Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mustache Ride posted:

Yesterday was a federal holiday. Most people seemed to forget.

My wife and I realized this after about an hour of working yesterday and wondering why the Teams channels were so quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I get major anxiety that I got the holidays wrong and google the holiday calendar several times the day before and the day of (and still worry that everyone else is at work wondering where the hell I am). Fortunately the org is big enough that the calendar actually gets published online.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Sonic Dude posted:

We have the opposite problem; people keep working on days that are unambiguously listed as paid holidays, then send passive aggressive replies when you dare to put up an out of office message or block off your calendar.

I said some approximation of “happy new year, see you Tuesday” about 6,000 times on Friday, including to my boss. Especially to my boss. I still got 2 Teams message and a phone call today, which I ignored entirely.

I absolutely hate this. And since my job has 24/7/365 stuff they just justify it that way. But the company pretty explicitly says that people not working in the always open stuff aren't expected to be always open.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm Mr. Passive Aggressive when it comes to that stuff.

Person: "Hey, you didn't respond to my email!"

Me: "Oh, it looks like you sent that at 3pm on a Saturday. By the time 9am on Monday came around, it was buried with new stuff that came in and in the "last week" grouping of Outlook. Sorry. I probably would have found it by Wednesday."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bull3964 posted:

Me: "Oh, it looks like you sent that at 3pm on a Saturday. By the time 9am on Monday came around, it was buried with new stuff that came in and in the "last week" grouping of Outlook. Sorry. I probably would have found it by Wednesday."
I get very literal with that sort of thing. I agree that I haven't responded. They ask why. I tell them it's because I am now talking to them instead of doing work. They get mad. I get to them when I get to them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

I run into this all the time and always have to remind them: If its not an ongoing IR or breach and you didn't try calling me, its not getting answered after 5:00PM weekdays.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SPARQL is a terrible query language and I hate it.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

KillHour posted:

SPARQL is a terrible query language and I hate it.

beginning to doubt your commitment to SPARQL-motion.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SyNack Sassimov posted:

beginning to doubt your commitment to SPARQL-motion.

This is the first time I've heard of that and I hope it's the last.

Semantics are super cool in theory, but the standards and tools to work with them are infuriatingly bad. Literally yesterday, I read an article on how SPARQL was never intended to be used to solve graph traversal problems and I was just like "THEN WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU USING A GRAPH!?"

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
A cpu fan went dodgy in my girlfriend's 2018 Alienware laptop.
Apparently you have to remove 25 screws and the motherboard to replace a cpu fan. Which, by nature, sits on top of everything else, so it can access the external vents. What the gently caress.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

:v: hey, can you please update us on this initiative, where are you at
:)...
Month later
:v: hello, how's it going, still checking up on this, still need answers
Month later
:v: hey its after Xmas now, I haven't heard back, can you update me please

Team lead
:eng99: hey so, I talked with their manager apparently the emails are bothering them, and they find them distracting, so let's set up a meeting to talk to them instead about these initiative

:cripes:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

GreenBuckanneer posted:

:v: hey, can you please update us on this initiative, where are you at
Month later
:v: hello, how's it going, still checking up on this, still need answers
Month later
:v: hey its after Xmas now, I haven't heard back, can you update me please

Team lead
:eng99: hey so, I talked with their manager apparently the emails are bothering them, and they find them distracting, so let's set up a meeting to talk to them instead about these initiative

:cripes:

Be sure to mention during that time that this meeting could have been handled through email.

Better yet, wear this shirt to the meeting

Zil fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 6, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I would have to point out that it would have been "email" rather than "emails" if they had simply replied the first time.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

This investigation started in August, it was held back because we had to wait for them to do a thing, which happened in October. They didn't respond after until November to tell us how it was going, and I gave them plenty of time, and thought I was asking politely.

The reply I expected would be less than a paragraph of feedback.

I get that you're busy, but unfortunately that's too bad, because we still need them to make the time and provide us the information.

My lead suggested that we get the permissions we need to basically do the request for them, but I don't see why it's my job to do something that's their job.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you let me specify how I prefer to be contacted, and I pick email, don’t loving phone me 15 minutes later.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

A client accidentally created $50,000 worth of test transactions in a production account and the transaction provider isn't issuing a refund
Happy Friday everyone

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

If you let me specify how I prefer to be contacted, and I pick email, don’t loving phone me 15 minutes later.

I see you are calling Microsoft support today. I usually sway them with a "I can communicate in English using emails or with [ANY OTHER LANGUAGE] over phone, do not expect english over phone" to make them go email only.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 6, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SlowBloke posted:

I see you are calling Microsoft support today. I usually sway them with a "I can communicate in English using emails or with [ANY OTHER LANGUAGE] over phone, do not expect english over phone" to make them go email only.
That's devious and I love it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But what do you do if they call your bluff and the language you chose is the one they grew up speaking?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I am a monk that has taken a vow of silence, please communicate with me via email

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Today I'm going into yet another round in a years-long fight with people who don't understand the difference between a "document" and "documentation."

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've completely given up on documentation. I have been at too many places who absolutely fail at it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Internet Explorer posted:

I've completely given up on documentation. I have been at too many places who absolutely fail at it.

Just feed a prompt to ChatGPT and put whatever it says up on Sharepoint. It can't be any worse than whatever was happening before.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
3 years ago I built up a little system that makes it easy for people to write documentation in markdown, get it build into a static HTML site, and get it published on a web server with access control. None of the individual pieces are that complicated, but I glued them all together in a way that lots of technical people find useful. Unrelatedly, we also have a "document management" group that runs a system that's used for digitizing and storing things like invoices, student and employee records, or grant documents. So many people just get completely confused and wonder why the "document management" team can't handle this "documentation" tool I've written, despite the only similarity being the letters "d o c u m e n t" being present in each term.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

xzzy posted:

But what do you do if they call your bluff and the language you chose is the one they grew up speaking?

Most of eurozone azure/365 support staff don't speak Italian, only OneDrive and 365 apps have coverage. Asking Italian for stuff like Intune end up with comical english to italian auto translation powered by bing.
And even then, i do speak Italian and my spoken english has been rusted by decades of minimal usage(starting since i stopped staying most of the evening/night in mumble/teamspeak for mmo raids) so no need to lie.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SlowBloke posted:

I see you are calling Microsoft support today.

Actually Google on this occasion. A P2 incident left untouched for 24 hours, completely shithouse service.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Silly Newbie posted:

A cpu fan went dodgy in my girlfriend's 2018 Alienware laptop.
Apparently you have to remove 25 screws and the motherboard to replace a cpu fan. Which, by nature, sits on top of everything else, so it can access the external vents. What the gently caress.

For various stupid reasons one of my clients has the Windows version of the old Alienware Steam Machines, and those have an issue where when the CMOS battery dies they fail to boot entirely rather than just complaining and resetting to defaults like every other PC in the world. No big deal, right? Just replace a standard battery. Except it's not standard, it's one of the laptop style modules with a standard battery connected to a wired plug, but not the same one as any other Dell laptop. And even though it could go literally anywhere and there's a surprising amount of room available in the case for a SFF PC, they put it on the back of the motherboard where you have to take the whole thing apart to get to it instead of anywhere accessible from a removable panel.

For whatever reason they seem to need to do something stupid in every design.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

When they call you, avoid speaking at all, and only respond using a text to speech system. Preferably a bad one from XP era, and type in the text with the loudest keyboard you can find.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

See if you can interact using only the Black Mesa computer generated voice prompts from the original Half Life.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I'm in APAC so our Azure support tickets are always handled by people in China. They also love to call 2-3 hours after the close of business when I've selected email as the contact method, but at least it shows up with an 86 country code so it's easy to just let it go to voicemail and reply to their email the next day.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

xzzy posted:

If someone from MS support rings me and starts speaking Irish I will congratulate them on calling my bluff.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Pick a language you want to learn. Why pay for a language coach if Microsoft will do it for free?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Arquinsiel posted:

If someone from MS support rings me and starts speaking Irish I will congratulate them on calling my bluff.

They have a big European office in Leopardstown, all you need is one support tech who went to gaelscoil and wants a laugh.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JohnCompany posted:

They have a big European office in Leopardstown, all you need is one support tech who went to gaelscoil and wants a laugh.
Last time I dealt with the Irish support they were outsourced to India with "gold support" being in Derry (and thus incomprehensible) but if they've shaken things up and have some local support in Leopardstown then I refer you to my previous post.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Thanks Ants posted:

365 support?

Edit - I commented without reading. Nice to know that it's the same across the board though.
My current unironic favorite support line is Freshworks. They respond to chat quickly, I often get the same guy somewhere on the Indian subcontinent, and they just do things over chat with high effieicnency. It's like they know that a big part of their customer base did incoming phone call help desk and we all have voice call with strangers PTSD about it.
Honorable mention to GoDaddy, who fixed my issue in the quickest but most hilariously insecure way possible over website chat.
We bought a company who had their own GoDaddy account with domains registered. I need to transfer those domains to our Corp account. I don't have access to the previous owner's personal email, to which a code will be sent to authorize the transfer.
I hit up support, and the answer is that, because I can log into the old account with a username and password, I can just turn on MFA with no other proof needed and use that MFA token to transfer domains. Brilliant!

Silly Newbie fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 8, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Silly Newbie posted:

365 support?

Edit - I commented without reading. Nice to know that it's the same across the board though.
My current unironic favorite support line is Freshworks. They respond to chat quickly, I often get the same guy somewhere on the Indian subcontinent, and they just do things over chat with high effieicnency. It's like they know that a big part of their customer base did incoming phone call help desk and we all have voice call with strangers PTSD about it.
Honorable mention to GoDaddy, who fixed my issue in the quickest but most hilariously insecure way possible over website chat.
We bought a company who had their own GoDaddy account with domains registered. I need to transfer those domains to our Corp account. I don't have access to the previous owner's personal email, to which a code will be sent to authorize the transfer.
I hit up support, and the answer is that, because I can log into the old account with a username and password, I can just turn on MFA with no other proof needed and use that MFA token to transfer domains. Brilliant!

I got like the sweetest Christmas email from my freshworks support person. Like I"m sure he sent it to a hundred people since we have spoken like three times in two years but he should be writing greeting cards.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i like to think that the indian call center guys make fun of my oklahoma accent after they hang up the phone. “oh no mah user cain’t sahgn into onedraaaahve”

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So you're done at 2 right?