Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

It seems like they're still acting as though cryptomining will carry demand, or that GPU demand is somehow inelastic, even in the face of consoles that cost half as much as the 4070 Ti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

it’s prolly (wait for reviews) a better price/performance than the card it replaces at that price point. if you don’t like the price point or performance, as always, don’t buy it. nobody needs these, and nobody should feel pressured to play at 4k/144 or whatever just because it’s all the rage, and there are (usually) better used deals from a prior gen to be had.

the only thing weird about nvidia/AMDs pricing and naming is the belief that there are people to whom $800 is just right, but the other cards too extravagant. is there really that much price granularity for these toys? do we really need this many SKUs from both brands over $500?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

K8.0 posted:

Another product that literally no people should buy, along with the 4080 one of the worst deals in the history of computing products.

I'm pretty sure I can come up with some worse ones.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Really unless you're trying to do 4k144hz I don't see much reason to even think about the new gen GPUs, for $500-600 you can get a last gen card that'll pretty easily be able to handle at least 1440p144.

E: Actually never mind I just found out GALAX are doing a pink 4070Ti can anyone lend me $800?

Also this line in the Videocardz article made me laugh.

quote:

NVIDIA confirms that RTX 4070 Ti is ‘faster than RTX 3090 Ti’, but the slide does not really explain how.

Also they announced the laptop versions of the whole 40 series stack down to the 4050. Looks like the usual laptop standard of dropping the performance down a level but keeping the same name, so a laptop 4070 is roughly a desktop 4060.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 3, 2023

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Inept posted:

It seems like they're still acting as though cryptomining will carry demand, or that GPU demand is somehow inelastic, even in the face of consoles that cost half as much as the 4070 Ti.

It's truly inexplicable and I really hope this experiment fails for them. loving greedy bastards.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Maybe TSMC 4N was a mistake

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

Maybe TSMC 4N was a mistake

Anything past 22nm was extravagance

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also holy poo poo I just noticed they're launching this thing in 2 days, god help all the reviewers who are scrambling to do their reviews on whatever cards they've gotten.

E: Oh yeah and no FE model, so all of these cards are going to be at least $900.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 3, 2023

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

njsykora posted:

Also holy poo poo I just noticed they're launching this thing in 2 days, god help all the reviewers who are scrambling to do their reviews on whatever cards they've gotten.

E: Oh yeah and no FE model, so all of these cards are going to be at least $900.

I’m already seeing some 4070Ti listed at Best Buy, at $840 and $900

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's truly inexplicable and I really hope this experiment fails for them. loving greedy bastards.

If you look at the last 2 years of NVDA it makes perfect sense. Nvidia's stock price has fallen >50% since late 2021, their earnings are way down and until and unless Nvidia starts really scaling up in the AI market as it probably grows, their projections are likely overly optimistic. Consistently missing projections is not a thing the market generally considers a sign of a healthy company, so they are desperate to keep profit, expected profit, and thus stock price all high by juicing consumers. Consumers have to push back and tell Jensen to eat a dick and accept that his company isn't worth what it was a year ago and won't be unless it can come up with some major new revenue stream.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
nvidia is finally making this mainstream, probably the rtx maxine sdk?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA-tQpQqD7U

at least i don't have to feel bad about being a firefox user, since i'm a 1070 owner anyway :negative:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kliras posted:

at least i don't have to feel bad about being a firefox user, since i'm a 1070 owner anyway :negative:

:smith::hf::smith:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

$799*

*not actually $799 anywhere.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

njsykora posted:

Also they announced the laptop versions of the whole 40 series stack down to the 4050. Looks like the usual laptop standard of dropping the performance down a level but keeping the same name, so a laptop 4070 is roughly a desktop 4060.

4070 having more cuda cores but clocked lower is interesting. If they can really run it at 35watts that might be a portability beast.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

kliras posted:

That's neat but what kind of dogshit bitrate were they upscaling from? it's 1080p but the kill feed on the top right looks smeary as hell.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Inept posted:

Cryptomining on GPUs is completely dead last I checked though? I don’t think it even beats the cost of electricity now.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yes it's virtually all but dead now, that's pretty much their point - nvidia has their heads in the sand about it. They think it's still a thing and have priced their gpus as such

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
also happening

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1610315813742952449

rip the shield

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I’m hoping enough people go for the 4070ti than 3080 prices drop another 100 bucks

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I hate them, love the shield though

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

I love my shield but never used it for gaming. Maybe they are introducing a new shield?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

GruntyThrst posted:

I’m hoping enough people go for the 4070ti than 3080 prices drop another 100 bucks

Does that sound realistic? That price tag made me go back to browsing ebay.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

GruntyThrst posted:

Used 3090s are still hovering around +850$ and i dont think its gonna get lower anytime soon, so if i were to set my expectations around that the 4070ti still feels better. Not good in anyway, but a brand new 4070ti looks like the best option?

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 3, 2023

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Baba Oh Really posted:

I love my shield but never used it for gaming. Maybe they are introducing a new shield?

No my friend they are killing the shield and killing Gamestream which fucks over a lot of other people as collateral damage.

All so they could rent out the GPUs that aren’t selling.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ughhhh posted:

Used 3090s are still hovering around +850$ and i dont think its gonna get lower anytime soon, so if i were to set my expectations around that the 4070ti still feels better. Not good in anyway, but a brand new 4070ti looks like the best option?

Still waiting on what Asus and Noctua cook up for their next card, but yeah agreed on all counts. It loving sucks.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

ughhhh posted:

3090s are expensive, but a 3080 is ~$500 on ebay and should be in the same performance ballpark as a 4070 Ti.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
4070 Ti is roughly 3090/3090 Ti performance from what we know, so a reasonable bit better than 3080 performance. certainly better value than the 3090/3090 Ti but not the 3080

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

lih posted:

4070 Ti is roughly 3090/3090 Ti performance from what we know, so a reasonable bit better than 3080 performance. certainly better value than the 3090/3090 Ti but not the 3080

No no, the 4070 is THREE TIMES FASTER

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
lol where's the tiny text to say "*with frame generation" etc.

they did announce that dlss 3 is getting updated to support not garbling ui elements

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

lol the 4000 series is really shaping up to be a huge bore. gently caress them prices.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

K8.0 posted:

3090s are expensive, but a 3080 is ~$500 on ebay and should be in the same performance ballpark as a 4070 Ti.

Most 3080s are in the $600ish range now, or get there within a day of bidding. For a card that’s supposed to be MRSP $700 and two years old , feels kinda bad

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Nvidia saw AMD's claims about the 7900XTX and thought hey we can lie too!

njsykora fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 3, 2023

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

GruntyThrst posted:

Most 3080s are in the $600ish range now, or get there within a day of bidding. For a card that’s supposed to be MRSP $700 and two years old , feels kinda bad

Most important of all, USED, not new. All the new ones have apparently been gobbled up or just being scalped to high heaven.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

njsykora posted:

Nvidia saw AMD's claims about the 7900XTX and thought hey we lie too!

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1610391620679081984

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

GruntyThrst posted:

If you search 3080 -Ti and check "sold", you'll find plenty of them are selling for $500.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

It's almost like our economic system regularly results in recurring crises of overproduction

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's almost like our economic system regularly results in recurring crises of overproduction

https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/1436776641536090117

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

K8.0 posted:

If you search 3080 -Ti and check "sold", you'll find plenty of them are selling for $500.

That sounds great for those who got them at 500$ but doesn't mean much if I can't actually find one atm and can't babysit a bid.

mobby_6kl posted:

I know it was really stupid on Nvidia's part to release these slides, but I am impressed by what I have seen of frame generation and feel like it would give the GPUs with that tech some longevity.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 4, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok now this is interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Paying £18 a month to rent a 4080 isn't that interesting.