Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’ve spent the past week in London and amid the hundreds of Teslas everywhere, I’ve also seen a handful of VW ID3s and drat do I wish they brought that to the US. Obviously I didn’t get a good look at the inside, but it looks like the perfect “small EV”

I guess the closest US comparison would be the Bolt, but personally I think the ID3 looks a million times better than the Bolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’ve spent the past week in London and amid the hundreds of Teslas everywhere, I’ve also seen a handful of VW ID3s and drat do I wish they brought that to the US. Obviously I didn’t get a good look at the inside, but it looks like the perfect “small EV”

I guess the closest US comparison would be the Bolt, but personally I think the ID3 looks a million times better than the Bolt.

That's the successor to the e-golf right? Looking at the specs the ID3 is pretty compelling if that 340 mile range on the touring trim is accurate. Too bad it's not stateside.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

drhankmccoyphd posted:

if that 340 mile range on the touring trim is accurate.

WLTP ranges are not accurate.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

bird with big dick posted:

WLTP ranges are not accurate.

Yeah for reference the WLTP range for the ID4 with a 77kWh battery is listed as 517km (321mi) and the EPA rated range for it is 275mi for the 82kWh battery in the rwd pro.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Any cleaning product recommendations for glossy consoles?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sandpaper could turn it into a nice matte surface

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Tortilla Maker posted:

I use a bottle of lcd tv cleaner(which is mostly isopropyl alcohol and a bit of scent) on every glossy plastic and they haven't melted(yet).

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Tortilla Maker posted:

Sprayway glass cleaner generally works well with that sort of thing.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Tortilla Maker posted:

Meguiar's Ultimate Interior Detailer works on fucken everything

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I know this sounds like a Trump "Sir" story but I swear to god this actually happened at Discount Tire:

Tire Guy: "Do you like your Mach-E?"
Me: "Yeah"
Tire Guy: "The interior is so much nicer than all the Teslas we get here."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

OldSenileGuy posted:

the interior has VW's kind of mediocre touchscreen interface, though by all accounts its gotten a lot better, and it has some dumb haptic controls, but otherwise the interior is very Normal

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Got an email from Ram saying they are revealing their ev truck Thursday at CES.

Think it will be a monstrosity?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Three Olives posted:

I know this sounds like a Trump "Sir" story but I swear to god this actually happened at Discount Tire:

Tire Guy: "Do you like your Mach-E?"
Me: "Yeah"
Tire Guy: "The interior is so much nicer than all the Teslas we get here."

I’ve gotten dudes in parking lots pull me aside over a Fiesta

car guys are gonna car guy, and I’m sure there’s gonna be people, prospective buyers/people who bought Tesla or Hyundai/possible naysayers/etc, curious about your Mach E for at least the next couple of years

Mach E is still quite a rare car on the street. Embrace it. There’s a fairly sizable middle-aged gay scene connected to car shows, if you want to turn it into an opportunity to socialize with the spouse

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Got an email from Ram saying they are revealing their ev truck Thursday at CES.

Think it will be a monstrosity?

It’ll be pretty similar to the F150 lightning but a RAM 1500 so it kind of depends on what your thoughts on modern half tons are.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
it’s gonna sound like poo poo, and you’re not gonna be able to turn it off, and they’re gonna be so proud of it

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Ok Comboomer posted:

it’s gonna sound like poo poo, and you’re not gonna be able to turn it off, and they’re gonna be so proud of it

Also have weird storage things in the truck bed sides they will come up with a weirder name for than “frunk”

Sunk? Stunk?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Ok Comboomer posted:

Lol this is what I was thinking about - that charger ev with the air ducts that make it sound annoying

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’ve gotten dudes in parking lots pull me aside over a Fiesta

car guys are gonna car guy, and I’m sure there’s gonna be people, prospective buyers/people who bought Tesla or Hyundai/possible naysayers/etc, curious about your Mach E for at least the next couple of years

Mach E is still quite a rare car on the street. Embrace it. There’s a fairly sizable middle-aged gay scene connected to car shows, if you want to turn it into an opportunity to socialize with the spouse

My point is, I was surprised that someone not in the market for a Tesla instantly went to poo poo on the interior quality of Teslas unprompted, that apparently is their reputation with like 20 year old car guys. Which I agree with, it just surprised me.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 4, 2023

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’ve gotten dudes in parking lots to pull me off in a Fiesta

:same:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

My point is, I was surprised that someone not in the market for a Tesla instantly went to poo poo on the interior quality of Teslas unprompted, that apparently their reputation with like 20 year old car guys. Which I agree with, it just surprised me.

A lot of valets and detailers have commented on it. Every once in a while one of them goes lowkey viral on Tiktok dunking on it.

Teslas are big doctor cars (lol Elon, they’re gonna love that you’re mask-off antivax now), so pretty much every valet and detailer has worked with loads of them.

Also, at least up north I see plenty of Model 3/S being driven by the kinds of young dudes you might otherwise expect to be driving Infinitis or 3 Series, a few with aesthetic mods/wraps/etc.

At this point they’re pretty established in the “desirable car for a young guy who might read a magazine about car stereos” category

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I get out of the Fiesta. Please.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I drove a Model 3 the other day. Can’t get over how useless that rear view mirror is. That coupled with the low seat made me feel pretty unaware about what was going on outside. Maybe it just takes some getting used to.

I did love the sensors that tell you how far you are from the edge. Makes parallel parking way less stressful. Also helped me grapple with the unfamiliar width of the car. Maybe the info would be better on a HUD, though. I spent too much time looking at the big dumb screen.

Overall I thought it was a decent ride but no way I’d trade up from my Kona to it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

A lot of valets and detailers have commented on it. Every once in a while one of them goes lowkey viral on Tiktok dunking on it.

Teslas are big doctor cars (lol Elon, they’re gonna love that you’re mask-off antivax now), so pretty much every valet and detailer has worked with loads of them.

Also, at least up north I see plenty of Model 3/S being driven by the kinds of young dudes you might otherwise expect to be driving Infinitis or 3 Series, a few with aesthetic mods/wraps/etc.

At this point they’re pretty established in the “desirable car for a young guy who might read a magazine about car stereos” category

No, I live in an upper-middle class neighborhood full of young professionals, <15 minutes from multiple major hospitals, it's crawling with doctors/nurses/Teslas, there was actually a Tesla there when I showed up.

I just thought Teslas were still pretty cool with younger car people that couldn't afford them so I was just surprised when he was immediately like, oh, your car doesn't suck like Teslas. But yeah, car dude, he wanted to know all about how it handled, how fast it was, what was the fastest I had ever driven in it, dude, I'm like a middle aged accountant, maybe 12 over if I wasn't paying attention, no, really.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

priznat posted:

Also have weird storage things in the truck bed sides they will come up with a weirder name for than “frunk”

Sunk? Stunk?

Oh man those stupid things have panel lid alignment issues that put Teslas to shame

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Oh man those stupid things have panel lid alignment issues that put Teslas to shame

Remember the blatant product placement for those in that Sarah Conner terminator tv show showing off the side storage thingies.. Looked dumb even then.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Eh the side storage thingies provide a reasonable amount of closed locked storage in a vehicle type that generally doesn’t have much of that. Pretty clever use of space. Much better place to keep a long gun than a rack on the back of the cab.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Some news on the ID7. Seems like an uglier Passat, on sale in 2024. The Ionoiq 6 will be out by then presumably?

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/01/volkswagens-new-id-7-electric-sedan-is-revealed-at-ces/

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Some news on the ID7. Seems like an uglier Passat, on sale in 2024. The Ionoiq 6 will be out by then presumably?

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/01/volkswagens-new-id-7-electric-sedan-is-revealed-at-ces/

It should be a cheaper A6 e-tron by the looks of it. That camo makes pretty much impossible to judge sizes/shapes tho.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

At first glance it looks fairly ugly, but looking at the beltline I think they've put the camouflage a bit up the window? With more normal proportions it could be nice and not yet another suv-ish bodge like the maché

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
God glossy black plastic in cars needs to die. Why is it everywhere in the EV6? Why is it on the loving doorhandles? Who thought that was a good idea?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

1. Cheap

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shai-Hulud posted:

Who thought that was a good idea?

Designers that think that iPhones and tablets (which are glossy black when turned off) is the best aesthetic option. The fact that it's far cheaper than proper materials makes it easy to sell to management.

Edit:

Our lovely germans at autogef have just released a video on the ID7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLmkjTvpjMc

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 4, 2023

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

SlowBloke posted:

Designers that think that iPhones and tablets (which are glossy black when turned off) is the best aesthetic option. The fact that it's far cheaper than proper materials makes it easy to sell to management.

Edit:

Our lovely germans at autogef have just released a video on the ID7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLmkjTvpjMc

"Also available as an estate"?

Probably not in the US :negative:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Three Olives posted:

how fast it was

did you answer honestly and tell him it was a turd

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

knox_harrington posted:

At first glance it looks fairly ugly, but looking at the beltline I think they've put the camouflage a bit up the window?

Doesn't look like it.

and there's a higher rest of the other pic where it looks like you can see a window trim crease right below the window:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Eh the side storage thingies provide a reasonable amount of closed locked storage in a vehicle type that generally doesn’t have much of that. Pretty clever use of space. Much better place to keep a long gun than a rack on the back of the cab.

I’d like the idea better if they used empty space in the body instead of eating into the bed. And also didn’t all get misaligned so they stick out like a bad Tupperware lid. The Rivian’s corpse tunnel is an excellent idea imo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

Doesn't look like it.

and there's a higher rest of the other pic where it looks like you can see a window trim crease right below the window:

It looks bloated and I don't like that wavy body line just below the beltline.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I am going to go test drive a 2019 Jaguar i-Pace on Saturday morning.

Will report back on my thoughts.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Sagebrush posted:

It looks bloated and I don't like that wavy body line just below the beltline.

The wavy body line looks to me like they wanted to do a muscle car look but couldn't commit to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

I unironically love this weird little orb.

It would be motivation to keep the center console clean too so it wouldn’t get jammed on a stack of napkins spilling out of the cupholder.

Also lol thread title

By most accounts, the GV60 is the worst value, and possibly the weakest all together of the eGMP vehicles.

But here I am, considering a drive up to Seattle so that I may touch orb.