Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Ruflux posted:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/mean-autonomy-73303809

Apparently somebody figured out how to fix the autonomy bug where sims are just assholes for no reason without requiring outright disabling mean interaction autonomy from MC Tuner. Cool. Haven't tested this yet since I think it might not work because my game is way out of date due to the HSY patch still having outstanding issues, but for anyone who is updated and is suffering from excessively mean sims, this should hopefully fix that. And without waiting for EA to patch it which might happen in 2023 if we're lucky.

I hope this ends up working, but the highlights of this bug was being berated by Santa on xmas 'til i cried, and getting my rear end beat by Ms crumplebottom (or maybe that's normal) at the bar during my date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Knowing ms crumplebottom that might be normal

Goobish
May 31, 2011

That fix worked like a charm by the way! Saved me from getting burnt out on this current run because the level of micromanaging was not fun. Now the only weird thing happening is I keep having baby cribs spawn for no reason, but eh whatever, just an extra 150 simoleans for God knows what reason! I'll take it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So the Carl's mod fixes restaurants. They work, they let you work as the chef, waiter etc, you can have guests seat themselves, get their own food, and it all works pretty well. Sadly that makes it trivial to get a 4 star restaurant in no time at all. Using your own ingredients is in the early release Patreon stage, so I haven't messed with that, maybe that with the simple living challenge makes it a bit more challenging

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I'm pondering getting a 'fishbowl simulator', i.e. a game where I can watch little people interact with each other in a largely hands-off way. I'm not super interested in getting the exact right shade for my wallpaper or recreating my entire family, just having interesting characters do interesting things. Which Sims title is best for that sort of thing? And what are the must-have expansions and mods for that version?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm pondering getting a 'fishbowl simulator', i.e. a game where I can watch little people interact with each other in a largely hands-off way. I'm not super interested in getting the exact right shade for my wallpaper or recreating my entire family, just having interesting characters do interesting things. Which Sims title is best for that sort of thing? And what are the must-have expansions and mods for that version?

I think definitely Sims 3, Generations, Seasons, Late Night, and maaaaybe College are essential

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Sims 3 University would be essential, since that's the one with the roommate system, unless they put that in the base game with a free patch when I wasn't looking.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Buschmaki posted:

I think definitely Sims 3, Generations, Seasons, Late Night, and maaaaybe College are essential

Hm. Any DLC to specifically avoid? And as far as mods go, NRAAS is apparently a must-have; any other ones that come highly recommended?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
World Adventures and Into the Future both require player intervention for their core gimmicks, and most of Island Paradise’s as well. (Also the AI is incapable of dealing with the mere peoples hydration stat and the sims have a really hard time pathing on it’s included map.) The Katy Perry set should probably be avoided unless you’re into that.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxyW6AJ-yIk

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

FredMSloniker posted:

Hm. Any DLC to specifically avoid? And as far as mods go, NRAAS is apparently a must-have; any other ones that come highly recommended?

I'd avoid Supernatural because of the annoying zombies that you can't turn off, unlike all other fantasy creatures in this EP (unless there's a mod to remove them)

If you want to use Nraas story progression, I'd advise you to turn it on only once in a while because otherwise your town is going to get too crowded (which makes the game run like poo poo)

As for mods I'd recommend, I use Awesome mod for two little things that irritate me immensely in the vanilla game: voice and face randomization for new sims. Voice because I hate the default female voice that all born-in-game and newly generated sims have and face because TS3 has a weird feature that all townie sims have the same face model

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Pretty sure you can just hard set the moon phase to get rid of zombies.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Oh yeah, I've never thought of doing that

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
What's the cheapest way to access the complete DLC collection for 4? Besides piracy. Is it still just wait for a sale and buy it piecemeal over time or does EA's subscription scheme cover that for me? Any other options?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

What're some good ways to encourage the Sims in The Sims 3 to do more interesting stuff on their own? Besides 'don't own a TV, a computer, or any sort of gaming device'.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Kicking them out of the house and sending them to community lots or other sims' houses may bring some interesting results. In bigger households I also like to control only one sim and let the rest do their own thing. Bonus points if they have personality traits which give them some weird interactions (e.g. if your sim is a Loner, they won't ever do loving anything but if they're Flirty, Hot-headed, Crazy, Inappropriate etc. then they will do a lot of stupid but entertaining things).
But at the end of the day I think sims without some nudging from the player are pretty boring. If you don't have any ideas of what to do with them, wants (or desires, or wishes, or whatever they're called in 3) might give you some inspiration. And the general rule for me is that the more sims in the house the merrier, especially if you don't want to control them too much

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Yeah you'll have to control them occasionally, they don't do too many interesting things on their own.

At least in Sims 4 they fill the house with water glasses and then get mad about them...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

pidan posted:

Yeah you'll have to control them occasionally, they don't do too many interesting things on their own.

At least in Sims 4 they fill the house with water glasses and then get mad about them...

"I'm hungry! Let me make an entire turkey dinner!"

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.
After a year of playing Sims 4 I have determined that creating a household with an Erratic, Kleptomaniac, Loner is the best way to kick off Sims 4 legacy saves.

Go Tech Guru to have the starter sim steal electronics and establish a thriving household savings real quick.
They stay self-sufficient thanks to traits and can talk to themselves for social when the need strikes.

Powerlevel Mischief by "Trolling teh Forums" and spend days off from work just going door to door robbing neighbors.

If you play Short Lifespan I would advise going Vampire to keep that progenitor goon sim around to see their legacy unfold.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dawgstar posted:

Well I ate one portion time to make another.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dawgstar posted:

"Welcome to my party! Please, feel free to each of you bake an entire cake."

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Been playing a lot of TS2 for the first time and getting a promotion is way harder with the friendship requirement. I can see why they cut it out for TS3/4, kind of immersion-breaking that I can't go from a birthday clown to a mime because I haven't talked to enough strangers.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
https://twitter.com/TheSims/status/1621177820008382467

Looks cuuuute, I do a lot of family gameplay so pretty excited!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

mutantIke posted:

Been playing a lot of TS2 for the first time and getting a promotion is way harder with the friendship requirement. I can see why they cut it out for TS3/4, kind of immersion-breaking that I can't go from a birthday clown to a mime because I haven't talked to enough strangers.

A joke I recall from that era was a guy complaining that someone knocked on his door at 8 in the evening, told five jokes, danced with him three times, and should totally get a promotion.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

mutantIke posted:

There's one aspiration perk which reduces the number of friends required and almost definitely there are mods which get rid of it completely.
And iirc some jobs in 3 require you to be friends with your boss and/or colleagues so they didn't cut it out entirely.

I remember making friends in ts2 and 3 used to be a real struggle for me and I almost never played with popularity sims because of that. Oh, and the parties. So stressful, lol.
Then I figured out the party mechanics and life suddenly got so much easier.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Hard mode in Sims 3 is not taking the reward that stops friendship decay.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Hard mode in Sims 3 is playing with all expansion packs. Will you be able to achieve your lifetime aspiration before the save gets corrupted forever?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

EA rerelease Sims 3 as a 64 bit game with no other changes and I will pay whatever you want.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Making friends in TS2 is a lot easier when you realize that calling people on the phone and talking seems to increase friendship faster than anything else in the game

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Sims 4 used to have friends requirements for certain promotions at launch but they took it out really early on. They also got rid of the ideal mood thing which completely negates the mood system since it had a huge effect on work performance. Asymmetric relationships were (surprisingly, since Sims 3 didn't have them) also a thing but once again this was something they patched out so early that it's legitimately not documented anywhere on the internet as far as I can tell.

Sims 4's development was and continues to be a mess considering we're now finally being sold the missing piece of Generations as a whole new expansion pack. Looking forward to all the new obvious bugs missed by the nonexistent QA, broken features and the reality of EA's faked trailers hitting the community after excessive hype once again!

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
At this rate, Sims 5 is going to have the most realistic build mode of any video game ever but your sims will not be able to do anything besides go to the bathroom, get into fistfights, and make salad

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I wish Sims 5 would add more difficulty and friction to the game again. Sims 4 is far too easy going.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

mutantIke posted:

At this rate, Sims 5 is going to have the most realistic build mode of any video game ever but your sims will not be able to do anything besides go to the bathroom, get into fistfights, and make salad

Just like me fr

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
BTW as someone who never played Sims 4, does it maintain the Sims 3 thing of calling alcoholic beverages "juice" and calling smoking "blowing bubbles" and stuff? I always found that a bit silly considering the game has a T for Teen rating

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Absolutely. You train Mixology to mix up neat juices, you can buy a Juice Fizzer to make your own homebrew. I thought for a moment they'd removed the bubble blowers, but then I remembered I took a date to this rooftop bar and she spent most of the night on the hookah in the corner.

Like, you mix up things that sound at least adjacent to mixed drinks, but they either outright call it juice or never mention the word alcohol.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

EA rerelease Sims 3 as a 64 bit game with no other changes and I will pay whatever you want.

Even just buff up Sims 2 a bit to take the rough edges off a 20 year old game , give us a smidge more character customisation in Create-a-Sim and I would happily hand over a sum of money in whatever currency EA prefer.

(Also, while you're at it, EA, can we have a port of Sims 2 (DS)/The Urbz/Bustin' Out, as well as the Sims Medieval? Those weird, weird offshoots of the main series were brilliant and delightfully off-kilter. I still sometimes think with fondness of running about the desert trying to free people from a cow-cult under the instruction of an Egyptian Mummy, while mobsters, aliens and robots fought it out in the background)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

cheesetriangles posted:

I wish Sims 5 would add more difficulty and friction to the game again. Sims 4 is far too easy going.

I'd also like some more gameplay. Please fewer rabbit holes.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

mutantIke posted:

BTW as someone who never played Sims 4, does it maintain the Sims 3 thing of calling alcoholic beverages "juice" and calling smoking "blowing bubbles" and stuff? I always found that a bit silly considering the game has a T for Teen rating

In much of the world there are strict regulations on depictions of smoking in video games regardless of rating.
In America there are consumer groups (like MADD) that will raise a stink if you depict alcohol use in video games.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Dareon posted:

Absolutely. You train Mixology to mix up neat juices, you can buy a Juice Fizzer to make your own homebrew. I thought for a moment they'd removed the bubble blowers, but then I remembered I took a date to this rooftop bar and she spent most of the night on the hookah in the corner.

Like, you mix up things that sound at least adjacent to mixed drinks, but they either outright call it juice or never mention the word alcohol.

Don’t forget that University Life let you keg stand “juice” and add special “herbs” to fire pits and foods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I've been sinking hours into Project Zomboid as of late (really good indie game, basically The Sims 1 reimagined as a zombie survival roguelike) and it's made me realize how much I would dig a slightly edgier/more "realistic" Sims game. Not just silly stuff like calling sex sex and calling alcohol alcohol, but a game designed around longer character lives, deeper emotions, and more nuanced relationships. (There can still be ghosts and ghouls and poo poo, IDK). Maybe I'll find that in Paralives when that comes out in 2026