Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

Oh ok that's a lot better

Even NFL fans aren't quite that du-weellll, ok maybe. It had $900k last night when I contributed I can't believe it's this high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The EV industry is full of that stuff. Nobody honestly advertises cold weather driving ranges, and the ranges they do advertise are based on charging your battery to 100% which they tell you not to actually do because it will damage your battery.

Not everybody agrees with me that this is a big deal (traditional gasoline cars aren't very clear about things impacting range either) but it sure would be nice if they stopped doing it.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 3, 2023

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

This will also impact other major vehicle retailers, i bet the ford lightning costs them some money for not being open and out front about cold impacting the range

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
A genuine question- would Tesla actually even perform better if Musk were stripped of his status as CEO, or is the company poisoned throughout? With Space X, at least I see some actual work and people in parts of the management chain that aren't complete loving idiots, so having him step down there feels like it matters. No idea if the same can even be said for Tesla, though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Perform better as in be a more successful, larger car manufacturer? Probably.
Perform better as in maximizing share price? No.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

A genuine question- would Tesla actually even perform better if Musk were stripped of his status as CEO, or is the company poisoned throughout? With Space X, at least I see some actual work and people in parts of the management chain that aren't complete loving idiots, so having him step down there feels like it matters. No idea if the same can even be said for Tesla, though.
Tesla is performing good for an upstart car company, most fail after their first couple prototypes on the transition to assembly line manufacturing. Tesla is bobbling a bit here but still managing to make and sell things which is more than most come lately car companies have managed.

Tesla stock was valuated on it completely edging out all other traditional companies in EVs though and it's quickly becoming clear there isn't a smooth path there between big brain Elon and the actual results of Tesla being a reasonably good upstart and not a world changing one. The stock only has down to go even if they smooth some of their issues as people are realizing it's just a car company, duh.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

all it will take is one big twitter files drop to turn this all around baby just wait

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

If they booted Musk the stock would crater down to where it should be, which would probably result in a lot of other problems.

That said Musk also seems to believe that workers should be honored to work 14 hour days and pride in their work should result in production perfection, so bringing in a CEO that says "maybe we should have a QA department" would probably help Tesla in the long run

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Theoretically yes, but the board is all Musketeers so they'd probably just find someone equally stupid to run it into the ground.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I dunno if it isn't too late. But I feel like it was 100% his dumb idea to do the dumbass model X, the semi and the cybetruck instead of the cars people are actually buying, i.e. normal SUV/minivans and trucks, and then a cheaper and more compact sedan/hatchback.

E: like they're not targeting any of the segments here in the top ~30 or so

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 3, 2023

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

Yes, but it’s probably OK to post them in a thread specifically concerned with the failings of a white supremacist who personally benefitted from apartheid

oh was that quoting a white supremacist post from somewhere else?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Tiny Timbs posted:

The EV industry is full of that stuff. Nobody honestly advertises cold weather driving ranges, and the ranges they do advertise are based on charging your battery to 100% which they tell you not to actually do because it will damage your battery.

Not everybody agrees with me that this is a big deal (traditional gasoline cars aren't very clear about things impacting range either) but it sure would be nice if they stopped doing it.

Yeah, depending on what you need for commute, errands, it could be severely limiting.

How much does running the heater/defrost take away from batteries?

Also I'm going to make a wild guess that batteries also don't like 30-40 degree temperature changes in 8 or so hours in non-climate controlled areas (aka outside).

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Tesla’s whole thing was that they were just that far ahead of the game when it came to EVs. Their cars are pieces of poo poo by any objective measure of quality, but if you wanted an electric vehicle that could get you further than work and back, a Tesla (and access to its charging network) was the only game in town. That’s not the case anymore.

They also have a complete loving dolt as the very public face of their operations, which doesn’t help.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Mozi posted:

lol dude i was obviously using AI generated text there

jesus how obvious did it need to be

sounds like someone's forgotten the motto for bitcoin

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

Yeah, depending on what you need for commute, errands, it could be severely limiting.

Also I'm going to make a wild guess that batteries also don't like 30-40 degree temperature changes in 8 or so hours in non-climate controlled areas (aka outside).

"It depends"

Winter in VA raises my consumption so a work commute that brings me down to 80% in the summer brings me down to 70% instead

Newer cars like mine use heat pumps for climate control so as long as the temperature is above 40F-ish you'll get something like 5-10mi improved range

Driving uphill and into headwinds will utterly wreck your battery life

All these are things that affect ICE cars too but range is a bigger deal for EVs obviously

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Idk about the EU but it’s certainly the case in the U.K. where you can’t bullshit the range on electric cars/bikes by law, so the range is always written like 100-400 miles and no sales person will give you any sort of solid answer.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

It’s not that. Batteries just don’t work as well in the cold. My leaf was about 55-60% of normal range during winter. There is no ev that isn’t subject to this.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

If the real goal was to actually create automobiles that the public would want to use and adopt long term - they should've partnered up with Toyota around circa 2012 or so - given them the battery tech, allowed Toyota to design, manufacture, and support an EV class of car using Tesla's battery/motor tech and throw the rest away. Maybe allow Tesla as some small offshoot brand of enthusiast "super car" EV bullshittery on the side.

But no. Now we have cars that fart on command, explode, and need constant over the air software updates to ensure children aren't endlessly mowed down at every crosswalk.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
It also sucks battery to create heat in the winter, combined with lower battery performance, causes significant loss of range. ICE cars have the benefit of engine heat to heat the cabin as a side effect of combustion (unless you drive a diesel in a place that regularly gets blow freezing temperatures).

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I use electric bikes and battery life with those is measured in elevation gain or loss.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Almost Smart posted:

That’s not the case anymore.

Even if the battery tech isn't quite as good, I would get an XC40 before a tesla because Volvo knows how to make a loving car.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Noblesse Obliged posted:

It’s not that. Batteries just don’t work as well in the cold. My leaf was about 55-60% of normal range during winter. There is no ev that isn’t subject to this.

so few understand this

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Also you can have a heat pump which doesn’t move heat when it’s -14c outside very well, or you can have a resistive heater that does but sucks the juice up.

Mine had the heat pump and would just keep the windows defrosted during the really cold -20 days. Fortunately that’s only a couple times a winter.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

EV trip planners (incl. Google Maps) will take elevation changes, weather, your car's specs, etc. into account and they are generally pretty accurate (and always err on the side of caution) so if you use those to plan longer trips you'll stay out of trouble

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

It also sucks battery to create heat in the winter, combined with lower battery performance, causes significant loss of range. ICE cars have the benefit of engine heat to heat the cabin as a side effect of combustion (unless you drive a diesel in a place that regularly gets blow freezing temperatures).

ICEs also get worse economy in the winter, the denser air also plays into that. I think Teslabjorn tested the Model 3 in the cold and it was down to 300km highway range, so you'd be charging every two hours of travel.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I figured it's not Tesla specific. Just seems like affordability and utility are things that are far off for me, as far as EV's go.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

mobby_6kl posted:

ICEs also get worse economy in the winter, the denser air also plays into that. I think Teslabjorn tested the Model 3 in the cold and it was down to 300km highway range, so you'd be charging every two hours of travel.

Sort of, the Bjorn part would say Scandinavian and unless you are doing what Europeans call long distance traveling, which would be to several countries over, 300km range isn’t a concern. Average commute is maybe 12 miles here.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Also you can have a heat pump which doesn’t move heat when it’s -14c outside very well, or you can have a resistive heater that does but sucks the juice up.

Mine had the heat pump and would just keep the windows defrosted during the really cold -20 days. Fortunately that’s only a couple times a winter.

Cars with heatpumps can (should) have backup resistive heat elements for when the temp is too cold.

You can (hopefully) preheat the car ahead of time while still connected to the grid so you can reduce the battery hit from using it too. Though those with street parking/returning from a place without charging will be SOL.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

Yup, but also usually means you get slightly more power in the winter, depending on conditions.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Tiny Timbs posted:

EV trip planners (incl. Google Maps) will take elevation changes, weather, your car's specs, etc. into account and they are generally pretty accurate (and always err on the side of caution) so if you use those to plan longer trips you'll stay out of trouble

Gonna funnel R&D money out of fixing any of this and into running down children more efficiently

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

learnincurve posted:

Idk about the EU but it’s certainly the case in the U.K. where you can’t bullshit the range on electric cars/bikes by law, so the range is always written like 100-400 miles and no sales person will give you any sort of solid answer.

It's similar in the EU, to the point that many manufacturers advertised pretty conservative ranges for EVs which can not only be met but even exceeded on a regular basis even with "normal" driving. At least that's what a lot of reviews of EVs from respectable sources like AMuS reported. No idea if manufacturers adjusted that by now, but the first batch of advertised EVs seemed to have absolutely no bullshit range promises in their ads here.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Cars with heatpumps can (should) have backup resistive heat elements for when the temp is too cold.

You can (hopefully) preheat the car ahead of time while still connected to the grid so you can reduce the battery hit from using it too. Though those with street parking/returning from a place without charging will be SOL.

Ya I think they improved it since the 2019 model release. I was the last year before the improved range and better cold weather features were added. It wasn’t that big a problem. My commute was still within range even on the coldest day and I just kept my toque and gloves on for the drive. Still warmed up inside but not super warm.

AC however was phenomenal

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

The value quoted is 50.5% less range than advertised, this is absolutely not representative of the EV industry. I drive a Polestar and I lose about 10% of my range in freezing cold weather compared to temperate conditions and much of that is probably because I'm blasting the heater

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

mobby_6kl posted:

Most of the ICE economy issues come from the engine running rich for longer while warning up.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

The value quoted is 50.5% less range than advertised, this is absolutely not representative of the EV industry. I drive a Polestar and I lose about 10% of my range in freezing cold weather compared to temperate conditions and much of that is probably because I'm blasting the heater

yeah so do I read my other post lol

i was referring to estimated ranges being off for various reasons, not whatever specific bullshit number Tesla is quoting

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

Sort of, the Bjorn part would say Scandinavian and unless you are doing what Europeans call long distance traveling, which would be to several countries over, 300km range isn’t a concern. Average commute is maybe 12 miles here.
Yes, he's in Norway. The range is never a concern for commuting, obviously. I didn't mean to start the usual argument, it was just an example where the range could be affected quite significantly.

Azhais posted:

Most of the ICE economy issues come from the engine running rich for longer while warning up.
That doesn't help obviously but you can reset the counter after warming up and it'll still be poo poo :)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

yeah so do I read my other post lol

i was referring to estimated ranges being off for various reasons, not whatever specific bullshit number Tesla is quoting

The true range being 50.5% less than the advertised range is not representative of the EV industry

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I never said it was

The article says the representative number is more like (up to) 40%. I can't speak for shitbox EVs, which is why I pointed out that my own drops by 10% in cold weather.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 3, 2023

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

QuarkJets posted:

The true range being 50.5% less than the advertised range is not representative of the EV industry

Musk is basically getting a crash course in the emissions scandal and Why Countries Outside North America Give A poo poo About These Things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

I never said it was

?

Tiny Timbs posted:

The EV industry is full of that stuff. Nobody honestly advertises cold weather driving ranges

?????