Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Rigel posted:

this is kind of a crazy moment for US politics nerds. (normal people who are not US politics nerds dont give a poo poo, and probably shouldn't give a poo poo) getting to a 2nd ballot in the house speaker vote is nuts.

all of us political junkies are witnessing history and history is hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah, the democrats won a majority but because one member died and two are vacant to take other roles, the state republican party wants to leave those seats vacant as long as possible

there's also speculation that they might attempt to pass an abortion ban as an amendment to the constitution before any special election can take place by PA state law

The State Republican parties in PA and WI are far more crazy than the state Republican parties in the most Republican states like Oklahoma, Utah, or West Virginia and the other purple states like Ohio.

Not sure what is in the water in those states.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
I haven't posted in here for years and I'm back to share this amazing moment of particularly just schadenfreude.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
ROUND THREE!

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Who's this white goateed HFC guy blathering about the swamp?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/McCormackJohn/status/1610381610095988741

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Who's this white goateed HFC guy blathering about the swamp?

Noted idiot Chip Roy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

why would he ask AOC of all people

was Summer Lee not available

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a good livestream of the House proceedings? C-Span requires cable, apparently

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

He went to the Dem leadership, was told no, and is now sniffing around the fringe of the caucus looking for someone willing to break with the Minority leader over it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

JosefStalinator posted:

Is there a good livestream of the House proceedings? C-Span requires cable, apparently

i think CSPAN has online streaming

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

JosefStalinator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SlhJ7lnYaI

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

JosefStalinator posted:

I don't have cable and C-SPAN works just fine

https://www.c-span.org/video/?525065-1/ballot-speaker-underway

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

JosefStalinator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu39OuhAhM4

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

In what loving universe would it make sense for the Democrats to make this process go smoother?

And yeah also LOL that he asked AOC.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I guess he thought that the progressives who initially weren't very enthused with Jeffries might flake out? Wishful thinking.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Oh bloody hell, googling it asked for a login, but this link worked.

As did the PBS one above! Thanks!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
AOC giving an interview to National Review, I'm sure that will make all the bipartisanship people happy

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Morrow posted:

He went to the Dem leadership, was told no, and is now sniffing around the fringe of the caucus looking for someone willing to break with the Minority leader over it.

No, AOC told him what he wanted to hear which is the same message coming from Democratic leadership, they aren't throwing McCarthy a life preserver.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Edward Mass posted:

Noted idiot Chip Roy.

:tipshat: Thanks!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Strong "substitute teacher doing attendance" energy.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

JosefStalinator posted:

Strong "substitute teacher doing attendance" energy.

Blumenthal? Blumenthal!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The State Republican parties in PA and WI are far more crazy than the state Republican parties in the most Republican states like Oklahoma, Utah, or West Virginia and the other purple states like Ohio.

Lead.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Round 4 incoming, might get more than 19 this time.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

one of those cases where a close election state leads party to play hard to the base, probably. Arizona for a while had a relatively moderate party but just plunged off the deep end after 2020

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
So what do the Dems do in all the time in which they're not actively voting? The republicans have arguments and horse-trading to try and make this work, but the Dems don't have real politicking to do here. Do they just kind of gently caress around on their phones, make small talk?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Everyone is just leaking their wildest messaging things to reporters and they are all passing it along.

"My sources say all the Democrats are leaving."

"Other sources say they are staying all night."

"Some of my sources say that McCarthy will eventually win and the HFC are doing this to look like they put up a fight."

"I have other sources confirming that McCarthy is a big baby who plans to resign his seat in shame after he gets crushed in the next vote. The same source confirms that Paul Gosar is very handsome and smart."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Lord of Hats posted:

So what do the Dems do in all the time in which they're not actively voting? The republicans have arguments and horse-trading to try and make this work, but the Dems don't have real politicking to do here. Do they just kind of gently caress around on their phones, make small talk?

:munch:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
my favorite reporting is the people just reporting stuff like "rep Paul Gosar looks pensive, and had his hands on his hips for two minutes"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Feels Villeneuve posted:

There's a decent chance that a lot of the kool-aide drinkers believe that AOC and the rest of the Squad are powerhouses in the Democratic Caucus. Just BFFs with all of the DLC and leadership.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

The Middle of Pennsylvania is Alabama without black people in it that's why.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

my favorite reporting is the people just reporting stuff like "rep Paul Gosar looks pensive, and had his hands on his hips for two minutes"

Great sign for democracy when domestic reporters are engaging in kremlinology

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Non-us here, a few questions: why does the freedom caucus hate Mccarthy? What is the rules package that's also voted on? Is that separate from the leader vote, and if it is what would happen if that failed too?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Lord of Hats posted:

Keep some stupid fucker like Cuellar or whoever from the Blue Dogs from striking a grand bargain to make McCarthy Speaker.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There are already 6 votes for Jordan as I'm writing this, so McCarthy won't become Speaker after this round of votes either.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Everyone is just leaking their wildest messaging things to reporters and they are all passing it along.

"My sources say all the Democrats are leaving."

"Other sources say they are staying all night."

"Some of my sources say that McCarthy will eventually win and the HFC are doing this to look like they put up a fight."

"I have other sources confirming that McCarthy is a big baby who plans to resign his seat in shame after he gets crushed in the next vote. The same source confirms that Paul Gosar is very handsome and smart."

Seems like it was straightforwardly Bob Costa a reporter famous for his sources in the GOP Caucus laundering some wishful thinking on behalf of the McCarthy camp, as soon as the tweet went out word came down from Democratic leadership that they weren't going anywhere.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
So is it on to the fourth vote, now?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Pappyland posted:

So is it on to the fourth vote, now?

yes unless some dems vote for mccarthy

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Congress is a bunch of clowns, I'm hearing sources on the floor say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gyges posted:

There's a decent chance that a lot of the kool-aide drinkers believe that AOC and the rest of the Squad are powerhouses in the Democratic Caucus. Just BFFs with all of the DLC and leadership.

The DLC dissolved in 2011, so that would match the quality of their other intelligence.