Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

acidx posted:

What about a cardiac arrest would damage your lungs? And can that tell us anything about brain damage?

Lung damage would (probably) be from the resuscitation, not the cardiac arrest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

adaz posted:

So many professionals and he still barely survived. I don't remember who said it but that .4% survival rates for outside hospital cardiac arrests makes a bit more sense. If they had all this and one of the most fit athletes in the world... man.

https://twitter.com/NFLprguy/status/1610386080439615490

Yeah, speaking of the bengals long snapper...

"Bengals long snapper Cal Adomitis, who played with Damar Hamlin at Central Catholic and Pitt, said that when Cincinnati was updated on Hamlin's status, quarterback Joe Burrow was the first one to speak up and ask if the team could visit the Bills locker room to express their support/concern."

The situation is tragic but I did chuckle at chiropractor being included in the medical team list.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Not gunna post it here but gently caress Darren Rovell

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

acidx posted:

What about a cardiac arrest would damage your lungs? And can that tell us anything about brain damage?

ianad, but Fiz's first effortpost mentioned brain death is the big talking point, but other organs are damaged permanently pretty quickly without oxygen as well. No idea if the lungs are high up on the list of things affected.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Q_res posted:

Lung damage would (probably) be from the resuscitation, not the cardiac arrest.

Oh sure, the ventilator. I was worried that if his lungs were damaged from lack of oxygen then that wouldn't bode well for his brain, but if the damage is from the ventilator then maybe his brain got oxygen quick enough to prevent serious damage. It's probably hard to tell where his brain is at since they've had to keep him sedated.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Extra question for the medical goons. One reporter saying 50% ventilator and the other saying oxygen is sticking in my craw. One in the same? Unclear because hearsay?

https://twitter.com/MattParrino/status/1610428929013055489
https://twitter.com/4JoshReed/status/1610422377652838401

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

SpaceDrake posted:

Also, it's been made fairly explicit elsewhere that they were waiting for Damar's mom to reach the ambulance so she could ride along.

That would either be done if he was guaranteed to die very soon, or if it looked like he was fairly stable already.

Odd as it may seem, I take this as the best omen out of the whole incident.

When my late father started having heart attacks and related trauma, one thing that I learned fairly quickly was the difference between an ambulance that's nonchalantly puttering its way to a hospital, or sitting still before leaving for one, and an ambulance that is two-wheeling corners to get there immediately. Just because the paramedics are taking their time and not screeching tires out of the parking lot doesn't mean that it isn't a deadly serious situation, of course -- merely that they've judged that they can take their time and do it completely by the book, given the circumstances and symptomatic evidence. But if they're hauling rear end, all bets are off.

The med staff surging onto the field right after his collapse? That's urgency, and absolutely vital urgency, and if anything ends up having saved his life and/or brain, it was that immediacy of having trained people working on him. But if the ambulance felt like they could sit and wait for family, instead of taking off like a rocket and directing someone else to bring her, then yeah, it seems that things were kind of settled by then rather than being second-by-second. That would not have happened lightly in the situation.

Truly hoping that that urgency pays off with good results.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

It could be either.

Ventilation delivery runs the spectrum from full mechanical ventilations, where you set a rate and volume and let it ride, to highly sensitive ventilations that sense your effort and provide assistance.

Native breathing is a negative pressure exercise—diaphragm contracts, creates negative pressure in lungs and airbrushes in. Ventilation is a positive pressure action. This can damage sensitive upper and lower airway tissues over time. Tubes going into tracheas make an avenue for infection. He could’ve aspirated before the intubation occurred. He could have pneumo or hemopneumothoraces from the chest trauma of the resus. All resuscitation is extremely traumatic. We absolutely ruin the chest walls of people we compress—and by extension, the organs underneath.

It could also be oxygen settings.

The normal percent of oxygen in room air is 21%. You can dial that in up to 100% on basically every ventilator I’ve seen for supplemental oxygen, adjust pressure to keep alveoli from collapsing.

delfin posted:

merely that they've judged that they can take their time and do it completely by the book, given the circumstances and symptomatic evidence. But if they're hauling rear end, all bets are off.

I’d caution against feeling that way. Time sensitive maladies (trauma, strokes, STEMIs) will get a 5min scene time but the longest scene times I have are securing airways and working arrests.

This falls into the latter categories, and mixing vasoactive agents and paralyzing and sedating folks takes time—and more importantly is very hard to do squealing down the highway.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 4, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Thanks everybody for the informative posts 🙌

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

https://twitter.com/Luciow1992/status/1610444674409562116?s=20&t=IWHL02Ryv7UbgEUlt7mhgw I could be reading this wrong, but it sounds like based on the interview here that he's referring to the ventilator assisting his breathing, and that he's starting to get the use of his lungs back.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

At least that's where I'm at. I didn't and still don't care about NASCAR, but the seemingly minor looking crash that killed Dale Earnhardt affected me in a way similar to this.

What's odd to me is that Dale didn't affect me at all. Car racing is dangerous business and people get killed all the time. One weekend at San Marino killed more people on field than the NFL.

But the NFL had like two million snaps in the last 50 years and literally tens of millions of chances for something like this to happen and it just didn't.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sash! posted:

What's odd to me is that Dale didn't affect me at all. Car racing is dangerous business and people get killed all the time. One weekend at San Marino killed more people on field than the NFL.

But the NFL had like two million snaps in the last 50 years and literally tens of millions of chances for something like this to happen and it just didn't.

I guess it was because of all the insane crashes we've seen where someone walked away, and a seemingly minor wreck was deadly.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

The situation is tragic but I did chuckle at chiropractor being included in the medical team list.

Still more useful than the neurotrauma consultant who's probably just now asking what the final score was.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

pseudodragon posted:

Still more useful than the neurotrauma consultant who's probably just now asking what the final score was.

I’d rather be ignored than have the doctor actively harm me based on woo woo bullshit.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’d rather be ignored than have the doctor actively harm me based on woo woo bullshit.

Hey, he learned his technique from the best ghosts in his field.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The breathing being 50% doesn't necessarily mean anything and I wouldn't take it as a good thing or bad. That's coming from a family member who is in an incredibly stressful situation learning about things are are incredibly complex and relaying something he might not have understood. I'm not saying he's too stupid to understand it or anything, it's just not useful right now. Plus the people reporting on it don't understand it either.

Weening ventilator support can look like a couple of things. They could have just decreased the amount of oxygen he's on, or decreased the amount breaths the vent is giving him, or decreased his cannula, or changed the settings. They might have been trying to hyper oxygenate him for some reason and are trying to bring him back down. My first rotation was plum critical care but that was a long time ago and this is more of a swickles question.

Basically I wouldn't read too much into that either way.

adaz posted:

I don't know who can answer this (if anyone can) but in cases like this you have the patient intubated after cardiac arrest and on oxygen what do you monitor before bringing them back into consciousness? I assume part of it is you just give time for the body to heal so you leave them sedated awhile just for that. I'm guessing you then monitor like o2 saturation, pulse rate etc but what is the general procedure if anyone knows?

Arterial Blood Gasses. basically put a line directly into an artery and get very precise C02, O2, bicarb, pH lvl. Beyond oxygenation you're worried about acidosis, meaning they're not clearing CO2. The air we breathe in gives us oxygen, but when we breathe out that same air clears our CO2. Like I said, if you hold your breathe, you pass out because you have too much CO2, not because you don't have enough oxygen.

The other thing that can cause acidosis are metabolic problems, primary concern here being problems with the kidneys, but he'll be getting regular renal panels im sure.

If they're worried about brain death from a hypoxic brain injury, they'll do the apnea test the Apnea test is pretty simple; they decrease the supplemental o2 and see if his body increases respirations to get more air in and clear the CO2. We change how we breathe without thinking to do it. If his pCO2 rises without compensatory change, then that implies the pons and medulla are damaged.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don't know how many guys have been actively harmed by a chiropractor in the NFL, but we've seen multiple times this season where guys have been put in danger due to incompetence/negligence on the part of the spotter.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

tangy yet delightful posted:

I like all the people being shocked there’s no cardiologist… I don’t think the NFL is building cath labs into stadiums.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
He's been flipped onto his stomach to relieve pressure on his lungs.

Is that standard procedure? Or is that bad thing?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

He's been flipped onto his stomach to relieve pressure on his lungs.

Is that standard procedure? Or is that s bad thing?

Proning was one of those things they used a lot for the worst covid vent patients with ARDS.

But again, we don’t know enough to know anything really other than he’s capital R, capital S, Really Sick.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Is that standard procedure? Or is that bad thing?

bad. this is used to help treat acute respiratory distress syndrome.

quote:

This study found that 48.4% patients developed ARDS after ROSC based on the serial results of ABGA, chest images, and echocardiography used to diagnose ARDS among comatose CPR survivors, and the occurrence of ARDS is independently related to poor neurological outcomes.

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/ther.2019.0047

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What does this mean

https://twitter.com/VLyonsTV/status/1610449523524108288?s=20&t=K7n9UGvBYVbvnGtLMIg9Mg

Edit: oh already posted. Sorry

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

In good news

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1610468695473618944

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Extra question for the medical goons. One reporter saying 50% ventilator and the other saying oxygen is sticking in my craw. One in the same? Unclear because hearsay?

https://twitter.com/MattParrino/status/1610428929013055489
https://twitter.com/4JoshReed/status/1610422377652838401

Surely they are going to mean he’s on fio2 50%. Which means the ventilator is giving oxygen with a higher percentage of oxygen than just room air.

When you’re dealing with families they’re obviously very nervous and constantly looking for improvement when there really isn’t any because of how post rosc cooling works. Usually you use some strong sedatives or and paralytics to stop shivering.

I worked as a critical care nurse for the cleveland clinic for nearly 10 years.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

i'm hopeful due to his age/health/quick compressions
weird poo poo could happen but this basically happened in the best possible scenario outside of it being in a hospital
i think he's good
he won't be playing for awhile what with his chest cracked open tho

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I have no idea about anything but his heart stopping a second time seems bad.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

sheri posted:

I have no idea about anything but his heart stopping a second time seems bad.

i haven't been keeping super up to date
did his heart stop again?
if it was at the hospital then that's the best case scenario
sucks tho

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Turdfuzz posted:

sucks tho

According to uncle who obviously understands only so much Damar needed to be resuscitated again in the ER.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Turdfuzz posted:

i'm hopeful due to his age/health/quick compressions
weird poo poo could happen but this basically happened in the best possible scenario outside of it being in a hospital
i think he's good
he won't be playing for awhile what with his chest cracked open tho

He will be lucky* if he ever breathes on his own again.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Turdfuzz posted:

sucks tho

Yeah, once in the field and once at the hospital.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

mdemone posted:

He will be lucky* if he ever breathes on his own again.

hosed up if true

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

i think he's good tho
i believe in the power of jesus christ
also medical science

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

he's gonna be fine
his chest is gonna be bruised and battered due to the compressions but he's gonna live
u all are just naysayers shame on u

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

thank you Turdfuzz

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

I know someone asked earlier in the thread about like if he was entitled for healthcare and medical expenses and it turns out the CBA is more complicated than I thought! While his immediate healthcare is covered because he's under contract etc, I had thought he was also a veteran and so was covered for longer but apparently? you have to e in the league for 3 years and 3 months before considered a vested veteran. Without that when he "retires" or is cut he technically wouldn't be eligible for the 5 years of medical care.

Obviously, all this is hypothetical there is 0 chance the Bills and NFL wouldn't pay for everything assuming he makes a recovering (please recover) but it's an interesting tidbit.

https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1610400398564798464

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

adaz posted:

I know someone asked earlier in the thread about like if he was entitled for healthcare and medical expenses and it turns out the CBA is more complicated than I thought! While his immediate healthcare is covered because he's under contract etc, I had thought he was also a veteran and so was covered for longer but apparently? you have to e in the league for 3 years and 3 months before considered a vested veteran. Without that when he "retires" or is cut he technically wouldn't be eligible for the 5 years of medical care.

Obviously, all this is hypothetical there is 0 chance the Bills and NFL wouldn't pay for everything assuming he makes a recovering (please recover) but it's an interesting tidbit.

https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1610400398564798464

at this point I feel like I'd rather donate to his family/family GFM if there's anything available

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah, once in the field and once at the hospital.

Maybe they meant he went in to v fib again in the hospital and needed to be shocked again?

No idea if that is not unexpected in commotio cordis?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Bellmaker posted:

at this point I feel like I'd rather donate to his family/family GFM if there's anything available

Yeah, that's my view when donating to the GFM. If it goes to his charitable causes that is awesome, but if it goes toward supporting his potential lifetime disability I'm not going to complain.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Lifespan posted:

Yeah, that's my view when donating to the GFM. If it goes to his charitable causes that is awesome, but if it goes toward supporting his potential lifetime disability I'm not going to complain.

At the risk of not being cynical enough I refuse to imagine that the Pagula's wouldn't cover whatever the hell medical and care of life bills he has going forward indefinitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004

Lifespan posted:

Based on the update on the go fund me, it seems they aren't just using it for the toy drive anymore. They said it's the only fund to donate to for him/his family. https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-chasing-ms-foundation-community-toy-drive