Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Tiggum posted:

Is there a simple android app that will let me manually track how long I sleep for (ie. I enter in the times I went to bed and woke up)? I don't want it to try to figure out if I'm asleep or not or measure how much I snore or any of that stuff, just let me keep track of when I went to bed and roughly how much sleep I get each night. Preferably without any other features (like fitness tracking, etc.) but they're ok so long as I can just ignore them and I don't have to click through several screens to get to the one thing I want.

I use Sleep as Android and if you never actually use the live sleep tracking it'll prompt you to manually enter the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Busy Bee posted:

I guess my question was more around if I estimate the value to be $10,000 - wouldn't either UPS / FedEx ask me how I came to this value and if I can show any receipts? Obviously, I wouldn't have any receipts from cards that are over 20+ years old and since they were not graded, the value of the cards can vary by hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.

No.

You are buying $10,000 worth of insurance on the act of shipping this box. You are purchasing the security that the box you are shipping arrives at its intended destination. You could ship an empty box and pay for $10,000 of insurance. If that empty box does not arrive and is lost, you would still get that $10,000 - because that's what you paid for. You are not paying for the value of item in the box. You are paying for the service of delivery. They could ask what you shipped, but if they genuinely lost it, it doesn't matter what was in there. The shipping/safe delivery is what you are paying for. That's what the insurance is for.

What you seem to be focused on would be getting them insured in case of damage or theft, unrelated to the shipping. That is something you can get insurance for, but you need the evaluation to happen first.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Platystemon posted:

Do the shipping companies actually care how accurate your estimate is?

You paid them one percent of ten thousand dollars for an event that has significantly less than one percent chance of occurring.

In general overstating an asset’s value to insurer’s is done so that someone can commit insurance fraud, by causing a “freak accident” that wasn’t an accident at all. In the case of shipping, though, the shipper has control the parcel the whole time. You could only defraud them if you somehow caused them to lose your package while it was in their care.

The amount of money you pay to insure to your declared value is calculated to take in account the amount of money they'd pay you versus the odds of the claim being needed. And of course, it's set so that there's no way they would ever come out behind, so there's no system to game.

Edit: tldr if you pay them 1% of the value, that's them saying that the odds of them actually screwing it up that badly are significantly lower than 1%, so they're going to put that 1% aside to help pay for the unlucky person that they do gently caress over

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 3, 2023

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I seemed to somewhere along the way get the idea that all surgery requires an epidural and intubation. Is either thing true? (I've never had surgery)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

So how many people ship delayed combustibles of some kind to trigger the insurance? I know the answer is "very few", but it just makes financial sense to insure something for a million, but the actual thing is just a device that will burn itself in 20 hours without leaving a useful trace.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Not all surgery requires that kinda full-body "knock the patient out" general anesthesia. For example, a vasectomy is a surgical procedure, but all it involves is applying a bit of local anesthetic, get in, snip snip, and you're outta there in less than half an hour.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Killingyouguy! posted:

I seemed to somewhere along the way get the idea that all surgery requires an epidural and intubation. Is either thing true? (I've never had surgery)

For just how complicated surgery can get without someone going fully under here is a video of a neurosurgeon operating on a brain tumor while the guy plays a guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3kXCC3h1dw

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Tiggum posted:

Is there a simple android app that will let me manually track how long I sleep for (ie. I enter in the times I went to bed and woke up)? I don't want it to try to figure out if I'm asleep or not or measure how much I snore or any of that stuff, just let me keep track of when I went to bed and roughly how much sleep I get each night. Preferably without any other features (like fitness tracking, etc.) but they're ok so long as I can just ignore them and I don't have to click through several screens to get to the one thing I want.

Google Fit has this. I've never actually used it but from what I can see you just hit Browse > Sleep > + and enter your time. Looks like you can attach it to the Sleep app but you don't have to to manually enter times like that.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I've also had like shoulder surgery where they did knock me out with some gas but I didn't need intubation or anything like that. Just a little mask kept in place with some elastic and a person controlling the flow of the gas and stuff while checking my vitals.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Killingyouguy! posted:

Getting a superficial cyst cut out of your skin counts as surgery, and odds are all you'd get for that would be local anaesthesia, not even an epidural. KOing someone with anaesthesia is a risk; there's always a small chance that you die just from the drugs. Getting put so far under that you require intubation to make sure you keep breathing is especially risky. So doctors will prefer to use the smallest amount of drugs needed to ensure that the procedure goes through with the smallest chance of complications. Basically, it's all about risk management and giving the patient the best shot possible at a healthier life.

I'm no doctor, but my understanding is that they reserve sedation for procedures that are especially long and/or especially invasive. They're probably also more likely to drug patients that are unable or unwilling to hold still for the duration.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

A lot of more minor surgeries are also done on zonk drugs like benzos and stuff that just chill you the gently caress out. Or local numbing agents as others have said.

Anesthesiology is a huge field with tons of options in it, not just full blown intubation (known as "general anesthesia"), which is a risk that is generally avoided unless the benefit of the surgery merits it

e: a C-section is literally cutting someone's abdomen open and iirc the patient is fully conscious but totally numb below a certain point in the spine

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah I even remember when they took my wisdom teeth out they IV'd me and I asked what they'd be giving me and the anesthesiologist there told me that I would be conscious but they were giving me so much valium that I wouldn't remember a thing. My parents used to talk all the time about the ridiculous poo poo I said after they were done, but I don't remember a moment of it. Might as well have been unconscious.

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

Is there a way to look at my post history or find a post I made without having to find a post I made?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense.
Much like my posting

Its 2023

Boob Cop fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 4, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
For threads you want to find your posts in,

Load the first page of the thread

Slap &userid=230382 onto the end of the URL

Go to address.

If you wish to find posts globally, bookmark this URL that will return a search for them: https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=posthistory&userid=230382

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

Platystemon posted:

For threads you want to find your posts in,

Load the first page of the thread

Slap &userid=230382 onto the end of the URL

Go to address.

If you wish to find posts globally, bookmark this URL that will return a search for them: https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=posthistory&userid=230382

Thank you!

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

Jeff: We hear you, we see you

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Boob Cop posted:

Is there a way to look at my post history or find a post I made without having to find a post I made?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense.
Much like my posting

Its 2023

you can also just put username:"Boob Cop" in the the search box (search doesn't require platinum anymore, although iirc it used to years ago)
this handy-dandy search box in the top left corner searches just one thread, or you can click "search the forums" in the header/footer to search everywhere.

results look like this:

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 4, 2023

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Inceltown posted:

Google Sheets?
This is actually what I was using, but it was a real hassle as it's obviously not designed to be used the way I want to use it. And once the list starts getting longer there's a lot of scrolling to find the current day.

Killingyouguy! posted:

I use Sleep as Android and if you never actually use the live sleep tracking it'll prompt you to manually enter the time

artsy fartsy posted:

Google Fit has this. I've never actually used it but from what I can see you just hit Browse > Sleep > + and enter your time. Looks like you can attach it to the Sleep app but you don't have to to manually enter times like that.
Tried both of these and I hate them. Too much garbage all over the screen that I have to click through to find the one thing I want. And Sleep as Android seems to just display the information in a list, which is no better than just writing it down in Notepad? Except worse, actually, because the way it's displayed makes extremely poor use of space.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Tiggum posted:

Tried both of these and I hate them. Too much garbage all over the screen that I have to click through to find the one thing I want. And Sleep as Android seems to just display the information in a list, which is no better than just writing it down in Notepad? Except worse, actually, because the way it's displayed makes extremely poor use of space.

I see a "Simple Sleep Tracker" and a "Simple Sleep Diary" app in the store, have you tried either of those? The reviews don't look bad

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Tiggum posted:

This is actually what I was using, but it was a real hassle as it's obviously not designed to be used the way I want to use it. And once the list starts getting longer there's a lot of scrolling to find the current day.

I mean, that is bc you're using it in an unintended way, but after a week or so it'll start giving you analytics about when you should be going to bed and stuff like that, there's a whole Charts section in the menu

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
A long long time ago, pearls were being clutched about teenage girls destroying their voices by talking like Britney Spears. The term was "vocal fry", fine. Now I've noticed over the last few years this vocal tic of overemphasizing final syllables with a schwa, like "That was really great-ə", "Not on your life-ə". So a) who started this, and b) is there a term for it? As an old I'd be happy to ignore it, but I have nieces that do this so it's been in my face lately.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Tad Naff posted:

A long long time ago, pearls were being clutched about teenage girls destroying their voices by talking like Britney Spears. The term was "vocal fry", fine. Now I've noticed over the last few years this vocal tic of overemphasizing final syllables with a schwa, like "That was really great-ə", "Not on your life-ə". So a) who started this, and b) is there a term for it? As an old I'd be happy to ignore it, but I have nieces that do this so it's been in my face lately.

Here's a discussion: https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=3426

To me that just immediately brings to mind Mark E Smith of the Fall's intonation, and presumably kids aren't imitating him. In any case it's old.

https://youtu.be/_Ux0A3cMPVA

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

There are gas stations in my town next to each other and one has gas for $4 a gallon while the other is $5.50.

The cheaper station is well lit and clean and the more expensive station doesn’t have any obvious advantages. The price differences have been like that for years and I’m wondering how stations that charge so much more for what I assume is the same product stay in business.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
Money laundering business wants to keep away the customers.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Hyrax Attack! posted:

There are gas stations in my town next to each other and one has gas for $4 a gallon while the other is $5.50.

The cheaper station is well lit and clean and the more expensive station doesn’t have any obvious advantages. The price differences have been like that for years and I’m wondering how stations that charge so much more for what I assume is the same product stay in business.

Could also just be making enough money off fleet customers who have no choice.

Edit: This may make more sense than it sounds. Having retail customers as the primary market means that you need to cater to those customers with more staff to clean and front poo poo regularly. The fleet customers are driven by the fuel discounts you give them and are captured by those discounts so you don't need to waste any money changing lightbulbs and cleaning the bathrooms. Keeping the price high probably also gets them the people who don't care about the extra cost when the cheaper place is lined up and the difference between their higher rate and the competitive rate is all profit

tuyop fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 4, 2023

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you can also just put username:"Boob Cop" in the the search box (search doesn't require platinum anymore, although iirc it used to years ago)
this handy-dandy search box in the top left corner searches just one thread, or you can click "search the forums" in the header/footer to search everywhere.

results look like this:

Oh, ok awesome, tyvm!

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Is there any way to fry foods without oil getting all over everything? I'm trying to get more into cooking but I avoid frying because every time I've tried it the oil spatters all over me and all over the stove and it's gross and obnoxious. Should I just buy some new pans with lids? Or only fry in deep stock-pot type things? Or am I actually doing something wrong and the oil shouldn't be spattering like that?

ETA: I've even been avoiding cooking bacon, the situation is dire

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Frying indoors sucks. You can get a tabletop deep fryer that contains things better. But shallow frying is just messy. I have a splatter guard that helps but if you pan fry, there’s gonna be a fair amount of cleanup.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah a fine mesh splatter screen really helps.

If it’s stainless steel, you can use oven cleaner (lye) to get it sparkling clean again. Don’t do this with aluminium or you’ll eat the metal and generate hydrogen gas.

Or you can be boring and use soap.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
I gave up forever on frying with oil, i simply do not have the werewithal to clean it all. I bought an air fryer and it's fine.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Platystemon posted:

Yeah a fine mesh splatter screen really helps.

Mom gave me one of these for Christmas, saves a ton of cleanup. Get one of those and no more splatter. They're cheap too, about :10bux:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I hand wash my dishes because my building doesn't allow a dishwasher. Does the temperature of the tap water I use, in conjunction with detergent, matter? I've always used hot water and have no intention of stopping but I wouldn't be surprised if that was a bit of an old wive's tale in the age of Dawn.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Barring using chemicals you probably don’t want on your hands, heat melts fat as well as anything and gives the soap a better chance to work. Keep using hot.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

I hand wash my dishes because my building doesn't allow a dishwasher. Does the temperature of the tap water I use, in conjunction with detergent, matter? I've always used hot water and have no intention of stopping but I wouldn't be surprised if that was a bit of an old wive's tale in the age of Dawn.

Modern detergents often brag about how low you can use them without sacrificing cleaning quality - certainly here in the UK Fairy Liquid (our most popular brand) has both a cheaper hot water version and a more expensive (but cheaper related to the cost of heating water) variant.

Likewise clothes detergents over here will often brag about how you can wash at little more than room temperature and be just as clean as if you were doing hot water detergents.

A key point to note is that you should wash with the temperature range your detergent recommends: many of them use enzymes to aid the clean and they denature (effectively break) at the wrong temperature.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

PiratePrentice posted:

I gave up forever on frying with oil, i simply do not have the werewithal to clean it all. I bought an air fryer and it's fine.

I have one and I do love it! I'm gonna attempt chicken fried steaks this weekend

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Thanks!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

What do :mrgw: / :mrwhite: mean?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Fairy Liquid (our most popular brand)
When people say Fairy Liquid are they always referring to that specific brand? Or is it the generic for any dish detergent, like Kleenex or Xerox or whatever?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Trapick posted:

When people say Fairy Liquid are they always referring to that specific brand? Or is it the generic for any dish detergent, like Kleenex or Xerox or whatever?

It's the most popular brand, but in the UK we tend not to use the most popular brand to mean a particular product. We say tissues for the thing we blow our noses on, and... I forget if Xerox meant more but we just use the term (photo)copy for the act of duplicating one piece of paper to another (multiple times if needed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

On my way to work I pass an intersection that has 4 gas stations. The Chevron is consistently 50 cents to a dollar more than the next priciest option, yet it easily gets at least half the customers. My assumption is it's due to brand loyalty through advertising.