Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Bear in mind that Counterspell requires one to see the caster being countered. If you have the chance to hide, you can do line of sight shenanigans to avoid getting counterspelled, without ever needing to use the Hide action. Obviously not targeting the enemy who has the counterspell (if you can see them them can see you) but you can hit other enemies or do clever bullshit with indirectly targeted AoE spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moldless Bread
Jul 10, 2019
I need help brainstorming a consequence of the players actions.

My group of Space Cowboys ran afoul of a saloon owner/crime lord who put out a bounty on their heads in return. Rather than fighting their way through the bounty hunters or slipping quietly away they leveraged their contacts to negotiate with the crime lord.
The session ended there and the players plan to offer to run a job in exchange of the crime lord dropping the bounty, but I'm unsure what that job should be.
We're playing a short adventure (that is already shaping up to be longer than i thought) and one of the players will probably have to drop out of the group in the near future, so I don't want to make a whole sidequest out of the deal.
Ideally it should tie in with the rest of the adventure locations, but those are: a) an uninhabitated Planet and b) a target the group only learns on a), so no one knows they're going there yet (A backwater community around a spooky abandoned research facility, for what it's worth)
Paying their way out of the situation would be pointless, because I as a GM established I don't really care about how much money the players have, and my Initial Idea of asking them to smuggle a whole lot of unstable explosives (you know, to make the upcoming space battle more "fun") feels a bit weak now that the players took the inititive themselves and the next session begins with the negotiation.

Anybody have a good Idea what the Crime lords demands are?

Other random Details about the setting/Adventure:
- There has been a "Gold rush" on Precursor Aliens technology
- Everybody is trying to stay out of the frontlines of the galaxy wide war of two empires
- The players discovered a mysterious collection of passcodes for a whole lot of different militaries in the databanks of their decommissioned warship. I already implied someone knows of this and is keeping a close eye on the group.

Krul
May 20, 2015

is that you, blizzard?
if you don't mind the disbelief/coincidence, the abandoned planet could have been a rendezvous for an illicit deal gone wrong—crime lord wants you to go there and find out who shot first—or where someone planning to sell something/defect hid from a passing patrol, only to never be heard from again. both of these missions could be suicidal so it makes sense to send disposable assets and, whatever the mission is, it being set on the same planet makes it an incidentally-completable mission.

if the disbelief does bother you, you could always have the consequences be something that happens on the way to the planet. either as an explicit crime lord task (take this passenger or cargo to this nearby space station or ship, investigate a derelict vessel, go pick through the corpses of a nearby skirmish) or as a consequence of a crime lord task (take this cargo to meet this ship but, oh no, it was being tracked and now you're in combat with the authorities while the contact flees!). these choices would ostensibly take a little longer to resolve, but could also be used as ways to expand the living world or drop clues about larger narrative stakes.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Moldless Bread posted:

Anybody have a good Idea what the Crime lords demands are?

Other random Details about the setting/Adventure:
- There has been a "Gold rush" on Precursor Aliens technology
- Everybody is trying to stay out of the frontlines of the galaxy wide war of two empires
- The players discovered a mysterious collection of passcodes for a whole lot of different militaries in the databanks of their decommissioned warship. I already implied someone knows of this and is keeping a close eye on the group.
Combine all three:

They are required to use the passcodes from the third option to raid one governments manhattan project equivalent based on tech recovered from option 1.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
You could go Star Trek with this and have some last survivor of the ancient precursors. They need a replacement or just somebody to talk to for all eternity and think the player who is going to drop is a good choice.

But never go full Star Trek.

Edit: A big artifact with a line of unlit crystals that slowly light up whenever someone isn't telling a story the machine hasn't heard before.

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 19, 2022

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
If the crime lord knows they're space cowboy types who are about to go off on an adventure, maybe he just says "go do your thing, but I'm gonna have this widget installed in your ship's computer. It'll give me a record of where you go, what your ship does, what you find, anomalous sensor traces, any of that crap; it'll be like if I had a guy sitting on the bridge watching you, is the point. You finish up your little adventure and come back, and give me the widget, and we're square."

The catch being that this will result in the backwater community around a spooky abandoned research facility, including whatever happens to it as a result of PC actions, becoming known to the crime lord, who sees A) a market ripe for the introduction of Space Meth, and B) an abandoned facility that he can use to make more and better Space Meth. So the PCs have to decide, just before the adventure ends - do they deliver the widget in exchange for their freedom, or do they trash it (so that the backwater community remains hidden) and risk the bounty being put back on their heads?

This gives them a nice little chance to establish or re-establish, after the big adventure, who their characters are and what kinds of people they are as a kind of denouement to the action-packed story. Some players dig that kind of thing!

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
My players are going to go through some mild intrigue and a huge wagon chase scene/encounter next session and I think I'm going to experiment with playing music like the whole thing is a 70s cop movie or bullitt/dirty harry or something. Cool lively jazz for the city that hops up and gets a little funky once the chase scene sets in. My group isn't the biggest on setting immersion and mostly has just liked getting together as friends and I think it'll be neat.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

My players are going to go through some mild intrigue and a huge wagon chase scene/encounter next session and I think I'm going to experiment with playing music like the whole thing is a 70s cop movie or bullitt/dirty harry or something. Cool lively jazz for the city that hops up and gets a little funky once the chase scene sets in. My group isn't the biggest on setting immersion and mostly has just liked getting together as friends and I think it'll be neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn-MlISDsNs

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I don't know if you already have your set list yet, but if you haven't added them already, Dolemite and Shaft will have some good funky tracks to slide in.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

https://open.spotify.com/user/spirit_of_77/playlists

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Playing cyberpunk, and I had my players run security for a concert for a big muckity muck rock star. For the last few play sessions ive been peppering in rumors and news stories of spontaneous human combustion while theyve been doing the edge runner thing of getting money and gettong shot at. During the concert ive been having random things look really suspicious and turn out to be nothing. Then during the end of the concert the rocker boy combusts into a fireball. I then have a music exec do the whole, will you investigate this? And the player characters went lol too spooky for me and noped on out.

Should i drop the thread and figure something else out or press them harder to play this?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If they're security it seems like their literal job to investigate this and like their reputation would take a hit if they don't (if only for "who was on security when this happened?").

On another level, though: seems like your players either don't want to play that plot, or assume it'll come around to them no matter what they do. If the former: don't force them, do have a sit-down about what they would enjoy, and do make them aware that you'd rather invest prep time in things that actually get played (I assume). If the latter: roll with it, play it out like it would including rep hits or whatever would result, bring it back in once you can. Maybe the group of guys who aren't too chicken to investigate want to interrogate them.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Defenestrategy posted:

Playing cyberpunk, and I had my players run security for a concert for a big muckity muck rock star. For the last few play sessions ive been peppering in rumors and news stories of spontaneous human combustion while theyve been doing the edge runner thing of getting money and gettong shot at. During the concert ive been having random things look really suspicious and turn out to be nothing. Then during the end of the concert the rocker boy combusts into a fireball. I then have a music exec do the whole, will you investigate this? And the player characters went lol too spooky for me and noped on out.

Should i drop the thread and figure something else out or press them harder to play this?
Well, the events are in the world now so dropping it would be a bad idea, even if you choose not to lead them down that route.

I concur with the horse above. They take a big rep hit for not only failing to stop the combustion, but also for noping out of the investigation. They now have a reputation for being unreliable and bad for anything involving security or danger. Have them interrogated by an actual competent security force before sending them off on something unrelated but more fitting for their new rep.

Later on, have one of their usual merchant contacts suffer an incidence of spontaneous combustion offscreen causing serious damage to their supply network, meaning that even when the players get a replacement vendor they won't have access to the good poo poo their old one had on hand due to the old network of back room handshake deals being broken. This will be the last opportunity to hook them into that plot. After that, drop the thread and eventually have the solution to it posted in the news. Have the heroes be professional security force from before.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Have the corpo who asked them to investigate say "Sure, okay" and then start his own investigation - with the PCs as their primary suspects, since as security they had access to the victim and all the security data and the like. Logically, if this happened on their watch and they didn't stop it and don't seem interested in finding the culprit, the assumption that it must have been them doesn't seem unreasonable.

If the PCs take exception to this, well, they can always look into it themselves to clear their name. And if they don't, if they're all "Hey we know we didn't do it, so whatever," then the next spontaneous combustion hits the corpo. Now everyone assumes they're the firestarters.

They can continue to ignore it, but now no one will meet with them in person because they don't want to be on fire, and the more reputable clients want nothing to do with them.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Also feels like before you do any of those things you need to understand the players' OOC reasons for turning it down. If it's "this is what my character would do" then sure, have them eat some IC consequences. If it's "we had no idea where to start and it didn't interest us" then it's worth having an OC chat about the kinds of things that would interest them more, because nothing kills a game faster than the GM trying with increasing bluntness to push players back towards a storyline they're not invested in pursuing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
As a player I really like going "nope!" When spooky stuff happens, but also like when the spooky stuff comes and gets me despite my best efforts. You'd have talk to me out of play to see the difference between the actions I'm taking in the moment and what I want to happen in the future.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It goes both ways by the way: doing a story now where the group takes a rep hit could easily come across as the DM punishing the players for not playing along. That's bad and doubly bad if they were in fact meaning to play along, so yeah definitely have a sit-down and figure out if they want to get into the spooky combustion plotline at all, and if so, reassure them you're trying to find an organic way.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Chases. How do you folks do them?

For background, my players have been investigating a murder in the city of Trident. They have interviewed a few of the suspects and in an upcoming session my players are going to come across hard evidence that reveals who the murdered is.

When they leave the building they are in they are going to see the assassin walking down the street. After an “oh gently caress” from the assassin he is going to sprint off down the street toward his next target. The party is going to sprint after him.

I know the DMG has rules for chases but that is from the perspective of being chased. I figure adapt the chase rules there but trying to think of ways the payers could interact with the assassin other than dash dash dash.

I had thought maybe with a high enough dice roll they get to describe some sort of problem the assassin comes across and take a skill test on.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Nash posted:

For background, my players have been investigating a murder in the city of Trident. They have interviewed a few of the suspects and in an upcoming session my players are going to come across hard evidence that reveals who the murdered is.

When they leave the building they are in they are going to see the assassin walking down the street. After an “oh gently caress” from the assassin he is going to sprint off down the street toward his next target. The party is going to sprint after him.

I know the DMG has rules for chases but that is from the perspective of being chased. I figure adapt the chase rules there but trying to think of ways the payers could interact with the assassin other than dash dash dash.

I had thought maybe with a high enough dice roll they get to describe some sort of problem the assassin comes across and take a skill test on.

(I'm going to refer to the assassin as 'he' to avoid confusion with the adventurers). To heighten tension, I'd come at it from the other way around: the default assumption is that the assassin gets to the next target unless the PCs are successful in stopping him, and the PCs have to make the skill rolls to stop him. (Of course, the PCs will likely be successful, but let's preserve kayfabe here.)

I'd keep some sort of range tracker (e.g., melee, close, short, medium, long, very long, extreme). The PCs might start at medium range. Successes/failures as a group on skill checks affect the range. If they get to melee, they get to try to stop him with combat/grapples/etc; if they get beyond extreme, the assassin gets away. Ranges could also give a penalty to the checks marked with an asterisk (or for those marked with an octothorpe, the inverse is true and there's a bonus correlative to how far away you are from the assassin -- an apple cart toppled at long range gives the PCs more opportunities to dodge around it, etc.)

Any PC who tries something clever (e.g., the ranger tries to shoot an arrow through the rope holding a banner above the assassin in order to entangle and slow them, wizard tries to block off alley with web spell, etc.) can roll against some target and give a bonus on everyone else's skill check if the PC succeeds, but automatically fails their skill check for that round of pursuit. If the PCs are too successful, then there might be rolls where they cannot "gain ground," but only lose it (marked with a percentage sign)

Sample skill check ideas:
  • Smoke bomb: Perception* check to instantly see which way the assassin ran without losing ground%
  • Toppled apple cart: Athletics# or Acrobatics check to cleanly vault it
  • Lost in the crowd: Perception* or Streetwise check to see who stands out
  • Cut him off!: Streetwise# or Perception* check to know a shortcut
  • Hardcore Parkour: Acrobatics# or Athletics check to navigate through obstacles
  • He's no pilgrim!: Arcana, Religion, or Perception* check to spot robed assassin hiding among a group of ascetics% (BTW, steal freely from the original Assassin's Creed videogame)
  • Seize him!: Bluff* or Diplomacy* roll to get the city guard to help you cut him off
...and so on. I'd try to make sure that most rolls have multiple skills, but (1) for common skills like Perception, make sure they've got a range penalty so that the more specialized skills are more useful, and (2) give almost every skill a chance to shine (e.g., apple cart and parkour are mostly the same, except a different skill gets the range bonus)

Hope this makes sense. I think it'll be more dynamic than "You roll then I roll for him, oops, blew it, you get a little closer to him."

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
The DMG chase rules are pretty bad.

Run it as a skill challenge, basically (look it up if you're not familiar, it's a popular structure from 4e. Roll initiative, PCs can do whatever on their turn, the default action being an Athletics check.

Every round the environment changes - in a city, a stretch of open land means you can do clean ranged attacks/target spells, a series of narrow alleyways provides cover, a crowd can be dispersed with Intimidation, climbing on rooftops means you can get mileage out of jump distances and climbing speed, dangerous terrain offers a trade-off between successes and taking damage, etc. Once the pursuers have a lot of successes they're close and can attempt grapples or melee attacks.

If the PCs are pursuing, select the environment randomly or whatever seems the most fun. If they're running away, give them a choice of two, going around the table. If you're prepping the chase ahead of time, make sure to give the opposing NPCs a couple of tricks like spells and items affecting movement and visibility (caltrops are a classic!) - it introduces unexpected complications, but also demonstrates to players how they can use abilities to change the situation.

There's a lot of abstraction and on-the-fly judgement calls involved, but it's a quick and dirty structure that can maintain the feel of a chase without getting bogged down in calculating speed and distance.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Nash posted:

For years my group has been doing a quick and easy chase system that has turned out to be really flexible:

The scene starts with the Dm and the players establishing how big of a lead the target has in terms of N number of points. Then both sides roll a d8, with the winner getting a point- if it’s the chaser N drips by one. If it’s the target then n increases by one. If N reaches zero then the chaser is next to the target and can act, rolling initiative, combat, grapple or whatever. If N reaches X, determined at the beginning of the chase by negotiation between players and DM, then the target escapes.

Every round, the dice contest contest continues, with player actions giving ad-hoc bonuses or minuses to the dice roll. Tipping over a bookcase requires a successful strength check and that gives a temporary plus one to the target. A dwarf getting chased by an elf gives the elf a plus one every turn. Haste give the hasted character +2 or whatever.

The fun part of this system is that it goes very fast, with plenty of room for improvisation and creativity while giving the GM and players plenty of room negotiations that result in great collaborative story telling and action hero hijinks.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

I’m looking for some game resources for a game I played years ago with a friend, but cannot remember the name to look up.

It was based around a magical flying city that crashed into the jungle. One conceit was that there were multiple locations in the city that were “locked” but could be “unlocked” by discovering/uncovering/clearing other locations. It’s very likely my friend made us own changes to it- but I do clearly remember a map of important city buildings that he wouldn’t have come up with.

I’ve already searched and I don’t believe it is The Lost Laboratory of Kwalish’s Daoine Gloine ( https://online.anyflip.com/yhlx/dfjn/mobile/) nor Kos in The Lost Cities of Golarian ( https://the-eye.eu/public/Books/rpg.rem.uz/Pathfinder/Chronicles%20%26%20Campaign%20Setting/PZO9229%20Lost%20Cities%20of%20Golarion.pdf)

I’m beginning to suspect it might have even been some old Exalted or White Wolf game, and still can’t find it. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

Edit: Think I found it: https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Crucible_of_Chaos

Kumo fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 8, 2023

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I'm designing an alien adventure in cyberpunk and I need a hook to place it. I have a vague outline of how to do it, but I'd like for there to be a hook beyond the fixer saying "there's a job to [escort/protect] whatever plz do it" like somehow I'd like the PC's to basically wind up in there thinking it was there idea or at least have a better excuse then some sort of escort mission.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Depending on how in universe cryptic you want to be, have the aliens communications, or at least some of their audio output pirates frequencies where the players will hear it. Maybe even have the alien signal ride directly on some augs.

All of those point to the same place just past the outskirts of the city and wouldn't ya know it, this next job will take 'em practically next door to it.

Obviously this works better if you have more time to seed the bait. You can also personalize things as much as you want or leave it super vague.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Having more information on what the PC's care about would help. Are any of the characters inclined to join a UFO watching party? Or potentially dating someone who would? Bonus chance to introduce some of their opponents before the mission.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I've got a fun problem, I think.

My players are in the dodgiest, most dangerous tavern in the worst part of town. We'd established that the bartender is an ill-tempered medusa who makes a habit of petrifying unruly customers. We'd established that the local area is run by a crime syndicate that the characters very much want to avoid. All of the PCs have been drinking a very strong liquor with snips of the medusa's snake-hair in it.

Three of the six PCs unexpectedly ended the last session by - entirely through their own fault - going up to the group of meanest people in the room, repeatedly making them angry through poor decisions and rolls, and kicking off a bar-fight. The other three are sitting at the bar looking on in confusion.

So I want to make a classic bar-fight that's chaotic and fun and can spiral further out of hand with every round, and to incorporate those elements that we've established. The players know they've messed up, so they're actively expecting a beatdown, but I also want to have a few chances for them to mitigate just how badly it goes.

The problem is that the three PCs who started the fight are also the most martially-inclined and they're a decent and well-armed level 4 at this point, so what I really want to avoid is a drawn-out fight where I have 20 low-level enemies throwing punches or using improvised weapons and failing to make a dent in their hitpoints. (The non-combative three should also have a chance to join in and turn the tide if they prefer, but I also don't want to bore those players by having the fight drag on too long.) I *also* want to keep the fight fairly light-hearted rather than ending with a colossal heap of corpses.

So far what I have is:

quote:

- A smaller number of 'active' and competent enemies - the group who've been provoked - who are actually attacking the three PCs. A wipe on either side will end the fight.
- A larger number of non-targetable brawlers who are mostly busy fighting each other, but who will attack anyone who looks like an easy target. At the start of every turn, a PC can roll a skill check of their choice - Intimidation to scare off any opportunistic punch-throwers, for example, or Stealth to avoid drawing attention to themselves. Failing the check results in a Grapple attempt or an attempt to knock them Prone. If already Grappled or Prone, the PC gets a good kicking from the crowd and takes damage.
- Some kind of Constitution throw to represent the strong liquor taking its hold on the PCs that can cause further chaos. Perhaps we only do this once at the start of combat so it doesn't clash with the roll above?
- A PC who's knocked unconscious is immediately robbed by the patrons and loses their gold. (I think a punitive element is justified and expected here, especially as they're clearly unlikely to actually die.)
- A Nat One from any PC results in an uber-powerful monk who's been quietly sitting in the corner having his drink spilled - he then stands up and joins the fray against them, and very possibly steamrolls them.

Escalation:
- If the fight gets to Round 3, or once the first body falls, the medusa bartender will come out and attempt to petrify one of the players to end the fight.
- If the fight gets to Round 5, the crime syndicate shows up to stop it all and the players make a very powerful enemy in the long term.

Problems with alternative resolutions:
- The non-combative PCs should have a chance to grab the room's attention and dramatically end the fight, but it can't just be as easy as passing an Intimidation check and shouting everyone down. (Is there an incentive I can offer them *not* to end the fight - another patron offers to bet on the fight's outcome with them, maybe?)
- The PCs could technically just run for the door and get out in a single turn's movement. How do I make that a viable option without making it too easy?

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Please tell me that when the fight started every single person in the bar started throwing hands at various pc and npcs, whether they had anything to do with the initial punches or not.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
most tactical combat games handle conflict between more than two groups of participants very poorly; it bogs down way too much with stuff the players have no reason to care about. i'd be careful of modeling a bar brawl where everyone just takes a swing at whoever pissed them off as an actual combat; i'd consider either a) some lighter resolution method or b) abstract the "brawl" and just make it a fight vs. whoever's really gunning for the PCs with the other distracted patrons implemented as some kind of environmental effect

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 11, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

grobbo posted:

I've got a fun problem, I think.

My players are in the dodgiest, most dangerous tavern in the worst part of town. We'd established that the bartender is an ill-tempered medusa who makes a habit of petrifying unruly customers. We'd established that the local area is run by a crime syndicate that the characters very much want to avoid. All of the PCs have been drinking a very strong liquor with snips of the medusa's snake-hair in it.

Three of the six PCs unexpectedly ended the last session by - entirely through their own fault - going up to the group of meanest people in the room, repeatedly making them angry through poor decisions and rolls, and kicking off a bar-fight. The other three are sitting at the bar looking on in confusion.

So I want to make a classic bar-fight that's chaotic and fun and can spiral further out of hand with every round, and to incorporate those elements that we've established. The players know they've messed up, so they're actively expecting a beatdown, but I also want to have a few chances for them to mitigate just how badly it goes.

The problem is that the three PCs who started the fight are also the most martially-inclined and they're a decent and well-armed level 4 at this point, so what I really want to avoid is a drawn-out fight where I have 20 low-level enemies throwing punches or using improvised weapons and failing to make a dent in their hitpoints. (The non-combative three should also have a chance to join in and turn the tide if they prefer, but I also don't want to bore those players by having the fight drag on too long.) I *also* want to keep the fight fairly light-hearted rather than ending with a colossal heap of corpses.

So far what I have is:

for the drunk ones maybe say if they roll 5 or more under their constitution for the attack roll then (dumb drunken thing happens)? will save bookkeeping.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

most tactical combat games handle conflict between more than two groups of participants very poorly; it bogs down way too much with stuff the players have no reason to care about. i'd be careful of modeling a bar brawl where everyone just takes a swing at whoever pissed them off as an actual combat; i'd consider either a) some lighter resolution method or b) abstract the "brawl" and just make it a fight vs. whoever's really gunning for the PCs with the other distracted patrons implemented as some kind of environmental effect

Yeah, exactly - that's what I'm going for with the above, I think. A small number of actual fighters, and then a lot of non-targetable 'brawling is happening all around you' which plays out as a chance of a player getting pinned down by a mob or bottled on the head from behind each turn. (Maybe even some occupied tiles that both players or enemies can be shoved into and have to navigate around)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Defenestrategy posted:

I'd like the PC's to basically wind up in there thinking it was there idea

Frame it as the answer to whatever they're looking into. Need to score a big heist and have been looking for juicy targets? This facility/convoy has remarkably valuable and portable materials ("paradigm changing designer alloys/bio products" that are actually alien tech or creatures) but is also notably lightly guarded because they're relying on anonymity and secrecy over brute force.

Then, once the players actually seize the goods, their buyer drops off the face of the earth (word was on the street the buyer was barking up this tree and the corp is going to start with them and work their way down to the players), leaving the party with some baffling "tech" that is increasingly proving to be a global extinction level event waiting to happen. By time it's over the party has transformed from mercenaries and thieves to reluctant saviors because it turns out Conglom-o has been researching tiberium crystals and now the PCs' entire Hab block looks like that contaminated space station at the end of Expanse Season 1/the colony from aliens.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Reading that set up, I'd say the medusa was put in charge of that bar by the syndicate because that bar sounds like a lot of drunks with nukes waiting to detonate them and so she needs to be the instant defuse.

The longer the fight goes on the more likely a wildcard display of overwhelming force happens (a classic time for a fireball) and the more likely the syndicate is to take a very personal interest in whomever started the fight. Also you'll get to see that the entire back area of the bar is staffed by the rest medusa clan and when they work as a team, things get.... efficient.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I have a setting I made for a D&D game and my growing disenchantment with D&D has made me realize certain ways that game operates aren't ideal for the kind of experience I would want to run. Any suggestions for a good fantasy RPG that hits these buttons?

* Still within the "small band of adventurers" scope
* Has rules support for interesting overland travel and some kind of mostly-non-punishing resource management
* Friendly to a setting that has a big history and cosmology and encourages players to poke at the world
* Has fantasy combat but the mechanics support/encourage not always killing your problems

My worry with D&D is the poor support for interesting travel, and the adversarial nature making the players variously kill everything or not follow a story hook because mysterious things are dangerous.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I have a setting I made for a D&D game and my growing disenchantment with D&D has made me realize certain ways that game operates aren't ideal for the kind of experience I would want to run. Any suggestions for a good fantasy RPG that hits these buttons?

* Has rules support for interesting overland travel and some kind of mostly-non-punishing resource management
* Friendly to a setting that has a big history and cosmology and encourages players to poke at the world
* Has fantasy combat but the mechanics support/encourage not always killing your problems

My worry with D&D is the poor support for interesting travel, and the adversarial nature making the players variously kill everything or not follow a story hook because mysterious things are dangerous.

Ryuutama? Might not hit bullet point three.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I have been working on a homebrew system called Hexmaster for a while, but due to recent developments I am redoubling my efforts. The name Hexmaster has kind of a double meaning cuz it focuses on spell casting classes only (fighters and theives can only be hired as minions) but it also has a major focus on overland travel and random exploration on a hex map.

It pretty much ticks all your boxes but it's not done yet. Can you wait a month or so? :v:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Try Three Torches Deep, it's made to be a stripped down version of 5e D&D but it has good travel and supply rules. If you want combat to not always end in death I think a simple but effective method is just establish that the players decide the narrative nature of the basic combat mechanics.

Like yeah, your fighter rolled to hit and did enough damage to remove all of the enemies HP - but what happened? Did they run them through with one merciless thrust? Or disarm their sword, catch it in mid air, and offer it with a smile? Did those goblins all get annihilated by the fireball or were they scattered by a terrifying pyrotechnic display?

Paradoxically, its when the rules are simpler that these sort of exercises work because in "real D&D" you'd have someone saying that disarm and illusion fear are all discrete mechanics.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think that's really important. They decide what they do, the dice decide how successful it is. But that naturally entails deciding in advance whether this is a stab or a hit with the flat of the blade.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I’ve been encountering this more and more in my gaming groups. Especially my long time group of friends who are now mellower in our fifties than the bloodthirsty teens of long ago.

More PCs have decided that they don’t want every bar fight to end in mass murder and not every antagonistic wilderness encounter results in a pitched battle to the death.

What I’ve been doing is, when the game system indicates a “death” (via running out of hit points in D&D, or rolling 66 on a critical table in Rolemaster, for example) I pause for a second before I describe the result and ask the player if they want the victim dead or incapacitated.

More often than not, the player just wants the victim out of the fight so a mortal wound gets handwaved to rendering the victim unconscious or in shock. I still grant full “kill” xp for the encounter and my players aren’t lamers who try to farm a victim for repeat kills on the same NPC or mob.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Right, and that's the beauty of it. They're just as "gone" as if you'd followed the normal rules. Ironically when systems start building in subdual damage and morale those often end up being suboptimal compared to "gently caress this, kill em all!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've seen systems that directly encourage fights where one side withdraws after suffering casualties or losing cohesion, but it's rarer and rarely done as well. I feel like games need to sit down and ask how they want combat to be and how much they want the possibility of overuse of force or how much they want to emphasize that drawing a weapon makes things instantly more lethal. Something like Unknown Armies, leading off with 'DO YOU REALLY WANT TO DRAW THAT KNIFE', is absolutely appropriate since even getting into a fight is framed as an escalation and using a weapon even moreso. Whereas a four color superhero game absolutely should shrug and let you declare 'BAM!' and then the bad guy is unconscious and trussed up to be left to the authorities.