Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Why are you fasting for 3 days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Had last week off while my wife worked to watch the kids (had a company shutdown anyway, did not need to use PTO). Now my wife took this week off to watch the kids since they do not go back to school until the 10th. I always forget how long it takes to get ready in the morning without kids. I can wake up 30 minutes later, putter around on the computer for an hour, and still get to work at the same time.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna try dry January again this year. I've been a goblin since Thanksgiving and the way I feel matches that. Just sluggish and fat and gross feeling.

I say that last year but it was more like Dry Ja because I only lasted a week or so

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

I say that last year but it was more like Dry Ja because I only lasted a week or so

Damp January

Dampuary

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

Damp January

Dampuary

That's better than mine

Also lol how are you feeling this morning

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I did dry January last year. This year one of our friends is working on becoming a personal trainer, so we are attempting some challenge with her where drinking just deducts points. Since I'm competitive and working against a couple other insanely competitive people, I'd imagine it'll be dry until Valentine's Day.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

That's better than mine

Also lol how are you feeling this morning

That was the worst goddamn night of my life

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

I did dry January last year. This year one of our friends is working on becoming a personal trainer, so we are attempting some challenge with her where drinking just deducts points. Since I'm competitive and working against a couple other insanely competitive people, I'd imagine it'll be dry until Valentine's Day.

Ooh that sounds interesting because I want to get back on my workout schedule too. Is that something you can share? Understood if not because it's a work thing for her that she'll get paid for.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

That was the worst goddamn night of my life

I can't even imagine

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Good luck with your fast Horse Dong 3 days is a solid one. You will feel great after.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

Ooh that sounds interesting because I want to get back on my workout schedule too. Is that something you can share? Understood if not because it's a work thing for her that she'll get paid for.

quote:

New Habits Challenge:
-Shorten length to 6 weeks, so Jan 1st - Feb 12th.
-Up to 4 points a week earned for lifting (body weight included) workouts, minimum 20 minutes.
-Up to 4 points a week earned for cardio (walking, running, HIIT, etc), minimum of 20 minutes.
-1 point per day if you hit 80% of your body weight in grams of protein.
-1 point per day when you get an average of 8,000 steps in per day over the course of the week (cardio can help with this).
-negative 1 point per alcoholic drink.

We all chipped in 20 bucks. Winner takes the pot. It's just an extended friend group and we mostly all have Apple Watches, which makes it pretty easy. It's a take on some 75 Hard bullshit that no one in their right mind should do.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Love it, thanks for sharing. Gonna see if I can get my friends to do it too. We may change the numbers around a little bit though

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

No Butt Stuff posted:

You should ask Ben Shapiro's wife for tips dealing with the dryness

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I have come down with a terrible sinus and ear infection combo and I hate it. My face hurts and my ears hurt and my throat hurts. Plus I'm back to work today but at least I can be at home to wallow in my misery.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tesla's down almost 15% so far today.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/nbcnews/status/1610337304526077953?s=46&t=Sr-c3JejHhxhCRpkqBsh4A

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Lmao. All McCarthys eventually fail.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm gonna do dry January, then try to hold off on drinking through Lent, so... no drinking till April. I did it last year, and the year prior.

My heart rate drops significantly during this time, and yeah I generally just feel a lot better. It's weird how that works.

Also, I'm getting married this year ahhhhh

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Moving away from my old drinking buddies killed my beer consumption. Probably average two a month often going months without.

Though I'm not wholly without vice. Ever since my wife got pregnant ice cream has been a staple in the house and I have indulged. Probably should do some sweets equivalent of dry January.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I'm gonna do dry January, then try to hold off on drinking through Lent, so... no drinking till April. I did it last year, and the year prior.

My heart rate drops significantly during this time, and yeah I generally just feel a lot better. It's weird how that works.

Also, I'm getting married this year ahhhhh

The heart stuff is fascinating to be honest. My BPM during sleep (the only time I track) goes up at least 10 on nights I get drunk. Breath rate is also higher on drunk nights.

Maybe the weirdest thing is how different beer tastes now. I can taste the alcohol more and it's nowhere near as pleasant as it used to be. And that's coming from someone who loved beer before I quit for a while.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Does fasting include abstaining from caffeinated dranks?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I quit drinking altogether a couple months back. Found myself drinking daily for no apparent reason and generally had a poor relationship with it. It's a bummer to recognize that you aren't in control of something but I'm quitting for good and we will see how rawdogging reality goes.

I also bought a graphing calculator for school this morning and I feel very much like a loving teenager suddenly. It's very bizarre.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

LeeMajors posted:

I also bought a graphing calculator for school this morning and I feel very much like a loving teenager suddenly. It's very bizarre.
Complete the experience by playing Drug Wars on it

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

Complete the experience by playing Drug Wars on it

I want to finish my bachelors this time

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Haven’t been drunk in months. Kids will do that to ya I guess. I don’t miss it nearly as much as I thought I would and the slight weight loss (it was mostly offset by holiday food) has been nice.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

The Big Jesus posted:

Haven’t been drunk in months. Kids will do that to ya I guess. I don’t miss it nearly as much as I thought I would and the slight weight loss (it was mostly offset by holiday food) has been nice.

i get drunk like, once a year. i have a drink at home maybe twice a month, if that? will have a few beers socially but generally just don't drink all that much. idk, i much prefer smoking some weed to wind down in the evenings.

i had a year or two span a decade ago where i'd have like, a beer and instantly feel splitting head hungover. so i think never knowing if that will happen really kicked off not drinking much. thankfully doesn't really happen anymore so I can enjoy a few social drinks.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I'm not totally abstaining but a few months ago I stopped drinking red wine every night at dinnertime. I feel better, have been saving money, and it was an easier habit to break than I had expected. Working out after work is a good substitute and makes me want to avoid alcohol anyway.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Driving on I-70 through Kansas is sensory assault

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Neil Armbong posted:

i get drunk like, once a year. i have a drink at home maybe twice a month, if that? will have a few beers socially but generally just don't drink all that much. idk, i much prefer smoking some weed to wind down in the evenings.

i had a year or two span a decade ago where i'd have like, a beer and instantly feel splitting head hungover. so i think never knowing if that will happen really kicked off not drinking much. thankfully doesn't really happen anymore so I can enjoy a few social drinks.

Every once in a while when I think oh I don't have an alcoholism problem compared to like, Ireland, I read something like this and realize that most people don't get fully drunk at least once a week

Freaquency posted:

Driving on I-70 through Kansas is sensory assault

The flint hills are okay? Otherwise yep. Just awful until you see Pike's Peak

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I quit drinking altogether a couple months back. Found myself drinking daily for no apparent reason and generally had a poor relationship with it. It's a bummer to recognize that you aren't in control of something but I'm quitting for good and we will see how rawdogging reality goes.

You're a beer drinker, right? Check out Athletic Brewing's line of NA beers. They absolutely scratch the beer itch for me. They were crucial for cravings when I first decided to stop drinking.

e: whoops I re-read your post after I quoted it and you've already been at it a few months. Leaving my post for any beer drinkers though.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

kiimo posted:

The flint hills are okay? Otherwise yep. Just awful until you see Pike's Peak

Yeah the Flint Hills are nice. The constant wind , and the noise, and the oppressive sun though…

We planned this leg to kick off from KC because last year we did both Missouri and Kansas on the last day and I felt like I had aged 10 years by the time we got home. 12 hours of this is just too much to withstand.

Dango Bango posted:

You're a beer drinker, right? Check out Athletic Brewing's line of NA beers. They absolutely scratch the beer itch for me. They were crucial for cravings when I first decided to stop drinking.

e: whoops I re-read your post after I quoted it and you've already been at it a few months. Leaving my post for any beer drinkers though.

Athletic is the best NA beer I’ve ever had. I keep a couple of sixers around for when I feel like having a drink but don’t want the alcohol. Some of them you can legitimately forget that it’s NA until you’re two-thirds through it and aren’t feeling anything.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dango Bango posted:

Yeah I was a big craft beer dad, homebrewer etc.

I’m conflicted about NA beer because it sort of leans back into the habit and the calories without the alcohol, so I haven’t decided if I’m ok with that yet or if it will make cravings appear. I haven’t honestly had many cravings yet and I’ve been drinking Mineragua and Topo Chico like it’s going out of style.

Thanks for the recommendation though. That may be something I pull out for parties or something once I’ve gotten like a year in or so. We will see.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I went half-crazy when I got sober almost fourteen years ago. Candy saved my life (because my brain and body were craving the sugar).

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/sarahgroh/status/1610323954673094657

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t have a problem with drinking except feeling like poo poo for a day or two afterwards. I’m a happy drunk and don’t do dumb poo poo. It’s just in the days afterwards I just feel like garbage and i consistently feel heavy and sluggish if I’m also drinking consistently.

Sports might be a trigger for me because during the week if nothings going on I won’t drink or if I do it’s a single glass of wine. But when I’m watching sports I drink like a frat boy.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Cool challenge you got there, No Butt Stuff. I'll pass it along to my sister, who wants some way to control her diet. I was thinking of going vegan keto again for Lent but that will coincide with my trip thru California in February to visit friends & family so :lol: to that.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

lmao

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Does the entire house vote, or just the majority party? Like, I know it would never happen, but if the Democrats unified and then pulled 5 Republicans could they make their own guy speaker?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Skwirl posted:

Does the entire house vote, or just the majority party? Like, I know it would never happen, but if the Democrats unified and then pulled 5 Republicans could they make their own guy speaker?

Yup. And it could even go to a plurality vote, meaning Democrats don't even need a simple majority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Skwirl posted:

Entire house votes and it has to be a majority of total votes, not just a plurality. Theoertically, they could all vote to change the rules to allow a plurality, but that only has happened once in the aftermath of the Whig collapse

While something like that is theoretically possible, I think we're weeks away from that actually happening. I think its much more likely that they compromise around someone like Scalise in a few days