Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, Freelancer is out at the end of the month

Cool, thanks. I love Hitman 3/2/1 but have played them to death so I wouldn't mind an excuse to come back to it and that just might be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

so i'm confused, in 2057 when i finally get around to playing mechwarrior 5, should i just completely ignore the campaign button entirely because the career mode has all the campaign stuff in it, or should i at least run through the campaign once because it'll give me a representation to the game flow as opposed to career mode's sandbox

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cowcaster posted:

so i'm confused, in 2057 when i finally get around to playing mechwarrior 5, should i just completely ignore the campaign button entirely because the career mode has all the campaign stuff in it, or should i at least run through the campaign once because it'll give me a representation to the game flow as opposed to career mode's sandbox

I picked up the game and went straight into Career mode :shrug:

I figured if I wanted a more story based campaign mode I can always go back but so far have been digging the open ended nature of the Career mode and the gradual ramp up into a squad of badasses.

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

woke kaczynski posted:

Oh poo poo that reminds me, wasn't there a goon game that was basically "That Which Sleeps but with a reasonable scope" and it actually released? I can't remember the name of it but I remember being really interested in it

The game you're looking for is called 'Shadows of Forbidden Gods'. It's on steam in early access and it's still being developed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

It doesn't matter

Campaign mode if you want a guided experience, Career if you don't. I'm doing a single player campaign and a co-op career for what it's worth. You can even import saves to career mode!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Amazon Prime Gaming games for January: Chicken Police, Breathedge, Faraway 2, Lawn Mowing Simulator, Mom Hid My Game (Switch eShop code), and The Evil Within 2 (GOG)

Humble Choice in 45 minutes I think but we already know Doom Eternal, OlliOlli World and Tribes of Midgard are 3 of the 8

GamePass for January at the moment is: Stranded Deep, Persona 3 Portable (1/19), Persona 4 Golden (1/20), Monster Hunter Rise (1/20), Age of Empires 2 Definitive (1/31), and Inkulinati (1/31). But I would expect a proper announcement of additions soon.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 3, 2023

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Honestly I played the MW5 campaign for all of two missions when the cutscenes convinced me that I should not be expected much in the way of storytelling, so I just went and switched to career instead :v:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Steam Thread: The Big Buy Club

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Anyone having issues buying stuff from Steam right now?

https://steamstat.us/ shows no issues, but I keep getting "An unexpected error has occurred" when sending a gift, with plenty of money in the wallet.

Tried restarting the client to no effect.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The 7th Guest posted:

Humble Choice in 45 minutes I think but we already know Doom Eternal, OlliOlli World and Tribes of Midgard are 3 of the 8

DoomE and OlliOlli are the heavy hitters.
Grow and Hokko seem potentially enjoyable.
Others not so much.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How do you assign mutlibutton functions (e.g., shift+4) in the new Steam Input interface?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

so I posted about Archvale a few days ago and was like "I hope they're still making something cuz I loved Archvale"

https://twitter.com/_idoz/status/1610345437315072001?t=4TCaxrEx22axSviB8GF7rg&s=1

:neckbeard:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Huh, the economic side of the MW5 career mode feels surprisingly tricky. My dumbass lancemates just love getting themselves cored at the first opportunity even against easy enemies. And as it turns out the engine is far and away the most expensive part of a mech, so that's a sweet million credits just to get the drat thing running again each time. :suicide:

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Also if I remember right most stock mechs blow and you need to tear poo poo off of them and load every mech as close to max armor as you can, particularly in the center.

Yeah if there’s one thing to do for every single mech it is immediately up armor them and always have near max armor on the torso. Drop some from the head, arms, and legs if you absolutely need the tonnage for a good piece of equipment but almost never from the torso. And you do really have to babysit the AI a lot of the time unfortunately, they have a habit of just throwing themselves into the center of an enemy lance or tank group if you just tell them to attack.

The loadouts mechs come with are the ~~canon~~ ones which probably make sense from a lore and/or tabletop perspective but in a video game you basically need to start from scratch. I’ve found flamers and machine guns especially pointless, even on light mechs. More lasers/PPCs and more heat sinks is always a good fallback option if you have the slots.

Cowcaster posted:

When it was the only thing in the game it was on the disappointing end of things but now that career mode exists the campaign is a decent introduction and more guided experience.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

even in tabletop the loadouts are basically created by people who don't know how the game they designed works. the archetypal shadow hawk has a long range missile pod that works best outside a certain distance, an autocannon 5 that works at a shorter distance than that but with its own minimum distance restriction, then a medium laser that works shorter than that, and then a short range missile pod that doesn't work outside of spitting distance. in theory, this means the shadow hawk can engage a target at any possible range! in practice, it means that at any possible range you can pick, you have exactly one weapon out of four that works without a penalty, or at all. (technically the medium laser and short range missile can overlap).

not to mention that with the way ammo explosions work, machineguns are more dangerous to the mech carrying ammo for them than as actual offensive weapons.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 3, 2023

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The Kins posted:

The Hitman games are getting consolidated together on January 26, so there's only one game (Hitman 3 with the Hitman 1 GOTY and Hitman 2 Standard content) and one DLC (containing the Hitman 2 and 3 expansions). If you already own Hitman 3, that means you'll be getting the Hitman 1 GOTY and Hitman 2 standard content for free if you don't own them already.

This is kind of annoying for someone that already bought the first 2 games less than a year ago.

Do previous owners get any sort of discount on 3? It's not entirely clear.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

even in tabletop the loadouts are basically created by people who don't know how the game they designed works. the archetypal shadow hawk has a long range missile pod that works best outside a certain distance, an autocannon 5 that works at a shorter distance than that but with its own minimum distance restriction, then a medium laser that works shorter than that, and then a short range missile pod that doesn't work outside of spitting distance. in theory, this means the shadow hawk can engage a target at any possible range! in practice, it means that at any possible range you can pick, you have exactly one weapon out of four that works without a penalty, or at all. (technically the medium laser and short range missile can overlap).

not to mention that with the way ammo explosions work, machineguns are more dangerous to the mech carrying ammo for them than as actual offensive weapons.

Iirc MW4Mercs was one of the few exceptions to MGs being worthless since you didn't have to hope for lucky crits there, though you'd still have a bad time due to ammo explosions and the limited range meant they were mostly a Solaris thing.

And yea, stock mechs are nearly always garbage, if it isn't "well we need to be able to fire at every range", it's mechs focusing on something like LRMs or SRMs and only carrying enough ammo for a couple salvos and are then left over with a single small laser. :sad:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kennel posted:

DoomE and OlliOlli are the heavy hitters.
Grow and Hokko seem potentially enjoyable.
Others not so much.

Encased is good, though a little front loaded.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've been using Hitman 3 as my "something to do while watching a video" game. I've beaten the entire trilogy several times over and now I'm going through and completing all the Escalation missions and getting all my location masteries up to max to unlock everything. Consolidating everything is a smart move.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Has anyone played https://store.steampowered.com/app/1874490/Potionomics/ ?

If they have could they say if it's in any way similar to Recettear? I've been looking for another game to scratch that itch for awhile now and this looks like the closest yet but still would like some goon opinions if possible.

Otherwise I might just pick up the Spark The Electric Jester pack or somethin for this winter sale.

A lot of the bad rap for that game was some garbage tier UI that didn't even let you sort portion ingredients when you're getting into hundreds of different items. I believe the latest patches or updates made a lot of major QoL changes to the game.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I want to buy Elden Ring and for me the site that has it cheapest of all is https://www.gamersgate.com/

Does anyone have a coupon/referral code for it? I've heard I can get an extra discount.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Bought Hades & Pyre both in the sale. Hades was the main draw, but I loved Bastion and Transistor, just never heard much about Pyre. I’m such a fan (and anticipated being a fan of Hades!) of the two Supergiant games I figured for $5 I’d go ahead on in with Pyre anyway. My internet is 4G cellular, so I won’t be able to play either game till tomorrow, but I’m excited. Transistor especially moved Supergiant into “buy just to support the devs” category. Maybe that could be a new wishlist tag or something…any “wish I knew before starting” tips for either?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

DerekSmartymans posted:

Bought Hades & Pyre both in the sale. Hades was the main draw, but I loved Bastion and Transistor, just never heard much about Pyre. I’m such a fan (and anticipated being a fan of Hades!) of the two Supergiant games I figured for $5 I’d go ahead on in with Pyre anyway. My internet is 4G cellular, so I won’t be able to play either game till tomorrow, but I’m excited. Transistor especially moved Supergiant into “buy just to support the devs” category. Maybe that could be a new wishlist tag or something…any “wish I knew before starting” tips for either?

Have you tried https://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Category:Games yet?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the main thing to know about pyre is it's explicitly designed such that the story continues and changes regardless of whether you win or lose the nba jam match, you should avoid the urge to savescum win every single playoff

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

the main thing to know about pyre is it's explicitly designed such that the story continues and changes regardless of whether you win or lose the nba jam match, you should avoid the urge to savescum win every single playoff

I lost every single boss battle in the game and still had pretty satisfying ending (although it doesn't really account for someone deliberately doing it).

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

victrix posted:

so I posted about Archvale a few days ago and was like "I hope they're still making something cuz I loved Archvale"

https://twitter.com/_idoz/status/1610345437315072001?t=4TCaxrEx22axSviB8GF7rg&s=1

:neckbeard:

oh gently caress yeah, archvale's a true hidden gem

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

DerekSmartymans posted:

any “wish I knew before starting” tips for either?

I remember the girl (You can give her about 15 different names) had an ability that basically trivialized the gameplay once you unlocked it. There's so little info on the game online that I can't find a skill tree anywhere but I think it was one that let her respawn immediately after carrying the ball into the goal or something to that effect.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Det_no posted:

I want to buy Elden Ring and for me the site that has it cheapest of all is https://www.gamersgate.com/

Does anyone have a coupon/referral code for it? I've heard I can get an extra discount.

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/eldenring/info/

Set the correct region and currency for where you at.
Not much cheaper, maybe a buck or two.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Lol I never heard of this site, but when I clicked it was already bookmarked…so I guess I have seen it before. Thanks for that!

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

sauer kraut posted:

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/eldenring/info/

Set the correct region and currency for where you at.
Not much cheaper, maybe a buck or two.

Gamersgate is the best option with codes that actually work for my region. They also have codes that give you a tiny extra discount, like the RGAMEDEALS one from a subreddit, but they don't work with that particular deal it seems. gently caress it, I just bought it as is.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Shivers posted:

The game you're looking for is called 'Shadows of Forbidden Gods'. It's on steam in early access and it's still being developed.

Thank you!! Apparently I did put this on my wishlist but it got buried by the 500 other vaguely interesting games I threw on there so I didn't forget about them forever

Also I got Cult of the Lamb in the sale and...I'm pretty underwhelmed so far honestly! I played for maybe 4-5 hours and only died a couple times, but the whole experience feels like less than the sum of its parts. I'm playing on the suggested difficulty and thinking maybe I should bump it up because it hasn't felt really challenging so far, just kind of stressful and rushed, but I don't know if a higher difficulty would actually balance that out. I know it made a big splash and I've seen it on multiple GoTY lists so I'm open to the idea I'm missing something.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Cult of the Lamb had a nice visual style and snappy combat but was kind of shallow beyond that. If you've already played for 4+ hours and aren't enjoying it you're unlikely to run into anything that will change your mind.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Instead of purchasing Elden Ring I decided to play Dark Souls 2, since I own it, and so far I'm having a good weird time. It feels like I've stumbled into somebody else's dream. I am a [person] who is being driven mad because my [zombie curse] has ruined my memories of some nice lady, and now I'm in a ruined kingdom stabbing zombies (and really tough pigs?) for souls, which I am giving to a lady in order to become more powerful.

Everything feels intensely familiar thanks to my watching of like 3+ LPs of Dark Souls 1 (it's a fascinating game) but also terrifying because I don't know where any of the traps or ambushes are, and the notes and bloodstains aren't reliable.

Also I managed to go through a long passage and make it to a kingdom(?) full of armored giant knights first and that taught me a lot about watching enemy patterns and dying. I later came back to the first "main" hub bonfire and found a much easier place full of trees and angry zombies.

I'm playing as a knight, as it starts with a big sword, and in Monster Hunter my best weapon was the greatsword.

(Bonus aside: I've played a lot of Nioh and enjoyed it, some Monster Hunter and enjoyed it - need to return to both to beat 'em - but none of the From games yet. I've tried Dark Souls 1 several times but between my first experience being keyboard controls (it was bad!) and the LPs spoiling it, I no longer want to learn that game. I want new stuff!)

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
If you liked Nioh chances are you'll get something out of any of EldenSoulsBorns. I wish Bloodborn had a PC port because that game was amazing and a good change of scenery from the typical fantasy nightmare stuff Dark Souls does.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I frankly said to myself, "if you buy Elden Ring will you play it / actually beat any of the bosses in it? be sure. play 2 first, it'll go on discount again in the future" and I'm having a good time, so this has worked out. I'll build up a skillset for ER, too.

I still need to pick up Dark Souls 3 at some point, but no rush on that - I'm doing my best this sale to not buy things I won't play.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Honesty very jealous of anyone playing Dark Souls 2 as their first Souls game in 2023. I love the game but it's tough giving up some of the mechanical/QOL improvements from the games that came afterwards. You have a very cool and weird and massive game ahead of you.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

woke kaczynski posted:

Thank you!! Apparently I did put this on my wishlist but it got buried by the 500 other vaguely interesting games I threw on there so I didn't forget about them forever

Also I got Cult of the Lamb in the sale and...I'm pretty underwhelmed so far honestly! I played for maybe 4-5 hours and only died a couple times, but the whole experience feels like less than the sum of its parts. I'm playing on the suggested difficulty and thinking maybe I should bump it up because it hasn't felt really challenging so far, just kind of stressful and rushed, but I don't know if a higher difficulty would actually balance that out. I know it made a big splash and I've seen it on multiple GoTY lists so I'm open to the idea I'm missing something.

CotL was a great weekend game for me. Blasted through the whole thing and enjoyed it, but I dont really have a desire to go back unless they release DLC or something for it. Its extremely easy so def up the difficulty if you think you can handle it

wouldnt say its GotY material, but i think its a perfectly fine little game that doesnt have much legs to it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

goferchan posted:

Honesty very jealous of anyone playing Dark Souls 2 as their first Souls game in 2023. I love the game but it's tough giving up some of the mechanical/QOL improvements from the games that came afterwards. You have a very cool and weird and massive game ahead of you.

I've always heard it was bad, but never quite pinned down why - I think it was the very disjointed, weird world design? I know DS1 is a masterclass in how to design a metroidvania map, but IIRC DS2 is messy / nothing fits together / it's very awkward?

But I'm trying to remember opinions I read from like a year or two ago.

I adore weird games almost more than straightforward fun ones. :allears: It's part of why I'm spending so much time with Othercide right now.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I frankly said to myself, "if you buy Elden Ring will you play it / actually beat any of the bosses in it? be sure. play 2 first, it'll go on discount again in the future" and I'm having a good time, so this has worked out. I'll build up a skillset for ER, too.

I still need to pick up Dark Souls 3 at some point, but no rush on that - I'm doing my best this sale to not buy things I won't play.

Dark Souls 3 is great and definitely the most refined entry of the trilogy but it loses a tiny bit of magic in that refinement. Dark Souls 2 feels like them coming off the high of Dark Souls being a surprise hit and saying "okay, if we got away with THAT, then let's try THIS" -- they hadn't quite figured out the formula of what makes the games stick at that point, so there are a lot of novel ideas in it. Some work, some don't, but that's the nature of new ideas.

edit: ^^^^ I think a lot of this applies to your post above. It's definitely a messy game but that also means there's a lot of cool and weird poo poo in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
How does the Steam port of Dwarf Fortress run? I vaguely recall the OG version giving some people a lot of trouble, even though it's all displayed in ACSI graphics, due to how much stuff it had to process in the background.