Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ratios and Tendency posted:

What is the point of restricting shamans from the druid stronghold...like, yes, bar players from content, especially one of the least seen strongholds, good job. :thumbsup:

There's a mod that adds a stronghold for Shamans. No idea how good it is (though I hope to find out soon).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Is it actually worth making Crom Faeyr? Korgan has grandmaster axes, and no one else in
my party can get more than 1 pip in hammers. I’m not sure how many points more I get for Korgan, can he grandmaster two weapons?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Torquemada posted:

Is it actually worth making Crom Faeyr? Korgan has grandmaster axes, and no one else in
my party can get more than 1 pip in hammers. I’m not sure how many points more I get for Korgan, can he grandmaster two weapons?

Crom Faeyr is best held as an offhand weapon for the 25 STR if you don't have anyone with hammer specialization.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Torquemada posted:

If he's dual-wielding you don't really need to get grandmastery in the offhand weapon (which I assume would be hammers) since the majority of your attacks will still be from your main-hand weapon no matter what.

It's really down to whether you're putting the items Crom Faeyr is made out of to better use elsewhere.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Crom Faeyr is a little overrated. The str bonus is nice, but you're actually better off having Korgan use a weapon that gives him an extra attack per round in his off hand. That's because the extra attack is made with the mainhand, and with improved haste, he'll be attacking 10 times per round at high levels. That tends to out perform anything Korgan might get from 25 str instead of like 19 or whatever else he'd have with the other belts of str.

Crom Faeyr is best used on a class that needs a thaco boost. Oddly enough it's one of the best picks for a Blade because the big thaco boost it gives them helps a lot for melee since Bards have a much shittier thaco than a Fighter. A Fighter like Korgan has a great thaco anyways so doesn't benefit as much.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 3, 2023

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Skwirl posted:

You can drop Minsc or Jaheira for Anomen and swap Yoshimo for Nalia until you leave for Spell hold. Then any class fits.

Mods?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Seems not then, since Korgan is my only physical dps, the strength belt and Belm or something in his off hand is better than Crom Faeyr then.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

I'm pretty sure you can do this in the standard game

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Torquemada posted:

Seems not then, since Korgan is my only physical dps, the strength belt and Belm or something in his off hand is better than Crom Faeyr then.

Yeah if you give him Belm and cast Improved Haste on him he'll be a blender

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

You can just report posts y'know :rolleye:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I am so done with minsc

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Jay Rust posted:

I am so done with minsc

Until BGIII anyway.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

God don’t tell me he’s in 3

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

So's Jahiera

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Jay Rust posted:

Voiced by Matt Mercer

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I think I'm going to try Viconia in the front line (in BG2) next time I play. I don't know why I always thought that wouldn't work (in BG2). Clerics have good self-buffs, there's plenty of str-boosting items, there's that belt that puts con at 18 for 8hrs / day. She can wield the flail of ages and crom faeyr (defender of easthaven before that). Should work fine, right?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
They don't really have good defensive buffs in BG2. Druids get ironskin, clerics get...armor of faith? Druids have that one, too. It doesn't help that Vicky has a fairly low HP even with 18 extra from a temporarily boosted CON score.

Suspicious fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 4, 2023

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Anyone know if lvl2 detect invisibility actually works against improved invisibility and/or shadow door? (BG2)

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Invisibility and improved invisibility are different effects, so no.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Jay Rust posted:

lol

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Randallteal posted:

I think I'm going to try Viconia in the front line (in BG2) next time I play. I don't know why I always thought that wouldn't work (in BG2). Clerics have good self-buffs, there's plenty of str-boosting items, there's that belt that puts con at 18 for 8hrs / day. She can wield the flail of ages and crom faeyr (defender of easthaven before that). Should work fine, right?

She definitely needs that con belt for the hit points, but in BG2 the frontline characters really want to either be ignoring damage entirely with stoneskin or iron skin, or else putting out tons of damage to kill things before they take too much damage themselves. With no levels in fighter classes to hit that level of damage output, and no druid or mage spell access for the defensive skin spells, she kind of doesn’t have a lot she wants to be on the front line for. What she CAN do is summon a ton of skeletons to tank for you, so she can definitely contribute to the front line indirectly.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Ginette Reno posted:

Crom Faeyr is best used on a class that needs a thaco boost. Oddly enough it's one of the best picks for a Blade because the big thaco boost it gives them helps a lot for melee since Bards have a much shittier thaco than a Fighter. A Fighter like Korgan has a great thaco anyways so doesn't benefit as much.

Seconding this. My last play through was as a tanky blade dual-wielding Crom Faeyr and Defender of Easthaven along with the simulacrum helm and it worked out swell. Okay so too many fire giants at once was still a recipe for disaster but everywhere else it was terrific.

Thinking of doing an evil barbarian run next - would human flesh still be considered the best armour for a barbarian?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Jay Rust posted:

He literally had his own trailer

Minsc is the one thing that actually bled through the games('s novelization because vidcons cannot be canon baybeeee) to the mainstay canon, in that he was petrified and treated as a statue, which means he's the same loving guy! No growth or change.

He also had comic books

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

goblin week posted:

Minsc is the one thing that actually bled through the games('s novelization because vidcons cannot be canon baybeeee) to the mainstay canon, in that he was petrified and treated as a statue, which means he's the same loving guy! No growth or change.

Minsc didn't just sneak into the main D&D canon, he's become recognisable enough that WotC considers him one of the top-seven iconic figures associated with the D&D brand as a whole, going by their website at least.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Slashrat posted:

Minsc didn't just sneak into the main D&D canon, he's become recognisable enough that WotC considers him one of the top-seven iconic figures associated with the D&D brand as a whole, going by their website at least.

:melter:

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Randallteal posted:

Yes it works fine. I've done it both playthroughs. As long as she's not the sole source of attention she'll usually have enough resistances and AC to squeak through SoA, and ToB tends to be a clusterfuck of enemies, damages, and effects for everyone anyway

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Perfect Potato posted:

Yes it works fine. I've done it both playthroughs. As long as she's not the sole source of attention she'll usually have enough resistances and AC to squeak through SoA, and ToB tends to be a clusterfuck of enemies, damages, and effects for everyone anyway
Yeah her innate spell resist helps balance out her other lack of protection. She's very squishy in ToB, but as you say everyone is when they don't have Hardiness up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I liked Minsc more in BG1 when he was a sane, intelligent enough dude who was just a bit eccentric.

BG2 took the joke and ran it so far into the ground it speaks Kara-Turan.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

High level rogues are silly sometimes.

I didn't have to summon a single one of my 6 available Devas or 4 Planetars (I guess all classes are silly sometimes)

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 4, 2023

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Slashrat posted:

What's this Aerie erasure in his bio?

quote:

After Dynaheir's passing, Minsc went on to form close friendships with other mages, including the wild mage Neera and the elven sorceress Delina.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HackensackBackpack posted:

What's this Aerie erasure in his bio?

Remember the mention of the games themselves not being canon? Aerie’s not in the novelizations of Shadows of Amn or Throne of Bhaal, so she doesn’t exist. Neera and Delina are from a recent comic book series starring Minsc.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Arivia posted:

Remember the mention of the games themselves not being canon? Aerie’s not in the novelizations of Shadows of Amn or Throne of Bhaal, so she doesn’t exist. Neera and Delina are from a recent comic book series starring Minsc.

I suddenly want there to be some technical reason that Vichan's Sandrah Saga LP is the only actual depiction of the games accepted as canon.

Minsc got sent to a farm upstate where he can run and play and hook up with an orc princess.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Does anything actually carry over from BG1 to BG2 other than a few items?

Also, playing BG2 in my 30s gives me a new perspective on a lot of the characters. I enjoy Anomen a lot more and Aerie a bit less. I think the last time I played BG2 all the way through was when I was about 17 so a lot has changed for me mentally. Jahiera's characterization and coping with Khalid's death also is more relatable to me as well.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Vargatron posted:

Does anything actually carry over from BG1 to BG2 other than a few items?

Also, playing BG2 in my 30s gives me a new perspective on a lot of the characters. I enjoy Anomen a lot more and Aerie a bit less. I think the last time I played BG2 all the way through was when I was about 17 so a lot has changed for me mentally. Jahiera's characterization and coping with Khalid's death also is more relatable to me as well.

The pantaloons should. I can't remember if anything else is reliant on what you import into bg2 with.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, I think it's the Pantaloons, the Helm of Balduran, and one of a small handful of BG1's endgame weapons (I think it's random, based on what you had at the end).

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

Yeah, I think it's the Pantaloons, the Helm of Balduran, and one of a small handful of BG1's endgame weapons (I think it's random, based on what you had at the end).

I feel like the Helm of Balduran is there regardless of whether you import or not. You might be right about some of the bg1 weapons though

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

To quote the wiki:

quote:

Golden Pantaloons are brought over to be recovered from a locked wall painting NW of your starting zone; then one item from each of the two lists below is brought, with the higher position in the list taking precedence over the lower. For example, a character who has both the Helm of Balduran and The Claw of Kazgaroth in inventory, will only have the helm recovered. Items tagged with [Default] is what is presented if the character either has none of the listed items, or if the player didn't use an imported character. #1 is worn by Ilyich and #2 is in a chest along with Air Elemental Statue in the same area.

Table #1:
Protector of the Second
Mail of the Dead [Default]
Fallorain's Plate
Chainmail +3

Table #2:
Helm of Balduran [Default]
The Claw of Kazgaroth
The Horn of Kazgaroth
Koveras's Ring of Protection +1

And in a later patch they added some extra stuff:

quote:

Malaaq in the Free the Djinn quest now grants one more weapon the character was carrying as stated in the patch notes
Simply visit the imprisoned genie and give him the freedom he seeks, and you will receive a weapon imported from your Baldur’s Gate game. If you have more than one weapon from the list to the right, the top-most weapon will be carried over.
Starting with a new character? No problem. The genie will still give you a weapon appropriate for your character based on your class and weapon proficiencies.
This replaces the Sword of Chaos +2 that the genie previously possessed, which has been moved to the Cambion just southeast of the genie’s planar prison.
The above-mentioned list, precedence lowers from the top to the bottom:

The Burning Earth +1
Ashideena +2
Bala’s Axe, Wizard Slayer
Suryris’s Blade +2
The Grave Binder +2
Staff Spear +2
Staff Mace +2
Sling +3
Varscona +2
Krotan’s Skullcrusher +2
Kiel's Morning Star

Rythian fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 4, 2023

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Ginette Reno posted:

I feel like the Helm of Balduran is there regardless of whether you import or not. You might be right about some of the bg1 weapons though

The helm is the default thing if you have nothing to import or start a fresh BG2 file. I've never actually tried importing the Claw of Kazgoroth before. Does it replace the helm entirely and then you can't ever get it in BG2?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I haven’t played it yet but I believe some additional stuff carries over if you did SoD as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Arivia posted:

I haven’t played it yet but I believe some additional stuff carries over if you did SoD as well.

https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Importing

Scroll down to" Additional Siege of Dragonspear items"