Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

sportsgenius86 posted:

There’s no solution that’s going to please everyone so I say just get creative.

- Tonight’s game is just non-existent.
- Bills don’t play next week and the Pats play the Steelers instead. Browns are out already so who cares.
- Make Bengals-Ravens a winner gets the North game, regardless of records.
- If KC and Cincy win, 1. KC, 2. CIN, 3. BUF
- If KC loses and Cincy wins, 1. CIN, 2. BUF, 3. KC
- If KC wins and Cincy loses, 1. KC, 2. BUF, 3. BAL
- If they both lose, 1. BUF, 2. KC, 3. BAL

The Bills get time to cope. Everyone else still has at least some control of their destiny. NFL gets big time Bengals-Ravens and Pats-Steelers games.

Will absolutely never happen but this is a good hell solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Pain of Mind posted:

Is there any reason why the season cannot just be two weeks longer? Add an extra bye (each team gets a bye before and after week 10?) and an extra week before playoffs, leave the week before the Superbowl if they care about hype building that much.

money

Edit: To be clear, its about networks not wanting extra empty weeks because of the disruption to their broadcast schedules, the NFL wants an 18 game league (for money) and is holding the extra bye as a bargaining chip.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

There's only one way to solve this dilemma that ensures that A) Both teams have an equal opportunity to win and B) that the players are safe.

Lawn darts.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pain of Mind posted:

Is there any reason why the season cannot just be two weeks longer? Add an extra bye (each team gets a bye before and after week 10?) and an extra week before playoffs, leave the week before the Superbowl if they care about hype building that much.

There's no reason if you plan it that way (I don't know why owners are against the two bye season other than to maybe hold it over the players heads when the next CBA needs to be negotiated). The immediate issue here would be that they have not planned it that way and they don't have a lot of time to work with. Even though it makes sense to my dumb mind that they could deal with it if they really needed to there's a whole lot of moving parts, tickets already sold, possibly other events that get in the way.

And the NFL doesn't exactly move fast on its feet dealing with things like that.

e:fb

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Dave posted:

I would also watch Josh Allen and Joe Burrow settle the game over Mario Party fwiw

Somehow this ends with the Browns in the #1 seed.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Never understood why they wouldn't want an extra bye week, it just gives one more weekend of football/ad revenue/talking head fluff. Worried about diluting the product? All of us here would drink lukewarm football out of an old boot.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
As far as I can tell the ramifications from canceling the game are:

Chiefs:
+ Go from needing a Bills loss to controlling their own destiny

Bills:
- go from controlling their own destiny for the number one seed to needing to win their game and the Chiefs to lose
/ Control their own destiny for the two seed, would need to lose their game and for the Bengals to win to lose it.

Bengals:
- mathematically eliminated from the number one seed
+ Locked in as division winners
- Go from controlling their own destiny for the two seed to needing help.

Jags/Tits:
Not affected

Chargers:
Not affected

Ravens:
- go from being dependent on the Bengals losing back to back home games to being eliminated from the Division

Patriots:
+ Not affected on paper but play a very distracted Bills team in a win and in situation

The rest:
Not affected

As far as I see it the teams most advantaged would be the Chiefs and the Patriots and the teams most disadvantaged would be the Bills and Bengals. I don't think any outcome is so extreme as to make the voiding of the game not the best outcome.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 3, 2023

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

sweet thursday posted:

Never understood why they wouldn't want an extra bye week, it just gives one more weekend of football/ad revenue/talking head fluff. Worried about diluting the product? All of us here would drink lukewarm football out of an old boot.

If anything the product is already too concentrated on Sunday afternoon.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

sweet thursday posted:

The owners will never give anything willingly to the players without getting something in return.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

It's such a clear win-win that the fact it hasn't happened yet means it most likely never will. The pettiness of corporate will never cease to amaze me, and I've once been on a picket line for 8 months.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
https://twitter.com/day_leap/status/1610166318791000064?s=46&t=t9POAtPl1Q3-1IibK48J1Q

Lots of good takes today.

Nov 6, 2002

that's a pretty pro-level troll right there

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Pats fans looking at a distracted Bills team all :sickos: to get into the playoffs, just to get trounced by the Bills again a week later.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Imagine how much better off we would all be if everybody just ignored idiots like that seeking attention instead of just reposting it everywhere.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Yeah I don't think we need to amplify takes from a nobody on Twitter with less than 100 followers

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
The best solution is that Joe Burrow and Josh Allen meet at the 50 yard line, both in full gear, and play a best 2 out of 3 of rock paper scissors for the win. Both teams get to stand behind their QB and taunt as much as they want to. The game goes in the record books as a 1-0 win.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

ghosthorse posted:

The best solution is that Joe Burrow and Josh Allen meet at the 50 yard line, both in full gear, and play a best 2 out of 3 of rock paper scissors for the win. Both teams get to stand behind their QB and taunt as much as they want to. The game goes in the record books as a 1-0 win.

I like this because it would have the side effect of achieving an inimitable Scorigami

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Eifert Posting posted:

As far as I see it the teams most advantaged would be the Chiefs and the Patriots and the teams most disadvantaged would be the Bills and Bengals. I don't think any outcome is so extreme as to make the voiding of the game not the best outcome.
I don't think the league is seriously considering a Week 19 option, and I think both teams would consider rest more valuable than playoff seeding. Canceling the game is by far the best option.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eifert Posting posted:

Imagine how much better off we would all be if everybody just ignored idiots like that seeking attention instead of just reposting it everywhere.

Nov 6, 2002

haljordan posted:

Yeah I don't think we need to amplify takes from a nobody on Twitter with less than 100 followers

Leave me out of this.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Eifert Posting posted:

Ravens:
- go from being dependent on the Bengals losing back to back home games to being eliminated from the Division

Implied in my post in the GDT this offers a perfect win-win solution, declare the Ravens the winners of the NFC South and kick out the Bucs. No one wants to see Tom Brady in another loving playoff.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Leave me out of this.

Friend, for just $8 a month, you can be somebody on Twitter. Hell, you can be anybody on Twitter.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

Implied in my post in the GDT this offers a perfect win-win solution, declare the Ravens the winners of the NFC South and kick out the Bucs. No one wants to see Tom Brady in another loving playoff.

This lovely Ravens team would probably make it to the NFC championship game. Gross.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Eifert Posting posted:

Seriously. This looks like something you had to actively try and seek out just to repost a lovely take, and why would you put yourself through that kind of toxic sludge in the first place?

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Manoueverable posted:

Seriously. This looks like something you had to actively try and seek out just to repost a lovely take, and why would you put yourself through that kind of toxic sludge in the first place?

There's a whole subforum of miserable people devoted to it. They're just bringing that same energy here where it's not welcome. We move on

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

To the player that can fake a collapse, make medical professionals not be able to read a pulse, and take a brutal chest thrashing from CPR, all to stop a losing game, I say more power to them.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Grant both teams a W. It guarantees three matchups for Week 18 are critical to the 1 seed including the KC Raiders one in Saturday "primetime" and also important to wild card seeding. If KC loses and Bills + Bengals both win grant the 1 seed to the Bills if the tiebreakers dont naturally do that. This should have more business incentive reasons for the NFL to do to hype up the final week and the only team it really screws over is the Ravens but honestly it's also a free pass to rest Lamar another week rather than try to rush him to win the division plus sets up a potential rematch for a "statement game". Seems like the best set of tradeoffs to make off hand

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1610342116365946881

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
https://twitter.com/NFLprguy/status/1610342115095056384

No new news

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

If they’re not resuming the game this week, then it’s clearly not going to happen.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Eifert Posting posted:

This lovely Ravens team would probably make it to the NFC championship game. Gross.

The lovely Ravens team that totally handled the Bengals, or are you assuming Lamar stays out for the playoffs?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The lovely Ravens team that totally handled the Bengals

It was 17 to 19 and ended on a game winning field goal.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Aye. And they were going to win by a dominating 4 points before all this sad stuff happened.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If the NFL is smart at all they'll wait until after week 18 to make a call. In a lot of scenarios the only thing that changes if they reschedule is Buffalo and Cincinnati potentially flip places for the divisional home game. I doubt either team would particularly want to reschedule a game and impact their schedule just for that.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

idk i think they need to make a firm call asap so it's not hanging over the entire league as an unanswered question for a week or more

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I have a hard time believing they won't have an answer by tomorrow.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Canceling is the easiest thing and the statement today feels like a prelude to that.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Eifert Posting posted:

If the NFL is smart at all they'll wait until after week 18 to make a call. In a lot of scenarios the only thing that changes if they reschedule is Buffalo and Cincinnati potentially flip places for the divisional home game. I doubt either team would particularly want to reschedule a game and impact their schedule just for that.

That seems like the worst thing to do because you'll probably end up in a situation where who gets in/out depends on the choice.

Cancelling outright and using win percentages for determining playoff clinching/seeding seems like the best approach to me.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

feeling hungry to watch some cincinnati bengals football next week on GAME NOT YET SCHEDULED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Honest question - if Hamlin had collapsed in the second half would that qualify as enough game to be played to be called final?