Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I like the insane idea of making Trump Speaker, because he would loving hate it. Like, you need to be a real policy wonk to want to be Speaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It'll get resolved sooner rather than later. Congressional staffers don't get paid until there's a speaker and a rules package.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Skwirl posted:

Does the entire house vote, or just the majority party? Like, I know it would never happen, but if the Democrats unified and then pulled 5 Republicans could they make their own guy speaker?

In theory but it's far right people who consider McCarthy a RINO that are voting against him so good luck

At best you get a handful of moderate republicans to threaten to vote for Pelosi if the alt right doesn't fall in line

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

I don’t have a problem with drinking except feeling like poo poo for a day or two afterwards. I’m a happy drunk and don’t do dumb poo poo. It’s just in the days afterwards I just feel like garbage and i consistently feel heavy and sluggish if I’m also drinking consistently.

Sports might be a trigger for me because during the week if nothings going on I won’t drink or if I do it’s a single glass of wine. But when I’m watching sports I drink like a frat boy.

Yeah I found that as I get a little older that urge to chuck on the football or the cricket and have a dozen beers means even if I'm doing that on a saturday my mondays going to be a lot harder. Last year I went 6 months - non consecutive without drinking and the fitness gains were insane, just being able to get up and happily go for an easy walk on a sunday, make my work out monday morning and not having that "Yeah i have salad in the fridge but I can order wings" when I'm a 6 pack deep was pretty huge.

It's the post drinking anxiety for me I cant do anymore. Makes me want another beer and thats a bad road to go down. I'd rather just drink only on social occasions if I can. I find I go through a lot more sugar free soda though.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/officialpdc/status/1610378769520377858?s=46&t=WJawfuiY_p0hW0l3oGKmVg

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Timby posted:

It'll get resolved sooner rather than later. Congressional staffers don't get paid until there's a speaker and a rules package.

this has real "trump will never win republicans won't nominate him" in 2015 vibes, no offense

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

JPrime posted:

this has real "trump will never win republicans won't nominate him" in 2015 vibes, no offense

He just said it would be resolved, he didn't say they wouldn't agree Boebert was going to end up as speaker or MTG in a backstabbing that would actually impress me a little if we're imagining apocalyptic scenarios.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Grittybeard posted:

He just said it would be resolved, he didn't say they wouldn't agree Boebert was going to end up as speaker or MTG in a backstabbing that would actually impress me a little if we're imagining apocalyptic scenarios.

no sir, i don't like it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Aren't Boebert and MTG currently feuding because Boebert won't fully cop to "yes, that was an insurrection and if I'd been in charge Nancy Pelosi and Mike Pence would have their heads on stakes outside the capitol building right now" like MTG.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

JPrime posted:

It will have to get resolved eventually, the House of Reps literally cant do anything else until they pick a speaker. It might take weeks or months, but eventually, someone will get named speaker

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Skwirl posted:

Does the entire house vote, or just the majority party? Like, I know it would never happen, but if the Democrats unified and then pulled 5 Republicans could they make their own guy speaker?

The entire house. Current rules require a majority of people present. There are 232 present with 234 total reps and one vacancy. I don't know who the two missing people are, and they may have just been missing for the first vote.

The democratic nominee Jeffries has won each of the first two votes and is about to win the third, but not by a majority. If they drag on long enough they can agree to elect a speaker by plurality by modifying the rules with just a majority vote.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
lol mcarthy set to lose a third vote

what a marooon

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

JPrime posted:

I'm just saying there are several hundred congressional staffers living paycheck-to-paycheck in DC (gently caress, that region is expensive to live in) who will get very loud, very quickly, if they're not getting paid because the Republicans can't stop sledgehammering themselves in the dick.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Timby posted:

I'm just saying there are several hundred congressional staffers living paycheck-to-paycheck in DC (gently caress, that region is expensive to live in) who will get very loud, very quickly, if they're not getting paid because the Republicans can't stop sledgehammering themselves in the dick.

do you think those 19 members of congress give a single gently caress?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Skwirl posted:

Aren't Boebert and MTG currently feuding because Boebert won't fully cop to "yes, that was an insurrection and if I'd been in charge Nancy Pelosi and Mike Pence would have their heads on stakes outside the capitol building right now" like MTG.

No they are feuding over the Speaker vote that is being discussed. MTG is a McCarthy supporter

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Both my cats are sleeping on me and it's nice.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Adjourned until noon tomorrow. No Speaker today.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
It's evergreen

Silly Burrito posted:

Adjourned until noon tomorrow. No Speaker today.

:sickos:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pron on VHS posted:

No they are feuding over the Speaker vote that is being discussed. MTG is a McCarthy supporter

Yeah she cut a deal with the...maybe very slightly more sane R guy (????) than whoever else they will choose as far as I can tell, not that it'd be any good.

Although I will say I read this post in the 1950's McCarthy sense for a second and it still made sense with her.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I mean a lot of the modern Republican party would absolutely be behind 50's McCarthyism.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I mean a lot of the modern Republican party would absolutely be behind 50's McCarthyism.

And they don't care about shame this time around

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

My mind always reads MTG as Magic: The Gathering, but I know who is actually being referenced. Instead of taking a second to think of her real name I just read these discussions as "Boebert and Magic: The Gathering are fighting", but knowing it's actually the blond CrossFit nightmare congresswoman. At this point I would be more likely to look at a picture of her and say "that's Magic: The Gathering" instead of ever thinking of her real name when I see MTG.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

And they don't care about shame this time around

Yeah.

When did the concept of shame die to them? 1995?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Abugadu posted:

Yeah.

When did the concept of shame die to them? 1995?

About six seconds after the 1992 election was called for Clinton.

Remember Rush Limbaugh calling Chelsea the White House dog?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

After this one, there’s one hunk of Wellington left I gotta eat, and I didn’t know it was possible but drat I’m sick of eating Wellington. But the GF paid a lotta money for this roast so it’s getting eaten :negative:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

T-Square posted:

After this one, there’s one hunk of Wellington left I gotta eat, and I didn’t know it was possible but drat I’m sick of eating Wellington. But the GF paid a lotta money for this roast so it’s getting eaten :negative:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I remember reading something about Musk being an insatiable and voracious reader but I’m increasingly convinced he has only read my 8th grade honors English reading list

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status...ingawful.com%2F

gently caress, maybe 6th grade. Fahrenheit 451 is remedial as hell.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This is up there with that list of what animals a percentage of men think they could beat in a fight.
https://twitter.com/YouGovAmerica/status/1610021865753280512?t=E-sjnBsPKOMZkmDDX4vSjg&s=19

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Heya TFF! Hope you're having a great new year. I haven't been posting as much lately because I've been distracted by a few things, but I'm still around.

Anyway, wanted to let you know that I'm taking the "new year new you" thing seriously, and by that I mean that I came to terms with being trans. So, yeah! Same shirts, maybe some new cuts of fabric. She/her, and it's a pleasure to re-introduce myself.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Skwirl posted:

This is up there with that list of what animals a percentage of men think they could beat in a fight.
https://twitter.com/YouGovAmerica/status/1610021865753280512?t=E-sjnBsPKOMZkmDDX4vSjg&s=19

I mean, if you had to do it, I guess it's better to believe that you could instead of not? :shrug:

shirts and skins posted:

Heya TFF! Hope you're having a great new year. I haven't been posting as much lately because I've been distracted by a few things, but I'm still around.

Anyway, wanted to let you know that I'm taking the "new year new you" thing seriously, and by that I mean that I came to terms with being trans. So, yeah! Same shirts, maybe some new cuts of fabric. She/her, and it's a pleasure to re-introduce myself.

Congrats!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

shirts and skins posted:

You go girl! I hope this new direction in your life and identity makes you the happiest you've ever been.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

shirts and skins posted:

New av too. Congrats!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

shirts and skins posted:

oh hell yeah congratulations

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

shirts and skins posted:

Congrats!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

shirts and skins posted:

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

shirts and skins posted:

Hey congrats! That’s a huge deal and extremely brave.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

shirts and skins posted:

congrats!!!!!!!!!! I'm happy for you and hope you enjoy the new you!!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

LeeMajors posted:

I remember reading something about Musk being an insatiable and voracious reader but I’m increasingly convinced he has only read my 8th grade honors English reading list

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status...ingawful.com%2F

gently caress, maybe 6th grade. Fahrenheit 451 is remedial as hell.

I really want to know what he thinks the point of Fahrenheit 451 is

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I assume most of these dudes probably ignore the dozens and dozens of switches and toggles and gauges and think you can just grab the throttle slider thingies and “steering wheel” and control a whole rear end airliner? (but maybe you can idk, I definitely don’t think I could land one that’s for sure)

shirts and skins posted:

Good for you, congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

shirts and skins posted:

'Grats