Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pentiment is secretly the sequel to 1990s occult RPG Darklands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

FreudianSlippers posted:

Pentiment has a ghost, occult rituals, pagan festivals, precognitive visions of doom, grave robbing, and brutal murder...

it's at least horror adjacent.

Yeah it rules that you can play Andreas as a nice but naive dude, a complete rear end in a top hat, or just the most insufferable nerd in Christendom without any of it feeling out of character.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about your winter vacation.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

The Devil In Me trip report:

Not bad, but a little redundant most of the way through (RUN AWAY!), as well as some horror tropes that got annoying after a while the killer always slow-walking towards the victims, always popping up in the right place at the right time, situations where they had a 5v1 advantage on him and we're supposed to assume that they couldn't take him, and how the gently caress could he survive being chewed up by a propeller AND the boat exploding at the end? The SAW vibes were actually cool, but more variety or a better twist would have been cooler.

House of Ashes had a more convincing story/setting. It's a good play, but I wouldn't go through it again. 6/10.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Yeah I ended up cooling on it a bit. Just got too repetitive. I'll still rent the next one.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

IT BURNS posted:

The Devil In Me trip report:

Not bad, but a little redundant most of the way through (RUN AWAY!), as well as some horror tropes that got annoying after a while the killer always slow-walking towards the victims, always popping up in the right place at the right time, situations where they had a 5v1 advantage on him and we're supposed to assume that they couldn't take him, and how the gently caress could he survive being chewed up by a propeller AND the boat exploding at the end? The SAW vibes were actually cool, but more variety or a better twist would have been cooler.

House of Ashes had a more convincing story/setting. It's a good play, but I wouldn't go through it again. 6/10.

It really doesn't do anything with the saw vibe, except for one or two scenes. otherwise its just a generic slasher villain going around killing people. Also, how the heck can a FBI agent afford to build not just one, but two murder mansions.

I think this game really suffered from Supermassive Games working on the Quarry at the same time.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I liked The Devil in Me okay but it really was just kind of a dumb slasher affair and nothing else. Run away from the scary man repeatedly. I think what also hurt it is there’s not much in the way of a central mystery to unravel, which made it feel even more flat.

I thought the acting was a step above the previous dark pictures games though, not counting the intro, gee whiz.

I’m not sure I’d say it’s the weakest one, but maybe a little half baked. There’s neat new gameplay ideas that don’t really get fleshed out, too.

Still looking forward to the next one. In space!

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Seeing the Painscreek stuff compelled me to finally get it off my backlog and while I mostly had fun with it man they really did fumble that ending. e: Should have just done the Paradise Killer thing and let you justify a solution without telling you if it was right, even if it's painfully obvious by the end who did what.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 2, 2023

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Can someone tell me how scary Signalis is? Just remembered it's on Game Pass.

I am ok with horror-themed games, especially if theyr'e a bit silly/campy, but I can't really handle stuff like:
- Jump scares (especially if they are frequent and the super loud, jolting kind)
- Long, super tense moments of building dread, like Darkwood in general

The game preview definitely looks cool and fun and unique though!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The good thing about signalis is that it doesn't force its mood. It has a horror vibe but it's not going out of its way to scare you. There's no intentional jump scares.

Like, the game is quietly confident in what it is. It's nice and other developers really really should take note.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Nice, gonna get on that, thank you!

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Playing through Dusk at the moment. While I'm not sure where people think it lands as a full tilt horror game, it definitely goes some places and hits some strong notes. Whenever the game robs me of my flashlight, there's a panic akin to the loss of resource in any other horror game I've ever played - especially with some of the enemy variants.

Brilliant game generally speaking, too. Retro FPS/Horror is pound for pound my favourite mash up of genre's.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dusk is as scary as any Resident Evil I've played.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Middle part is real juicy with sci-fi Event Horizon loud scary machinery, loved the vibes

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dusk is Blood equivalent where it’s mostly camp horror then it surprises you with a strongly themed level.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The first time you meet Wendigo is pretty intense.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The cage dogs are such a bizarre design I always flip out when I see them but yeah the Wendigo alert is as anxiety inducing as the archvile in doom

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I personally got to Episode 3 of Dusk and had to tap out because of that enemy. You know the one. Like, it's not that bad for me when it's actually there and in my face, but the idea that it could suddenly burst out of anywhere, at any moment? Couldn't take it. Then again, I am Bad With Horror.

...it's also why I haven't bought Cultic. And have yet to finish Death Wish. :negative:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Artelier posted:

You know the one.

I sure do! Dusk really benefitted from the art direction and that PS1 era "deeply unsettling mind fills in the blank" minimalism of early polygons.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I've only just started Chapter 3 so it sounds like I've got more scares to come. Hype.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't played Dusk, but I played another game he did called Iron Lung and it was a pretty fun way to kill an hour (it's really short). Pretty original idea for a game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't played Dusk, but I played another game he did called Iron Lung and it was a pretty fun way to kill an hour (it's really short). Pretty original idea for a game.

iron lung has such an incredible gutpuncher of a setting conceit that it wisely does not extrapolate much on, and it's a creativity i wish more sci fi horror games would embrace instead of 90% of them being "what if the people on Space Station X turned into legally distinct zombies"

rox
Sep 7, 2016

yeah iron lung owns

short and sweet and extremely claustrophobic

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1610321617845886977?s=20&t=mnQP6q72f0f2ukFE8bPhMw

For those that don't have it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Someone cheeky should do Silent Hill in space so we can finally have the proper Solaris adaption they were alluding to.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

al-azad posted:

Someone cheeky should do Silent Hill in space so we can finally have the proper Solaris adaption they were alluding to.

let me tell you about a little game called Signalis

al-azad
May 28, 2009

D'oh!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Read After Burning posted:

Haven't plugged one of my favorite games in a while, but anyone who wants "horror vibes without necessarily being SCARY", check out Paradise Killer.

This is literal months after the fact, but having discovered this game recently myself, I echo this wholeheartedly. It's an investigation/walking sim with a deeply vaporwave aesthetic (one of the most unscary things I can think of) and there are no jumpscares at all, but the plot, setting and general themes create an atmosphere of alien morality and existential dread. Some of the best low-key "banality of evil" stuff I've seen in a game.

This is the premise: imagine the Cthulu mythos was real, strong, and not your friend, and came down to earth to enslave humanity. Humanity rebels, throws off the gods' chains, and progresses how they can. That isn't you. No, you belong to a faction of people who continued to worship the gods in secret, were rewarded with a god's power, and promptly used it to create an eternal paradise. One that is sustained by kidnapping people from the real world, enslaving them, and forcing them to worship the gods just in case they wake up angry (and maybe they'll give more toys), eventually being sacrificed en mass in a ritual to create a newer, even better paradise (allegedly).

You're here to solve a murder mystery. Not to help these kidnapped slaves at all- after all, the ritual has already happened: the only one left is the prime suspect in the murder case. Yeah, it's a little grim!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
playing PS2 Extermination and this game is weird, you can jump and scaffold pretty much anything in this

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Little Nightmares 2 has a great atmosphere as expected but it’s jumping and grabbing controls feel off

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

resurgam40 posted:

Paradise Killer

I'm not joking when I say that game was basically a Junji Ito-style "THIS IS MY HOLE GAME, IT WAS MADE FOR ME". The music, the vibes, the A E S T H E T I C...."vaporwave murder mystery" is basically a dream come true for me. :allears:

It immediately jumped to my top 3 of all time, easily.

VVV Yeah, I brought it up because someone was asking for "Halloween games that aren't outright scary", which kinda fits the bill. Like, poo poo in that game is definitely Not Okay, but nothing is chasing you or jumpscaring you.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 6, 2023

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Paradise Killer is a really really great game that almost no one knows about and I’d recommend it in a heartbeat but it’s very much not a horror game. Bizzare and surreal, but not scary.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Honest Thief posted:

playing PS2 Extermination and this game is weird, you can jump and scaffold pretty much anything in this

I fuckin love this dumb early PS2 game. One of my fondest memories of that era was playing a demo disk that had that game on it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

SettingSun posted:

I fuckin love this dumb early PS2 game. One of my fondest memories of that era was playing a demo disk that had that game on it.

hardcore US special forces marine, Dennis

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Designed by SWERY!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Holy poo poo swery did design it. Now I gotta find an iso dig out my PS2 and give it a playthrough.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm on a retro gaming binge, gonna give this Swery joint a whirl once I'm done with is PS1 Aliens shooter

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
I grabbed the faith trilogy in the steam sale and finally got around to trying it last night. I didn't have much time so I'll try again tonight, but right now I feel like I've been pranked. Walking around a forest like Atari 2600 ET just wasn't scary or fun. Please tell me it's worth getting through that part.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

man nurse posted:

Paradise Killer is a really really great game that almost no one knows about and I’d recommend it in a heartbeat but it’s very much not a horror game. Bizzare and surreal, but not scary.

I finished Paradise Killer yesterday and I wouldn't really describe it as a horror game at all either, but it is great and if you really investigate the island thoroughly you are going to realise how much more hosed up the situation is than it appears on the surface. So yeah, I guess it is kind of a horror game in that sense. The true horror is comes in accepting that justice is in the eye of the beholder and that a perfect world is probably never possible. Highly recommend it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

tensai posted:

I grabbed the faith trilogy in the steam sale and finally got around to trying it last night. I didn't have much time so I'll try again tonight, but right now I feel like I've been pranked. Walking around a forest like Atari 2600 ET just wasn't scary or fun. Please tell me it's worth getting through that part.

It gets better later on once the monsters start coming out but it's also like 95% vibes so if you aren't into it then you might not connect with it, especially since the first is pretty much considered the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

woodenchicken posted:

I'm on a retro gaming binge, gonna give this Swery joint a whirl once I'm done with is PS1 Aliens shooter

Resurrection or Trilogy?