Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Yeah the latest episode was extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Emily is “what if Travis McElroy was actually deserving of the enormous amount of screen time and focus he presents himself as on TAZ”. An incredibly creative, endlessly hilarious mastermind of d and d who knows what levers to pull and in what order to completely whomp the DM.

Also she was sent from hell to kill Brennan Lee Mulligan.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

And she makes good music! Cool lady.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oh god, this week's D'n'D Court is great. The discussion about AI generation of art is basically always interesting, but Murph saying that if any of the Campaign 1 cast were to come into the current campaign, he'd talk with the players behind the scenes to ask them about how they picture the cast having grown with Emily immediately going "Moonshine's tits have gotten bigger", before they play out a similar scenario to the question with the quote "Emily, you go to block the blast but your tits shatter" and "NOOO, not my tits!" loving slayed me.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm in the middle of season 2 of fantasy high; it's early 2020, they're excited about the start of a new year, Siobhan has a cough and apparently Brennan just got over a fever. These poor babes have no idea what's coming :( (we scrolled ahead to see how many episodes are left and the finale appears to be over zoom or something so oh no)

I'm also continually impressed at how wise Brennan seems to be. Just casually dropping powerful relationship advice like it was the most obvious thing in the world. It would be almost kind of cloying if he weren't so charismatic, but he is

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If I remember correctly he says Jawbone is the character he wishes he was the most like.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

They did an interesting dive into Pathfinder 2e on a Patreon episode today, not sure how long ago they recorded it though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

seaborgium posted:

They did an interesting dive into Pathfinder 2e on a Patreon episode today, not sure how long ago they recorded it though.

I'm only about 10 minutes in, and I'm already wondering why they're not doing more with it. Emily has said she wants to do some one shots, depending on the audience and whether it sticks around for Pathfinder 2e content, but I don't see why they wouldn't since it's the people involved and their improvisations and interactions that are the selling point and not the system they're playing, so I'm really hopeful they make them at some point because some of the stuff Emily has already talked about sounds great. The character creation and customization seems to have really grabbed everyone theres attention.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's up on the plebian feed as well, not all the way through but the system seems interesting

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

dc live show was great, both murph and jake got hit hard by making offhand jokes that they had to deal with for the rest of the session

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

tsob posted:

I'm only about 10 minutes in, and I'm already wondering why they're not doing more with it. Emily has said she wants to do some one shots, depending on the audience and whether it sticks around for Pathfinder 2e content, but I don't see why they wouldn't since it's the people involved and their improvisations and interactions that are the selling point and not the system they're playing, so I'm really hopeful they make them at some point because some of the stuff Emily has already talked about sounds great. The character creation and customization seems to have really grabbed everyone theres attention.

I managed to finish it, and it sounded like they were all really into it. I think that enthusiasm will wane a bit once they get some experience with how crunchy the system is, but 2e is a lot easier than 1e or 3.5. It did really sound like they wanted to do a couple of one shots though, would be cool to see.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Would they pivot to Pathfinder as a protection from WotC trying to claim licensing to the podcast?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

Would they pivot to Pathfinder as a protection from WotC trying to claim licensing to the podcast?

I'm sure that's at least at the back of their mind, though it sounds like WotC is backing off some on all that. They clearly also like using a lot of third party stuff for inspiration (Kobold Press in particular) and if those publishers start abandoning D&D (as seems plausible at this point) they may well follow.

I can't imagine they'd change systems mid campaign given a choice but one shots, mini campaigns or even a Pathfinder campaign 4 wouldn't shock me

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

seaborgium posted:

I managed to finish it, and it sounded like they were all really into it. I think that enthusiasm will wane a bit once they get some experience with how crunchy the system is, but 2e is a lot easier than 1e or 3.5. It did really sound like they wanted to do a couple of one shots though, would be cool to see.

I haven't listened to the Short Rest character creation episode yet, but I would think at least Emily would enjoy the crunchiness because she loves playing around with rules and abilities and poo poo, both to make a character just so, and to gently caress up poo poo in combat. I could certainly see Jake finding it frustrating, and maybe Caldwell but Emily definitely seems like the kind to enjoy that element. And, like they said Brennan used to handle leveling up when they played, I could see Emily or Murphy handling some of the more complicated parts if anyone found them frustrating but otherwise liked the system.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

kidcoelacanth posted:

dc live show was great, both murph and jake got hit hard by making offhand jokes that they had to deal with for the rest of the session

Hardwon's tiny mouth was so good

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I know it's unreasonable to expect they'd record and distribute all the live shows, but I still wish they would anyway.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

tsob posted:

I know it's unreasonable to expect they'd record and distribute all the live shows, but I still wish they would anyway.

It looks like most of the live shows eventually make it to the mixed bag tier Patreon feed at least, if they manage to record them successfully (which isn't always a given)

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Murph has said that he’s had a lot of issues with venues loving up recordings

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Murph has said that he’s had a lot of issues with venues loving up recordings

That's not really a shock. I assume they play a lot of relatively small venues that seat maybe a few hundred people, and most of them probably haven't considered it a priority to ensure they have a proper recording setup for audio only or that the staff care about it when desired.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

tsob posted:

I haven't listened to the Short Rest character creation episode yet, but I would think at least Emily would enjoy the crunchiness because she loves playing around with rules and abilities and poo poo, both to make a character just so, and to gently caress up poo poo in combat. I could certainly see Jake finding it frustrating, and maybe Caldwell but Emily definitely seems like the kind to enjoy that element. And, like they said Brennan used to handle leveling up when they played, I could see Emily or Murphy handling some of the more complicated parts if anyone found them frustrating but otherwise liked the system.

Definitely listen to the Short Rest. Having Emily or Murph do the leveling up would probably work as Jake and Caldwell were both really into the fact that they just wrote a paragraph description of the character, and Emily made them that exact character. Or close enough that it might need some minor tweeks, but otherwise exactly what they were looking for.

I still don't know if they'll switch, but they definitely have to be considering it.

docbeard posted:

It looks like most of the live shows eventually make it to the mixed bag tier Patreon feed at least, if they manage to record them successfully (which isn't always a given)

Often there's a bootleg that gets posted in the NaddPod discord as well, or there used to be. I haven't checked for the latest ones.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If they do decide to switch systems, at least they won't have to change the name of the show

maybe they already made this joke on the pod, i haven't listened yet

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

seaborgium posted:

Definitely listen to the Short Rest. Having Emily or Murph do the leveling up would probably work as Jake and Caldwell were both really into the fact that they just wrote a paragraph description of the character, and Emily made them that exact character. Or close enough that it might need some minor tweeks, but otherwise exactly what they were looking for.

I still don't know if they'll switch, but they definitely have to be considering it.

I'm fairly confident in my understanding of the lore, mechanics etc. of D'n'D as a system at this point, or at least as comfortable with them as someone who doesn't play it probably can be, but the drama over the OGL is treading into unfamiliar territory for me to some degree. It involves not just Legalese, but elements of the system that aren't generally going to be visible to someone who just experiences it through actual play, like how much someone can make use of it to tailor the game to the needs of their group; especially for content creators. I've mostly been keeping up with it through the DnDShorts guy, who I've been watching almost since he started anyway because I found his stuff amusing after I saw it pop up in my feed, but his view on it is about the only one I'm exposed to at this point for better or worse. Which is to say: fairly negative. I did see a video that was a lot more neutral by LegalEagle, but even he admitted in the video he's not a big DnD gamer so he probably doesn't have the most insight into the problems the OGL could be introducing either.

All that to say, I'm not really sure how much the OGL is impacting players or even bigger content creators either in it's current form or how much it could influence decisions if Hasbro/WOTC continue paring plans back. Or even how much this breach of trust has burned fans. I just watched the newest live action film trailer that went up a few hours ago for instance, and several comments were talking about how it's a pity the film looks pretty fun because a lot of people are probably going to boycott it by association with Hasbro/WOTC following the mess they've created. I haven't been keeping up with Critical Role for the past 2 months or so either for various reasons, so beyond the single tweet they put out about the situation, which was couched in fairly neutral terms for legal reasons, I'm not even sure how the broader community views things. How important it's felt to be, how much impact it's having on creators etc. The DnDShorts guy certainly makes it sound like a big issue a lot of fans and creators care about, but that doesn't actually mean it is.

I hope NaDDPod do at least a few one offs using Pathfinder 2e because it sounds pretty rad and the characters they introduced in the Short Rest were definitely very well tailored and realized for something they'd only had a one paragraph description of, but without some kind of announcement by the cast on their feelings I've no idea how they'd feel about the OGL since that one input I have on it may be amplifying it through that one person's viewpoint for all I know. Still, I cannot imagine they won't try at least one or two one shots given how much fun they had doing the deep dive and character creation. The comments section of the Patreon for each episode is fairly busy too, with 200 odd comments encouraging it, where a lot of other videos only get 50 or so comments. The DnD court ones seem to generate about 200 in general from a quick scan of recent stuff, but they're going to be busier anyway because the creators are directly asking people to share things. So that's not unexpected.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'd be fine with them changing to the Pathfinder, sounded like a neat system based on the episode.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the live dungeon court went up on the $10 patron feed last night. it's good

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

kidcoelacanth posted:

the live dungeon court went up on the $10 patron feed last night. it's good

Yeah, it was fun. I'd hope if they do it again they have a bit more audience participation in questions on the cases though honestly. I can see why they don't want to do so, since it could present a lot of "dead air" where it's just someone talking into a mic and not them improv'ing jokes etc, but it seems like good fodder for jokes as well as just interesting in and of itself to get more information/specifics to their often quite silly questions.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Having been to a live mbmam show, I will say that audience participation can be risky when a show reaches a certain level of popularity; they may have decided it wasn't worth the risk.

i was really on the fence about going to that show, i live in boston and really enjoyed the show from the first tour that came around here, but I'm still very covid-cautious (haven't knowingly caught it yet!) and wasn't comfortable being indoors in a crowd of that size. Glad they uploaded it, maybe this is my cue to upgrade to the $10 tier, I've been curious about those mixed bags, too.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

maybe this is my cue to upgrade to the $10 tier, I've been curious about those mixed bags, too.

it's worth it, there's a ton of backlog to dive into

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

Yeah, I made the jump a few months ago and I absolutely have no regrets. I'm not sure I'd recommend it unreservedly like I would the $5/mo tier but there's plenty of good stuff there (including a lot of live shows).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

docbeard posted:

Yeah, I made the jump a few months ago and I absolutely have no regrets. I'm not sure I'd recommend it unreservedly like I would the $5/mo tier but there's plenty of good stuff there (including a lot of live shows).

yeah gently caress it, I can afford it, I want the content, and it's cool to support the good funny people that I like, I'm in

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

10 bucks gets you the great grillionaire debate

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

10 bucks gets you the great grillionaire debate

It’s hidden within their review of the Dungeons and Dragons 80’s cartoon btw—just relistened to that episode last week!

When I’m completely caught up on all my podcasts and just want something to put on as background, I scroll through previous Mixed Bag episodes. So obviously I endorse the decision to do 10/month. If anything, my only complaint is that I wish they were in a separate feed so I could scroll through them easier :v:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

folks that's a thick 'sode

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This week’s ep is loving nuts.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

short rest is up too

ep spoilers: i'm really excited that the part is now toting around a despondent glen, him now being completely broken instead of the big bad that murph was planning on makes for a fascinating character to have lurking.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

kidcoelacanth posted:

The ever-growing backlog that builds up with podcast patreons is the main reason I don't subscribe to any. I'm sure I'll eventually sign up for at least a month of the ones I really like and just binge out on all the stuff available.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them try Pathfinder or some other system for their next campaign, whenever that may be. It's not a bad idea to try out new systems to keep things fresh anyway, even if the WotC mess hadn't gone down. The name of the podcast obviously suits that transition as well, if they make it.

A fun episode this week with some twists I didn't see coming and some that I did once things started kicking off. One of my campaigns wrapped up recently with baddies that were using confusion, and I can confirm that it can easily ruin your day as a big chunk of my party was disabled by it in my big fight.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't think I've ever heard Murph quite so panicked about his plans getting derailed, though he may well have been hamming it up a bit.

I don't expect it but it'd make me laugh so hard if Jake ended up taking over playing Glenn for the duration.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

docbeard posted:

I don't expect it but it'd make me laugh so hard if Jake ended up taking over playing Glenn for the duration.

Oh my god that would be so loving good

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

docbeard posted:

I don't think I've ever heard Murph quite so panicked about his plans getting derailed, though he may well have been hamming it up a bit.

I'd endorse this wholeheartedly, but yeah I'd be surprised if it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I finished the first campaign, loved it, and just never went on to the second for reasons I can really articulate. I heard it was pretty good, but not as good as the first, but the hexblood mini campaign is great. Can I just jump into that, or is C2 worth going through the whole thing?