Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Something like 23 points to Dave Brat? It was insane. I also remember his pollster telling everyone cantor was 60 points ahead

The seat then went handily to a Democrat in 2014, an otherwise massive wave year for the Republicans purely because Bart was so loving crazy and Cantor actually was the stronger general election candidate in hindsight. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
What would actually happen if Jeffries won today? How long could he suppress another vote for speaker?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
If Jeffries gets the majority of votes today why doesn't he become speaker?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU4Hw-xbBNo

Pouring one out for our dear K-Mack.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

nine-gear crow posted:

McCarthy has said that he will keep everyone there until he wins, so this is going to be the rest of today, maybe tomorrow, maybe the next few months. It's a matter of how long Noted Incredibly Stubborn Idiot Kevin McCarthy can withstand being humiliated for, and so far history's answer to that has been "A long time."

How the fucks he going to do that. He’s not speaker and there’s no house rules except majority wins.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Charliegrs posted:

Majority of votes is 218. Having the most votes is a plurality

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Charliegrs posted:

If he got an outright majority, he would become speaker. If he gets more votes than any other candidate but fewer than 50% of the house, that's just a plurality and doesn't count. This is what would happen if every Democrat votes for Jefferies and the Republicans vote for some combination of McCarthy, Biggs, Trump, and gently caress The Libs

He won't get an outright majority because there aren't enough Democrats and no Republicans are desperate enough to vote for him (yet)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Charliegrs posted:

He'll likely get a plurality (largest single candidate), but not a majority of total votes

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Charliegrs posted:

It'd a majority of the whole House, not just a majority

Also I assume if a dem somehow became speaker today the Rules package would stay the same as the 117th which gutted the motion to vacate

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

How the fucks he going to do that. He’s not speaker and there’s no house rules except majority wins.

He is not a smart man, okay?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Mizaq posted:

What would actually happen if Jeffries won today? How long could he suppress another vote for speaker?

Most likely he couldn't, if the GOP aligned on removing him. It would be fun for a little bit though.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Ended up with 19 non-McCarthy votes from Republicans

https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1610346548767989763?s=20
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1610346507701477376

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 3, 2023

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Jaxyon posted:

Most likely he couldn't, if the GOP aligned on removing him. It would be fun for a little bit though.

And it would be a shitshow to do anything, why would the Democrats want any part of it when this clown show is so demonstrably one entirely composed of Republicans?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Unofficial vote:

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1610346507701477376?t=0c-0B_JwOhU_xv00oEkPDQ&s=19

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Cantor lost humiliatingly in the 2014 GOP primary as a sitting majority leader.

The best part of that was when some Brat's followers thought that meant he would get the majority leader position, like it came with that seat or something.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://twitter.com/jakesherman/status/1610347082509950979

Also saw rumors on twitter that some Reps held back their vote the first round so McCarthy will have LESS support in later rounds but the account doesn't seem credible. We shall see.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

https://twitter.com/jakesherman/status/1610347082509950979

Also saw rumors on twitter that some Reps held back their vote the first round so McCarthy will have LESS support in later rounds but the account doesn't seem credible. We shall see.

Whipping his supporters nets McCarthy six which is still nine less than he needs so like... Will they even listen to Jordan?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

The US congress is more removed from it then actual parliamentary systems but with any legislative body the power of speaker/majority leader/prime minister comes from the fact that they command the loyalty of a majority of the members. All the powers that they might have are really just extensions of that loyalty and if you don’t have a majority either outright or based on horse trading you don’t really have any power.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Whipping his supporters nets McCarthy six which is still nine less than he needs so like... Will they even listen to Jordan?

At least some of the Biggs guys didn't sound like they could be moved.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

https://twitter.com/RepAndyBiggsAZ/status/1610345550422884352?t=becIL3y92jclE5b7WvIpPw&s=19

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The US congress is more removed from it then actual parliamentary systems but with any legislative body the power of speaker/majority leader/prime minister comes from the fact that they command the loyalty of a majority of the members. All the powers that they might have are really just extensions of that loyalty and if you don’t have a majority either outright or based on horse trading you don’t really have any power.

it does have the same paradoxical situation where in a very close result the power can actually flow to the far wings of the house because they need to be relied on for support

a few states actually have something called a "jackpot system" where a party which gets a majority gets a certain number of at-large seats to add to their total in order to maintain stability of government

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Can't imagine if they vote again right away it would change the outcome (barring this all being some elaborately well coordinated kayfabe cunningly disguised as actual chaos), McCarthy would be gambling that he could at least improve his position on a revote, if he loses votes it would be catastrophic for his prospects.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

Everyone would realise that he was accidentally voted speaker and the Republicans would redo the vote.

The speaker can be changed

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

The rebels have stated they have someone in mind for the second ballot, so I'd be interested in seeing who that is and if they'll either be nominated or just called out on the floor

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

DynamicSloth posted:

Can't imagine if they vote again right away it would change the outcome (barring this all being some elaborately well coordinated kayfabe cunningly disguised as actual chaos), McCarthy would be gambling that he could at least improve his position on a revote, if he loses votes it would be catastrophic for his prospects.

There's nothing to gain from faking chaos, they just look foolish right now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Jeffries technically becoming speaker would be comedic but practically wouldn't matter because you can't lead the house if you don't control a majority of its members

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

With a towel?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Jordan supporters all changed their vote to McCarthy.

He's now at 212.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
How good would it be if Trump actually wanted to be speaker

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

Nah their only purpose is posting/owning the libs and in this case mccarthy has shown support for Ukriane and thus lib.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Harlock posted:

He's now at 212.

Where'd you see this? Not doubting you but I haven't seen anything yet

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Seth Pecksniff posted:

The rebels have stated they have someone in mind for the second ballot, so I'd be interested in seeing who that is and if they'll either be nominated or just called out on the floor

Bah gawd, it's Stone Cold!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Harlock posted:

He's now at 212.

source plz

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

No of course, it just also wouldn't make any sense for McCarthy to suddenly win the vote, which he didn't. This chaos is very real.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Where'd you see this? Not doubting you but I haven't seen anything yet

CSPAN changed their vote ticker which deleted Jordan and gave all the votes to McCarthy. I assume it's happening before this first round is officially official

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Harlock posted:

CSPAN changed their vote ticker which deleted Jordan and gave all the votes to McCarthy. I assume it's happening before this first round is officially official

They did? I'm not sure if there's a mechanism for changing your vote in the Speaker's vote like there is in legislation. It's still showing 203-212-10-9 for me.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Harlock posted:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

please be Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So is KMac just going to try to win by attrition basically? Just keep redoing the votes until everyone gets so tired and just let's him win so they can go home?