Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Not so much "struggling to fold in the Avengers," though, considering it was a five-issue story and three of them were issues of the Avengers (well, two Avengers, one Avengers West Coast)

Bloodties was really the centerpiece of that brief period of time when they were moving out of the "the X-Books are basically their own thing and never touch the MU outside of maybe Annuals" stage and into "integrating the X-Men into the Marvel Universe proper" stage - a stage that only lasted a few years before Marvel Studios became a thing, the Avengers became the centerpiece of the company, and it was the X-Men getting dragged along by events in the Avengers titles for once
Strictly speaking, Marvel Studios in its nascent form was founded in 1993, the same year as the Bloodties crossover. That was the same year that Marvel optioned the X-Men to Fox for a series of movies.

Before 1993, I don't think there was much of a barrier between the X-Books and Everything else; the X-Men were a major part of pretty much every crossover/event that happened before 1993 (both Secret Wars, the Infinity Gauntlet/War/Crusade books, Acts of Vengeance) and the biggest X-Men event (Inferno) also spread out into other books. There were also plenty of smaller crossovers like Bloodties, with X-Men/X-Men characters appearing in other books, and other characters appearing in the X-Men books throughout the 1970s/1980s/early 1990s.

So Bloodties was not the centerpiece of the the timeline of X-Men/Marvel crossovers, though not long after Bloodties, Tom DeFalco got fired as editor in chief and Marvel reorganized so there was no singular editor-in-chief but instead lines/fiefdoms of books run by Bob Harras, Mark Gruenwald, Bobbie Chase, etc. That lasted less than a year before Bob Harras (the X-Editor) became the full editor-in-chief. Almost immediately he started trying to bring in the Image guys and tried to farm out everything that wasn't X-Men or Spider-Man to other people. This all kicked off with Onslaught, an X-Men crossover that touched every corner of the Marvel Universe and ended with the Avengers and FF "dying" and going over into the Liefeld/Lee Heroes Reborn books. They eventually came back, but arguably the period of like 1996-2000 was the biggest "X-Men basically exist in their own corner of the universe" period of publication, and even then the last Big Marvel Event for several years was Maximum Security, a crossover that also involved the X-Men pretty heavily.

One of the other "let's farm out everything besides X-Men and Spider-Man" efforts from Harras was Marvel Knights, which was ultimately Harras's undoing as the new management at Marvel liked Joe Quesada's MK work more than Harras's work on everything else, and replaced him as editor in chief. The early Jemas/Quesada era was really light on crossovers/events in general, which meant the X-Books were pretty separated, both from everything else and each other. This was also true for just about every comic for several years.

When the Quesada/Jemas regime finally decided to do a Big Marvel Event 4-5 years in it was... "Astonishing X-Men/New Avengers: House of M" which as the full title suggests, involved the X-Men touching other books. It was another year before Marvel reacquired the rights to Iron Man. There is/was a decent argument to be made that all of the events from Civil War onwards "drag along the X-Men", but only in the sense that they were not the inciting incident/characters for the crossover; the X-Books still participated in Civil War, Secret Invasion, Fear Itself, etc. Avengers vs. X-Men was co-headlined, as was Inhumans vs. X-Men. Secret Wars was rumored to somehow write out the X-Men, but they ended up getting a dozen tie-in mini-series during the event.

I know that the latter day Perlmutter era made some moves (both in comics and especially in licensing) to reduce the outsized influence of the X-Men, but I don't really see many (or really any) concerted efforts to separate them from the Marvel Universe. It's true that a bunch of 2000s/2010s crossovers didn't have the X-Men as a focal point, but that was true in the 1980s and 1990s as well, and other than the fact that there's usually a dozen X-Books at any point after 1995, I don't see how it's that different than Daredevil or Spider-Man or Thor or Hulk or the Fantastic Four or Punisher "getting dragged into" events that do not focus on them. That doesn't mean they aren't really part of the mainline Marvel Universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The “No More Mutants” really overshadows what a big deal just doing the event was. X-Men was riding the Whedon wave after Morrison, and Bendis had dragged the Avengers franchise into the 21st century. The two franchises were pretty much on equal footing for the first time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Forge follows the Five Second Rule. I love it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Connor from cerebro probably had to go and dig a grave so he could spin in it after that splash page of jean slapping maddie

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
So at y’all’s recommendation I made my way through Dawn of X and then X of Swords. I liked them!

Couple questions. If I’m invested in this realm of books, what are they called? X-books? Like I haven’t touched any of the avengers/fantastic 4/whatever else and I’m okay with that.

I was going with the reading lists that Unlimited provides for Dawn/Swords and noticed a stray Empyre issue in there. Now I’m just going by release date until I get to the hellfire gala event and there’s an issue of SWORD (#2) that looks like it’s dealing with King in Black stuff. It wasn’t labeled that on the cover, but the earth’s atmosphere is covered in a layer of symbiote goop?

If I don’t really care about non-x related stuff, am I missing out by skipping empyre and king in black? If these are monumental pieces of story telling I can check them out, but if there are just some tangentially related issues scattered in to the broader x books, I can probably skip.

Also, in a sea of good art, the X-Force issues are standing out as very not that. The story is kind of interesting but David Baldeon just draws people unpleasantly.

E: I’m sorry if this has all been addressed earlier in the thread. I’m trying to avoid spoiling these stories as I read through them so I’ve skipped a lot of posts.

zelah fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 2, 2023

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Empyre is an okay story but doesn't matter much to the X-Men outside of SWORD and X-Men Red. So you'll be able to pick up on what happens in them well enough without finding the storyline. Same with King in Black, except the story is pretty bad.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

zelah posted:

If I don’t really care about non-x related stuff, am I missing out by skipping empyre and king in black? If these are monumental pieces of story telling I can check them out, but if there are just some tangentially related issues scattered in to the broader x books, I can probably skip.

Most big "crossover stories" in modern comics are written in such a way that - at least in theory - if you're not following the whole crossover but are instead just reading a book or two, you should be able to keep doing that.

So for the King in Black tie-in specifically, for example - there's a bunch of Symbiote Things happening and it's all very scare and if all you're reading is SWORD, you don't really have to give a poo poo about it. Anything you desperately need to know, you'll find in those SWORD issues. Where did the symbiotes come from? What's going on? Who beats the bad guy in the end? Don't worry about that stuff, you don't have to care.

So, in general, that's the guideline. Don't worry about it. If an event or a crossover is spinning out of the X-books, well, that might be a whole other thing - but Empyre is effectively an Avengers story and King in Black is essentially a Venom story, so, yeah, basically just don't sweat it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
honestly i think the only thing that really followed up on empyre was Last Annihilation

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Yeah you don't need to read Empyre or King of Black.

Are you reading all the X series at that time? I'd suggest that's not necessary. Sword, Marauders, X-Men are probably the best of that bunch.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Thanks!

The highlight of X of Swords, for me, was the goose Captain Britain. Big fan of that goose. Hope so see more of it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so you're a natural excalibur fan, then. read the original run!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I grew up on a vastly different comic reading experience, just whatever looked cool and was available on the newsstand.

Drop in during the middle of a 6 part story? Who're all these people? What are all the *'s referring to? You'll never know little kid, at least not til you wake up in the middle of the night decades later wondering what that was all about and asking the internet 'hey remember the time captain america got dunked into a vatful of estrogen? what was up with that?'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

danbanana posted:

Yeah you don't need to read Empyre or King of Black.

Are you reading all the X series at that time? I'd suggest that's not necessary. Sword, Marauders, X-Men are probably the best of that bunch.

Don't sleep on Hellions. It's up there.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Currently reading by release date on Unlimited:
X-Men
X-Force
X-Factor
Marauders
Hellions
SWORD
Excalibur
Wolverine
New Mutants

I think that’s all of them. Once I’m all caught up with that I guess I’ll go back and check out some older stuff.

zelah fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 2, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

zelah posted:

Currently reading by release date on Unlimited:
X-Men
X-Force
X-Factor
Marauders
Hellions
SWORD
Excalibur
Wolverine
New Mutants

I think that’s all of them. Once I’m all caught up with that I guess I’ll go back and check out some older stuff.

Recommend Immortal X-Men too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Immortal X-Men isnt til much later in the timeline.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Dawgstar posted:

Don't sleep on Hellions. It's up there.

I was thinking Hellions and typed "Marauders" for the most obvious reason.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
Hey, I just saw some recent, I think, panels of Nightcrawler. Glad he's got the facial hair back, but what's up with the horns and the spikes and stuff? More stupid hell poo poo, selling his soul consequences, something hilariously unrelated?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Agaragon posted:

Hey, I just saw some recent, I think, panels of Nightcrawler. Glad he's got the facial hair back, but what's up with the horns and the spikes and stuff? More stupid hell poo poo, selling his soul consequences, something hilariously unrelated?

No one knows. It's a mystery currently being explored in the current story arc

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1609957711029977093

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Voting beast

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kurt's been regularly clashing with sinister for a while now in multiple books, and also promo art for sins of sinister shows his physical mutation becomes much worse over time. the cause seems pretty obvious to me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

site posted:

Voting beast

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

site posted:

Voting beast

Vote blue no matter who!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rochallor posted:

Vote blue no matter who!

Raven

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

site posted:

Voting beast

They have seen the results of too many internet polls to even let him be a candidate but I would totally vote for him just to see how it all plays out

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I would love Beast to be on the X-Men again just so he would be around people that would call him on his bullshit.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I think the "resolution" to X-Force Beast is to have him be elected onto the X-Men and then just write him as Hank circa 1992, like the last 10+ years just didn't happen.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

danbanana posted:

I think the "resolution" to X-Force Beast is to have him be elected onto the X-Men and then just write him as Hank circa 1992, like the last 10+ years just didn't happen. kidnapped by Simon Williams who hotboxes him with Krakoan cannabis grown by Dr. Nemesis and for, like a full year thanks to Tempo's assistance.

There we go.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

rantmo posted:

There we go.

This is the only rehabilitation arc I would accept, but it would also require current Wonder Man to stop being such a loving sad sack

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Soonmot posted:

This is the only rehabilitation arc I would accept, but it would also require current Wonder Man to stop being such a loving sad sack

Two birds, one stone(r)!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Coming this Summer, only on MOJO-TV:

X-TREME CELEBRITY REHAB! Join host ADAM-X, THE X-TREME as he puts Marvel's most shiftless superheroes through a strenuous course of image rehab and recreational pharmaceuticals! This season is a two-for-one - Krakoa's Biggest Supervillain, BEAST, and his old pal from the Avengers when we all liked them because they hadn't hit middle age, WONDER MAN! MOJOPLUS Subscribers get access to the 24/7 Hotbox Room feed! Call your cable provider TODAY!

(gently caress now I'm a little sad this doesn't exist)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
as far as reactions to a life of super heroism go, wonder man's pacifism is way better than committing genocide.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

X-Men Red finishes another arc on yet another high note. And I love that ending reveal, which I'll spoil in a single emoji. ♠️

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

glitchwraith posted:

X-Men Red finishes another arc on yet another high note. And I love that ending reveal, which I'll spoil in a single emoji. ♠️

So far all the theories on the different clones of Sinister have been correct.

All that's left is Mother Righteous as the heart.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NGL, I was disappointed that Orbis Stellaris wasn't Stryfe after Cable said they'd talk "quite literally face to face!"

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

NGL, I was disappointed that Orbis Stellaris wasn't Stryfe after Cable said they'd talk "quite literally face to face!"

Cue Cerebrocast's "Surprise Bitch, I'm YOU!" audio.

Fake Edit: Actually, I'm just posting the animatic, because it's that good.

https://twitter.com/CerebroCast/status/1401330515635060736?s=20&t=DRaN9c7rAFfQe-v31u06Ng

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think villain beast is good because he's fun to hate and i have no particular fondness for earlier incarnations of the character. but this here is some real bullshit. if he's going to keep getting away with poo poo, there has to be an actual reason for why that is. every other current member of x-force has been in an experimental torture prison at some point! what the heck is up with this lackluster reaction?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Endless Mike posted:

That sequence (and the dialogue) is borrowed wholesale from X-Cutioner's Song where he was quite literally talking about Stryfe (who was in cahoots with Mr. Sinister) so who knows, maybe we've got some Stryfe in our future. The X-Books sure are doing a lot with clones of late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

One of the greatest panels in comic book history. You thought you knew what an action hero from the 90's is? You were wrong!