Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Humphreys posted:

Call me old but I don't even use the cruise control on my car. Drive to the conditions, don't drive tired, don't rely on technology so you can be a dickhead and play with your phone on the freeway.
I was like this till I drove something with actually useful cruise control.

You want to talk about not driving tired, radar cruise control takes a huge load off your driving calculus brain centers. Massive difference in how I feel after a long days drive. Non cruise brain needs to think about : what pedal position for my cruise speed, what pedal position when car in front get closer, what pedal position to pass or clear dangerous drivers, is car in front getting closer, am I able to pass yet etc. Radar cruise control is just set it and occasionally give it some gas to pass or brake for congestion. You're still driving the whole time so those latter events aren't going to surprise you. In fact with your pedal calculus brain freed from figuring out control inputs you have that much more brain capacity for defensive cataloguing the cars around you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

I was like this till I drove something with actually useful cruise control.

You want to talk about not driving tired, radar cruise control takes a huge load off your driving calculus brain centers. Massive difference in how I feel after a long days drive. Non cruise brain needs to think about : what pedal position for my cruise speed, what pedal position when car in front get closer, what pedal position to pass or clear dangerous drivers, is car in front getting closer, am I able to pass yet etc. Radar cruise control is just set it and occasionally give it some gas to pass or brake for congestion. You're still driving the whole time so those latter events aren't going to surprise you. In fact with your pedal calculus brain freed from figuring out control inputs you have that much more brain capacity for defensive cataloguing the cars around you.

Yea, RCC is amazing for long drives or highways. I have it set to stay back farther, so occasionally it will slow down a little too much when someone is pulling off the road, but otherwise, it does a great job.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

It couldn't be a sign that you follow too closely. I think that's what Tesla's aggressive/assertive presets are for and look at their sterling safety record.

There’s a following distance that communicates “I have no desire to pass you even though you are going 70 in the passing line of a 75mph road and I am completely content to sit here all day while other cars take the opportunity to jump into the space between your car and mine so that they can now also sit there going 70 in the passing lane of a 75mph road.”

That is the shortest distance you can set adaptive cruise control to follow at.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Humphreys posted:

Call me old but I don't even use the cruise control on my car. Drive to the conditions, don't drive tired, don't rely on technology so you can be a dickhead and play with your phone on the freeway.

:corsair: :corsair:
(I actually use cruise control on long drives, though)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Handrails are for the weak.

Also:

"Who tracked dog crap onto the kitchen counter again."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I was reading about stunts in Bond films and :stare:

quote:

Aerial Unit Cameraman John Jordan, who had to have a leg amputated after an accident during the filming of You Only Live Twice, developed a special helicopter harness for filming the amazing aerial shots of the mountain slopes and action sequences in OHMSS, hanging eighteen feet below the helicopter from a large round metal support apparatus. However, his daredevil approach to work would literally be the death of him, as, in his next job, he died while filming Catch-22 in 1969 over the Gulf of Mexico when another plane passed close by. He was sucked out of the open doorway and fell 2,000 feet, always having refused to wear a safety harness.
https://therealchrisparkle.com/2019/08/09/the-james-bond-challenge-on-her-majestys-secret-service-1969/

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Nenonen posted:

always having refused to wear a safety harness

what a dumbass

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Humphreys posted:

If you're just cruising on the freeway, use your cruise control. That's literally what it's there for. If you're not trying to beat the flow of traffic just set it and hold a consistent speed.

No matter how good of a driver you are or think you are, your speed "at cruise" likely yo-yos a lot more than it would with cruise on, which then makes things worse for everyone else who doesn't have adaptive cruise.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Go at least 5 miles over, put your cruise there, scream at anyone going slower than you because they're slowing you down and anyone going faster than you because they're loving maniacs.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yes but how will that stop some jerk from merging in front of me. IT'S MY LANE, I EARNED IT!

On my drive in this morning I have to change lanes pretty quickly to make the turn lane I need and more often then not when someone sees my blinker they speed up trying to not let me over. It happened again this morning and the rear end in a top hat driving the brodozer tailgated me and layed on his horn.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I used cruise control when I'm driving with drugs or something in the car and want to make absolutely certain I don't speed.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

CainFortea posted:

On my drive in this morning I have to change lanes pretty quickly to make the turn lane I need and more often then not when someone sees my blinker they speed up trying to not let me over. It happened again this morning and the rear end in a top hat driving the brodozer tailgated me and layed on his horn.

You made him mad so you won though.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

Go at least 5 miles over, put your cruise there, scream at anyone going slower than you because they're slowing you down and anyone going faster than you because they're loving maniacs.

This is the way.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Sic semper autoradeae

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

LifeSunDeath posted:

I used cruise control when I'm driving with drugs or something in the car and want to make absolutely certain I don't speed.

One crime at a time :hmmyes:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

wolrah posted:

No matter how good of a driver you are or think you are, your speed "at cruise" likely yo-yos a lot more than it would with cruise on, which then makes things worse for everyone else who doesn't have adaptive cruise.

I know for sure it does when I got up and down hills. Unless there's someone around me, I don't see much point in burning the extra gas.

I actually had a rental who's cruise would do that. It would drop like 5 mph up a hill before it would accelerate.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Does adaptive cruise use gps to see topographic changes and pre-accelerate for hills?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Uthor posted:

I know for sure it does when I got up and down hills. Unless there's someone around me, I don't see much point in burning the extra gas.

Oh God you're the rear end in a top hat who goes slow up the hills and then flies past on the downhill so you're constantly passing me and then forcing me to pass because you can't maintain your speed.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Does adaptive cruise use gps to see topographic changes and pre-accelerate for hills?

no

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

LifeSunDeath posted:

what a dumbass

It's also likely that the whole shoot would have been unused anyway!

quote:

Paramount planned to film the Catch-22 aerial sequences for six weeks but the production required three months to shoot; the bombers flew a total of about 1,500 hours and appeared on-screen for 12 minutes.

The B-25s in Catch-22 were operated by Tallmantz Aviation, founded by stunt pilots Tallman and Mantz. During the making of The Flight of the Phoenix Tallman injured his leg at home, which had to be amputated later, so Mantz replaced him and died in crash.

quote:

Mantz was killed in 1965 while flying a cobbled-together aircraft, the Tallmantz Phoenix P-1, designed with the assistance of Otto Timm, representing the fictional type built by oil explorers of pieces of their crashed Fairchild C-82 Packet downed in the North African desert in The Flight of the Phoenix (1965).

Tallman injured his leg in a go-cart accident with his small son in the driveway of their home, which meant Mantz had to fly the Phoenix. Tallman was hospitalized. Infection set in and most of the leg was amputated. Tallman taught himself to fly with one leg, reportedly preferring to fly some planes without the prosthetic leg he used for walking. As an amputee, he eventually regained his airman medical certificate and ratings in propeller multi- and single-engine, jet, and rotary aircraft.

These people were absolutely mad.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

What number catch is it when you have to be crazy to be in a certain profession and being sane precludes you from participating?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

On the highway I just set my cruise control to 5 over and let everyone else race by. It's really noticeable when you find some moron who isn't using their cruise though, and they speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down while you keep the same speed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
the very first automobiles were designed to run in "cruise control" all the time.

the model T, for instance, had a hand throttle, and the floor pedals were for the brake and selecting the gears. it was designed so that you could get up to speed and release all the pedals and set the throttle and it would cruise along in high gear and all you had to do was steer.

cruise control is just bringing back this original proper way to drive.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
who could've known talking about cruise control or driving would cause a stupid loving derail?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I've got a 2014 Legacy from before the era of any kind of smart driving assistance and I don't find classic cruise control terribly useful. I'm not against it, but in practice if there's any other cars on the road I have to constantly adjust my speed to account for them and fiddling with the settings quickly becomes more work than just driving the car normally. If I had an adaptive cruise control that could maintain a following distance I'd be more interested.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Atticus_1354 posted:

Oh God you're the rear end in a top hat who goes slow up the hills and then flies past on the downhill so you're constantly passing me and then forcing me to pass because you can't maintain your speed.

Sup frustrated cruise control buddy.

I wish everyone on the highway would use cruise control and just pick a speed. I don't care if you're going faster or slower than I am, just make a decision so I can pass or be passed without any frustration.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

the very first automobiles were designed to run in "cruise control" all the time.

the model T, for instance, had a hand throttle, and the floor pedals were for the brake and selecting the gears. it was designed so that you could get up to speed and release all the pedals and set the throttle and it would cruise along in high gear and all you had to do was steer.

cruise control is just bringing back this original proper way to drive.

My grandfather drove his Model T all the way into the 70s. It didn't have a key so whenever he parked it somewhere he would push the throttle all the way over so the engine would try to crank in reverse if someone else tried starting it.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

weg posted:

Sup frustrated cruise control buddy.

I wish everyone on the highway would use cruise control and just pick a speed. I don't care if you're going faster or slower than I am, just make a decision so I can pass or be passed without any frustration.

I used to be like this, then I got adaptive cruise and now I don't care. There's a point at which you have to stop wishing for people not to be idiots - it's not gonna happen, they're all morons, and the faster you accept that the faster you can deal with the outcome and be a more relaxed person.

I became a Comma user last year and their tagline of "Make driving chill" is pretty goddamn accurate - I've done 12-16 hour drives with it and felt pretty relaxed at the end. As someone pointed out, the brain attention required to CONSTANTLY be adjusting speed, wheel direction, judging distance to next car, etc., is in fact really tiring and we don't necessarily realize it because we've always driven that way, but once you're freed from managing those all the time you can pay more attention to your overall situation, any potential dangers, etc. You're not taking a nap and ignoring the road, it's more like you're captaining a ship and the helmsman is doing the minutiae of second-to-second driving while you're overseeing the entire traveling experience. Not for everyone and it takes some time to get used to (and depending on the car manufacturer Comma has less or more integration so for instance it can't control the gas and brake fully in Hondas and it's limited by Honda on how sharply it can turn the wheel, whereas Toyotas it has much more control and can handle much sharper curves), but it's a shitload better than any factory LKA / ACC system I've used (Chevy, Toyota, Honda, Subaru). Which, I mean, it better loving be for the expense, it is NOT cheap.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Scholtz posted:

What number catch is it when you have to be crazy to be in a certain profession and being sane precludes you from participating?

This is Catch-22 backwards, which is still Catch-22

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I don't like cruise control, adaptive or not, and I can't stand lane assist other than the old one in Chevrolets that just tickled your butt.

I will die on this mildly kinky hill.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:stare:

https://twitter.com/fuckedupfoods/status/1610108610159251458?s=20&t=Ym4pyOQYS71uHtV3DaO_iw

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Why is it reversed?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
wow, this hot sauce is fire!

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
What's with the guys with machine guns hanging around the Hot Mouth food stand?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Every innovation that makes it easier for people to drive makes the world worse. Driving should be terrifying. You should never relax while operating heavy machinery.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

My grandfather drove his Model T all the way into the 70s. It didn't have a key so whenever he parked it somewhere he would push the throttle all the way over so the engine would try to crank in reverse if someone else tried starting it.

That would be the timing lever actually. Old engines didn't have automatic spark advancers, so as the engine sped up, you would also have to manually set the spark timing (exactly when in the cycle it fires) for proper combustion. On the model T this was indeed an extra lever behind the steering wheel, and if you set it to maximum advance it would certainly cause the engine to (try to) run backwards on ignition. :eng101:

I met a guy once who had worked at the Henry Ford museum and he would sometimes drive visitors around in a Model T. He said that he'd regularly get cocky guys bugging him to let them drive the car. He'd always say "sure, swap in," shut the engine off, and let them sit in the driver's seat, then bask in their confusion as they realized the only control that works like a modern car is the steering wheel.

https://www.fordmodelt.net/m/how-to-drive.htm

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 3, 2023

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

:ssh: Tesla’s adaptive cruise control + lane keeping makes some adjustments for corners and elevation changes via the camera system. It’s not perfect, but it requires less intervention than my Ford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

ewww gross