Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cancelled after 1 season shows are a shame. I quite liked the Disney Plus "The Right Stuff" show and I'd have liked another season of watching John Glenn and Al Shepard getting into pissing matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

priznat posted:

drat I had 1899 in my watch queue but probably won't now. It was by the folks who did "Dark", which was pretty great.
If you're expecting it to be near as good as Dark you'd be extremely disappointed.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Pretty cool

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
When making a show, just always assume whatever season you’re doing is the last season. There problem solved

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Cancelled after 1 season shows are a shame. I quite liked the Disney Plus "The Right Stuff" show and I'd have liked another season of watching John Glenn and Al Shepard getting into pissing matches.

I mean... there's already the movie. The movie's pretty great actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te_3gfOoh8c

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Randarkman posted:

I look forward to when "prestige TV" type shows finally die.

It was fine back in the 2000’s when there were only like a dozen or so prestige projects. The problem began when everyone and their grandmother started trying to copy the prestige TV formula. There just isn’t enough actual talent in Hollywood to sustain hundreds of long form genre series. So you get poo poo like two nobodies who’s only qualifications are that their daddies are friends with JJ Abrams running a billion dollar LotR series.

It doesn’t need to die per-se but we need to go back to the days where there were only a few really ambitious series, and everything else was just cheap crap.

I think we’re starting to see it, as even Netflix is going back to making fluff semi-serialized comfort food shows. Emily in Paris is unashamedly Life Time-tier poo poo done up a bit, but it’s immensely popular.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 3, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I haven't watched new tv shows in a while. Are there alot of new shows based on old movies? Soft reboot?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I haven't watched new tv shows in a while. Are there alot of new shows based on old movies? Soft reboot?

There was a loving Irma Vep prestige streaming tv series

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

where's the blue aliens review

not gonna lie I kind of enjoyed Avatar 2. people calling it a remake of 1 are wrong

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
netflix will usher in a new era of prestige live action anime

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
what if we start a college for showrunners

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

it's called work experience bitch. you start off as the son of a hollywood lawyer, then you get a job getting coffee for the producers of Hercules starring Kevin Sorbo. then you're given a job to write a movie script and you copy it from a mst3k movie, get sued but it's ok because you didn't admit fault and the movie still made money. then finally you graduate and can showrun Star Trek.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'll see your Nukie tapes and raise you a 100 pound stuffed spider

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1610254301691273217

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

RealityWarCriminal posted:

it's called work experience bitch. you start off as the son of a hollywood lawyer, then you get a job getting coffee for the producers of Hercules starring Kevin Sorbo. then you're given a job to write a movie script and you copy it from a mst3k movie, get sued but it's ok because you didn't admit fault and the movie still made money. then finally you graduate and can showrun Star Trek.

This is kurtzman right?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Randarkman posted:

I mean... there's already the movie. The movie's pretty great actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te_3gfOoh8c

Oh yeah the 80s movie is excellent, but I still enjoyed the TV show and it would have been cool if they got more time.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is kurtzman right?

That's mike

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Once Jenny gets more tech savvy I’m sure she will write a script that auto-buys every spider that appears on ebay

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

lol there are multiple listings for nukie on ebay now

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Your Gay Uncle posted:

https://twitter.com/twink_repellent/status/1610304502816509955?s=20&t=4bxgDtcAtSarr4sZ5imouQ

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Space Kablooey posted:

lol there are multiple listings for nukie on ebay now

One is just over $500 with 23 bids. Which is really funny if the bidders think they are making a solid investment.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
i started watching the sopranos recently. p good but real drat goofy that that show was maybe the first? to deepfake a dead actor. disney owes them

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Sort of? Didn't they just crop-in footage from previous seasons?

I laughed very loudly when I noticed what they were doing. It was pretty memorable.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

jsoh posted:

i started watching the sopranos recently. p good but real drat goofy that that show was maybe the first? to deepfake a dead actor. disney owes them

Marchand was so loving good.

Roumba posted:

Sort of? Didn't they just crop-in footage from previous seasons?

I laughed very loudly when I noticed what they were doing. It was pretty memorable.

Yeah her lines were recycled. I think they did use CG to make the head move (to put it simply).

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

jsoh posted:

It’s like she’s really there! I mean her dead corpse being puppeted about is really there!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Your Gay Uncle posted:

How is her channel even growing? She puts out like two videos a year.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
"She was abusive to the staff" is probably my favorite line and reading from that show.

that and Chris' "you can't do that, not even with computers" while he's high as a kite at Liv's wake.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

colonelwest posted:

How is her channel even growing? She puts out like two videos a year.

losers. idiots. occasionally, dorks.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Jenny Videos speak to entire generations and we've committed to making the world a more animatronic and theme park filled place. We call ourselves the 'Jenneration' and we all do crochet and whippits.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I’m creatively bankrupt I need ideas for a good video to spend my time on so I don’t turn my car on in the garage

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Sunk Dunk posted:

I’m creatively bankrupt I need ideas for a good video to spend my time on so I don’t turn my car on in the garage

Jenny

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

yesterday Youtube recommended me a takedown on Channel Awesome that was longer than terminator 2

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

There are LOTS of RLM 'compilation/best of' videos that aren't the often well done abridged commentary track stuff. Those people are creatively bankrupt, and you can be too!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Sunk Dunk posted:

Dahmer-style series about Bust Rodd

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

Sunk Dunk posted:

Why compromise? Just put this on and let the engine run. :hehe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdSTIGMO8kA

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Jenny is the Avatar movies of youtube. Middle aged dorks can't get over their popularity.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

RealityWarCriminal posted:

yesterday Youtube recommended me a takedown on Channel Awesome that was longer than terminator 2

The rise and fall of Doug Walker videos are trickling out from a lot of different sources. It’s not a particularly interesting story from what I’ve seen though.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

shes like a baby, making noise & not knowing what to do. some people are into that.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

stephenthinkpad posted:

Jenny is the Avatar movies of youtube. Middle aged dorks can't get over their popularity.

I’m the same age as Jenny and I’ve never gotten her appeal, or at least why she engenders so much loyalty in her fan base. To me she’s just a weird woman-child, and I find her love of pop culture slop and lack of maturity to be off-putting.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

colonelwest posted:

The rise and fall of Doug Walker videos are trickling out from a lot of different sources. It’s not a particularly interesting story from what I’ve seen though.

The one that Dan Olson made about his (it's that guy right?) parody of the Wall was pretty good, though I don't think it was that long either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Gripweed posted:

That wouldn't work for a number of reasons. First off, TV shows are collaborative efforts. What if an actor brings a different take on a character than you expected, and it doesn't jibe with the developments you've planned years in advance? Sure, you can just do those developments anyway, like they did with Game of Thrones. But as I recall, people didn't like that. What if something works on screen better than you expected. Like with Breaking Bad, the plan was for Jessie to die in season 1. They wisely decided that was a terrible idea when they saw Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston working together on screen.

Also, if the plan requires multiple seasons, how the gently caress are you supposed to secure funding for that? Studios don't sign on to make five seasons of a show. They sign on for one season at most and then a second if it does well or gets a lot of good press or if the studio feels very confident in it as they see it in production.

But let's say you come up with a seven season plan, but you only get five seasons? Do you just stop? That's going to leave everyone unhappy. Or you could do like Fringe and jump ahead to the last season and it loving sucks.

Basically, your idea is completely unreasonable.

Everything in this post is completely incorrect. Just wildly wrong and not thought out at all.