Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

TheBizzness posted:

I know this isn't important at all but like... theres no way the Bills can even be ready to play by Sunday right let alone making up the Bengals game?

I know I certainly couldn't.

They'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Is anything happening at Statefarm Stadium on the 19th? Doesn't seem to be anything on their website, but their website doesnt even mention the superbowl.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

sweet thursday posted:

a dollar store Cicero named Schefter philosophizing on the nature of life and death itself.

:drat:

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

a neat cape posted:

This would be very logical and the NFL could just take away the bye week before the Superbowl

I had thought this last night. The only set date is the super bowl. They could play week 18 as normal and let this game resume the week after. Just cancel all the pro bowl stuff and shift the rest of the playoffs back a week.

I think a lot though depends on Hamlin's updates. If it looks like he's going to pull through, it makes it a lot easier to keep playing football.

And honestly there's a big part of me that hates even thinking about the football aspect of it at all because that's the last thing that matters right now.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

And honestly there's a big part of me that hates even thinking about the football aspect of it at all because that's the last thing that matters right now.

It's all we can do, same as the guys who were starting to warm up on the sideline while he was still being attended. Humans look for routine and comfort in such times.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Dango Bango posted:

Isn't the Chasing M's Foundation the name of it? Or is that something different / not set up by Damar?

Chasing M's Foundation is indeed the name of it, and Damar founded it, but it wasn't even remotely this potential scale up to now. In previous years, he'd barely been pulling in enough donations to not just have to fund the toy drive himself. That's what Lifespan is getting at - a $4.4m+ foundation is going to really need some legal help for oversight and whatnot and to make sure it gets structured properly.

On that note, lol my god they just keep featuring it on ESPN and whatnot, and as a result get more and more eyeballs on it. It's just a sniff under $4.4 million right now and it doesn't look like it's gonna slow down a jot after that mark. Going beyond 5 million is a real possibility here.

Please, god, let him wake up to that. :unsmith:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

bows1 posted:

Is anything happening at Statefarm Stadium on the 19th? Doesn't seem to be anything on their website, but their website doesnt even mention the superbowl.

Didn't see anything at a quick glance. But holy poo poo it would be amazing to get the Super Bowl off the same weekend as the Phoenix Open. (Obviously not the point here - just saying.)

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Cthulu Carl posted:

Yeah, that thought hit me I think about the time Ryan Clark was giving SVP that "[Hypothetical "Hey y'all, Damar's fine, he just had a fart stuck" news] That news doesn't let me hug my brother, doesn't let me hold his hand, doesn't let me see him after I saw what happened. Even if he's fine, the game should be postponed" speech.

A Manningcast (Or one of the McAfeecasts for the college playoffs)... I can't imagine that going well.

drat recovery from a fart stuck can be intense depending on what’s plugging you up

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

SpaceDrake posted:

Chasing M's Foundation is indeed the name of it, and Damar founded it, but it wasn't even remotely this potential scale up to now. In previous years, he'd barely been pulling in enough donations to not just have to fund the toy drive himself. That's what Lifespan is getting at - a $4.4m+ foundation is going to really need some legal help for oversight and whatnot and to make sure it gets structured properly.

On that note, lol my god they just keep featuring it on ESPN and whatnot, and as a result get more and more eyeballs on it. It's just a sniff under $4.4 million right now and it doesn't look like it's gonna slow down a jot after that mark. Going beyond 5 million is a real possibility here.

Please, god, let him wake up to that. :unsmith:

I agree with that. I'm a treasurer for a small non-profit with a low 5 figure bank account. If we suddenly got an influx of $5m, I don't know what the gently caress I'd do with it all and would probably have to hire a lawyer because accounts that size demand more oversight from the IRS. Currently, I just file an update with the IRS and the state corporation commission. No one in the government gives a poo poo about a little organization with $15k in the bank and no employee salaries.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Joey Freshwater posted:

How does it work when a player is injured to the point they can't play anymore or needs ongoing treatment? Is there like an NFL insurance plan or are they just expected to fend for themselves with whatever they've made playing?

He hasn't played four years and isn't a "vested veteran" so he'd be on his own, in theory. NFL might take care of him as part of their PR, however.

https://static.www.nfl.com/image/upload/v1613674163/league/zvha8z8hwj8mbvyprmii.pdf

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

TheBizzness posted:

I know this isn't important at all but like... theres no way the Bills can even be ready to play by Sunday right let alone making up the Bengals game?

I know I certainly couldn't.

Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah I think everything gets pushed forward a week at this point

I'll readily admit this particular empathy circuit in my brain is a little busted from my own traumatic experiences but this strikes me as a rather extreme reaction. Personal tragedies happen in sports all the time without the whole league coming to a halt. We'd be talking about the NFL treating this the same as 9/11.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

MrLogan posted:

He hasn't played four years and isn't a "vested veteran" so he'd be on his own, in theory. NFL might take care of him as part of their PR, however.

[url]https://static.https://www.nfl.com/image/upload/v1613674163/league/zvha8z8hwj8mbvyprmii.pdf[/url]

His medical at least is going to be 100% taken care of either by the Bills or the league itself, just from the PR angle alone.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Jarmak posted:

I'll readily admit this particular empathy circuit in my brain is a little busted from my own traumatic experiences but this strikes me as a rather extreme reaction. Personal tragedies happen in sports all the time without the whole league coming to a halt. We'd be talking about the NFL treating this the same as 9/11.

The entirety of the NFL just watched a man lay motionless with for 9 minutes on a field playing a game they will all be asked to go play in 6 days. A week off seems like the least you could do for everyone to get their heads straight.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Jarmak posted:

so what

e: this isn't rhetorical

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

indigi posted:

so what

e: this isn't rhetorical

"So what" is that it doesn't seem likely to me.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Jarmak posted:

This happened on the field during a game while a player was playing football. A national audience of a mega game watched a man die. What other "personal tragedies" are you comparing this to?

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

mdemone posted:

It's all we can do, same as the guys who were starting to warm up on the sideline while he was still being attended. Humans look for routine and comfort in such times.

Oh I get it. Especially the guys on the field. It's a distraction of something routine to throw a ball around, even if you have no intention of being able to finish the game.

I came in to work one Monday morning to learn a coworker committed suicide over the weekend. People all handled it differently, but my boss was all about divvying up his work and reassigning tasks. Some of my coworkers thought it was kind of heartless to be so focused on work, but I'm pretty sure it was all he was able to do at that time to keep himself together. He was actually a really great boss to work for, and just a good person too, everyone just handles these situations differently.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Komet posted:

I agree with that. I'm a treasurer for a small non-profit with a low 5 figure bank account. If we suddenly got an influx of $5m, I don't know what the gently caress I'd do with it all and would probably have to hire a lawyer because accounts that size demand more oversight from the IRS. Currently, I just file an update with the IRS and the state corporation commission. No one in the government gives a poo poo about a little organization with $15k in the bank and no employee salaries.

Yeah, like, 5m+ means that it's a bit more than a toy drive for McKees Rocks now. Hell, once he recovers he's going to have to decide what the larger scope is going to be - multiple toy drives across the less-privileged parts of Pittsburgh? Also some in Buffalo and Cincinnati, two more cities hollowed out by US de-industrialization? A more intense hometown focus and trying to spotlight the issues a lot of lakes-area cities face with the current arrangement of the American economy? Trying to go national with the toy drives?

He'll have options, but he's absolutely going to need some help sorting out what's practical and sustainable with that endowment and what isn't. Hopefully he can get some good advice once things calm down.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i keep jumping to motorsports comparisons in my head because this has all felt like a very similar vibe but i think there's a key difference when it comes to getting back in the saddle for the players, in that this was a total freak thing and not caused by the inherent nature of football. whenever there's a death or major injury in racing it brings into question the insanely dangerous nature of the sport and how it could happen to anyone, but here it's like... what are you going to do? football didn't cause it, you can only take your time to get your head back on straight and get back to it at some point

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fsif posted:

This happened on the field during a game while a player was playing football. A national audience of a mega game watched a man die. What other "personal tragedies" are you comparing this to?

It was a horrific image but he is still alive as far as anyone knows.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jarmak posted:

"So what" is that it doesn't seem likely to me.
Thats fair, but I dont think comparing a horrible tragedy outside of the sport (9/11) with a guy almost dying on the field of play and potentially could still die or be severely permanently negatively impacted is a fair comparison. Football is an American sport and everyone in America was affected by 9/11; Damar Hamlin is a football player who could have very easily died on the field last night playing the sport that is being discussed giving all other players a week off from.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
All these guys know it's dangerous but have to think "but not for me" every week.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

fsif posted:

What does the national audience have to do with whether the players are ready to play? I'm talking about player's family members, coaching staff, or even players themselves dying in tragic ways such as car accidents, cancer, shootings, or any other wide variety of bad things happening and them going out and playing within days of the event.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Komet posted:

I have a family member that runs a <$1m 501c3 and just asked about what a $5m influx would do. The question alone stressed them out, so I hope the family finds a knowledgeable lawyer and director to steer them the right way. Obviously that is not the priority at the moment though.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Thank you to MOST of you for not making GBS threads this up.

If you want to talk about all the is/isn't covid related poo poo take it elsewhere please

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

drat recovery from a fart stuck can be intense depending on what’s plugging you up

My wife thought she had that problem in '21 and it was an incarcerated hernia. She lost about a thumb sized piece of small bowel after I finally convinced her to go to the ER when she started vomiting the previous night's dinner.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Jarmak posted:

And, realistically, the only reason that they called the week after 9/11 was the enormous practical barrier of "you can't fly anywhere."

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

like yeah, people have lost loved ones and come out and played the next day, but in some ways I think the uncertainty can be more difficult. I bet everyone in the league has been anxiously refreshing their phone for the last 24 hours, watching the news, calling people, trying to get updates, thinking about every rough hit theyve ever dished out or taken. it's a huge mental drain and if the situation doesn't change in the next few days I think it could have a pretty major league-wide impact

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

lmao at skip bayless exposing everyone's lack of reading comprehension

I initially read that poorly-worded tweet with maximum optimism because I'm gullible af, but given the entire context around the situation I think it's safe to say that no blame should be given to people at all whatsoever for reading it the other way.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Sash! posted:

And, realistically, the only reason that they called the week after 9/11 was the enormous practical barrier of "you can't fly anywhere."

To be fair, it was also security concerns, but yeah it was more logistics than respect.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

It really does seem like some people think it takes like 30 minutes to pack everybody into a plane whenever the league wants.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

wernox posted:

My wife thought she had that problem in '21 and it was an incarcerated hernia. She lost about a thumb sized piece of small bowel after I finally convinced her to go to the ER when she started vomiting the previous night's dinner.

Thanks for this I hope your wife’s ruined rear end in a top hat is okay

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

AnacondaHL posted:

I initially read that poorly-worded tweet with maximum optimism because I'm gullible af, but given the entire context around the situation I think it's safe to say that no blame should be given to people at all whatsoever for reading it the other way.

The tweet ended with “which suddenly seems so irrelevant.” The straightforward reading is “postponing this game would be a big deal for the league but none of that feels like it matters right now.” Poorly considered, but not evil.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
One thing the NFL could change for these situations would be to mandate a Lucas device in all the medics driving onto the field. Maybe they do and were using one yesterday, but I didn't see any media reports about a machine doing the CPR so I assume it was all by hand. I imagine a normal human doing CPR on a 6'7' 350 OT would suck rear end and not be very high quality.

Healthy people who get good CPR very fast without a fundamental fatal heart problem can do very well and can eventually go back to being sports guys getting their brains turned into jelly. So have some hope and ignore all the 'grim prognosis' poo poo from internet people talking out of their rear end.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

From the new york times story where they asked cardiologists about his injury. Basically echoes what fiz, etc have been saying around here about what happened and his chances. They all thought other types of cardiac arrest were unlikely based on his age, fitness condition, and the fact the NFL extensively tests players routinely.

quote:

Dr. Aaron Baggish, a sports cardiologist at Harvard Medical School who has worked with the New England Patriots, cautions that, while a blow to the chest “is definitely a front-runner” to explain what occurred on Monday, “it is premature to be definite.” Mr. Hamlin, he said, will most likely undergo extensive testing to be sure there was no other cause.

For an arrhythmia to occur, there has to be what Dr. Baggish called “a perfect storm” — the chest must be struck in a precise place at a precise moment while the heart is relaxing after squeezing out blood, and with the right amount of force.

“It’s not rare, but it’s pretty unusual,” said Dr. Michael Mack, the chairman of cardiovascular services at Baylor Scott & White Health in Dallas. Most documented incidents have occurred in baseball when a player has been struck in the chest by a ball, and it has also occurred in lacrosse and hockey. Chest protectors did not prevent the incidents.

There is just a 20-millisecond interval in the heart’s cycle when a strong blow can cause an arrhythmia, said Dr. Javid Moslehi, a cardiologist at the University of California San Francisco School of Medicine.

[...]

The concern is whether, during those long minutes before Mr. Hamlin’s heart rhythm returned, when his heart was not pumping normally, a lack of blood damaged his brain, heart experts said. If a patient in cardiac arrest does not recover right away, doctors will often induce a coma to give the brain a chance to rest, Dr. Mack said. Sometimes doctors also cool the brain to slow its metabolism while it recovers, using cooling blankets — which have coils that circulate chilled water — and headpieces.

“The more concern there is about brain injury, the more aggressive doctors are about sedation and hypothermia,” Dr. Mack added. If Mr. Hamlin remains unconscious from 72 to 96 hours after his cardiac arrest, “there is a real concern,” Dr. Mack said.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The tweet ended with “which suddenly seems so irrelevant.” The straightforward reading is “postponing this game would be a big deal for the league but none of that feels like it matters right now.” Poorly considered, but not evil.

Yeah I read that tweet as "holy poo poo how is the league going to figure out how to sort this out" not "they must finish the game".

Which is not wrong, but read the room.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I thought people were upset about the skip tweet because it focused on the game hard then just threw a throwaway line at the end

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

Yeah, like, 5m+ means that it's a bit more than a toy drive for McKees Rocks now. Hell, once he recovers he's going to have to decide what the larger scope is going to be - multiple toy drives across the less-privileged parts of Pittsburgh? Also some in Buffalo and Cincinnati, two more cities hollowed out by US de-industrialization? A more intense hometown focus and trying to spotlight the issues a lot of lakes-area cities face with the current arrangement of the American economy? Trying to go national with the toy drives?

He'll have options, but he's absolutely going to need some help sorting out what's practical and sustainable with that endowment and what isn't. Hopefully he can get some good advice once things calm down.

Yeah and it's money at a scale that, if invested in something safe, is basically self sustaining. Fundraising becomes a non issue unless he wants to get a lot more ambitious. Hell he could put it in a lovely online bank account and it would throw off almost $200k per year in interest at current rates which is orders of magnitude beyond what he'd been doing.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I thought people were upset about the skip tweet because it focused on the game hard then just threw a throwaway line at the end

Yeah the little tagged on bit about that huge paragraph not really mattering felt like weasel language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It was a horrific image but he is still alive as far as anyone knows.

Right, sorry, I should have said "likely death."

Jarmak posted:

What does the national audience have to do with whether the players are ready to play? I'm talking about player's family members, coaching staff, or even players themselves dying in tragic ways such as car accidents, cancer, shootings, or any other wide variety of bad things happening and them going out and playing within days of the event.

It's because it occurred during a game while Hamlin was just playing football during a pretty unremarkable play. The national audience matters insomuch that it was a highly visible event and many other players saw the (possible) death occur live.

I think, most likely, the 30 non-Bills/non-Bengals teams will be willing and able to focus on Sunday's games but I don't think anyone on the field last night will feel great.