Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Part of the reason why I posted the SLARPG comic here (outside of, y'know, legitimately enjoying the comic and the game it's attached to) was because it was drawn (though not written/colored, that would be done by the game's main dev) by the Softies guy (who also contributed an enemy design for the game). It's neat to see how a different colorist can completely change the vibe of an artist's style; vibrant colors and liberally-used rounded shadows vs Softies' own desaturated palette and sporadically-used geometric shadows. (in retrospect I shoulda waited for someone to go "hey, what happened to Softies anyways?" and I coulda dropped the comic with some actual context then, but eh, got impatient)

edit: dang, a page snipe, hang on gimme a few minutes and I'll find a funny comic

edit 3: hang on, different comic

edit 4: instead of second guessing myself let's just have an early FOA

Digamma-F-Wau has a new favorite as of 08:04 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

softies wasnt the MOST well received here anyways (i thought it was decent) so you might have been waiting a while. anyone else crouching out there in cyberspace waiting to post their killer comic but not until someone says the password: just. post.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The password is Zoboomafoo with the Kratt brothers. I have said it, and now the legion of comics will be let loose. I have summoned the 7 comics of the apocalypse, and they ascend towards the thread like a plague of locusts, but a plague of cheer and merriment, a great dark terrible thing, full of wonder and greatness.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

finally someone said it

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Aha! I remember that last panel was someone's av, and I always wondered what was going on there.
I, uh, don't feel bad for failing to guess it now

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Synthbuttrange posted:

also dogshit at naming cities

Really good at naming cities if you like power moves.

Good luck having any of your cities develope an identity when they are all named after me, you conquered shitbirds!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

anyone else crouching out there in cyberspace waiting to post their killer comic but not until someone says the password: just. post.
Yeah, all right. I was actually waiting on this to finish, but it's been going uninterrupted weekly since March after coming back from its seven-year hiatus so I have faith that it is, in fact, going to finish, and it's twenty chapters long so the sooner it's started the sooner it's done. Had some fans back in the deleted BYOB thread when it got posted (including me obviously), by the author of Nine Planets Without Intelligent Life, without further ado here's the first part of

Opplopolis: Chapter One: Pangolin

Pangolin will be described later this chapter as "pervert", "leftist writer and provocateur", and "fat anarchist", so I think you can see why us goons can relate

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

cool, welcome to the thread. i'll watch out for it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I almost feel like I understand what's going on. Great colors, won't be skipping

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ah poo poo yeah, oppopolis rules

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I wonder if it takes place on a different timeline Earth or somewhere else entirely.
Archdukes in power weren't really a thing for a while here.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Never heard of Opplopolis before but I like the retro art and it seems to have a strong sense of character. Good stuff!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Personally I thought the SLARPG comic was fine, especially for what it was trying to do.

thetoughestbean posted:

This comic, on the other hand, isn’t, because it’s so full of excitement and love for its characters that it forgot that the audience doesn’t share those feelings. The characters haven’t lived in our heads for months/years like they have with the creator, we just met them and we need to find reasons to care about them, and when they’re immediately getting what they want in the comic, it’s hard to root for them. There’s nothing to root for!

I'm going to disagree here. If it were supposed to have been a romance--which I'm using in the sense of a story about two people going from not together to together--then yeah them immediately getting what they wanted entirely short-circuits things and what's the point. But going from the comic and what little I saw about the game, it's instead about two people trying to figure out what it means to be together and how to make their relationship work, which is a very different thing.

In other words, it's the difference between getting to Happily Ever After versus what happens After Ever After.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I think people should post whatever they like and not worry too much about it. There's always gonna be people who don't like something and sometimes people warm up to stuff as it keeps going. As long as no one is posting absolute dogshit like Dominic Deegan it's cool with me. I read almost everything that gets posted here anyway

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt text: The watcher's name is 10 Vigilant Gaze Purges the Horizon. Though among the most powerful angels, he is well known to his kin for being mild-mannered and extremely long winded. He has far too much free time.

Alt text: Woe be he that mistakes the rider for the steed

quote:

“The lightn’ings on which they rode were bent with talon’d lash,

An’ few there were that rode ahead and batter’d out their path,

But others reach’d with grasping hands to pluck fools from the fray,

An’ best as known them sorry souls are ridden to this day.”

– Folk rhyme

Alt text: Thulsa Drulle was considered a bit of an odd case by his students for his archaic spelling and unhealthy number of cats.

quote:

“It doth not suyt a Sum’nr of Devyls to speak on their Propertys, as those godsblood Fools who speak them into beyng must by varyos Means know their Nature as the Back of their Hand. But here I shall make a vayn Attempt for those who doth possess Wyts markedly Thin and Tyme markedly Lyttle, and thereon elaborate wythyn thys Tome.

Let us begyn symply:

Fyrst, the Pallyd, also known as the order Cacodaemonya. The weakest of Devyls and, yea, the most numerous as well. The Pallyd Devyl posseseth a Body most fyne but he also possesseth a weak Intellect. Hys form doth resemble an Insect or other such crawylng thyng, hys Blood argent, hys Mask whyte or fayntly yellow. He is most suytable for Tasks menyal and of low complexyty. He feedeth on Blood and Livestock. Great Care must be taken for he is bydden to count any Item whatsover strewn before hym with a passyon most confoundyng.”

– Thulsa Drulle’s Daemoniac Maleficum

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

After a rough start with the lady's name, I'm fully on board for dishing hot goss. I'm a mother fuckin drama glutton. Someone makes that face at me, I'm making it right back cause it's gonna be gooooooood

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

fritz posted:

Personally I thought the SLARPG comic was fine, especially for what it was trying to do.

I'm going to disagree here. If it were supposed to have been a romance--which I'm using in the sense of a story about two people going from not together to together--then yeah them immediately getting what they wanted entirely short-circuits things and what's the point. But going from the comic and what little I saw about the game, it's instead about two people trying to figure out what it means to be together and how to make their relationship work, which is a very different thing.

In other words, it's the difference between getting to Happily Ever After versus what happens After Ever After.

Yeah the SLARPG dev has pretty openly talked about being tired of media where starting a relationship was the end goal and wanting to explore navigating a relationship already in progress

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Ohhhhh shiiiit hell yeah (apologies to the goon posting these but I just saw this and had to share)

https://twitter.com/kcgreenn/status/1610305795429736451?s=46&t=nVGcz7u1JDY2FZjPPc6L9g

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

If Boba Pearl is too busy to draw I think I'm going to start posting some gay poo poo to help maintain this thread's ambiance. This one is called "The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy at All." It follows the standard girls' love formula of having 2 girls stare longingly at each other for 5 million pages and then maybe hold hands once at the end but I think the color scheme is great and I love that they bond over their love of basic bitch western butt rock.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: P-Mol's sister looks up to see a minion perched over the doorway! God introduces him as Dream, then leaves them alone together! Joost drops an anvil on Dream and attacks, and snakes shoot out from within Dream's mask!

Read right to left:

Chapter 37 - These Boys Have No Fathers: END

Volume 4 - Fantastic Biceps Yes: END

This is Joost's "You know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning?"

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

"He was on fire"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

MokBa posted:

Ohhhhh shiiiit hell yeah (apologies to the goon posting these but I just saw this and had to share)

https://twitter.com/kcgreenn/status/1610305795429736451?s=46&t=nVGcz7u1JDY2FZjPPc6L9g

Huh....interesting. I've found the earlier Funny Online Animals kinda hit or miss, but that grabs me.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Kit Walker posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt text: The watcher's name is 10 Vigilant Gaze Purges the Horizon. Though among the most powerful angels, he is well known to his kin for being mild-mannered and extremely long winded. He has far too much free time.

It's been ages since i read through the archive the first time, but I distinctly remember reading this comic and hearing a Judas Priest track grow louder and louder the further down the page I got.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kit Walker posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt text: Woe be he that mistakes the rider for the steed

I never noticed the reaction shot in the top right, 10 Vigilant Gaze has no time for Juggernaut Star's bullshit

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Which of these ekeletons is enjoying their life the most?
I say handlebars skeleton

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Dicebox

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Which of these ekeletons is enjoying their life the most?
I say handlebars skeleton
absolutely the SINNER wheel skeleton, they're like the skeletal remains of a kelly sicko

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

rodbeard posted:

If Boba Pearl is too busy to draw I think I'm going to start posting some gay poo poo to help maintain this thread's ambiance. This one is called "The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy at All." It follows the standard girls' love formula of having 2 girls stare longingly at each other for 5 million pages and then maybe hold hands once at the end but I think the color scheme is great and I love that they bond over their love of basic bitch western butt rock.

That green is beautiful.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Swanboy: The Most Relatable Webcomic®️

:3:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

fritz posted:

That may be the case for the game, but even as a prequel the comic is narratively inert. It’s not about making the relationship work, it’s just answering the question “how did they start dating?” with possibly the least interesting answer it could.

There’s a bunch of different things it could have chosen to explore and it chose the most boring option!

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

LAST TIME ON BACK

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Pangolin will be described later this chapter as "pervert", "leftist writer and provocateur", and "fat anarchist", so I think you can see why us goons can relate

Be also seems like a grouchy gently caress who needs to complain endlessly and at length about art that doesn't meet his personal tastes, so 100% on point for goons.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

HELL, FL #41

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Uramachi Sakaba

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
i think the edit came from here (and dates from probably over a decade ago) but i'm not sure.

edgy 00s poo poo removed

Laserjet 4P has a new favorite as of 03:12 on Jan 4, 2023

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

This same rape joke was the first thing you ever posted in this thread too. Reflect on that.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

It also got into an official Garfield cartoon

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
this is my favorite swan boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007