Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I don't believe this. I think there's some sort of game of "I'll say you went rogue if you nominate me" sort of thing

Agreed, this is definitely a calculated process to try to make him look like a neutral compromise candidate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Rigel posted:

CNN is now speculating that Jordan will be "the guy" in the next ballot, but he will fall short too, and then comedically it'll take a 4th ballot before we maybe learn who the consensus endgame candidate might possibly be.

If they aren't going to budge on two ballots I don't see why they would on four.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I wonder how many of the Main Street Republicans would vote for Jordan though. I can't see them liking him after what he's done his entire career. Scalise would probably be the more palatable choice

I don't think Scalise has the balls to run.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if the problem solvers caucus can't solve this problem they should all resign in dishonor

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The next speaker is just going to be some rando towards the end that they all begrudgingly agree on because they want to go home

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

As usual Matt Fuller is the best follow for house mechanical news, and many other things:

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1610362743965589505

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Looking forward to Completly Unwilling Speaker Trump

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if the problem solvers caucus can't solve this problem they should all resign in dishonor

The Problem Solvers caucus will fix this by uniting around Josh Gottenheimer as Speaker and whoever the Republican co-chair is as Vice Speaker, a new position

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it does make me wonder if a replacement candidate might actually be too unpalatable for the moderates to support, or if they'd go along with someone like Jordan because they don't want "chaos"

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Gym Jordan, famous for recognizing and pointing out when people on his team are doing questionable things.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it does make me wonder if a replacement candidate might actually be too unpalatable for the moderates to support, or if they'd go along with someone like Jordan because they don't want "chaos"

I mean this poo poo makes all of them look bad except for the freedom caucus, so yeah probably. Maybe they demand some one not in the freedom caucus as a concession so not Jim Jordan.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This is amazing.

We USUALLY know what all of the possibilities are. Like, maybe Trump is president or Hillary is president, or maybe Trump is president or maybe Biden is president, or maybe Schumer is Senate majority leader or maybe the turtle is Senate majority leader, or maybe Pelosi is speaker or McCarthy is speaker.

Right now, the actual, likely, probable speaker of the house in 2023 will be, no kidding, actually a mystery candidate who we are as of right now not even thinking about. Some random faceless dude we aren't even thinking about right now is probably going to be speaker of the US house of representatives lol.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TGLT posted:

I mean this poo poo makes all of them look bad except of the freedom caucus, so yeah probably. Maybe they demand some one not in the freedom caucus as a concession so not Jim Jordan.

if i had to guess they'd vote "present" or some poo poo like that, that sounds about right for centrist Republicans

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
We've already matched the total defections from the first round at 19, so it'll be interesting to see if McCarthy lost any votes or if its the same stalemate

My money is still on Scalise after all of the dust settles

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if i had to guess they'd vote "present" or some poo poo like that, that sounds about right for centrist Republicans

If 19 Republicans vote present, doesn't Jeffries win?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I don't believe this. I think there's some sort of game of "I'll say you went rogue if you nominate me" sort of thing

Jordan has been publicly backing McCarthy for awhile now, I'm sure he'd love to be Speaker but he's got nowhere near enough Caucus support so he will back the party line to keep his Judiciary seat until this process is over.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

haveblue posted:

If 19 Republicans vote present, doesn't Jeffries win?

I mean in a case where McCarthy drops out and people coalesce around a FC guy who the moderate people might not want to publicly support

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone
So were waiting for round 3 votes right now?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Agreed, this is definitely a calculated process to try to make him look like a neutral compromise candidate

"I thrice presented him a kingly crown. Which he did thrice refuse. Was this ambition?"

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Rigel posted:

This is amazing.

We USUALLY know what all of the possibilities are. Like, maybe Trump is president or Hillary is president, or maybe Trump is president or maybe Biden is president, or maybe Schumer is Senate majority leader or maybe the turtle is Senate majority leader, or maybe Pelosi is speaker or McCarthy is speaker.

Right now, the actual, likely, probable speaker of the house in 2023 will be, no kidding, actually a mystery candidate who we are as of right now not even thinking about. Some random faceless dude we aren't even thinking about right now is probably going to be speaker of the US house of representatives lol.

Speaker Gus Bilirakis of Florida has a nice ring to it

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rigel posted:

This is amazing.

I've heard a lot of good things about Santos. Not a lot of people can bounce back from their mom dying 3 different times in 4 different ways.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gyges posted:

I've heard a lot of good things about Santos. Not a lot of people can bounce back from their mom dying 3 different times in 4 different ways.

I don't think he'd want to be Speaker again

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

So basically neither side is showing any sign of budging. Now things are gonna start getting interesting.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gyges posted:

isn't he Ukrainian, not sure the freedom caucus could support that

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

it's very good

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
So, we know the last time Speaker of the House went to a second ballot, it was 1923, and it was more common in the 1800s.

What're the stats for third ballots? Fourth? How far do we have to go to reach uncharted waters?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

2nd ballot finishing up now, we are almost officially at electing no one for the 2nd ballot

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Lord of Hats posted:

So, we know the last time Speaker of the House went to a second ballot, it was 1923, and it was more common in the 1800s.

What're the stats for third ballots? Fourth? How far do we have to go to reach uncharted waters?

the record is 133.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So what happens if they just don’t budge at all? Do we just deal with this same vote for two years or is there some kind of failsafe built in here?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the record is 133.

Well, guess we'd better strap in for the long haul :haw:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

The Lord of Hats posted:

https://history.house.gov/People/Office/Speakers-Multiple-Ballots/

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So what happens if they just don’t budge at all? Do we just deal with this same vote for two years or is there some kind of failsafe built in here?

No failsafes, picking a Speaker must be done before the House can do anything else

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Seth Pecksniff posted:

So basically neither side is showing any sign of budging. Now things are gonna start getting interesting.

GOP is so good at obstructing they have obstructed themselves

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Lord of Hats posted:

It went 9 ballots in 1923.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

There's no failsafe. The House cannot function without a speaker and rules in place. The voting will continue until morale improves (or someone reaches 218)

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

There is no failsafe. It keeps going until someone gets enough votes, even if it takes months.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also lol

The Washington Post posted:

[Dan] Crenshaw questioned Cloud, who voted for Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) to be speaker, on what other concessions McCarthy could make now to win over opponents. Crenshaw then asked Cloud why Freedom Caucus members were considered more conservative than him. “What about them is more conservative?” a frustrated Crenshaw asked Cloud.

poor dude

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

It's gonna be Jordan, "moderate" republicans are gonna hem and haw and then reluctantly vote with the fascists as moderates have done throughout recorded electoral history.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i volunteer to be speaker

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dr. VooDoo posted:

There is no failsafe. Eventually pressure is going to start to mount from crises that are not being addressed, not the least of which is that House staff cannot be paid until there is a speaker/rules package. Kind of like a government shutdown, eventually the least far-gone people will get tired of the country fraying and sign onto a compromise they were previously opposed to, which probably means Speaker McCarthy. Again, eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Eventually some of the older R's fall asleep, Dems drag them out of the chamber and elect Jeffries