Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If I was one of the catering staff, I know for sure I would have unplugged every single fridge and freezer.
I don't know that they have much left. Kitchen heavy equipment is in the stuff they're auctioning off: https://bid.hgpauction.com/auctions/8421/herita10194?orderBy=sequenceNumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Kayla
Dec 27, 2008
Twitter owes my employer money and I am not expecting us to ever get it no matter how many emails management asks us to send threatening collections. What will collections agencies pay for that kind of debt, anyway? They won't be able to get it, either, not until bankruptcy court and only maybe then.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Commissar Kayla posted:

Twitter owes my employer money and I am not expecting us to ever get it no matter how many emails management asks us to send threatening collections. What will collections agencies pay for that kind of debt, anyway? They won't be able to get it, either, not until bankruptcy court and only maybe then.

Twitter is far from judgment proof, you get a judgment you can enforce it. If they don’t pay you show up with a sheriff and start seizing poo poo.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah its one thing skipping out on big bank loans and its another trying to dodge the monthly payments on a real property lease. like who else's poo poo is in my building right now

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Mister Facetious posted:

You don't need to play video games to have a good reason for a discord, setting one up as a business/club/influencer/employee conference room/etc., whether open or private, is brain-dead easy. If you have a large extended family that isn't horribly dysfunctional, estranged, and nobody rememberers who lives where, and you want everyone to stay in contact with each other, it's more efficient than Facebook.
You can basically create your own private bubble, with absolute control over what you want your posting rules to be; assign mods, sub-divide members into cliques, all kinds of neat stuff. If you want to probate/ban assholes well think they can skirt the letter of your rules while violating their spirit, you don't have to put up with that bullshit; hit em with the hammer.

I think at some point you gotta sit back and look at the big picture, at human behavior in general. It's obvious the majority want software to be about specific tasks and want to follow trends. No software will ever be the be-all end-all program for any particular task, not because we don't technically have some of them, but because human desire is fickle.

I used to argue this same song and dance back when ventrillo was replaced with mumble, and then others took up the mantle when mumble was replaced with discord. Complaining about who is or isn't using the right software is an eternal debate with no end.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

yeah its one thing skipping out on big bank loans and its another trying to dodge the monthly payments on a real property lease. like who else's poo poo is in my building right now

everyones once the janitors got fired lol

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Mega Comrade posted:

Bitwarden also does this though?

ive never gotten it to work :shrug:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Under keyboard and input method there is a auto fill service, that needs to be set to bitwarden (or whatever PW manager you use)

It prompts you to do this at install.

Then it just appears above the keyboard

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jira can be great.

Jira can also be a massive timesink where keeping Jira up to date takes more time than actually doing the tasks. It can also lead to people wanting/expecting all the info about tasks to be on Jira, which is a terrible system since the ability to search completed tickets is awful by design.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Jira worming it’s way into everything is pretty core to the business model since it’s an enterprise saas app. I bet we’ll see some interesting new competitors now that we’re out of a perma bull market and IT budgets are slashed everywhere. There might finally be some interesting ideas if everyone stops trying to be loving salesforce.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
https://twitter.com/lindberghbabyy/status/1608021725010186240

Saw this in the CSPAM thread. Apparently it's one of those first-month-free recurring monthly charge scams they make hard to cancel, which would work well on people with depression.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I loving love Instagram ads. 75% of the times I don’t even know what the gently caress they’re selling but I love it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Two more companies have entered the layoff fray: Salesforce says it's cutting approximately 10 percent of its workforce (so about 8,000 people, give or take) and reducing its real estate footprint, and Vimeo is eliminating 11 percent of its employee base--largely in the sales and R&D departments--after cutting 6 percent of its workforce last summer.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Vimeo has employees? I thought the whole thing was just a scam.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Kwyndig posted:

Vimeo has employees? I thought the whole thing was just a scam.

I'm not sure what company you're thinking of, because Vimeo is real and has been around a long time. They offered HD and larger file sizes back when Youtube was still pegged to 100MB, 10 minutes, and 480p. IIRC, they still deliver content in higher bitrates.

Their big things now are serving as a marketplace for VOD content and offering a white label streaming platform.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1610784500287680512

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Baronash posted:

I'm not sure what company you're thinking of, because Vimeo is real and has been around a long time. They offered HD and larger file sizes back when Youtube was still pegged to 100MB, 10 minutes, and 480p. IIRC, they still deliver content in higher bitrates.

Their big things now are serving as a marketplace for VOD content and offering a white label streaming platform.

Pretty sure disc golf network used vimeo and it a was horrible player

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Twitter has employees?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

If coffee and snacks got mentioned in the email then they were debated in the meeting and someone talked Elon into waiting until next quarter to cut those.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
how do meal allowances still exist when musk fired food service and started a kitchen equipment firesale as one of the first things in week 1 or 2?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Video of Tesla's "full self driving" being really bad at snow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_swe1pXXgNo&t=63s

Every time he lets go of the wheel so the software can take over it starts gunning for the curb

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

To be honest I can’t imagine it’ll ever reach a state where driving in snow can be a truly handsfree activity. The human eye struggles to distinguish snow from things. The real problem is the car allowing autopilot to turn on in such conditions.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
even just cruise control can be extremely dangerous in snow or heavy rain

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Based on a recent knuckle-drive home (mostly went 20 MPH on a 7 mile stretch that I rarely go below 50) in an awful snow storm, am I crazy in thinking the radar-type detection that Musk derides could do better? Or do gales of snow pretty much disable any known technology from detecting curbs/ditches?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Radar and Lidar are extremely useful in bad weather to help you not drive into something changing lanes

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cheesus posted:

Based on a recent knuckle-drive home (mostly went 20 MPH on a 7 mile stretch that I rarely go below 50) in an awful snow storm, am I crazy in thinking the radar-type detection that Musk derides could do better? Or do gales of snow pretty much disable any known technology from detecting curbs/ditches?

It depends on the design. In practice, the parking sensors on the front of my Golf freak the gently caress out every time snow gets stuck to them, which is every time there's a large amount of snow on the road. I think at a certain point it will automatically disable the system but there's a point at which, every time you slow down, "HOLY gently caress THERE'S SOMETHING 1mm AWAY, YOU'LL SURELY HIT IT!"

The other thing that's going to be tricky about getting snow-driving correct is that plows do odd things, and a lot of times the clearing of "a lane" won't match up perfectly will the lines painted on the road. You and I know how to handle that situation based on observing the drivers around us and reasoning about what everyone's doing. An automated system is not going to do well at that.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cheesus posted:

radar would be more effective than lidar, and both more effective than optical processing. humans get away with optical processing because we also understand concepts like snowy weather and how other people are likely to drive in it, which is practically magic from a computer perspective. really though bad weather is dangerous all around unless you have a guiderail to hold on to

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Baronash posted:

Yeah, all those niche video subscription sites like Criterion Channel, Arrow Video, MST3k, etc are all running on Vimeo's streaming platform. You can tell when a site is using it because they all have that same layout for the videos.

PhazonLink posted:

how do meal allowances still exist when musk fired food service and started a kitchen equipment firesale as one of the first things in week 1 or 2?

When he fired the lunch staff, he switched to giving a meal allowance that was less than what any meal nearby cost.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Look the easiest Solution for the "snow" problem is just remove the snow form the equation. Some sort of automated flame thrower on the front of the car should be able to do this reasonably acceptably for about the needed twenty of or so foot in front.

Look honestly this is such a simple solution I'm not sure why it isn't already the standard!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
You could make something go on a guided rail, with giant fans and plowers in front that keep the road that has those "rails " clear and people could board a bunch pof long cars on the rails to take them along.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
No need to deal with snow or bad weather or children in the tunnels elon will dig under all of our roads/highways. Tunnels are the future. Narrow tunnels with single-occupancy cars in them.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
California/Texas doesnt have snow, why would hot state engineers care about snow?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Celexi posted:

You could make something go on a guided rail, with giant fans and plowers in front that keep the road that has those "rails " clear and people could board a bunch pof long cars on the rails to take them along.

While you're solution seems like it is "practical" and would "work efficiently and as intended". I feel like it may be better to go in a different direction with this.

Nebrilos posted:

No need to deal with snow or bad weather or children in the tunnels elon will dig under all of our roads/highways. Tunnels are the future. Narrow tunnels with single-occupancy cars in them.

Now here's an idea! Can the cars still have flamethrowers? AKA "Mobile projected combustion lanterns"

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

PhazonLink posted:

California/Texas doesnt have snow, why would hot state engineers care about snow?

200+ inches of snow so far this season says they don’t even have this excuse

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's pretty wild that "self driving" exists as a beta feature that people can just turn on without any need to get consent from people around them and use to make YouTube content

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yeah it's almost like this garbage should have needed to go through regulatory approval before it started killing or endangering people, but just like letting cryptocurrency scams run out in the wild unchecked for years, we wouldn't want to stifle """innovation""" now would we.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

duz posted:

When he fired the lunch staff, he switched to giving a meal allowance that was less than what any meal nearby cost.

I wonder if it was more than it cost to just keep the lunch staff on board even without counting extra productivity from people taking a shorter lunch in office. In office lunch is a nice perk but a lot of places offer it because if people are taking 30-45 minutes (or less) for lunch instead of a 1 hour lunch then the company's getting some extra work out of it with can further offset the expense for them which still being a net positive for employees who don't need to go out and find a place to buy their own lunch.

PhazonLink posted:

California/Texas doesnt have snow

:thunk:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mercury_Storm posted:

Yeah it's almost like this garbage should have needed to go through regulatory approval before it started killing or endangering people, but just like letting cryptocurrency scams run out in the wild unchecked for years, we wouldn't want to stifle """innovation""" now would we.

people often have a very idealistic/optimistic view of how regulation works and then they get mad at reality for failing to live up to the standards in their imaginations. or they get mad about some nebulous person who should have been in control of this thing, who didn't actually control the thing as required - did this person ever exist or do we all have an inner karen demanding to speak with some kind of manager who should have prevented this exact annoyance from happening in some way?

its fine and all to demand better but it's not great to set yourself up to be mad all the time about things you have no control or power over, especially now that everyone carries a Portal of Psychic/Emotional Damage +2 around in their pocket all the time and are compelled to stare into it to make themselves feel rotten on demand

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
like, keep in mind that murder has been regulated for centuries and yet people keep doing it, despite the fact that it is illegal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
what exactly is your point here beyond "there is not adequate or existing regulation", and "bad guy do crimes despite laws"