread is to reunite Valentine and Maximilian (and probably set Dantes up with Haydee, I guess, which is some Woody Allen poo poo, but they're French so I shouldn't be surprised).

Danglars is stripped of the last of his fortune by having him get kidnapped by Luigi Vampa and stuck in a cell, and starving him until he voluntarily signs it all away in exchange for like six meals total. I appreciated the irony in finishing him off by, essentially, showing him what capitalism is like for a poor person (this is what it's like to not be able to afford things but needing to buy them anyway), but it annoys me that they then set him loose with what I'm guessing from context is a totally normal amount of money for a person to have. He's the worst of all of them, and he got off the lightest. At least make him poor, goddammit. Mercedes ends up poorer than him.

I'm also kind of surprised that Dantes is made to undergo a crisis of doubt when he finally completes his revenge on Villefort (in that his plan accidentally caused Edward, a ten-year-old kid, to get poisoned to death instead of only the several adults he intended). This is the archetypal revenge story, so I expected total clarity of purpose all the way through with the exception of the part where Mercedes convinced him not to kill Albert. I think I have positive feelings on this surprise, but, as I mentioned in my last post, he was totally fine with Valentine getting poisoned to death until he found out she was Maximilian's "property," and she didn't do anything wrong either and isn't even much older than Edward (I think she's like 17?) which makes it feel kind of arbitrary. (e: the Saint-Merans didn't do anything to Dantes either, but they're right-wing aristocrats, so gently caress em. Barrois is comrade-adjacent and should have been spared too, though.)

I'll probably wrap up this book tonight. Overall I'm glad I read it, but I'm not 100% on whether I should have just read the abridged version. It took its goddamn time getting to the point.

Next up I'm going back to Discworld. I feel like a fraud posting with this av when I haven't even read every Rincewind book.

loquacius has issued a correction as of 15:56 on Jan 3, 2023

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I also liked how the villains in CoMC each, basically, had a different cardinal sin.

Danglars: greed
Fernand/Morcerf: envy
Villefort: pride (slash ambition I guess but that's just pride)
Caderousse: being a loving idiot

Mercedes gets one too -- cowardice. But that's not a Deadly Sin, and it didn't make her a prime mover in Dantes' misfortune, so she wasn't a revenge target, just collateral damage in Fernand's punishment, and Dantes even tempered his vengeance to spare her son because she asked nicely. I feel bad for her, and this was the intended reading.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

dumas was getting paid by the word and at some points you can really tell. don't think i ever finished it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The only chapter in the book that seemed totally extraneous, as in it didn't advance the plot in the moment, you don't find out later what the point is, and it doesn't add to anyone's characterization in any meaningful fashion, is the one where Dantes convinces Franz to do hashish with him and he takes a lot of convincing.

The fact that Dantes uses hashish never comes up again, and Franz is a tertiary character at most. We did not need thousands of words about them getting high together.

That said, though, a lot of chapters could have been a lot shorter, and the entire Franz-and-Albert-take-a-vacation-in-Rome subplot could have been like a tenth the length. That could have been one chapter rather than a whole act of the book where Dantes is a secondary character.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

McCloud posted:

yup. he isn’t bad looking in terms that he’d be someone you’d see randomly on a subway or shopping at Costco, but he’s rally not star attractive; however, that’s far less important than that he’s uncharismatic and has no real acting range besides 50 Shades of Constipated

then again I felt the same way about Matt Damon and they stuck in him in a bazillion lead roles in the 2000s so welp

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Renner would fit in a world war 2 movie about a bridge too far, first big breakout role! *ignoring avengers* send me a check later

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
never seen the rennman in action but he looks like he’d have made a decent hobbit

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Bit late to this but if you are looking for a good recent Ed Norton film, Motherless Brooklyn is great

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

loquacius posted:

The only chapter in the book that seemed totally extraneous, as in it didn't advance the plot in the moment, you don't find out later what the point is, and it doesn't add to anyone's characterization in any meaningful fashion, is the one where Dantes convinces Franz to do hashish with him and he takes a lot of convincing.

The fact that Dantes uses hashish never comes up again, and Franz is a tertiary character at most. We did not need thousands of words about them getting high together.

That said, though, a lot of chapters could have been a lot shorter, and the entire Franz-and-Albert-take-a-vacation-in-Rome subplot could have been like a tenth the length. That could have been one chapter rather than a whole act of the book where Dantes is a secondary character.

It may not surprise you that Dumas was a big fan of hashish. I think a lot of that part of the book is basically a travelogue. That said, you might still have some surprises in store.

The joke with Danglars at the end is apparebtly that the money he's left with is what he had earned more or less honestly, and he was also specifically subject to within an inch of the fate of Dantes' father; a slow death by starvation and despair. The Count's a massive drama queen like that. See also how with Morcerf he turns a moment of triumph into a personal disaster, and lets Villefort experience total betrayal from those close to him. It's also still funny how little he really had to do to make their lives unravel.

loquacius posted:

I also liked how the villains in CoMC each, basically, had a different cardinal sin.

Danglars: greed
Fernand/Morcerf: envy
Villefort: pride (slash ambition I guess but that's just pride)
Caderousse: being a loving idiot

Mercedes gets one too -- cowardice. But that's not a Deadly Sin, and it didn't make her a prime mover in Dantes' misfortune, so she wasn't a revenge target, just collateral damage in Fernand's punishment, and Dantes even tempered his vengeance to spare her son because she asked nicely. I feel bad for her, and this was the intended reading.

Caderousse is more on the lines of sloth, he had the opportunity to stop the plan before it started, and furthermore that to stop things from getting worse just by having a touch of backbone to resist the worst possible advice from hanging with terrible people, but he doesn't, and it ends up with him living mostly poorly and miserably, and then dying even moreso. I'm pretty sure a classic definition of sloth isn't just laziness and idleness, but refusing to use the brains God gave you and letting perfectly good talents and opportunities go to waste.

Like a lot of 'archetypal' things, Monte Cristo actually doesn't take its premise for granted like you'd expect and plays around with it. The whole Pyramus and Thisbe allusion isn't a coincidence; Maximillian and Valentine are pretty much Romeo and Juliet, caught up in a feud between their families (the Count pretty much having adopted his old boss's family for lack of his own) that to them is senseless and inexplicable. Actually kind of a theme there, with grandpa Nortier using it to her advantage to have her marriage called off because of HIS old feud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The trick is a shitload of neurotypical people have absolute garbage social skills as well, while being completely ignorant of it, and are quite often just as bad or worse at communicating clearly

Also a shitload of social problems come from how children, especially boys, are basically just not taught social skills. At all. Literally like My Little Pony episodes are the closest thing to structured and specific lessons about how to get along with people and communicate that they're ever going to get.

love a post that reveals tons about a poster and nothing about society.