Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Peggy walking under the caution tape to get into the crime scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WholeAccomplishedJaeger-mobile.mp4

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The funniest Peggy joke for me is when she's multilingual phone support for the Alamo Beer company and she reports that a native Mexican's Spanish was "wasn't very good".

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Vord posted:

And the backup plan to steal Jeff Goldblums car was probably Peggy's idea

that would have been a felony

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

naem
May 29, 2011

Another Bill posted:

The episode where she scams Jeff Goldblum to get the money back that he grifted selling the Texas Genius Directory was uncharacteristically competent of Peggy.

see Peggy is not incompetent and does not lack intelligence, she’s a very bright capable person and she knows it.

The humor with Peggy is that her driving force is a sense of innate duty, honor and a kind of giddy energy that she has to summon to overcome her very humble background.

Rather than say, knowledge.

When she gets all focused on something she probably feels a sense of self esteem that normally isn’t there. And with the lack of knowledge a better educated person might have, she relies on a kind of dogged “soldier on” attitude.

Culturally, that kind of “I’m just going to do it without fully understanding” anti intellectual attitude is something traditional conservative culture strongly values and Peggy is used to show the foils of that approach to good effect.

Hank sees Peggy as embodying all the best traditional values he thinks he holds dear but then is constantly exasperated by the results of those values

it’s like Peggy is a machine running on flawed logic but with the best of intentions

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Nah. She just thinks she's smarter than she is and most of what she goes about doing is almost always an attempt to kind of prove that. Metalife, Propane Maniacs, the arrowhead thing, feminist empowerment by way of huge feet, special brown betty and spa-peggy recipes and a whole slew of other endeavors where she's trying to aim above her head and achieve the praise she wants and thinks she's entitled to.

She's just a person of average intelligence, competence and achievement who desperately wants to be seen as something far more than that.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

many posters like perhaps the one above dont understand how small some ponds are and how big some fish seem in them. esp narcissistic ones. peggy is real and my friend.

naem
May 29, 2011

e: ^^^ better put thnks

think it’s more than she is a champion of the humble traits her cultural class values and isn’t aware there is anything better

Hank as a character has a lot more self awareness and feels the pain involved

“Peggy I see how our cultural values lead to this zany situation and I share those values but, no, gah ok yeah everything I believe isn’t quite right is it look at the results”

Peggy has boundless self confidence due to being naive, Hank feels the pain of seeing his own flaws constantly

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

peggy is real and she is not my friend. she is not endearing at all and neither are the people she is modeled after

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The 3 stages of a KotH fan

Tired: liking peggy cuz shes kinda dumb
Wired: disliking peggy because shes kinda dumb
Inspired: loving Peggy because how shes kinda dumb

naem
May 29, 2011

Cotton Hill- traditional cultural values, toxic masculinity: knowingly a bad person

Peggy Hill- traditional cultural values, narcissistic: naively a chaotic person

Hank Hill- wants to have traditional cultural values, painfully self aware: BWAaaaah

Bobby Hill: “I’m a little worried about being a slut!”

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

hes right to worry

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Saucer Hovers posted:

hes right to worry

She still likes lots of things I like; like Kissing for instance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv5PaUlUS6M

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

being a substitution herself she is, of course, simply projecting her old professional insecurities

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Reverend Lovejoy is great but King of the Hill is untouchable at nailing down American Christian church culture. Hank being Methodist despite not knowing the tenets of Methodism, the quasi-rebellious Christian teen skateboarding culture, even the mega-church ep where while playing pickup football Hank thought they were covered by the pre-game prayer and didn’t see the need to pray before each down.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Reverend Stroup : Bobby, do you love Jesus?

Bobby : With all my heart.

Hank : Buddhist liar.

naem
May 29, 2011

I’ve been thinking about Peggy (because of how incredibly, incredibly bored I am) and,

Peggy isn’t motivated by knowing things, she is motivated by feeling like she knows things

on a scale of 1-10 she is at least a 6 in intelligence but lacks the knowledge to use it successfully

if you tried to give her knowledge she doesn’t already have it would affect the feeling which would kill her buzz and she wants nothing to do with that thank you very much

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Hill's house probably has a very chemical odor

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Hill's house probably has a very chemical odor

Havnt you read Peggy’s household tips column? Bleach and ammonia makes a great cleaner !

Shartin Mad
Nov 23, 2022

by Hand Knit

PinheadSlim posted:

Reverend Stroup : Bobby, do you love Jesus?

Bobby : With all my heart.

Hank : Buddhist liar.

literally one of my favorite throwaway exchanges in the show. I've got a few friends who are Buddhists who like the show too and 'Buddhist liar' and 'if my rear end will be kicked, then it will be kicked' are nearly always exchanged in some form when we're play arguing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cracks me up that Bobby is canonically a reincarnated lama.

naem
May 29, 2011

continuing my thesis on this old tv show:

Hank is surrounded by parodies of conservative traditional values

he thinks he shares these values but is constantly exasperated by the results of their behavior and has to confront his owns beliefs as a result

Cotton was a hero but also now a toxic male (bad conservative)

Peggy is a loyal partner and well intentioned but kind of a twit (naďve conservative)

Dale is an antigovernment conspiracy nut but also his best friend, who can’t see his own family issues (this could be the most dangerous type of conservative but he gets mocked until harmless)

Hank, the avatar of traditional fambly val-yuhs, has to be the be the who sees through all the flaws and doesn’t get to enjoy the bliss of the ignorant

something something surprisingly progressive

Shartin Mad
Nov 23, 2022

by Hand Knit
yea pretty much. Hank has idolized the various figures in his life who are shithead regressive sorts and, like a lot of guys like him, assumes that's just part of being a real man and not some PC twig boy, but he has enough integrity and morals to know that Buck and Cotton and all are genuine pieces of poo poo despite not being able to fully stop idolizing parts of them.

The one with Buck getting the propane award is probably one of my favorite episodes because of that, it's a really silly and dumb episode but also does a solid job of having Hank deal with that kinda stuff.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Cracks me up that Bobby is canonically a reincarnated lama.

I love the little exchange at the end

MONK # 1: But that was Sanglug's mirror.
HEAD MONK: I know, but he didn't pick it.
MONK # 1: But he used it.
HEAD MONK: Tough call. But it's mine, and I made it.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Ornery and Hornery posted:

*casually scanning a grisly crime scene* Mm hmm mm hmm mm hmm, so what do we got here

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I'm so happy to have rediscovered this blessed thread.

We all love "That's my purse," but undoubtedly the best Bobby line of the show is

"Bobby, when's my birthday?"

"I... I don't know!"

"Hank, the mold's got him!"

"HELP ME DAD!"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just laughed out loud at a throwaway joke. It's 505, Peggy Makes the Big Leagues. Hank and Peggy are talking, and it cuts to the alley, with Dale telling Bill "All I'm saying is that you have the tendencies of a Capricorn..."

Like.... I really REALLY want to hear that full discussion.

Seriously, this show throws away better material than most shows feature up front.

Edit: goddamn, Cotton is brutal...

Peggy: Cotton, I don't know what I hate about you more; the way you talk to me, or the way you treat your wife and child!

Cotton: Well, think about it.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 3, 2023

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
if you got more feelings to express, get in the kitchen and put em in a bundt cake

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Peggy: Oh come on Hank, there's no reason to be shameful of your crying, and yet I am.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If any line sums up Peggy, it’s “Believe me, I prayed on it, Hank and God said to me, ‘Don't do it.’ But you know what? I knew better.”

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Peggy: Oh come on Hank, there's no reason to be shameful of your crying, and yet I am.

Utter savage. What's the context; ladybird, or truck related?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Edit: goddamn, Cotton is brutal...

Reminder Cotton willed himself to death just to spite Peggy

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hank crying after watching Flowers of Time.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Milo and POTUS posted:

It was from the cuckold episode, one of the late seasons.

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

"Luanne, this isn't as asinine as I thought!"

"Thaaaaaanks!"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

"Sorry, Peggy, I can't have lunch with you right now. Maybe later tonight.".

Edit:

Tammi: "Official GED practice test. Do you think I can do this, Peggy?"

Peggy: "Are you kidding me? People who haven't even graduated high school can do it."

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 3, 2023

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

A fried banana? The monkeys must never find out

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Cotton: Well, think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Peggy in full body cast

Cotton: awww Hank, I didn't teach ya that!!