Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

War and Pieces posted:

Isn't this just all Hammer Horror?

hammer horror movies (at least the ones ive watched) tend to be a lot slower and more understated than that movie - very little in the way of bouncy soundtracks, lots more dry mumbly conversations in sitting rooms

i actually went in expecting something more hammer-ish so i could have something pleasantly creepy and dull to watch during a midday nap, but the whole thing having the tone of "the setup part of the wacky movie before Don Knotts shows up" was too distracting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I went through the year end "Best of" Graphic Novels lists, and they all seem to be illustrators writing books about themselves now.

Is this just because Fun Home won so many awards or something?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
god Fun Home was so boring

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol they made it into a broadway musical which is really...something. They know their audience though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qlagsg5LT8

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

problem: parents are too busy working to try to keep the family above the water financially to do any real parenting so they shove tablets at kids to keep them occupied. they don't learn to properly socialize as a result for obvious reasons

solution: make *clap* better *clap* kid's *clap* youtube *clap* videos *clap*

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/thebookseller/status/1610252642856443906

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I have trouble believing that that's due to her politics more than the fact that everyone bought digital copies to read during the pandemic and they don't have to buy them again

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

If Jeremy Renner died, would they do the multi-year funeral dirge for him, like they did Chadwick? Or would it be a throwaway line in, let's say, Shang-Chi 2?

indigi posted:

I have trouble believing that that's due to her politics more than the fact that everyone bought digital copies to read during the pandemic and they don't have to buy them again

I don't think she's doing herself any financial favors though, which is why her years long meltdown is so fascinating. The TERF virus absolutely drives people mad.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

definitely not, I’m sure her terfitude is some part of it but we already knew that in 2020

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I really don't get how the TERF poo poo grabs on to the lib brain like it does. To me, it's the ultimate who gives a poo poo because none of this affects her in any way.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nichael posted:

If Jeremy Renner died, would they do the multi-year funeral dirge for him, like they did Chadwick? Or would it be a throwaway line in, let's say, Shang-Chi 2?

They already retired Hawkeye in a spinoff series

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

They already retired Hawkeye in a spinoff series
what if my post was a trap to expose which posters knew that minutia

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nichael posted:

I really don't get how the TERF poo poo grabs on to the lib brain like it does. To me, it's the ultimate who gives a poo poo because none of this affects her in any way.

because libs are in some ways feminist idpol brained. to libs, the patriarchy is evil, men are all bad, the penis is a sign of oppression and violence. once you understand libs see the penis as a symbol of threatening violation, unjust power, and evil that we had to fight to break free, it’s not a big leap to go into thinking everyone with a penis is damned for all eternity and wants to do harm; and those with a penis are violating spaces that are meant to be safespaces (penis free)

and yea if that sounds extremely illogical and stupid, then you are absolutely correct but that is the underlying mindset of terfs

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Nichael posted:

black panther was a king, hawkeye just shot arrows

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Rennkanda forever

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

mawarannahr posted:

never seen the rennman in action but he looks like he’d have made a decent hobbit

yeah if they were going to stretch the hobbit into three movies they might as well write a new story about an action hobbit that martin freeman's bilbo takes all the credit for

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Nichael posted:

it hasnt really caught on with libs outside of the UK so i assume its a product of their insane class society

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Rennkanda forever

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Xaris posted:

because libs are in some ways feminist idpol brained. to libs, the patriarchy is evil, men are all bad, the penis is a sign of oppression and violence. once you understand libs see the penis as a symbol of threatening violation, unjust power, and evil that we had to fight to break free, it’s not a big leap to go into thinking everyone with a penis is damned for all eternity and wants to do harm; and those with a penis are violating spaces that are meant to be safespaces (penis free)

and yea if that sounds extremely illogical and stupid, then you are absolutely correct but that is the underlying mindset of terfs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gavlcbunY00

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It may not surprise you that Dumas was a big fan of hashish. I think a lot of that part of the book is basically a travelogue. That said, you might still have some surprises in store.

The joke with Danglars at the end is apparebtly that the money he's left with is what he had earned more or less honestly, and he was also specifically subject to within an inch of the fate of Dantes' father; a slow death by starvation and despair. The Count's a massive drama queen like that. See also how with Morcerf he turns a moment of triumph into a personal disaster, and lets Villefort experience total betrayal from those close to him. It's also still funny how little he really had to do to make their lives unravel.

Caderousse is more on the lines of sloth, he had the opportunity to stop the plan before it started, and furthermore that to stop things from getting worse just by having a touch of backbone to resist the worst possible advice from hanging with terrible people, but he doesn't, and it ends up with him living mostly poorly and miserably, and then dying even moreso. I'm pretty sure a classic definition of sloth isn't just laziness and idleness, but refusing to use the brains God gave you and letting perfectly good talents and opportunities go to waste.

Like a lot of 'archetypal' things, Monte Cristo actually doesn't take its premise for granted like you'd expect and plays around with it. The whole Pyramus and Thisbe allusion isn't a coincidence; Maximillian and Valentine are pretty much Romeo and Juliet, caught up in a feud between their families (the Count pretty much having adopted his old boss's family for lack of his own) that to them is senseless and inexplicable. Actually kind of a theme there, with grandpa Nortier using it to her advantage to have her marriage called off because of HIS old feud.

Making me want to do a re-read, smh.
Too busy with Malazan (lol)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

indigi posted:

yeah

I think the real question is how does that dropoff compare to digital book sales as a whole

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
how does he do it? spliff?

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Boob Cop posted:

Too busy with Malazan (lol)
i am going to kill you

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Nichael posted:

I don't think she's doing herself any financial favors though, which is why her years long meltdown is so fascinating. The TERF virus absolutely drives people mad.

they don't seem to much enjoy putting him in movies while he's alive

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

loquacius posted:

Danglars is stripped of the last of his fortune by having him get kidnapped by Luigi Vampa and stuck in a cell, and starving him until he voluntarily signs it all away in exchange for like six meals total. I appreciated the irony in finishing him off by, essentially, showing him what capitalism is like for a poor person (this is what it's like to not be able to afford things but needing to buy them anyway), but it annoys me that they then set him loose with what I'm guessing from context is a totally normal amount of money for a person to have. He's the worst of all of them, and he got off the lightest. At least make him poor, goddammit. Mercedes ends up poorer than him.

Mercedes is stuck in the past, still romantacised Dantes and being poor.

Danglers was after his crisis of conciousness, so i believe it's why he was more lenient.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

josh04 posted:

they don't seem to much enjoy putting him in movies while he's alive
Somehow Jeremy returned... to the ground, six feet under.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Nichael posted:

mega identity politics around being a woman + inherent gender essentialism that’s dna-deep in their thought patterns = the evil forces of masculinity are destroying my identity

though why this makes so many of them not just mad but literally insane…man I don’t get it either

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Best Friends posted:

mega identity politics around being a woman + inherent gender essentialism that’s dna-deep in their thought patterns = the evil forces of masculinity are destroying my identity

though why this makes so many of them not just mad but literally insane…man I don’t get it either

at this point it feels like they've completely dropped the pretense of feminism. like any day now they are going to make a take about trans athletes about how REAL women don't know how to throw and catch a ball

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
they're feminism gas always just been liberal/economic they'll gladly drop the social question if it means they can still be girl boss

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

with the british media terfs its literally that they all go to the same dinner parties

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I really do think part of it is that the discourse is particularly hosed in the UK

Just like Tumblr and Buzzfeed being the site of a lot of 2010s American feminist discourse led to a lot of 2010s American feminist discourse being about what was on TV, Mumsnet being the site of a lot of British feminist discourse has led to British feminist discourse revolving largely around what Gen-Xers have to say about Kids These Days

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1610438462204698624?s=20

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Since British people have been immiserated in an environment where TERFing is a major portion of feminist discourse, that means that history and God are on their side, and anyone who disagrees is some kind of MRA (see: the term "TRA" invented solely to reinforce this association) or other reactionary agent. There is no doubt in their heart that they are in the right, so nothing they do or say in the name of this cause can be immoral.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

oh i'm rooting for the guy i guess. hate when a good samaritan gets punished. the glasses make him look way cuter.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

TDepressionEarl posted:

oh i'm rooting for the guy i guess. hate when a good samaritan gets punished. the glasses make him look way cuter.

he pointed a gun at his wife while high on cocaine

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Bro Dad posted:

he pointed a gun at his wife while high on cocaine

darn

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

also he faked having a heart attack multiple times while filming avengers because he was mad he didn't get a bigger role

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Hes also very into house flipping.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Bro Dad posted:

also he faked having a heart attack multiple times while filming avengers because he was mad he didn't get a bigger role

lol that's innovative shithousing. flopping on set. can't mix guns and drugs tho. hard pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bro Dad posted:

This seems like a particularly dumb way to cry wolf