Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Trying to think of the oldest Deer Hunting type games (that don't track ammo and are not Deer Hunter) I can think of, and "Redneck Deer Huntin'" (weirdly part of the Redneck Rampage franchise) is just about the oldest I can recall that's not some primordial hunting game for the Atari or something. Did it look like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYp-BI6eXKI

That's certainly not it. I don't recall this game having scopes, and it certainly was deer only - the vid you linked appears to have some sort of waterfowl hunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

This is of no use to you but you reminded me of a Famous Grouse whiskey - branded shooting game that my ex gfs mum used to play in the 90s. She used to play that and Diablo, a cool mum.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

hexwren posted:

freeware side-scrolling auto-scrolling platformer circa 2000 where your choice of characters is three different low-res photographed guys on "carts" (they're like two different handcarts and a hydraulic car jack)

called like "super cart jumper" or "super cart racer" or something like that

I was close, it's "super cart rider," but it doesn't run in windows 10 on its own anymore, sadness

https://www.interactivitiesink.com/aliensoft/cart.html

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Played this a few months ago but I cannot find it again: A simple strategy game set in ancient times. Was presented showing a British woman historian from the late 19th century researching European cultures. More like a board game. Looks a little rough being an indy game but has pleasing simple mechanics: Spend points into "tech tree" that will grant more points in future rounds or in army. Have not quite understood the army mechanics though. Any clue? Thank you.

edit: NOW I found it: "Ozymandias: Bronze Age Empire Sim". It's not bad, give it a try if you are looking for something more simple. Sorry to bother you.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 30, 2022

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
When I would visit my grandma in the early to mid 90s, my uncle put some games on her Apple (glider, lemmings, zany golf). There was some first person adventure game that took place in space on a big space ship and I could never figure out how to play it, except that there was a vending machine where you could buy meals in toothpaste-style tubes. Any idea what game that was? Also I hope I haven’t asked this in the past.

Second, another game I used to play later at her house was Myth. Is there anyway to play it these days?

Edit: \/ it wasn’t starship titanic. I remember this having more pixelated graphics, like the doom guys face. Also I feel like the corridors were some ungodly shade of teal.

JackBandit fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 30, 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Total stab in the dark, but maybe Starship Titanic?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I only know of Myth 1 and 2 but they had pretty active fan development, look for Project Magma fan patches to play it on a modern machine.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

A 90s point and click adventure game, you worked for some kind of supernatural agency and could pick a team of 2 characters to control. I think they were vampires and aliens and other weird things. That's all I remember

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Yeah, holy poo poo that's it! Thanks!!

edit: hell yeah it's on GOG, time to see if it holds up to my terrible memory

it's real good! there's an obvious "they ran out of budget" slump for Layers 3 and 4, but the first two and the last one are great!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Actual Satan posted:

A 90s point and click adventure game, you worked for some kind of supernatural agency and could pick a team of 2 characters to control. I think they were vampires and aliens and other weird things. That's all I remember

I want to say Unavowed but that was a 2018 game

play Unavowed anyway

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Actual Satan posted:

Bureau 13.

It's bad, play Unavowed instead.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Pierzak posted:

Bureau 13.

It's bad, play Unavowed instead.

This is it, thanks. And thanks for the warning.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

JackBandit posted:

When I would visit my grandma in the early to mid 90s, my uncle put some games on her Apple (glider, lemmings, zany golf). There was some first person adventure game that took place in space on a big space ship and I could never figure out how to play it, except that there was a vending machine where you could buy meals in toothpaste-style tubes. Any idea what game that was? Also I hope I haven’t asked this in the past.

Second, another game I used to play later at her house was Myth. Is there anyway to play it these days?

Edit: \/ it wasn’t starship titanic. I remember this having more pixelated graphics, like the doom guys face. Also I feel like the corridors were some ungodly shade of teal.

Rama or one of the Journeyman Project games? If not, you can check if something here rings a bell.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone remember a game with simple topdown asteroid like wireframe graphics where you could fly around and land on planets and conquer them? You could build spacestations to land on and other stuff. It had AI doing the same thing youd have to combat.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

ZeusCannon posted:

Does anyone remember a game with simple topdown asteroid like wireframe graphics where you could fly around and land on planets and conquer them? You could build spacestations to land on and other stuff. It had AI doing the same thing youd have to combat.
Sounds quite a bit like Warpath.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thanks but not it. When i mean it looked like asteroids I mean it. Your ship was literally a colored triangle that had physics.

I dont even remember how the build interface worked, it might have been win95 drop down menus?

Edit: apologies if this is incredibly vague i just saw this thread and had to ask since its bothered me for years i couldn't remember

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

I think I know what you mean, could it be Gravity Well 3.5?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thats loving it. I think I had a demo on a school computer or something and so i could never play far into it but really enjoyed it at the time so ive always wondered / cursed my brain for forgetting.

Thanks!

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

Thats loving it. I think I had a demo on a school computer or something and so i could never play far into it but really enjoyed it at the time so ive always wondered / cursed my brain for forgetting.

Thanks!

When I was getting that screenshot I found a screenshot of the demo disc that I played it on myself back in the day, amusingly.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That may have been it! The school computers had all sorts of stuff on them. That game (gravity well) and that odd "massive" online starship troopers top down starship game are bright memories that taught me not to dismiss strange game collections.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Pogonodon posted:

Looking for a computer game I played somewhere between 1990 and 1996, could have been a bit older than that.
The game screen was mostly trees and you controlled a helicopter putting out forest fires. I think sometimes you would rescue people too? There was an enemy copter that would cause more fires and maybe abduct people.
It may have been a minigame, I really can't say. Pretty sure it was a computer of some sort, the console stayed downstairs.

Eleven loving years later I randomly stumbled across this game. It was the Rainforest Rescue section in Grammar Games. Rescuing animals rather than people, and there appears to have just been a bulldozer smashing parts of the rainforest rather than an enemy copter, but that's definitely it.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Sally posted:

it's real good! there's an obvious "they ran out of budget" slump for Layers 3 and 4, but the first two and the last one are great!

I finished it the other day and I was glad to revisit something I loved when I was a kid. There are some parts that are a little annoying but overall it's fun.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ooo, lemme guess some of the sore spots:
- The peat bog bungee puzzle
- The lava world time juml switch puzzle
- and the slippery grass hill climbing section

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Those ones haunted me as a kid haha

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Pogonodon posted:

Eleven loving years later I randomly stumbled across this game. It was the Rainforest Rescue section in Grammar Games. Rescuing animals rather than people, and there appears to have just been a bulldozer smashing parts of the rainforest rather than an enemy copter, but that's definitely it.

Holy cow literally ~11 years ago when you first posted about it. That would have driven me nuts.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Sally posted:

Ooo, lemme guess some of the sore spots:
- The peat bog bungee puzzle
- The lava world time juml switch puzzle
- and the slippery grass hill climbing section

The peat bog and lava switch wasn't too bad, but it was annoying going back and forth to pick up cannon balls and having to watch the animation over and over.

The two puzzles with the little dudes was also a little annoying since there's nothing else quite like that in the game and takes a bit to figure out.
https://lparchive.org/Torins-Passage-(by-Blind-Sally)/Update%2020/

And the slippery grass is the worst lol

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
oh hey, my old LP!

Yah those guys are super annoying. I had completely forgotten about them. they stumped me as a kid and i was bit worried about it doing that LP... and then i just shot right through. ah well

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

eyy I knew it was a goon but that's so cool it turned out to be you! Thanks for putting in the easter eggs in the lava maze as well so I didn't have to do it myself!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Sally posted:

oh hey, my old LP!

How's your eyesight these days? :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, here are two, and I have no idea if they're related whatsoever. I was looking up the game Prodeus just now, and that name reminded me of these:

1. Fps, very colourful world, the game seems, at least in my memory, as a very low budget indie game. You jumped really far, or at least around planets or spherical planes, and if you had a 'gun', it was goofy and silly. I can't remember much else. The weird thing is, I THINK I might have this game in my steam library. I think I played this once around 2017.

2. Indie platformer, has great music. I remember the ground being bright green and the sky being teal, and it looked like the whole thing was made in MS paint. The music was, at least to me at the time, its standout feature.

No idea what the date is, but I believe I played it or a demo back around 2005.

Again, the name 'Prodeus' reminds me of one or both, but they each remind me of the other.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Prodeus is a Steam FPS, but it came out this year so that can't be either game you're thinking of.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
That first one is reminding me of Lovely Planet.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, here are two, and I have no idea if they're related whatsoever. I was looking up the game Prodeus just now, and that name reminded me of these:

1. Fps, very colourful world, the game seems, at least in my memory, as a very low budget indie game. You jumped really far, or at least around planets or spherical planes, and if you had a 'gun', it was goofy and silly. I can't remember much else. The weird thing is, I THINK I might have this game in my steam library. I think I played this once around 2017.

I mean in a lot of ways this sounds like The Outer Wilds--the first person, colorful, indie, jumping around planets/spherical planes, goofy "gun", etc.--but it came out in 2019 not 2017. EDIT: That or Lovely Planet.

EDIT EDIT: Somebody already mentioned Lovely Planet haha

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pogonodon posted:

That first one is reminding me of Lovely Planet.

That is definitely it! Thanks!

Ok, so I guess the name Prodeus is close to whatever the name is of that platformer. Hmmm...

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Might it be Proteus? That looks pretty ms paint to me and the music is interesting, but I can't tell how much it matches what you remember.

edit: oh wow very wrong timeframe, nevermind, that came out in 2013.

Pogonodon fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 3, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ok, so I guess the name Prodeus is close to whatever the name is of that platformer. Hmmm...

Pikuniku, maybe

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Seiklus? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-qVq4ElvTk

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Edit: ^^^^^ thanks Cream of Plenty! I don't know why I didn't recognize it from your link (I'll admit, I didn't click on the video, as the thumbnail didn't look anything like what I remembered. Sorry and thank you!)

Pogonodon posted:

Might it be Proteus? That looks pretty ms paint to me and the music is interesting, but I can't tell how much it matches what you remember.

edit: oh wow very wrong timeframe, nevermind, that came out in 2013.

That's it! Maybe I played an early demo, or maybe I'm just misremembering a LOT more but THIS IS IT.

You can see how the name popped back into my head.

Thanks!

Edit: :siren: The Plot Thickens! The friend that showed me the game forever ago saw I was looking for it on twitter and pointed me to the ACTUAL sidescroller platformer I was thinking of: SEIKLUS!

http://autofish.net/clysm/art/video_games/seiklus/

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 4, 2023

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Gnoman posted:

Many years ago, when a 500 mhz computer was considered fast, I used to play a deer hunting game that I cannot recall the name of (it wasn't Deer Hunter). I'd kind of like to track it down so I can see just how dated it looks and plays.

What I remember about it:

The weapons were rifles and shotguns. A large bore revolver was in the game but you had to do something special to access it.

The game did not track ammunition.

If you fired your weapon for no reason, the game would taunt you with phrases like "you're scaring the deer" and "you're wasting time and ammunition".

The game predated WASD. You moved with the arrow keys, and had to hit Spacebar to bring out your gun (at which point you could mouse-aim).

Let's see if we can start narrowing it down.
Do any parts of Ted Nugent Wild Hunting Adventure or Field & Stream: Trophy Buck come close?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

eyy I knew it was a goon but that's so cool it turned out to be you! Thanks for putting in the easter eggs in the lava maze as well so I didn't have to do it myself!

:cheers:

also it was a good who original discovered it, so i must give props to Nidoking

Pierzak posted:

How's your eyesight these days? :v:

it's weird but i can actually see what i'm doing now!