Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Stuff you really don't want to see in person: detached toes, degloved feet, displaced kneecaps

Trust me

they weren't moto related but I've seen multiple compound / displaced tib/fib fractures and you do not want to see someone's foot rolled off of their ankle or pointing 180 degrees from its normal direction either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

T Zero posted:

Honda CBR250, your bike's lil baby sibling.

It's pretty great, certainly if you compare it to the ownership costs of a car. But I'm coming into motorcycling from bicycling, so I've had to learn to adjust expectations for costs. Since I'm doing more utility riding, it's changing my cost-benefit analysis. Fortunately for me, my finances aren't tight, but I'm always thinking in the back of my mind "If I rode my bicycle, this trip would be free" or "I'm still spending money even though I haven't ridden for a week." As much as I'd love to get a new bike, I'm having a hard time getting over this mental hurdle.
That's definitely a mindset I had to shed, especially when you get into more impractical bikes ridden largely for fun! I was agonizing over every purchase at first, and at some point I had to just accept it as a fun expense, especially since it wasn't my only transportation.

For saving money, I wish I'd learned basic maintenance early on. Once you drop the initial money on tools, and fixing any mistakes you make, it's really useful to be able to do and will cut labor charges out of the picture.

Always interesting seeing other people's riding expenses, especially because I've always questioned the idea of motorcycles being cheaper to own overall than cars. That seems untrue for a lot of cases, due to more frequent maintenance and wear items like tires, but use cases such as yours seem to work. Maybe if the car is something like a used Honda where you just keep the oil changed, it might beat out a small bike, but good luck getting a used anything for less than MSRP in the current car market.

Return Loss
Jul 22, 2001

People often have this idea that you ride a motorcycle because it's so economical. A colleague was asking me about motorcycles once, saying that it must be great for savings on gas. I didn't feel like correcting him and telling him that my old Fireblade gets worse gas mileage than my car. Thisty old superbikes weren't designed to sip fuel.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

My 75hp bike consumes just as much fuel as a 75hp car. But it's not designed to be economical. For economy you gotta grab a 125 or 250cc 1 or 2 cylinder standard bike. But in the western world, those are often seen as inferior toys.

But the most unexpected expense for me was tires. The average bike tire doesn't even last half as long as a car tire.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Well duh, it has half the tires a car has!

My Monkey is great on gas and insurance. 90mpg hell yeah.
The Strom gets only about 41mpg. Not great, but better than my car.
I don't ride to save money though. Not having five motorcycles in my garage might save me money.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I think any apples to apples comparison still favors the motorcycle. An economy bike will be cheaper than an economy car - that's one of the reasons there's like a gajillion people riding around on practical small displacement bikes in a bunch of Asian countries, for example. A superbike will be way cheaper than a supercar too in all sorts of ways including fuel. Most people buy car tires geared for economy/durability and I'd hazard if you do the same for your motorcycle your tire expenses would come down a bunch.

A great thing with motorcycles is that regular not super rich people can afford cool and fun performance machines sitting on fast wearing performance tires without it being absurdly expensive compared to cars.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd argue any cost penalty from increased tyre/chain wear is offset by the gigantic time savings every time you go anywhere; if you want to look at it like an ultra capitalist lunatic you can think of it as more time to do your grind mindset poo poo or whatever.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

That's true in a city but with my autoroute commute it takes me longer to get to work by bike with all the loving around getting changed into and out of bike gear. Taking the small roads home on a summer day is a fantastic way to knock off work even if it takes twice as long.

Commuting by bike in London was pretty fun though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you treat your motorcycle the same way most people do their commuter cars -- buy a common, bog standard economy model like a Corolla or a CB250, do the bare minimum maintenance to keep it on the road, only buy the cheapest replacement parts, never make any modifications or upgrades, and basically spend as little time thinking about it as possible -- riding is extremely cheap, even accounting for the reduced maintenance intervals.

It only starts to get as expensive as car ownership if you buy good tires and quality parts and a second bike and cooler gear and fancy bags and a third bike and a fourth bike and

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Slavvy posted:

the gigantic time savings every time you go anywhere

Boy it would be nice to live someplace where this were true :sigh:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Lmao yeah. Time savings?
I tend to take the longer, lonelier roads.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I kinda thought conventional wisdom was that any fuel/parts savings you might see from riding are obliterated by your twenty-minute evening commute becoming a two-hour burn through the hills

To say nothing of the disparity in the cost of consumables like tires and brakes, gently caress

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I think you can absolutely save money on a motorcycle relative to a car and many other forms of transport. It's just that if you are optimizing for cost and/or utility, a motorcycle is almost never the *best* option. An electric bicycle would cover the vast majority of my transportation needs at an even lower cost.

I agree with RightClickSaveAs that you have to factor in how much fun you're having and draw partly from your entertainment budget.

Sidenote: I fell off my bicycle this morning commuting to work. Slipped sideways on the wet spiral ramp in my parking garage less than a minute after getting on. Scraped both palms and banged my knee. Shuddering to imagine what would've happened with a 350lb bike. Just a reminder to my fellow newbies to wear your gear and that most accidents happen close to home.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I'd love to say I could save money with my bike, but my otherwise 1.5mi distance going home from work turns into a minimum of 30 miles when I ride in. Also I've amassed 6 pairs of boots, 5 gloves, 8 jackets, and 6 pants.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

T Zero posted:

Coming up on the end of the year, so did another look back on my expenses.

Rode about 3500 miles and spent $3,230, excluding gasoline.

The big line items:
* Parking fees since I moved to a new building
* Service and maintenance (8,000-mile service, replaced seals and gaskets to fix an oil leak, oil change)
* I bought two new riding jackets: a dedicated warm weather jacket and a cold/wet jacket.

The jackets were definitely a splurge ($390 together), but they look and feel better than my do-it-all jacket with zip out liners and insulation.

I also bought some basic tools to start doing some of my own maintenance, but there isn't much to do.

Much of this spending is hardware, so it's stuff that will amortize. The big ongoing recurring expenses are insurance (~$480/yr), parking ($80/month), and gas (70mpg lol). If I hold on to this bike, I'm probably looking at ~$2000 in ownership costs next year, barring any major breakdowns.

One thing that changed between my first year and second is that I ride a lot less for fun and more for utility (I ride rain or shine, but not snow or ice). Part of it is that I'm getting bored with my bike and the riding routes around me. On the other hand, this is a low-cost, reliable way to get around, so I don't want to upset the balance too much (I don't own a car, but live on a metro line and ride a bicycle to work). Also I'm worried about the economy, so I'm a bit anxious about taking on new expenses.

I actually made a spreadsheet like that after you did this post last year, because I was curious, and then I forgot about it until now.

Champ School ("Training") was by far the most expensive thing for the year. I spent ~$600 on tires, another ~$200 on oil, coolant, brake pads, etc. Not included is the price of gas getting to/from/at the track, because I can't be arsed to find it, plus the hotels I stayed in once or twice.

My total cost since buying (and including) my bike, June 2019, is just under $28,500 :negative: I've spent almost $8k on gear because I'm precious. I definitely would have made different choices along the way if I knew then what I know now, but alas.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

FBS posted:

Boy it would be nice to live someplace where this were true :sigh:

Always Be Splitting

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Whatever money is small price to pay for the joy of 10k+ rpm.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Russian Bear posted:

Whatever money is small price to pay for the joy of 10k+ rpm.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
My bike drinks 3,9l/100km on average, my car takes 6,45. At current prices, that is definitely more economical by a longshot (especially as the car is a Diesel). I'd argue I'm riding the bike more aggressively (in regards to throttle) some of the time, so I could certainly reduce that a bit as well.

I haven't entered all the expenses for my bike yet so I can't share more detailed per-km costs, but even lavish spending on the bike and equipment probably didn't put me above the cost of an economy car.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

What bike do you have?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

LimaBiker posted:

What bike do you have?

A Honda CB500X

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Dunno the exact capacity of my GSXR600, but the regular 120km ride would end with the fuel light on.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

as finnegan always says, you gotta consider smiles per gallon too

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

e: wrong thread

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I put in over 100 miles today after not riding much for the last couple of months, mostly because of lovely weather.

The couple of times I did ride, it didn’t go great and I was worried I was losing my nerve. The back tire broke away a little in conditions where I’d expect it, but easier than I felt it should have.

Today the roads were bone dry, but I also checked my tire pressure and it was down more than 10 psi. Which is about 1/4 of the total psi my Roadster calls for.

Check your tire pressure.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Geekboy posted:

Check your tire pressure.

Someone advised me to do it every time I'd been off the bike more than a half hour and while I don't go to that length, every time I leave the house has been a good interval so far.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I’ll never do it as often as I should, but I’m doing it more often all the time.

My rims also make it kind of a pain in the rear end. Seems like the engineers would always leave room for a pressure gauge, but what do I know?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Geekboy posted:

My rims also make it kind of a pain in the rear end. Seems like the engineers would always leave room for a pressure gauge, but what do I know?

https://www.amazon.com/Degree-Motorcycle-Valve-11-3mm-Aluminum/dp/B01K1WN6JI

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Since I have a really nice tire inflator that I don't even have to plug in, I check my pressure once a week. The back tire loses about 5psi every two weeks, so it needs it. I rode today for an hour, was fine, as usual my hands were cold, 50 degrees is the sweet spot where I am not cold, today was about 47. I'll probably buy a bike with heated grips for my second bike next year, but for now not wanting to go through the trouble.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

It’s still a weird angle on the back tire, no matter how you’re trying to get to it since it’s blocked by the rim or the belt drive or both, depending on the angle.

The rims look great, though.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Rusty posted:

Since I have a really nice tire inflator that I don't even have to plug in, I check my pressure once a week. The back tire loses about 5psi every two weeks, so it needs it. I rode today for an hour, was fine, as usual my hands were cold, 50 degrees is the sweet spot where I am not cold, today was about 47. I'll probably buy a bike with heated grips for my second bike next year, but for now not wanting to go through the trouble.

I have one of those inflators too! It lives in the shed where I park my bikes so it's dead easy to check pressure and inflate a decibar or two when needed. Mine looks like this, it rules:

I just ordered the first farkles for the new-to-me SV650 - heated grips. It's a must-have for me since they make the practical rideable season where I live nearly twice as long. They're pretty nice to have on a low setting on long rides even on relatively balmy days too. Aftermarket grips work great and aren't much trouble to install either. Don't buy a bike on account of it having heated grips, just retrofit them. If you ever wondered if you want some you definitely want some.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My bike loses hardly any tire pressure, it’s a little… uncanny? I didn’t ride for a whole month once and when I checked the tires only lost a couple psi each.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
My little Honda hardly loses air either, but it's a good habit to check regularly anyway.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I've had differences in air loss depending on the current tire that is fitted, especially on my fz6n. In general less difference on my tube based bikes between tire changes.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I specifically requested these the last time I got tires mounted and they ignored me :argh:

opengl fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 25, 2023

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Invalido posted:

I just ordered the first farkles for the new-to-me SV650 - heated grips. It's a must-have for me since they make the practical rideable season where I live nearly twice as long. They're pretty nice to have on a low setting on long rides even on relatively balmy days too. Aftermarket grips work great and aren't much trouble to install either. Don't buy a bike on account of it having heated grips, just retrofit them. If you ever wondered if you want some you definitely want some.

I'm a huge advocate of heated grips for the same reason, and yep I love running them on low even when it's not that cold out. Takes the edge off and lets me wear less bulky gloves.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

These are life changing, especially on bikes with massive discs that are always in the way no matter where you roll the bike.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
90 degree valve stems should be standard on most every street bike, but they cost a few bucks more, so nyah

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

90 degree valve stems should be standard on most every street bike, but they cost a few bucks more, so nyah

Correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Spending $2 to make your customer happier and safer is just pants on head crazy talk.