Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Alberta's brilliant to live in, apart from the politics and occasionally the snow-clearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Lucasar posted:

People even sit outside along the road in deck chairs to watch the cars go by and remark to one another "was that a Chevelle?" and pat one another on the backs and drink slurpees and eat beef jerky and hawkins cheezies. These people wear shorts and hoodies and crocs with black socks pulled up as high as they will go. All of the men are called Brett, Kevin, or Graham. The ladies are all called Lindsey, Kim, or Michelle. None of them will ever win the lottery but they all play.

Can't tell if you're referring to Winnipeg in general or "cruise night".

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

InfiniteZero posted:

Can't tell if you're referring to Winnipeg in general or "cruise night".

Neither can I.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

pencilhands posted:

While we're on the subject, (american here)it's crazy to me that you can drive all the way from somewhere like Toronto or Montreal to Yellowknife or Whitehorse. How is that road maintained? Are there times when it's just hosed up or inaccessible?

That's not even the crazy part.

You can drive the 3500kms(2175 miles) from Toronto to Edmonton and you'd still only be half way to Tuktoyaktuk.

North of Dawson City is all gravel though.

Roads can be temporarily closed for winter storms, but they're otherwise open year round.

One of the most impressive roads in that area is the top of the world highway that snakes along the top of a bunch of hills.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

PT6A posted:

Nothing worse than people doing "scenic drives" when you're just trying to get somewhere, too.

The scenery is loving impressive, I know that because I'm driving to my house where I live, now please either do the speed limit or pull the gently caress over because I'd like to look at the scenery from my deck with a cold beer and an Export in my hand instead of from behind the wheel after 7 hours of driving the same loving highway I've driven several times a year since I was 3.

I’m the rare scenic driver who does the “proper” speed limit of 20 over cause I’m not an rear end in a top hat. If I need to stop I’ll stop, otherwise it’s “get a move on” time. Then again there isn’t many places to go that isn’t the ocean or the mountain or, god forbid, Chilliwack.

I miss that weird time at the beginning of Covid when literally nobody else was on the roads. Driving kept me sane, even if I didn’t get out of the car until I got back home.

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 3, 2023

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ChickenDoodle posted:

I’m the rare scenic driver who does the “proper” speed limit of 20 over cause I’m not an rear end in a top hat.

Lol yes you are. Just slow down to the limit god drat, if only for the wildlife's sake. If you're slowing down some rear end in a top hat in a pickup, that's a good thing

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

PittTheElder posted:

Lol yes you are. Just slow down to the limit god drat, if only for the wildlife's sake. If you're slowing down some rear end in a top hat in a pickup, that's a good thing

You know what, that’s entirely fair and I accept that judgement. The 20 over thing is a bad habit a lot of people in the lower mainland have on the highways here, including me. The 1, 99, 91 etc… I’d be hard pressed to find a lot of drivers not doing like 100 in an 80. confirmation bias? It’s possible. Excusable? No.

What I’d tried to say was more along the lines of I try to be the average driver for the area I’m in even if I’m a tourist there. But now I’ve just realized I obey the speed limit everywhere but here (like the states and the UK). I should definitely work on that.

I guess that brings a question for others: are there any unwritten “driving rules” and/or bad driving habits that people just do where you live?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

McGavin posted:

The drive to Whitehorse is all paved, but to get to Yellowknife you have to take a ferry across the Mackenzie River and it's pretty much all dirt roads after that. At least it was in the mid-90's when I drove up there with my parents.

Edit: they paved the road in 2006 and built a bridge in 2012.

They paved it back in 1999, where's that info coming from. Bridge did take that long though.

It was an arduous 24 some hour drive from Edmonton to YK back when we moved there in 1996 though, yeah.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I found this map some time ago of Alberta/BC in 1956

https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/workspace/handleMediaPlayer?qvq=&trs=&mi=&lunaMediaId=RUMSEY~8~1~212315~5500350

Funny things:

Surrey, BC: not important enough to note on a map.
Fort McMurray: not a thing yet
Grand Cache: not a thing yet
Hinton: not a thing yet
Didsbury bigger than Airdrie
Road between Golden and Revelstoke now mostly underwater.
road between Golden and Revelstoke closed during winter, have to ship your car by rail.
parts of highway 2 still gravel.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
That owns. I like how Powell River is in big bold letters. It's pretty much a sleep town now with virtually nothing going on in it anymore (other than amazing sunsets).

ChickenDoodle posted:

The 20 over thing is a bad habit a lot of people in the lower mainland have on the highways here

I guess that brings a question for others: are there any unwritten “driving rules” and/or bad driving habits that people just do where you live?

You'd be amazed how much gas you save by slowing down to the speed limit. I remember hearing someone say that most vehicles have their optimal range when travelling at 90 km/h, and frankly I believe it.

No one stops completely at a stop sign and it pisses me off to no end. Timely question, because yesterday some prick in a BMW cruised through a stop sign at maybe 40 km/h, only to jam the breaks to avoid hitting my kid and I who were crossing the road—in a RESIDENTAL area. Just stop at the stop sign you goddamn assholes, what the gently caress is wrong with you.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

ChickenDoodle posted:

You know what, that’s entirely fair and I accept that judgement. The 20 over thing is a bad habit a lot of people in the lower mainland have on the highways here, including me. The 1, 99, 91 etc… I’d be hard pressed to find a lot of drivers not doing like 100 in an 80. confirmation bias? It’s possible. Excusable? No.

What I’d tried to say was more along the lines of I try to be the average driver for the area I’m in even if I’m a tourist there. But now I’ve just realized I obey the speed limit everywhere but here (like the states and the UK). I should definitely work on that.

There is the 20 over thing, but I do tend to believe the average person drives the speed that feels safe for the road. Highway 1 is wide and basically a straight line but I believe it tops out at 100 km/h? It's obviously not good for gas usage but I'm not surprised or terrified that people drive 20 over.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i drove to toronto from hamilton on the 1st to drop my inlaws off at toronto island airport and people were blowing passed me on the highway and i was going like 110-115, and it felt like i was going 80, holy christ. I eve had some people riding my rear end at points and it was like.. bro im not going any faster, wtf

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The thing that amazes me is how people will go like 10 over in the 100km/h zone and then 30 over when it changes to 80 km/h

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I've never driven and have no plans to, but I'm a nervous passenger at the best of times in sleepy little Halifax. Driving with family on the 401 when I was in Toronto last summer was the most frightening experience of my entire life.

Kill all cars before they kill all of us.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

COPE 27 posted:

The thing that amazes me is how people will go like 10 over in the 100km/h zone and then 30 over when it changes to 80 km/h

Or, and this is my favourite: 90 in the 60, then 90 in the 80, then 90 in the 110. Just zero awareness of the speed limit.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

No one stops completely at a stop sign and it pisses me off to no end. Timely question, because yesterday some prick in a BMW cruised through a stop sign at maybe 40 km/h, only to jam the breaks to avoid hitting my kid and I who were crossing the road—in a RESIDENTAL area. Just stop at the stop sign you goddamn assholes, what the gently caress is wrong with you.
For whatever reason this reminds me of the guy I saw skip a red by taking a right, doing what barely constituted a U turn, and then another right.

Even if it was late at night and pretty dead, it still pissed me off because I've seen people blow the red at this light plenty. It's not even a loving long red. Some drivers are loving unbelievably impatient for having devices that get them to directly to their destination far faster the most other forms of travel, all while protected from the elements, etc.

Essentially:

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

PT6A posted:

Or, and this is my favourite: 90 in the 60, then 90 in the 80, then 90 in the 110. Just zero awareness of the speed limit.

I see you live in F150 country

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

It's not like speeding has any notable advantages in the city either. You're saving what, 3-4 minutes off your commute? Is that really worth the higher risk to yourself and others?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

berenzen posted:

It's not like speeding has any notable advantages in the city either. You're saving what, 3-4 minutes off your commute? Is that really worth the higher risk to yourself and others?

Gotta go fast. Me go to front of line. Line keep going forever. Need to keep going to front of line!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

berenzen posted:

Counterpoint:

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1609255646993457153

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

You guys are just reminding me of that study they did like 8-10 years ago that found out that the more expensive/"luxury" your vehicle was, the more likely you were to break the laws of the road. It was a study done in Canada too, damned if I can find it now.

Pickup trucks were the most likely vehicle found in a snowy ditch from coast to coast.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

You guys are just reminding me of that study they did like 8-10 years ago that found out that the more expensive/"luxury" your vehicle was, the more likely you were to break the laws of the road. It was a study done in Canada too, damned if I can find it now.

Pickup trucks were the most likely vehicle found in a snowy ditch from coast to coast.

I'm pretty sure I saw a recent study that said those who didn't get the covid vax where far more likely to get in traffic collisions (because they don't follow road rules)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DaysBefore posted:

Driving with family on the 401 when I was in Toronto last summer was the most frightening experience of my entire life.

Did you sleep through Quebec?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

That’s because road conditions and design are way more important than arbitrary speed limits.

Our residential areas was recently turned into a 30, but unless they’re changing the streets to add barriers, additional stops, skinnier roads, etc to make it feel tighter, people aren’t going to change their driving behaviour.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

That’s because road conditions and design are way more important than arbitrary speed limits.

Our residential areas was recently turned into a 30, but unless they’re changing the streets to add barriers, additional stops, skinnier roads, etc to make it feel tighter, people aren’t going to change their driving behaviour.

I agree in concept, but when it’s a construction zone on a highway that is designed for 110 km/h traffic and will one day have that speed limit all the way along it, there’s really no way avoid that issue other than strict enforcement of the speed limit until people get the message.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/workspace/handleMediaPlayer?qvq=&trs=&mi=&lunaMediaId=RUMSEY~8~1~212315~5500350

Funny things:

Surrey, BC: not important enough to note on a map.
Fort McMurray: not a thing yet
Grand Cache: not a thing yet
Hinton: not a thing yet
Didsbury bigger than Airdrie
Road between Golden and Revelstoke now mostly underwater.
road between Golden and Revelstoke closed during winter, have to ship your car by rail.
parts of highway 2 still gravel.

Look at all those parts of Calgary not yet parts of Calgary. That’s strange to imagine.

Shepard was probably still a dump.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 3, 2023

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

Did you sleep through Quebec?

Having grown up in and driven some of Quebec’s sketchier highways like the Laurentian, driving the 401 this summer seemed way scarier personally.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Growing up, I often heard this referred to as a "BC rolling stop"

Turns out people from everywhere do it, and blame it on others as a great way to reinforce regionalism and tribalism

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

You'd be amazed how much gas you save by slowing down to the speed limit. I remember hearing someone say that most vehicles have their optimal range when travelling at 90 km/h, and frankly I believe it.

Yeah, it's remarkable. I have run the experiment many times, keeping things under 2000rpm at all times (which works out to ~90km/h on the highway) will get me around 31-34mpg on average vs 24-27mpg just driving however I want. Just accelerating slower and keeping some room between you and traffic so you don't have to slow down and speed up so much makes a difference. Sometimes it's fun to drive fast though.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
In other words:

https://twitter.com/Mobute/status/1609388607810183171?t=awflNUCSeFou57v5NW9Z5A&s=19

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Look at all those parts of Calgary not yet parts of Calgary. That’s strange to imagine.

Shepard was probably still a dump.

It took me too long to learn how to do this again. I'll try to do calgary later.

https://i.imgur.com/IV2aWS3.mp4

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

hosed up that you didn't include Alberta's party capital Leduc in your map

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Saw this CBC article, which, despite the headline implying that maybe wealth inequality is bad, still manages to spend most of its word count on a pro hyper capitalism set of positions.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-richest-ceo-average-salary-1.6701407

Some choice bits:

quote:

The issue isn't that CEOs get paid more than the average worker. Certainly, they should get paid more than the average worker," Maconald said. "The issue here is how rapidly the gap is growing.

I love how he just slides that line in there about how they definitely deserve to make an amount of income wildly out of proportion to the value a given CEO actually adds to a company. In a totally unrelated note, I'm suddenly thinking about that chart detailing an average CEO's "work" week. No idea why.

a corporate bootlicker posted:

The job is unbelievably demanding to be a successful CEO.... They are paying these people, these executives of these very large, complex corporations to deliver certain results," Lee said. "And the moment you don't deliver, you're out the door.

Hmm, that doesn't seem quite right...

a corporate bootlicker posted:

And the moment you don't deliver, you're out the door, with your golden parachute. It's tragic really, you might even have to take a couple of vacations on your yacht before you land a new CEO job.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

hosed up that you didn't include Alberta's party capital Leduc in your map

Why would i include Leduc, it doesn't even have a Cactus Club.

The calgary part of the old map is a little fucky

https://i.imgur.com/vafyq66.mp4

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Lemony posted:

Saw this CBC article, which, despite the headline implying that maybe wealth inequality is bad, still manages to spend most of its word count on a pro hyper capitalism set of positions.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-richest-ceo-average-salary-1.6701407

Some choice bits:

I love how he just slides that line in there about how they definitely deserve to make an amount of income wildly out of proportion to the value a given CEO actually adds to a company. In a totally unrelated note, I'm suddenly thinking about that chart detailing an average CEO's "work" week. No idea why.

Hmm, that doesn't seem quite right...

I'm always amused by the idea that CEOs are a truly rare breed with unique brains capable of ideas no-one else is, and not just a guy who went to businesses school, had the right connections and goes "what if we pay employees less" or "what if we make our departments compete against one another like some kind of Randian dystopia?"

Like, when some prolific failures of CEOs can still land a new gig, it's just a big joke. It'd be a little bit more believable that it's a tough position if failure CEOs were treated like race horses that get injured and can no longer compete.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 3, 2023

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Oxyclean posted:

I'm always amused by the idea that CEOs are a truly rare breed with unique brains capable of ideas no-one else is, and not just a guy who went to businesses school, had the right connections and goes "what if we pay employees less" or "what if we make our departments compete against one another like some kind of Randian dystopia?"

Like, when some prolific failures of CEOs can still land a new gig, it's just a big joke. It'd be a little bit more believable that it's a tough position if failure CEOs were treated like race horses that get injured and can no longer compete.

CEO brains do tend to be uniquely terrible

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DaysBefore posted:

Driving with family on the 401 when I was in Toronto last summer was the most frightening experience of my entire life.

Never visit Rome or Paris then I guess.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Powershift posted:

This map is cool and the visualizations are cool, thank you!

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

DaysBefore posted:

I've never driven and have no plans to, but I'm a nervous passenger at the best of times in sleepy little Halifax. Driving with family on the 401 when I was in Toronto last summer was the most frightening experience of my entire life.

Kill all cars before they kill all of us.

I drive on the 401 on an almost daily basis and in my lifetime have driven its entire span from Windsor to Quebec when you combine all the trips I’ve made.

I assure you that while it’s tricky to drive the 401 sometimes, especially in the GTA that it’s not as bad as you’re saying it is. I’ve pretty much seen the entirety of all the 400 series highways.

The only time you should be scared is if you had to drive during a snowstorm or periods of crappy visibility. A whiteout is loving terrifying and you can’t see anything. The storm we had over Christmas was especially bad and it’s during those times you’re better off just postponing your trip.

The rest of the time the 401 is a parking lot of stop and go traffic and if you can afford a transponder and the toll fees that come with it, the 407 is a nice and relaxing experience. It almost feels like teleportation.

I enjoy cars and drive for fun all the time. Don’t knock it if you don’t like it.

But we should definitely do away with car centric urban sprawl. But “destroy all cars” hyperbole is melodramatic and frankly hilarious to read. The cats out of the bag and it’ll take some serious social engineering and urban planning to fix that.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

InfiniteZero posted:

Never visit Rome or Paris then I guess.

I assure you if I ever go to Rome or Paris it won't be to visit the loving highways lmao